Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Groovy Arcade Linux Live-CD, based on Arch Linux (official update)  (Read 71002 times)

NightSprinter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2018, 08:59:56 pm
Re: Groovy Arcade Linux Live-CD, based on Arch Linux (official update)
« Reply #200 on: February 11, 2013, 07:07:32 am »
I have also tried the following line in my xorg.conf file to coincide with my monitor's hsync settings:

Code: [Select]
Horizsync 15.7, 31-65 but without luck.  I do find it odd that the kernel boot parameter requires VGA-1, while X.Org kreds VGA-0.  I'll teet more this evening after work and report back.  I appreciate everything.  I am just confused, as I read somewhere one could enter two different rates in the config file via a separating comma.  Would I have to do two different monitor entries for the same port?

On a side note, amusingly also attempting to see if I can make wine or dosbox use a voodoo2 card installed for glide games.  Might that also cause issues?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:50:27 am by NightSprinter »
It doesn't matter how bad things are, it'll work out in the end.

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #201 on: February 13, 2013, 03:39:26 pm »
Well, THIS is confusing Calamity.  I'm testing out the live disc, and with the "stock" kernel and xorg packages everything runs fine.  Even when running in LXDE, the emulator has no issues with running Alien Arena, Looping, or even Vs. Super Mario Bros at native resolutions.

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #202 on: February 14, 2013, 11:04:12 pm »
Hey, given that the Live CD with no updates to the software is working.. would you think that one of your patches might have been overwritten?  I'm not sure what else was patched besides the kernel used and maybe SDL.  Could maybe Ansa89 or bitbytebit possibly provide insight as to what could have stopped it from working on a system update or for another distro?

Also of note: a lot of frontends/emulators either fail to build from AUR either due to not allowing 64-bit builds or missing an odd dependency that can't be satisfied from official Arch repos or AUR.

Dumb question, now that I read up on something: did you guys build the X.Org and MESA drivers with specific links for the use of Kernel Mode Setting?  If so, I think that's why updating broke everything.  I need confirmation.  :banghead:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 04:15:14 pm by NightSprinter »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #203 on: February 18, 2013, 06:05:09 am »
Hi NightSprinter,

Some patches needed to be updated to work with recent versions of Linux. I'm not doing this directly, Ves is doing the work and I'm eventually helping him with the tests, so I don't have the actual patches collection here. All I can say is that we have a provisional up-to-date live-cd we're testing "internally" and that all the important video-related stuff is working for us. Hopefully it will be released this month(?). Some minor bugs are stopping us from releasing it, all related with the user interface, you know, we're stuck in a loop of you fix something and something else gets broken. With the release, I'll make sure that all the patches are posted so they can be ported to other distributions, however I think the efforts should be focused on improving the current Arch distribution rather than patching other distributions prone to different issues.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Ansa89

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2016, 10:40:11 am
« Reply #204 on: February 18, 2013, 06:08:51 am »
I'll make sure that all the patches are posted so they can be ported to other distributions
It would be very interesting.
Earth could be the hell of another world

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #205 on: February 18, 2013, 09:32:40 am »
I definitely want you guys to continue on Groovy Arcade, it's just something that boggles me, though.  Even when I finally was able to update Groovy Arcade to the packages to run Wine (which I had semi-related issues), just updating to recent Arch packages caused everything to refuse to work.  I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out here.  If another user manages to go through the steps to upgrade to the latest glibc packages to add software to an arcade pc with GA, how is it possible to maintain the KMS/SDL/XRandR functionality that the live CD provided?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #206 on: February 18, 2013, 10:13:36 am »
Well, keep in mind I just have a very slight idea of the Linux OS, so I may be saying something utterly wrong. You're not supposed to update to recent Arch packages yourself with GA unless you really know it will work. This is because things like ATI drivers are a moving target, and you often need to modify the patches in order to keep things working, and this requires lots of testing. So it may happen, as it did a couple of months ago, that vsync just stopped working properly with the updated ATI drivers, and it took us a week to figure out the reason.

The way this will work (hopefully some day) is that new GA versions already patched are released, so you keep your partition of roms and snaps, settings, etc. intact and just reinstall the OS partition, so you get a fully updated system.  IMHO this shouldn't happen more often than once a year (I'd prefer once a decade) and in the meanwhile you would be just using the autoupdate feature to grab the latest grooymame/ume/gasetup/advmenu packages.

However things don't seem to work like this in the Linux world. For some reason that I don't fully grasp you need to be constantly updating your system in order to keep things working. Each of these updates can solve certain issues but *always* introduces new bugs. With Linux you have the permanent feeling of being running a beta version of an OS. My idea of how things should be for GA, is to provide a distribution that was rock solid in every single aspect that matters for the emulation task, and keep that one as the reference as long as possible. But you see, we have an 8 month old working distribution and you no longer can get Wine installed, does that make any sense?

So, although I believe that Linux is the only possible way to do video accurate emulation in the long term, I find this constant update policy a serious handicap for the viability of a project like this.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #207 on: February 18, 2013, 11:41:24 am »
I definitely understand how you feel.  If you'd like, I can try to collaborate with other people that may know more to figure out what packages break the functionality.  Aside from wine, I do know there are some other games suited for arcade monitors available for Linux that use OpenGL (sadly, some of them are only for purchase on Ubuntu or its derivatives).  With recent updates to MESA adding more features and speed to the open-source Radeon drivers, it's definitely something some enthusiasts would take note of.

I'll try to spend as much time further testing stuff out between my shifts at work.  I'll post what I discover on my own, and what I discover via friends in a new thread if everyone wants (and especially anything pertaining to this distro, will post here).

Ansa89

• Offline Offline
« Reply #208 on: February 19, 2013, 08:17:55 am »
Communication for linux users: here you can find the 15KHz patches for linux 3.8 (this time you will find a little surprise ;) ).

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #209 on: February 19, 2013, 05:47:57 pm »
Hi Ansa89,

Thanks a lot for the patches. The 25kHz support is very interesting. Eventually we should implement a method to allow custom modelines to be read by the kernel at that point, maybe from a txt file, as calculated previously by Switchres.
Steps to create a log:

Ansa89

• Offline Offline
« Reply #210 on: February 20, 2013, 04:19:04 am »
This would be great, however IMHO when the kernel starts, it shouldn't be necessary to load custom modelines.
What I mean is: "ok, the kernel is booting at crappy resolution, but the important thing is when I start Xorg, I wanna use my modelines"; in other words the switchres program is a good userspace program and should remain it.

NOTE: this is only my opinion and all critics are welcome, if you still want to port the modeline generator into the kernel, I will try to help you as better as I can.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #211 on: February 20, 2013, 05:15:19 am »
It's not really necessary, it's just something that might be convenient. For instance, with my Hantarex Polostar, the modelines built in the kernel are way shifted to the right, so the picture is cropped. No big deal, anyway.
Steps to create a log:

Ansa89

• Offline Offline
« Reply #212 on: April 29, 2013, 05:28:41 am »
Communication for linux users: here you can find the 15KHz patches for linux 3.9.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #213 on: April 30, 2013, 04:26:32 pm »
Hi Ansa, thanks a lot for the update!
Steps to create a log:

MonkeyJug

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2024, 07:28:20 am
« Reply #214 on: November 12, 2013, 12:54:18 pm »
i prefer this release to the current official release (dated 24th february) as the presets for d9200 seem much better, especially for vertical games on a horizontal monitor.

thing is, i can't find a way to avoid getting the black screen whenever i back out of a game...

anyone help?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #215 on: November 12, 2013, 01:06:31 pm »
Hi MonkeyJug,

The presets actually depend on the specific GroovyMAME/Switchres version, not the live-cd release. The presets were updated to the new crt_range format, that can behave different from the old one on edge cases. This update to the crt_range format was required to fix many issues and allow new features, there's no way back I'm afraid. It should be 100% possible to achieve the same results with the new crt_range format, by properly adjusting the ranges. The problem is I don't have a D9200 here to test myself, so this can't get fixed without user's feedback. It's a good moment for that because and preparing the new GM patch.

Can you elaborate a bit the black screen issue or send me to some post where you describe it?
Steps to create a log:

MonkeyJug

• Offline Offline
« Reply #216 on: November 12, 2013, 01:44:04 pm »
hi calamity,

i will use flying shark as an example, but it is the same for alot of vertical games.

basically, before the 24th february release, playing those games on a horizontal monitor (d9200) gave excellent results.  the aspect ratio was pretty much spot on, with virtually no vertical/horizontal adjustments needed.

now, with the latest live cd (24th feb), playing flying shark results in the screen being almost square, instead of 4:3.  i don't have enough adjustments to make the picture thinner, and get it back to 4:3 aspect ratio.  the presets in previous versions (at least for the d9200) were much better.  i'm not sure what changed...

as it stands, playing loads of my old favourite vertical shooters is impossible because i can't get the aspect ratio close to 4:3...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 01:46:38 pm by MonkeyJug »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #217 on: November 12, 2013, 01:58:06 pm »
Hi MonkeyJug,

By adjusting the ranges, I mean the actual crt_range lines, not the monitor. You need to redefine the edge cases. The game you say is 320 lines tall when rotated, that's a typical edge case: too tall for 15 kHz, too short for 25 kHz.

the presets in previous versions (at least for the d9200) were much better.  i'm not sure what changed...

The previous presets may have worked better for the D9200, they were probably stretching the games around 320 lines tall. Now those games are probably run at 24 kHz (you can check that in your monitor's OSD if it has one).

Things you can try:

- Try the D9800 preset (don't be scared: these are defined for 15-38kHz, just like the D9200), or...

- Try this in mame.ini:

monitor custom
crt_range0 15250-16500, 40-80, 2.187, 4.688, 6.719, 0.190, 0.191, 1.018, 0, 0, 224, 288, 448, 576
crt_range1 23900-24420, 40-80, 2.910, 3.000, 4.440, 0.451, 0.164, 1.048, 0, 0, 384, 400, 0, 0
crt_range2 31000-32000, 40-80, 0.636, 3.813, 1.906, 0.318, 0.064, 1.048, 0, 0, 480, 512, 0, 0
crt_range3 37000-38000, 40-80, 1.000, 3.200, 2.200, 0.020, 0.106, 0.607, 0, 0, 512, 600, 0, 0

Steps to create a log:

MonkeyJug

• Offline Offline
« Reply #218 on: November 13, 2013, 11:36:50 am »
i tried the d9800 preset and it is 99% perfect.  i tried about 50 games, and for some reason it also has problems with vertical games with 320 lines.

out of every game i tried, only flying shark (and twin cobra) are the ones with problems.  this time, the height is perfect, but i just need a little bit more horizontal to widen the screen out.  when i first loaded the game, it looked like it hadn't synced properly, and then i give it maximum horizontal (left/right) stretch and now the top of the screen looks like an old vhs video tape, which needs tracking applied, as it bends towards the top of the screen (just the top inch or so).  if i had a tiny bit more horizontal (left/right) adjustment, then it would solve it.  any clues how to get this?

even though my monitor is a d9200, it is effectivley a d9800 in all but name as it was produced in the last batch.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #219 on: November 13, 2013, 11:59:04 am »
Ok, I suspected that. I may join all D9200, D9400 & D9800 in the same preset.

I'm interested to see which resolution is being picked for Twin Cobra. This game works at 54 Hz. The best information is in the log, it would be great to see it. At least copy here the resolution and frequencies reported by Switchres (in MAME, Tab -> Game Information). It is possible to fix the width for vertical games from the software side but first I'd need to see what it's picking.
Steps to create a log:

MonkeyJug

• Offline Offline
« Reply #220 on: November 13, 2013, 02:42:53 pm »
it's picking:

432x320p

54.878hz

18.878khz

all it needs is another inch or so of 'H.SIZE' and d9800 would be perfect!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #221 on: November 13, 2013, 04:24:27 pm »
Well, the easiest trick is to create an ini file for the 'twincobr' driver, as 'twincobr.ini' where the mame.ini file is. Then enter the following:

aspect 5:4

The -aspect option forces GM into thinking your monitor has a different aspect. This option is global so you need to place it in a specific game or driver file otherwise it would affect all games. For vertical games, 4:3 means normal aspect, 3:3 square, 3:4 full screen stretch (ugly). This means something in the middle of 3:3 and 4:3 is what you want, e.g. 5:4. Try different values.

Obviously this will only affect those games (Twin Cobra & Flying Shark). If you want to affect all 320 lines tall games, you need to edit the range. It seems GM is picking the 18-19kHz range (2).

So one approach is to reduce the margins (horizontal porches) so the active picture will get wider. These are the default D9800 values:

monitor custom
      crt_range0 15250-18000, 40-80, 2.187, 4.688, 6.719, 0.190, 0.191, 1.018, 0, 0, 224, 288, 448, 576
      crt_range1 18001-19000, 40-80, 2.187, 4.688, 6.719, 0.140, 0.191, 0.950, 0, 0, 288, 320, 0, 0
      crt_range2 20501-29000, 40-80, 2.910, 3.000, 4.440, 0.451, 0.164, 1.048, 0, 0, 320, 384, 0, 0
      crt_range3 29001-32000, 40-80, 0.636, 3.813, 1.906, 0.318, 0.064, 1.048, 0, 0, 384, 480, 0, 0
      crt_range4 32001-34000, 40-80, 0.636, 3.813, 1.906, 0.020, 0.106, 0.607, 0, 0, 480, 576, 0, 0
      crt_range5 34001-38000, 40-80, 1.000, 3.200, 2.200, 0.020, 0.106, 0.607, 0, 0, 576, 600, 0, 0

So change crt_range1 line by something like this:

crt_range1 18001-19000, 40-80, 2.000, 3.000, 4.000, 0.140, 0.191, 0.950, 0, 0, 288, 320, 0, 0

Notice the values are guessed, you will need to experiment to get those modes centered.

A second approach is to ditch the whole 18-19kHz range altogether and send 320-lines tall modes to the upper ranges by stretching the resolutions, e.g.:

monitor custom
      crt_range0 15250-18000, 40-80, 2.187, 4.688, 6.719, 0.190, 0.191, 1.018, 0, 0, 224, 288, 448, 576
      crt_range1 24500-29000, 40-80, 2.910, 3.000, 4.440, 0.451, 0.164, 1.048, 0, 0, 384, 400, 0, 0
      crt_range2 29001-32000, 40-80, 0.636, 3.813, 1.906, 0.318, 0.064, 1.048, 0, 0, 400, 480, 0, 0
      crt_range3 32001-34000, 40-80, 0.636, 3.813, 1.906, 0.020, 0.106, 0.607, 0, 0, 480, 576, 0, 0
      crt_range4 34001-38000, 40-80, 1.000, 3.200, 2.200, 0.020, 0.106, 0.607, 0, 0, 576, 600, 0, 0
Steps to create a log:

MonkeyJug

• Offline Offline
« Reply #222 on: November 19, 2013, 03:09:52 pm »
Hi Calamity,

I have uploaded pictures of both presets (D9200 and D9800) so you can see the problems with Twin Cobra.

I have added a description of each picture.  D9800 is 99.9% perfect with all games, except Flying Shark, Twin Cobra and Galaga (that I have found so far).  These games are still playable, it's just the top 5% of the screen that is 'bent' like an old VHS tape.

http://s234.photobucket.com/user/MonkeyJug1/library/Groovy

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #223 on: November 19, 2013, 05:13:35 pm »
Hi MonkeyJug,

Thanks a lot for the pics, they help.

Can you confirm if these pictures were taken when using my suggested settings in my last post?

Seeing your pictures, your D9200 looks definitely forced when displaying the 18-19 kHz range. I'd go for these settings:

monitor custom
      crt_range1 24500-29000, 40-80, 2.910, 3.000, 4.440, 0.451, 0.164, 1.048, 0, 0, 384, 400, 0, 0
      crt_range2 29001-32000, 40-80, 0.636, 3.813, 1.906, 0.318, 0.064, 1.048, 0, 0, 400, 480, 0, 0
      crt_range3 32001-34000, 40-80, 0.636, 3.813, 1.906, 0.020, 0.106, 0.607, 0, 0, 480, 576, 0, 0
      crt_range4 34001-38000, 40-80, 1.000, 3.200, 2.200, 0.020, 0.106, 0.607, 0, 0, 576, 600, 0, 0

« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 05:17:26 pm by Calamity »
Steps to create a log:

MonkeyJug

• Offline Offline
« Reply #224 on: November 20, 2013, 03:29:18 am »
they were using the default presets for both D9200 and D9800.

i will try with the settings above and report back...