Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Tiny MK GP2X ArKade  (Read 28004 times)

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:31:35 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
Tiny MK GP2X ArKade
« on: January 27, 2012, 04:28:02 am »
My plan details.

- Mortal Kombat
- Horizontal screen

So far I have the WIZ wired up. One thing id like to mention is an easy way to check for shorts when soldering the buttons is the WIZ has a built in T-Mode that test the buttons. This made wiring the buttons a little easier. Like Benders I will be using a mini usb, this has been attached and is working perfectly (only charging, I tried to get the USB data +/- on but wasn't working as planned so i stopped before i ruined anything.)

This is the WIZ in the Test Mode showing each button. Blacked out buttons are being used. also you can see the mini usb, don't be confused the white and green don't attach to anything its just the red and black for charging. Also I have the battery connected to a separate connector so I can unplug easily.

2/3/2012 UPDATE

I started some wood work. Working on the CP proved to be challenging but I finally got something. The height of the cab is 9" almost 2 inches taller then what I was planning. Trying to keep everything to scale was hard because having anything smaller would of made the changeable CP very difficult to build. I wasn't planning on having a 5 button layout (MK) but I thought I should have at least one CP look some what like MK. also I found a video of the WIZ emulating MK 1 full speed so it will be playable after all.

The 15 pin connections are not completed yet. I will be posting some pics once I complete that part.

IT FITS!!
I soldered up the 15 pin and all the buttons. It wasn't as painful as I thought it would of been. You can see in the pics that its a tight squeeze, in some places where I thought a short may happen I added some electrical tape.

I finally worked on the artwork for this little guy. I created most of it from Photoshop, the dragons and the Cagester were pasted from other photos. Being a rookie I made the CP before having an actual design so nothing will match up. I will be making another CP to match up with the actual artwork for a more authentic look.

Update 2/9/2012
I mounted the screen horizontally on the GP2X board. to hold the screen I used Velcro tape so I can remove if needed. Also I tested the Gameboy magnified lens and it works as planned, I tried to take some photos of the screen with an without the magnifier but the magnified photos don't show the screen being magnified weird camera tricks I guess. If you look at the last photo it really should be the full area of the lens. crazy huh.

UPDATE 3/15/2012

Well this thing has been kicking my butt. Once I start playing with it, it seems to just drain all my energy.
I decided to keep it simple. The changeable CP was there but i wanted to keep the cab to around 7 inches, by shrinking everything it made making the changeable CP very difficult and possibly out of my skill range so I scratched the idea.

So far I finished the CP, and WIZ mount. I made a Coin door using a piece of MDF and a dremal tool. the two coin buttons are working. I haven't mounted to WIZ yet so its being held in.

Whats left?
The back door panel, Top panel, red T-molding and also some more MIDWAY graphics for the front and sides of the CP.

Update 3/23/2012

Well I got most of the T-molding and graphics on. I will be putting on new side art, the stuff that's on now is banged up around the edges. I mounted the wiz, kind of generic nothing fancy but it does the job. Once I finish everything ill glue the CP down and hopefully that will be it.

Also I still need to go around the graphics with a sharpy to blacken the edges.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 09:43:39 pm by 05SRT4 »

firedance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:05:51 pm
Re: Attempting a GP2X Wiz-cade
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 01:48:15 pm »
Looking good so far  ;D

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:07:15 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 01:59:07 pm »
So you've already lifted the screen from the boards?  Was that tricky or pretty straight forward?  I really loved the other GP builds and am excited to see another. 

That 15pin connection would be pretty awesome - perfect for miniture but has great application for larger builds as well.  Any thought to using a card?  May be easier than dealing with pins if putting in blind.  CP is like 3 inches though right?  So a robotron setup and a regular setup?

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 02:42:36 pm »
So you've already lifted the screen from the boards?  Was that tricky or pretty straight forward?  I really loved the other GP builds and am excited to see another. 

That 15pin connection would be pretty awesome - perfect for miniture but has great application for larger builds as well.  Any thought to using a card?  May be easier than dealing with pins if putting in blind.  CP is like 3 inches though right?  So a robotron setup and a regular setup?

The screen was easy to remove, when I opened it I noticed the screen was coming loose on one corner, so i played around with it and it popped off its only held down by an adhesive, if you look at the test mode picture you can see a small clear square there are 4 of those, and on the back end the ribbon opens up and slides out. You can see the ribbon already has some small dents from twisting it so im trying not to mess with it that much.

Robotron!! man it was hard enough to sleep last night with all the ideas running through my head now this dual joy sticks has just blown me over great idea! I was more on the fence of an authentic looking maybe just 2 button, then another with more like a Mortal kombat setup. but i guess if its changeable i could do all three and more.

But also with that though come the cab design, Ive only been able to look at pics of the Mario cab, and im note sure how hard it will be to mounds the 15 pin or card. I think a Mortal Kombat cab design would be easier for the CP but it would also be a tighter fit for the board and horizontal screen. Looking at the Robotron Cab maybe ill do that design instead, its seems deep and tall enough. there may be a change of plans like i said before im not married on the Mario bros cab.

Also i did a quick search for the card connection like you mentioned but i didn't see anything, could you provide a link so i can take a closer look. Thanks!

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 05:38:43 pm »
I didn't really use the right term so sorry about that.  What I suggest is board to board connector, like the Molex Slim Stack 54876-XX74 which pairs with the 55686-XX74.  Check them out here and go to the brochure.  I haven't used them but they seem perfect for a small application like this though you'd need project board on both ends for stability.  Several come with solder ends and have a nice secure connection.  You could just shave off the locks to make them quick changeable. 

I would not want to be dealing with cable on that scale so go with those or a ribbon connector, but I think the ribbon would not be a great quick change candidate.  Somebody with more experience should weigh in. 

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 07:04:48 pm »
Just ordered a GBA SP screen magnifier. It was 6 bucks shipped. I want to see what the effects would be, could get a bigger screen by setting actual screen a little further back. Not sure if anyone has tried this yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120846971501?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 03:28:43 am by 05SRT4 »

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 04:37:14 am »
I started a rough draft on googles sketchup. The cab was traced from the jackbuds Mortal Kombat plans everything should be close to scale on how I want it. The cab design will stay the same. the paint and t mold will be more like MK.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 07:40:37 pm by 05SRT4 »

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 03:44:58 pm »
I wanted to get some feedback on the CP do you think a 1/4" deep plus 15 pin connected will be enough to hold CP in or should i add some sort of snap in device or magnets?

Those connectors are only meant to connect data wires, not hold up to physical stress.

I would drop the raised edges and simply add a thumbscrew underneath the cabinet. The back of the control panel will hit the front of the cabinet under the display, making it impossible to turn. Makes the whole thing more solid, i.e. no thin edges that will rip apart. It makes it easier to make other control panels too.

Good idea about keeping the whole area opened, makes it possible to have wider-than-the-cabinet control panels if needed.

As for the wiring/pinout, try to keep in mind all the possible uses, i.e. 4-way joysticks, 6 or 7 buttons (+player start if it's on the CP), credit (unless you're going to put it where the coin door would be), trackball/racing wheel/spinner (mouse signals perhaps) and shifter (though that can probably be the same "key" as the action buttons).

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 04:26:02 pm »

As for the wiring/pinout, try to keep in mind all the possible uses, i.e. 4-way joysticks, 6 or 7 buttons (+player start if it's on the CP), credit (unless you're going to put it where the coin door would be), trackball/racing wheel/spinner (mouse signals perhaps) and shifter (though that can probably be the same "key" as the action buttons).

This is a micro machine right?  Can you even conceivably get a useable trackball at a 1/4" size?  Aren't you limited to the GP's inputs as well?

I think that snaps would be faily innovative and have a nice tactile feel, but magnets would work just as well.  I use a rare earth barrel magnet to hold the ball top on one of my joys and it never comes off unless i want it to.

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 05:36:52 pm »
Yes this is a micro arcade. The height should be around 8 inches, and the CP will be about  1 1/2" by 3". I don't plan on having more then 2 or 3 buttons plus joy stick unless i want a authentic looking Mortal Kombat CP but i could imagine trying to play with all 4 buttons within a 3 inch diameter. Ill be putting the volume, menu and select elsewhere probably in the coin door.

The only thought on a track ball would be a hacked mouse, but then again the WIZ doesn't support a mouse so i don't see making one.

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 05:21:43 pm »
Added some updated photos. Everything is slowly making its way. Thanks for any feedback given!

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 04:42:18 am »
Updated main post.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 09:10:18 am »
Well done man!  :applaud:

That is very clean looking and I think that you'll have plenty of space to brace in everything in the cab so those little CPs really are easy on and easy off.  I like to full art too, this is a totally fun project to watch man.  Keep it up!  :cheers:

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 04:16:56 pm »
Thanks Le Chuck!

elkameleon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2014, 08:31:00 pm
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 05:48:41 pm »
A thought on the trackball, I use to have a blackberry pearl, that thing has a very small ball that could work...
I'm not sure how removable the whole optical assembly would be, but I could check it out, maybe take some photos?
EDIT: on second thought, i'd really have no clue on how you would even interface the thing to the wiz... forget I said anything!

« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 05:50:19 pm by elkameleon »

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 06:43:00 pm »
Nice work
This is looking really good!
So glad you got the horizontal orientation worked out :cheers:
I was pretty sure it could be done but have been a little hesitant to try it out

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 08:49:23 pm »
Added an Update.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 10:25:01 pm »
Looking stellar man!  That's a tiny MK.   :applaud:   :applaud:  :applaud:

I'm working on a few different coin door approaches myself right now and it's totally kicking ---my bottom---, looks like you did a great job tho! 

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 12:47:35 am »
I started with benders idea of the plastic, but it looked horrible. I never really used my dremal until I started this project so I gave it a whirl and it came out okay. I could of maybe sanded it down more before paint but it puts off an okay texture the way it is. The buttons are just small mdf painted black and red. and the coin return are plastic strips  glue with CA. and lastly I used the top of a small nail for the key lock. I tried to make the black line as thin as possible but i messed it up. from a distance it looks okay though. Ill just remember to keep it 10 feet from everyone when they look at it.

dandare

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2013, 08:43:44 am
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 08:00:11 pm »
I love your build!  Looks fantastic!  :applaud:

I almost didn't post any pics of my mini when i saw this. Puts mine to shame.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 08:08:46 pm »
I started with benders idea of the plastic, but it looked horrible. I never really used my dremal until I started this project so I gave it a whirl and it came out okay. I could of maybe sanded it down more before paint but it puts off an okay texture the way it is. The buttons are just small mdf painted black and red. and the coin return are plastic strips  glue with CA. and lastly I used the top of a small nail for the key lock. I tried to make the black line as thin as possible but i messed it up. from a distance it looks okay though. Ill just remember to keep it 10 feet from everyone when they look at it.

Man I feel ya.  I'll be pleased if mine turns out as good as yours.  I have to do an over under with double returns and it is still kicking my tail.  I'm just not happy with the lines.  I may try carving in some materials other than wood, maybe plexi or I'll go give sculpty another shot.  Who knows, regardless, I think you have a great mini (or are we calling them micros?) and I would be proud to offer it up for close inspection.  If somebody doesn't like it tell them to do better and offer to put some money on it  >:D

Great job!  :applaud:

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 09:50:41 pm »
I love your build!  Looks fantastic!  :applaud:

I almost didn't post any pics of my mini when i saw this. Puts mine to shame.

LOL I still feel the same way about mine, especially when I look at Benders.

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 09:58:44 pm »

Man I feel ya.  I'll be pleased if mine turns out as good as yours.  I have to do an over under with double returns and it is still kicking my tail.  I'm just not happy with the lines.  I may try carving in some materials other than wood, maybe plexi or I'll go give sculpty another shot.  Who knows, regardless, I think you have a great mini (or are we calling them micros?) and I would be proud to offer it up for close inspection.  If somebody doesn't like it tell them to do better and offer to put some money on it  >:D

Great job!  :applaud:

[/quote]

Thanks man! I'm not sure what actually classifies something a mini or micro. These are getting pretty small though. After messing with my coin door I think when I looked at it the next day I liked it more. If I kept nip picking at mine id probably still be working on it.

dandare

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2013, 08:43:44 am
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 10:16:16 pm »
you could always make a micro size coin mech that takes micro size coins, and has a micro lock and key that really work.

too much?  ;D

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 10:17:57 pm »
lol to much, HA

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
Re: Tiny MK GP2X ArKade
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 04:34:32 pm »
Added and Update up top.

vcoleiro1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2018, 09:24:38 am
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2012, 07:40:53 pm »
Very well done, that is a great job.

When enough of these mini machines are built , perhaps one day we can put them together at some convention and have a mini arcade going. Would be great to see.

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2012, 12:24:38 am »
lol yeah that would be cool.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2012, 09:26:02 am »
pretty amazing little builds. I almost wanna try and make one of my own :)
What material is that made of, and do you have the scaled down plans?

No 1/64" plexi on the CP?  :lol
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2012, 08:18:41 pm »
This looks great!
Really nice work and finish! :cheers:

Yenome

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2024, 09:54:25 am
  • Punch a fish. Make a wish
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2012, 09:29:53 pm »
now you should sell it on ebay for 600 dollars muwahahahhahaa. awesome job tho.
My Gf made me put a sig up. /whipped

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2012, 07:39:23 pm »
pretty amazing little builds. I almost wanna try and make one of my own :)
What material is that made of, and do you have the scaled down plans?

No 1/64" plexi on the CP?  :lol

I just got the mk plans from http://www.jakobud.com and literally printed them off, cut them out and traced them on the MDF wood. The hardest part is soldering everything together.

I built maybe 3 or 4 mini cabs before I was happy with this one.

retrostark

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2017, 03:48:51 pm
  • Indie Dev/Custom Arcade Cabinet Hobbyist
    • RetroStarkCustomCabs.com
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2013, 02:57:06 pm »
this is an old topic, but i have been into mini cabinets lately and just wanted to say this is going on the list of ones i would like to build.
Indie Dev/Custom Arcade Cabinet Hobbyist

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2013, 11:50:42 pm »
this is an old topic, but i have been into mini cabinets lately and just wanted to say this is going on the list of ones i would like to build.

Thanks,
These mini build are very fun. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks for viewing!!

koolmoecraig

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2014, 07:07:20 pm
    • My Intervention
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2013, 07:19:37 pm »
Great job.  Looks awesome.

gwood1234

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2022, 12:29:56 pm
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2013, 04:47:25 am »
Hi, please could you tell me how you did the T-molding? I've looked around for plastic trim that I could possibly use but found nothing that small. I'm thinking of taking on a mini arcade project using my old GP2X. Many thanks

Gareth

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2013, 06:08:26 am »
Hi, please could you tell me how you did the T-molding? I've looked around for plastic trim that I could possibly use but found nothing that small. I'm thinking of taking on a mini arcade project using my old GP2X. Many thanks

Gareth

Hey Gareth, thanks for viewing. I used Styrene plastic strips that I picked up from my local hobby store. I forgot what size I used. These are what they look like Check Here then I sanded them down and spray painted them.