Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Unusual Who Dunnit GI lamp fix  (Read 2166 times)

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Unusual Who Dunnit GI lamp fix
« on: January 13, 2012, 01:12:11 pm »
I had an unusual problem on a Williams Who Dunnit. The right side of the playfield general illumination lamps were out (the orange and white-orange wires). All fuses tested good with the ohm meter. I finally found the problem and it was a break in the foil trace on the front (parts) side of the driver board. The break was underneath the plastic fuseholder F109 at the right side terminal. I ended up installing an 18 gauge jumper wire from the affected terminal of the fuseholder to connector J120 pin 8. This was done on the back of the board. That got the general illumination fully operational again.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Re: Unusual Who Dunnit GI lamp fix
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 09:59:15 am »
You know, I have a GI issue on my WD that I have never fully fixed but did enough to know it's not the usual fixes.  I'll have a look here.  Thanks, Ken!

Realistically, this probably isn't it, but you never know...

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Re: Unusual Who Dunnit GI lamp fix
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 01:03:07 pm »
What got me to look under the fuseholder was the fact that the board was already badly hacked. It looked like someone had replaced J120 and J121 at least 2 or 3 times before! I started checking continuity between connectors and that's when I found I was loosing the GI circuit between F109 and J120.

It would help if Williams would have made the schematics much larger and included the wire color pinouts of the connectors on the schematics.