Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mortal Kombat 1 Side Art  (Read 88822 times)

RejectedManiac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2019, 08:27:01 pm
Re: Mortal Kombat 1 Side Art
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2012, 09:57:58 pm »
Yup np. Couldn't have done it without the scans. Thank ctozzi for taking the time out of his day to do it.

Does anyone know how to do the halftone for the gradient background? I can't seem to get it right.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 01:41:52 am by RejectedManiac »

rikitiki

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2020, 01:17:35 pm
    • Custom Arcade Game Printing
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2012, 02:46:47 pm »
halftones are generally generated in the screening process when making the films.
coming from using a greyscale image the grey shades are converted in to the halftone dots when outputting the films

so for graphic work like this Ill be using an ilustrator plugin called phantasm to emulate that.
which is why I suggested having the cabinet in a vector layer  with the added cabinet bleed.

you can also create a pattern of an area of dots and do a raster fill from that pattern block in most programs
But alittle more time consuming and harder to create a dot pattern that changes this way.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 02:48:59 pm by rikitiki »
Saving the Planet one Game at a time.

www.ThisOldGame.com

RejectedManiac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2012, 03:57:08 pm »
I see. I'm not familiar with vector layers. :'( I just did the background as a gradient. As for the outline of the cabinet I wasn't sure how to "add" to the outline of the cabinet and did the gradient and then just do the outline where you wanted it as I didn't know how much more should be added. However I did make the canvas a little larger to give some leeway with the spot where johnny's leg is extended the most. As is it would have been a perfect fit and no room to tuck it under the t-molding. I then moved johnny and the dragon back to where he originally was by measurement of the original document as well as the midway logo and the registered trademark logo. I straightened up all the letters so they are perfectly straight and I finally fixed the white outline of the dragon at the top of the art. The only thing that would need done on your end is pretty much the vector layer, bolts, and the outline of the cabinet and flipped and I guess it should be done.
And lastly as for the gradient I scanned the very bottom of my unfaded side art as well as the very top and used those colors for the gradient. It doesn't seem like the right colors right now but my guess with the halftone done it will look a lot better. I am no expert and won't act like one. lol I'm learning and figuring it out on my own because my MK1 side art looks like crap ;D
I want a screened cp art from you too. lol Can't get much better than that! Do you know when the CP front and sides will be done? I can't wait to see pictures!

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 04:01:52 pm by RejectedManiac »

rikitiki

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2012, 02:58:20 pm »
First set of cabinet vectors with the halftone and cabinet bleed (aprox 1")
will need to to a test print to see how it looks of both the cabinet and a seperate Test print of Johnny to see what if any color correction or adjustments may be needed before assembly.
Hard to show in low rez but

www.ThisOldGame.com

RejectedManiac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2012, 03:14:23 pm »
Very nice. I've been trying to upload this thing to how many different places for the last 4 days or so so I can give it to you but it keeps failing. The lighter red part you have with the halftone seems to be a little off from the original. Not sure if you can change that or not. The top looks perfect though. I looked very close to my arcade machine and it seems half way through the halftone changes up. Here is a sample of the halftone from 1 of my unfaded scans with an idea of the halftone.

rikitiki

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2012, 03:37:15 pm »
not really sure what Im looking at here but FYI "onscreen" colors have very little to do with printed output
for example the screenshot I posted is the same red I did the test prints of on the cp art previously posted.

www.ThisOldGame.com

RejectedManiac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2012, 03:38:47 pm »
The halftone. The dots will prob be so small it would be hard to tell from a distance. Didn't mean anything discrectful. Hope you didn't take it the wrong way.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 03:44:20 pm by RejectedManiac »

rikitiki

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2012, 04:48:31 pm »
no not all
but really cant see what your talking about in that scan :dunno

Heres the breakdown of how it was orginally printed
Red 1 (cabinet red and Johnny sash) This was solid red with all white and colored areas knockout
then print colors Yellow, Tan, Blue, Red2(more of an orange red used in the halftone of the dragon
Dragon tounge, etc. then the final screened color was black which included the halfone on the cabinet and all other black art detail

Its important to know how it was printed even when inkjetting
this helps color matching and other details in the final print.
Now you know and knowing is half the battle  :cheers:

www.ThisOldGame.com

MKFan4Life

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2023, 08:18:00 am
  • My arcade machines...
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2012, 07:57:23 pm »
no not all
but really cant see what your talking about in that scan :dunno

Heres the breakdown of how it was orginally printed
Red 1 (cabinet red and Johnny sash) This was solid red with all white and colored areas knockout
then print colors Yellow, Tan, Blue, Red2(more of an orange red used in the halftone of the dragon
Dragon tounge, etc. then the final screened color was black which included the halfone on the cabinet and all other black art detail

Its important to know how it was printed even when inkjetting
this helps color matching and other details in the final print.
Now you know and knowing is half the battle  :cheers:

"G.I. JOE!"  Lol!  I say that all the time to the wife and she just looks at me like, "What an idiot..."  Guess you had to be a fan of the cartoon in the eighties to have this stuck in your head... :)

RejectedManiac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2012, 11:48:13 pm »
Ya I was born in 86 so I didn't come up in all the awesome arcade days and GI Joe cartoon. Although there were still some good shows and arcades prob nothing like back then. I'll personally never know. :'(

rikitiki

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2012, 03:45:56 pm »
ok reassembled the elements and loading for test print.
These test prints are pricey and wont be doing many.
but will need to see what the colors look like and how the elemnts all come together.
So what we have now
-Vectored cabinet with halftone with aprox 1-2" bleed off
-Vectored Midway Text logo for a cleaner look
-Vectored dragon logo
-Cleanedup up Johnny raster with bolt holes removed.

stay tooned...

www.ThisOldGame.com

RejectedManiac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2012, 04:00:29 pm »
OO I wish I could make it bigger! LMAO Well it looks great from what I can tell! Good luck on the test print!
Did you add 1-2" bleed on the back of the artwork? If the back didn't have a bleed it would be easier to align the artwork right?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 04:04:03 pm by RejectedManiac »

MKFan4Life

• Offline Offline
  • My arcade machines...
« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2012, 05:30:15 pm »
Can't wait to see a test print!

RejectedManiac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2012, 07:24:22 pm »
You ain't the only one. You know how hard it was to lighten up Mr. Cage? LMAO

rikitiki

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: February 29, 2012, 07:56:15 pm »
OO I wish I could make it bigger! LMAO Well it looks great from what I can tell! Good luck on the test print!
Did you add 1-2" bleed on the back of the artwork? If the back didn't have a bleed it would be easier to align the artwork right?

Yes back to
you really dont want something this big to start getting off while your applying it  ;)

test print finished and will post pics shortly
The details and colors (which I tweaked even more) look real good and pleased with the results
The cabinet halftone needs some work dot size is double what it should be  :banghead:

www.ThisOldGame.com

RejectedManiac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: February 29, 2012, 08:18:35 pm »
Ouch. Can't wait. Good luck with the test prints man.

rikitiki

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: February 29, 2012, 09:22:14 pm »
The first test print ran @60% size mainly for checking details and color.
need to rework the halftone dot size alittle but outside that so far so good

www.ThisOldGame.com

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:31:35 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #57 on: February 29, 2012, 09:27:05 pm »
WOW the prints look great.

Is it me or does it look like there are lines on the dragoon? Is that from the printer or is it just from the file.

rikitiki

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: February 29, 2012, 09:34:43 pm »
yeah there are. Not a big deal usally happens when raster images are scaled down and rotated in print
Once it goes full size print it'll will be fine

www.ThisOldGame.com

RejectedManiac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: February 29, 2012, 09:54:59 pm »
Wow it looks awesome! I see what you mean with the halftone. Like the dots are bigger than they should be? I think the color of Johnny looks great now!  :laugh:

MKFan4Life

• Offline Offline
  • My arcade machines...
« Reply #60 on: February 29, 2012, 11:58:52 pm »
OMG!  This is looking wonderful!  If you get this spot on, people are not going to be able to tell a restored cab from an original, lol!  Excellent man!

RejectedManiac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2012, 12:22:15 am »
 ;D You know the 2 things that did catch my eye was the weird color on his stomach and the colors on his chin and cheek. And I never could get the orange on the dragon tail that was faded.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 12:51:13 pm by RejectedManiac »

cnhartwel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 18, 2023, 06:11:37 pm
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2012, 09:22:07 pm »
With the halftone corrections you are making, will that make the upper cabinet area more maroon/red like the original? And I am not sure if its the picture but johnny's ear and face on the wrinkles/expression have a red color to it that i do not see in the original. This is probably to picky.  Everything to me looks excellent except for the top of the cabinet. Anyways, great work, these are definitely coming out fantastic
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:41:52 pm by cnhartwel »

rikitiki

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2012, 11:08:00 am »
With the halftone corrections you are making, will that make the upper cabinet area more maroon/red like the original? And I am not sure if its the picture but johnny's ear and face on the wrinkles/expression have a red color to it that i do not see in the original. This is probably to picky.  Everything to me looks excellent except for the top of the cabinet. Anyways, great work, these are definitely coming out fantastic

The red looks darker in person the camera and the white vinyl make it look brighter than it really is and yes correctly the halftone will make it appear darker as well.

odd on that again in person it dosnt look nearky as RED as it does in the pics but not as tan as it should be either.
I darkened up those areas alittle and will try result on next test.

??? Top of the cabinet? or are you just refering to the color issue in Johnnys face?

working on correcting the halftone now hopefully will have something to show this weekend.

www.ThisOldGame.com

cnhartwel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2012, 11:53:59 am »

The red looks darker in person the camera and the white vinyl make it look brighter than it really is and yes correctly the halftone will make it appear darker as well.

odd on that again in person it dosnt look nearky as RED as it does in the pics but not as tan as it should be either.
I darkened up those areas alittle and will try result on next test.

??? Top of the cabinet? or are you just refering to the color issue in Johnnys face?

working on correcting the halftone now hopefully will have something to show this weekend.

Sorry, I was making it confusing. The top of the cabinet I was referring really to how dark black it is. On the original with the halftone the top of the cabinet is still a dark maroon/red color and not black

rikitiki

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2012, 12:17:37 pm »
I gotcha.  But find that very hard to believe.
Knowing how this was orginally printed and looking at the orginal scan
the halftone pattern changes from top to bottom but its part of the same screen when it was orginally printed 1 print color
over the red. So unless your saying its marron from top to bottom its not possible.
but without having a piece of that art on hand I cant say for sure but the majority of this scan tells me its just a Black halftone.
and the small bit of red underneath the "heavier" sections of halftoning may give you the illusion of a darker red.

The orginal scan was pretty faded at the top  almost white underneath but you can see some overlap in the midway text
which is why those letters look so "rough."

All orginal prints that contained RED pigment in them have all faded. Red is alwsys the first color to go
thats why MsPac pinks are so faded and Tapper sideart turns green. (you need red to make brown).

www.ThisOldGame.com

cnhartwel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2012, 02:16:39 pm »
What I am seeing on my cab on the non faded side compared to the pictures of your print is it looks like there are more of the red "dots" packed closer together in the top area, making it not appear as black but a dark red color. Hope that makes sense.

MKFan4Life

• Offline Offline
  • My arcade machines...
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2012, 09:44:44 pm »
I think I am seeing that as well (not the print expert you are rikitiki), but as cnhartwel said, for instance if you counted how many red dots are from the split in the dragon's tail to the white outer ring of the dragon medallion (counting in 1 straight line), I count about 38 red dots until you hit the white ring.  (I guess the dot size has everything to do with this.)  Here's some example pics:

Dots at dragon symbol:

Dots at "Registered" symbol:

Dots at the "I" and "D" in "MIDWAY":

Where halftone changes from RED to BLACK dots it looks like squares briefly:

Just trying to be helpful.  Sorry if the colors aren't quite right.  I scaled the last 3 images, so it changed colors a bit.   :)

RejectedManiac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2012, 11:21:06 pm »
It's definitely not black. I'm 100% sure of this. Here is a scan of my unfaded side art.
Right click > view image

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 11:22:53 pm by RejectedManiac »

rikitiki

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2012, 12:18:45 pm »
I still dont see why you dont think its black  ???
the red was orginally printed all solid from top to bottom and was proably the first color to go down
 knocking out any aeras in white this would include behind Johnny The MK circle logo and text
The red you see from off regestration under the black confirms this
But regardless the black print final color wouldve contained ALL halftones, stiple detail in Johnny and all solid outlines in one screen setup. I can see this in the scan where the solid black outlines connect with the black halftone
and you can see the "bump" from the spot colors underneath both yellow and red

I did a test print of the bottom from the raw scan to confirm dot size at the bottom.
new print on top scan on bottom

can you upload that scan for me? asuming its full scale Ill do a raw test print the original scan is missing most of the red.
just to be sure Im not missing/seeing something. showing these tiny dot details on screen dosnt really do it justice.

www.ThisOldGame.com

RejectedManiac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2012, 12:50:25 pm »
Ya I'll upload the scan for you. I was just saying it didn't seem like solid black from the screen shot I seen of yours but since it was low quality I'm not sure if you had it solid black or not. To me what it seems like it was the solid red all the way through and they put a light layer of black over the red letting the red poke through giving it that maroon color and packing in the halftone the higher it got. It's what it looks like at least but I also have to mention this. It seems that there were a few different places doing the screen prints because MKFan4Life's halftone looks different from my cabinet halftone. I'm also attaching some pictures of the halftone up close on my faded side to see the halftone better.

It appears that if you kept the halftone on the underneath of dragon with the white boarder around it it may be good? But instead of it fading to straight black the halftone is packed together more. And I def see dark red poking through on my cab where you have black. Like it was translucent black if that exists?
And the bottom half of the cab the halftone dots are very tiny.

It's just so hard to explain in words ya know?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:03:43 pm by RejectedManiac »

rikitiki

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2012, 01:44:12 pm »
right Im following you thats the other reason for checking a raw print of your scan
but the halftone in my print does need work and that will be corrected as well.
and halftone is entire cab no solid at the top.

as far as differences comparing 1 side to the same side of another cab is one thing
but you cant really compare both sides.
Its totally possible they were done by different companies as Im not aware of Midways history
but I dont think thats the case. Screening in general will yeild different results in prints from one to the next
looking at the raw scan the halftones dry up, they bleed, breakapart, etc. during the run
and really NO 2 prints of any SILKSCREEN are the identical.
when it was time to do the flip side new screens, new art, new setups would yield different results
even with the same screenprinter.

www.ThisOldGame.com

RejectedManiac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2012, 02:00:18 pm »
right Im following you thats the other reason for checking a raw print of your scan
but the halftone in my print does need work and that will be corrected as well.
and halftone is entire cab no solid at the top.

as far as differences comparing 1 side to the same side of another cab is one thing
but you cant really compare both sides.
Its totally possible they were done by different companies as Im not aware of Midways history
but I dont think thats the case. Screening in general will yeild different results in prints from one to the next
looking at the raw scan the halftones dry up, they bleed, breakapart, etc. during the run
and really NO 2 prints of any SILKSCREEN are the identical.
when it was time to do the flip side new screens, new art, new setups would yield different results
even with the same screenprinter.

I ended up editing my post above your last one so make sure to check it out. But ya I see what you mean. I also seen in a video of how they get it on the wood. Looked like a hydraulic press was used for applying it to the wood for it to adhere better. And it looks like they then cut the wood out with the artwork already applied. Think it's done differently now though?
Sorry for going off topic.

cnhartwel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2012, 02:03:01 pm »
Only thing I can say for sure is that looking at my non faded side in person, the perceived color when looking at the top of the cabinet is a dark red. I think the only reason that it appears that way is because there are more of the red dots packed in tighter together than what your first print looked like. and maybe I was making it more confusing than it is, I know the actual red color is not changing its just the size of the dots changing. I am not a print master or anything, the difference is either the size of red dots on there are more of them on an original cabinet which makes the color not seem black at the top. These are so close to being perfect so I hope I am not being ridiculously picky. I will say all the work you are doing is amazing and thank you because I will be purchasing a set when you are finished.

RejectedManiac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2012, 02:05:34 pm »
@ cnhartwel
Do you see ANY red poking through at all thought where he has black at the top in the halftone on your cab or is it straight black?
A good picture if you can may help.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:15:40 pm by RejectedManiac »

cnhartwel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2012, 02:15:13 pm »
My cab looks identical to MKFan4life. There is not one spot going all the way to the top of the cabinet that is straight black. All the way to the top their are red dots. Compared to the test print, the only thing I can see different is the test has fewer of these red dots and the size might be a little off. Also, on the original cabinet the fade from the bottom to the top never gets to straight black with no red.   Hope that makes sense

comparing MKFan4life's dragon medallion image to the test print dragon medallion illustrates this. There are more red dots packed together and that is the difference that I am seeing

If I had the ability to scan a section of my cabinet to show this I would do that, unfortunately I do not.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:27:00 pm by cnhartwel »

RejectedManiac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2012, 02:24:58 pm »
My cab looks identical to MKFan4life. There is not one spot going all the way to the top of the cabinet that is straight black. All the way to the top their are red dots. Compared to the test print, the only thing I can see different is the test has fewer of these red dots and the size might be a little off. Also, on the original cabinet the fade from the bottom to the top never gets to straight black with no red.   Hope that makes sense
Right but what I was asking was at the top in between the red dots where he has black is there a darker red poking through or is it black?

Not to mention the white border around the dragon is too thick and close to the dragon tail which makes me think that was edited after out of my hands. The white border is half the thickness of the black border. Not even half it seems.

Here is the white border version I sent with measurements where the old border used to be.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:51:30 pm by RejectedManiac »

cnhartwel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2012, 02:37:37 pm »
My fault, definitely misunderstood you. Checking the cabinet up close and personal, It does appear the black is more of a dark red or there is some coming through but Im really not sure if thats my eyes playing tricks, Not fully understanding the print process is probably causing that.

RejectedManiac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2012, 02:39:47 pm »
My fault, definitely misunderstood you. Checking the cabinet up close and personal, It does appear the black is more of a dark red or there is some coming through but Im really not sure if thats my eyes playing tricks, Not fully understanding the print process is probably causing that.

It's almost as if it's the same red underneath but in the part I pointed out seems like there is a translucent black over the red to give it that dark maroon right?

cnhartwel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2012, 02:50:43 pm »

It's almost as if it's the same red underneath but in the part I pointed out seems like there is a translucent black over the red to give it that dark maroon right?

yeah It does. Need to go buy a scanner or something so we can get this perfect