Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Trying to create monitor presets for KT-2914 (Betson-Kortek) MultiSync  (Read 45531 times)

RetroACTIVE

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 04:27:52 pm
  • Gramps
Re: Trying to create monitor presets for KT-2914 (Betson-Kortek) MultiSync
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2012, 06:46:33 pm »
Boy... I am just not getting this...

If I run Arcade_OSD I can see all of the mode lines in a table and can select each one of them for testing...

The one that works with mk is :

XRes  YRes   Vfrq  Vfreq (Hz)   Hfreq(kHz)      Type
400    256    60p   59.918       16.717           custom

gmame is setting 400 x 256 @ 54.82

so... gmame chooses the resolution that is closest to the native resolution of the game but it doesn't consider the Vfreq in that algorithm?  It seems like its setting the refresh rate to 54.82 and the monitor handles it fine (other than the fact it doesn't fit properly). 

I'm confused as to why it would pick that frequency if  its not listed in Arcade_OSD table of modes?

Thanks for your patience  :notworthy:

Happy Gaming!

Calamity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2012, 03:52:41 am »
so... gmame chooses the resolution that is closest to the native resolution of the game but it doesn't consider the Vfreq in that algorithm?  It seems like its setting the refresh rate to 54.82 and the monitor handles it fine (other than the fact it doesn't fit properly). 

I'm confused as to why it would pick that frequency if  its not listed in Arcade_OSD table of modes?

What we do with VMMaker is genarating a single refresh per resolution, usually the one that's as close to 60 Hz as our monitor_specs allow. This avoids wasting space in the mode table, otherwise we'd need to generate several refresh rates per resolution and each of them would account for a different video mode from the OS point of view (this was the case before GM). So we'd run out of space very soon.

GM picks the 400x256@60 video mode and recalculates it's modeline on the fly to match mk's refresh of 54.82. If you run 1942 in your horizontal monitor, the exact same mode will be picked, but this time it will be recalculated with 60.00 Hz. That's how it works.

So what you'd need to do is get the modeline that mk is using from GM logs, then run Arcade_OSD and set 400x256@60, and enter the "edit modeline" menu to edit the values with the ones you got from the log. That's how you'll reproduce mk's issues inside Arcade_OSD. Now, by tweaking the geometry there, you may come up with the corrections that need to be done. That's something that can only be done on the real hardware. Your results might help us tuning those monitor_specs.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2012, 07:53:40 pm »
Ok... getting there.

I went into Arcade_OSD selected 400x256@60 mode line.  I adjusted the values according to the log file and bingo!  I was able to get the screen to match what I'm seeing in mk.

Default modeline values for this is:
8.83  400 424 464 528 256 259 262 279

Groovy is adjusting it to:
8.82  400 424 464 528 256 272 275 305

Happy Gaming!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2012, 12:49:02 pm »
I went into Arcade_OSD selected 400x256@60 mode line.  I adjusted the values according to the log file and bingo!  I was able to get the screen to match what I'm seeing in mk.

That's good. So, once you reproduced the issue, did you try tweaking the vertical geometry to see if something improves? I'd try with the vertical centering adjustment to see if you find some values which work. Actually at this point I'd like to see a picture of it, I'm not sure how much it's cropped, whether it's a matter of a few lines or more.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2012, 10:16:59 pm »

That's good. So, once you reproduced the issue, did you try tweaking the vertical geometry to see if something improves? I'd try with the vertical centering adjustment to see if you find some values which work. Actually at this point I'd like to see a picture of it, I'm not sure how much it's cropped, whether it's a matter of a few lines or more.

Ok... here are some pics of what I have going on...

This is the geometry of the default 400x256@60 modeline:

This is the geometry of the 400x256@60 modeline adjusted to the mk settings:

Here, I played with the geometry of the mk settings.  I was able to get the image to snap back into the frame... the edges are warped a bit as compared to the default settings:

Its not perfect but this monitor isn't known for super terrific linearity across all modes either.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 10:19:12 pm by RetroACTIVE »
Happy Gaming!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2012, 05:29:31 am »
Well this is getting interesting. It's a pity you didn't capture the vertical settings once fixed, though by your frequencies I can see you're still using the same 305 total lines.
So, did you need to perform any vertical centering or you fixed it by touching the horizontal geometry??

Seems like you only changed Hfront Porch and the DotClock.

Unfortunately you didn't lock Vfreq once the problematic mode was introduced, so the resulting Vfreq after tweaking things is 53.9 Hz, too far from the original one of 54.7 Hz

In other words, it's obvious that your monitor is using some sort of autoadjustment (multisync monitors do) but, could you tell if it's Vfreq driven?
Steps to create a log:

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2012, 07:51:00 am »
I actually didn't mess with the vertical settings one bit.  I'll go back and check to be sure.
Happy Gaming!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2012, 08:11:39 am »
I actually didn't mess with the vertical settings one bit.  I'll go back and check to be sure.

That's possible. The interesting thing is that by just correcting the Vfreq and probably the Hfront porch a little bit the vertical geometry is also affected.
Steps to create a log:

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2012, 09:01:14 am »
Screenshot of vertical settings:

Just a note... messing with the porch settings really didn't pull the pic in enough... when I was tweaking it it really didn't snap into place until I messed with the dot clock setting.
Happy Gaming!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2012, 09:38:33 am »
Just a note... messing with the porch settings really didn't pull the pic in enough... when I was tweaking it it really didn't snap into place until I messed with the dot clock setting.

You mean the vertical porches don't you? But did you just use the vertical centering or you tried increasing each porch individually, increasing the total number of lines by doing so? What I'd do is to keep vfreq locked at 54.7 and increase the vertical front porch.
Steps to create a log:

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2012, 08:14:38 pm »

You mean the vertical porches don't you? But did you just use the vertical centering or you tried increasing each porch individually, increasing the total number of lines by doing so? What I'd do is to keep vfreq locked at 54.7 and increase the vertical front porch.

Yeah... I just tried out your suggestion of locking the vfreq... I couldn't get the image any better than this:

I then tweaked the horizontal settings (leaving freq. locked) and got the image to align properly... but it had an affect on the modeline settings:

:dunno  seriously... thanks for all the help!
Happy Gaming!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2012, 04:35:26 am »
Oh, I didn't mean that. I'd suggested locking Vfreq *once* you are ready on this state (Vfreq = 54.7 Hz):

Maybe explaining a little bit what I think it's going on helps. Usually, multisync arcade monitors need different geometry adjustments depending on the Hfreq value. So we'd group different video modes that more or less share the same horizontal frequency inside a monitor_specs range, and we'd find the right porch values for them. This works very well for my analog Hantarex Polostar, and the digital WG seem to work similarly.

But yours is the first case of a monitor that I've seen which seems to need different settings depending on the VERTICAL frequency. If you look at the pictures in your post from February 10, there we have two modelines for 400x256, with horizontal frequencies of 16.717 and 16.690 each, which are very similar values, but despite of that they show rather different geometry. It's not only that the one with 54.7 Hz is shifted down, but it looks as if the vertical amplitude was much wider. It seems like the fact that its vertical frequency is 54.7 Hz instead of 60.00 Hz is making a difference.

That's why we need to determine which values make the picture all right when working at 54.7 Hz, so lock the Vfreq there and play with vertical porches until you find the sweet spot, that might show the way.
Steps to create a log:

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2012, 08:50:29 pm »
This doesn't work the way I am expecting it to...

I set the modeline settings to the mk settings and the frequency is 59.877 not 54.7 Hz as shown in the previous photo... so I don't know what I did before... probably messed something up.

Tweaking the vfront porch values doesn't create a sweet spot and ends up adding more lines if I go back and look at the modeline values.

I've got to double check what I did.  I need a day to sit down as work on this... I'm trying to squeeze it in my day and am not giving it its due. :(
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 08:55:49 pm by RetroACTIVE »
Happy Gaming!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2012, 02:55:13 am »
Hi RetroACTIVE,

The process is:

1-> Unlock Vfreq
2-> Enter modeline values, including DotClock. Vfreq should become 54.7
3-> Lock Vfreq
4-> Tweak geometry, porches, etc. Vfreq should keep close to 54.7 despite the changes.

Steps to create a log:

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2012, 06:39:05 pm »
Hi RetroACTIVE,

The process is:

1-> Unlock Vfreq
2-> Enter modeline values, including DotClock. Vfreq should become 54.7
3-> Lock Vfreq
4-> Tweak geometry, porches, etc. Vfreq should keep close to 54.7 despite the changes.

Got it...

I've locked the freq... Then go back into vertical geometry and as soon as I touch V front porch... it jumps to 59.xxx.

In other words it's not staying locked... Is there a step I'm missing?
Happy Gaming!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2012, 06:50:15 pm »
I assume you're accepting the changes before leaving the modeline submenu, by pressing "1" (testing the mode)?
Steps to create a log:

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2012, 07:18:30 pm »
I assume you're accepting the changes before leaving the modeline submenu, by pressing "1" (testing the mode)?

Yes I just double checked to be sure.
Happy Gaming!

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2012, 05:55:03 pm »
You're dealng with an idiot here ;)

Enter didn't save the changes... After I tweaked the values and backed up a screen... then I selected save.  That locked the freq...

I tweaked V settings:

I tweaked H settings:

Here is where it all landed

Image is ok... looks like monitor is having a difficult time though.

Happy Gaming!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2012, 06:09:56 pm »
Wow, I thought you would find the right values lowering Hfreq (removing lines), not adding them! :)
18.35 KHz is way much more than required, anyway. So what happens if you add this line?

monitor_specs1    18300-19000, 40-80, 8.300, 2.750, 9.000, 0.190, 0.191, 1.018, 0, 0, 320, 448

Test mk, loht, but also games like pacman, dspirit, contra, etc.
Steps to create a log:

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2012, 06:37:23 pm »
Ok... MK much better... I adjusted my monitor settings with my OSD and got it to fit just fine.  loht... same as MK... real good now. :applaud:

Contra fits perfect with little OSD tweak... and others still look great!   :cheers:

Pacman and dspirit don't fit well, they are not the right ratio and proportion and the bottom is far off the screen.  The screen is all wavy too.

Side note...

Now Scramble and Galaxian are using the wrong resolution... higher res is selected:  
SwitchRes v0.013: [scramble] (1) vertical (256x224@60.61)->(400x256@60.61)->(800x512@60.61)

But its starting to look much better overall!!!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:04:04 pm by RetroACTIVE »
Happy Gaming!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2012, 04:55:54 pm »
Now Scramble and Galaxian are using the wrong resolution... higher res is selected:  
SwitchRes v0.013: [scramble] (1) vertical (256x224@60.61)->(400x256@60.61)->(800x512@60.61)

The resolution isn't wrong (perfect x2 scaling), it's the range being used what's wrong. This is because the change we did modified the scoring for that resolution when calculated inside its original range. I'd need a log to see what's happening. Also some logs for the pacman/dspirit games will help.

I'm guessing it's going to be very difficult to create monitor presets for this monitor by the usual ways. I'm not sure if it would require some new features in GroovyMAME or it'll be just a matter of dividing the range in enough sub-ranges.

By now we're going to add a new range to try to force scramble/galaxian to pass through it (monitor_specs1), also we'd like to make pacman go to monitor_specs3:

monitor_specs0    15250-15900, 40-80, 2.187, 4.688, 6.719, 0.190, 0.191, 1.018, 0, 0, 248, 448
monitor_specs1    16000-17000, 58-80, 2.187, 4.688, 6.719, 0.190, 0.191, 1.018, 0, 0, 256, 448
monitor_specs2    18300-19000, 40-58, 8.300, 2.750, 9.000, 0.190, 0.191, 1.018, 0, 0, 280, 448
monitor_specs3    20001-29000, 40-80, 2.910, 3.000, 4.440, 0.451, 0.164, 1.048, 0, 0, 384, 576
monitor_specs4    29001-32000, 40-80, 0.636, 3.813, 1.906, 0.318, 0.064, 1.048, 0, 0, 496, 768
monitor_specs5    32001-34000, 40-80, 0.636, 3.813, 1.906, 0.020, 0.106, 0.607, 0, 0, 576, 768
monitor_specs6    34001-38000, 40-80, 1.000, 3.200, 2.200, 0.020, 0.106, 0.607, 0, 0, 600, 768
Steps to create a log:

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2012, 05:15:44 pm »
I will run again and get the logs for pacman and dspirit.

I will add the new changes to the monitor_specs and re run the tests and get logs from those as well.

Thanks so much for being so very helpful.  Sorry this monitor and (me) for being a pain!

:cheers:
Happy Gaming!

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2012, 10:54:26 pm »
pacman and dspirit are perfect... mk is now not correct.  Re-tried caveman ninja and its also well beyond the screen.

I've attached the original pacman.txt (before this last change) all others with _latest represent runs since the last update to monitor_specs
Happy Gaming!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2012, 04:36:16 pm »
Hi RetroACTIVE,

I'm afraid you didn't copy the monitor_specs properly, as I can see in your logs (16000-17000 and 18300-19000 ranges are missing). Please double check it, specially the subindex part. Make sure there's no duplicated label for any monitor_specs. Fortunately it's been useful to discover the right range for the 288-lines games (pacman, dspirit).

I've done some additional changes, try the same games with these new settings:

monitor_specs0    15625-15900, 40-80, 2.187, 4.688, 6.719, 0.190, 0.191, 1.018, 0, 0, 248, 448
monitor_specs1    16000-17000, 58-80, 2.187, 4.688, 6.719, 0.190, 0.191, 1.018, 0, 0, 256, 448
monitor_specs2    18300-18800, 40-58, 8.300, 2.750, 9.000, 0.190, 0.191, 1.018, 0, 0, 280, 448
monitor_specs3    18800-19000, 40-80, 2.187, 4.688, 6.719, 0.140, 0.191, 0.950, 0, 0, 320, 448
monitor_specs4    24000-29000, 40-80, 2.910, 3.000, 4.440, 0.451, 0.164, 1.048, 0, 0, 384, 576
monitor_specs5    31000-34000, 40-80, 0.636, 3.813, 1.906, 0.020, 0.106, 0.607, 0, 0, 576, 768
monitor_specs6    34001-38000, 40-80, 1.000, 3.200, 2.200, 0.020, 0.106, 0.607, 0, 0, 600, 768
Steps to create a log:

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2012, 11:19:42 pm »
Ok thanks... I went back and fixed the error in mame.ini

Attached are the corrected logs.  contra, pacman and dspirit are not quite there... all others look good
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 11:40:13 pm by RetroACTIVE »
Happy Gaming!

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2012, 11:22:33 pm »
Here are the logs for the last set of monitor_specs changes...

I THINK YOU DID IT!!!!  :applaud:

Sorry for being such a challenge :(
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:01:46 am by RetroACTIVE »
Happy Gaming!

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2012, 11:52:22 pm »
Ok I tried a couple more... see attached logs...and had some issues.

Its looking so good though... there are so many vertical and horizontal working now than I've ever had... ever!!!

I think I can adjust btime with OSD...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 04:52:53 pm by RetroACTIVE »
Happy Gaming!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2012, 06:01:53 pm »
Try phoenix and tapper now:

monitor_specs0    15625-15900, 40-80, 2.187, 4.688, 6.719, 0.190, 0.191, 1.018, 0, 0, 248, 448
monitor_specs1    16000-17100, 58-80, 2.187, 4.688, 6.719, 0.190, 0.191, 1.018, 0, 0, 256, 448
monitor_specs2    18300-18800, 40-58, 8.300, 2.750, 9.000, 0.190, 0.191, 1.018, 0, 0, 280, 448
monitor_specs3    18800-19000, 40-80, 2.187, 4.688, 6.719, 0.140, 0.191, 0.950, 0, 0, 320, 448
monitor_specs4    24000-29000, 40-80, 2.910, 3.000, 4.440, 0.451, 0.164, 1.048, 0, 0, 384, 576
monitor_specs5    30000-34000, 40-80, 0.636, 3.813, 1.906, 0.020, 0.106, 0.607, 0, 0, 576, 768

For paperboy, you need to use Arcade_OSD to center the video mode 512x384@60, and then use the values obtained as a feed back for the monitor_specs4 line, as we've done before.

Steps to create a log:

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2012, 06:38:05 pm »
Well now... I think we are about done here.  :applaud: :cheers: :applaud:

I've not gone back and tweaked the monitor_spec4 but here are the adjustments needed to fix the geometry of 512x384@60 modeline

Thanks sooooooooo much for holding my hand throughout this.  I now have my new PC up and running sufficiently!  All these games look terrific!  I have way better overall accuracy than I ever did.

I will be testing more... If I run into anything weird or something I can't figure I'll post here.  But for now I would say you are ready to add the Betson/Kortek KT-XX14-SM monitor to the list of monitors that work with the totally awesome and most excellent GroovyMAME!!!!!

And again...  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Happy Gaming!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2012, 06:49:30 pm »
Sounds great, thanks for your perseverance too ;)
Steps to create a log:

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2012, 07:38:07 pm »
Tried two more oddballs... taito/midway space invaders and qbert... I think they fall into the same range

« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 07:57:14 pm by RetroACTIVE »
Happy Gaming!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2012, 12:48:10 pm »
For qbert, I think it should be fine like this:

monitor_specs1    16000-17200, 58-80, 2.187, 4.688, 6.719, 0.190, 0.191, 1.018, 0, 0, 256, 448
monitor_specs5    30000-34000, 40-80, 0.636, 3.813, 1.906, 0.020, 0.106, 0.607, 0, 0, 576, 768

For invaders, instead of tweaking these monitor settings and possibly breaking other stuff I think it could be enough to create an ini for that game just containing the option: monitor_specs5 auto
Steps to create a log:

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2012, 01:17:27 pm »
Sounds perfect.  I will give this a shot in a bit.

On the paperboy 512x384 settings... specifically the H settings, how are these translated into the monitor_specs line?  V settings seem to make sense to me but H settings seem way out there to me... Is it a units issue?

Thanks
Jim
Happy Gaming!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2012, 01:21:30 pm »
On the paperboy 512x384 settings... specifically the H settings, how are these translated into the monitor_specs line?  V settings seem to make sense to me but H settings seem way out there to me... Is it a units issue?

Ok, did you need to change the vertical part to make it fit the screen or just adjusted it horizontally?
Steps to create a log:

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2012, 01:24:46 pm »

Ok, did you need to change the vertical part to make it fit the screen or just adjusted it horizontally?

Both needed to be adjusted.
Happy Gaming!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2012, 01:32:45 pm »

Please be more precise. Was the vertical part overscanned or just shifted up/down, or both, how much, etc. :)
(I can just use the values you got, don't worry, it's just to be sure).
Steps to create a log:

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2012, 01:37:30 pm »

Please be more precise. Was the vertical part overscanned or just shifted up/down, or both, how much, etc. :)
(I can just use the values you got, don't worry, it's just to be sure).

Ahh ok.  Let me re-test.

I want to say the bottom right of the screen was in proper location, the top and left edges were well out of view.
Happy Gaming!

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2012, 03:06:02 pm »
That did it for qbert!   :applaud:

I went back and checked mk and it appears to have gone out with the change made for tapper and phoenix.
Happy Gaming!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2012, 03:08:36 pm »
This should put mk back into its range:

monitor_specs1    16000-17200, 58-80, 2.187, 4.688, 6.719, 0.190, 0.191, 1.018, 0, 0, 256, 448
monitor_specs5    30000-34000, 40-80, 0.636, 3.813, 1.906, 0.020, 0.106, 0.607, 0, 0, 576, 800
monitor_specs6    34001-38000, 40-80, 1.000, 3.200, 2.200, 0.020, 0.106, 0.607, 0, 0, 600, 800
Steps to create a log:

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2012, 03:14:08 pm »
same...
Happy Gaming!