Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mortal Kombat 1 Side Art  (Read 89062 times)

MK3FAN

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2022, 07:07:29 pm
Mortal Kombat 1 Side Art
« on: January 12, 2012, 06:50:47 pm »
Ok. I received some full side art scans from "ctozzi". The scans were sub-par in the fact that there were streaks on Johnny's spandex pants where someone tried to clean the sides before scanning and both sides are about 25% faded. I don't think anyone would be happy with the way they looked before or after they were printed. So...

I decided to fix them up. Man, what a hassle.

The rundown...

I left the monitor bolts on the image to help line it up correctly when it's applied to the machine. I had to re-do the black of JC's spandex pants because there were streaks in them where someone tried to clean the art and just ended up leaving streaks like on a window. Some of the black outlines around the dragon may look like they don't flow smoothly, but I followed the black lines and that's how they actually were. The edges of the art (around the outer edges) are a little sloppy, as far as not being straight, but that's ok because when they are cut out, the "cutter" can make them straight when they get cut. Make sense?

These images are NOT perfect, but for what they are, they will totally be usable...in my opinion.

The background color is as accurate as possible with what I can sample from the real sideart on my non-faded dedicated MK1. I chose not to fade the red as it went up to the top because frankly it was beyond my ability and I think this looks pretty damn close to factory anyway the way it is.

I hope they meet with your approval.

Here is the full res/size artwork. Please feel free to post your criticisms/appreciation/opinions on this thread. I am interested to hear them. Thanks and enjoy!...

http://www.mediafire.com/?a7yxuj0yh8ih0sh
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 06:13:34 am by MK3FAN »
Current collection - 28 cabs, 4 pins. (32 machines and not enough room)

ctozzi

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 24, 2022, 01:05:42 pm
Re: Mortal Kombat 1 Side Art
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 10:02:36 pm »
I will have the 1st set printed tomorrow and installed this weekend, i'll post the pictures after its done
Current Cab's
Dedicated Killer Instinct 1
Mortal Kombat 1,2,3
Terminator 2
Rampage WT
WWF Wrestlemania
MAME MK1
Zelda Theme Bartop

rash2236

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2012, 07:13:08 am
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 09:13:37 am »
please :notworthy: re upload !!

MK3FAN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 06:11:49 am »
please :notworthy: re upload !!

Done. Refer to first post again for new link...

MKFan4Life

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2023, 08:18:00 am
  • My arcade machines...
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 04:39:20 pm »
I will have the 1st set printed tomorrow and installed this weekend, i'll post the pictures after its done

Did you ever get this on a cab man?

MK3FAN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 10:08:58 pm »

No. His local print shop wanted too much to print them. He actually ended up selling the cab they were going to be placed on, if I am not mistaken.

MKFan4Life

• Offline Offline
  • My arcade machines...
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 11:37:44 pm »

No. His local print shop wanted too much to print them. He actually ended up selling the cab they were going to be placed on, if I am not mistaken.

Oh ok.  That must have been the one that ended up all black at one point, huh?

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:04:24 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 06:23:01 pm »
I think it looks good, thanks for the upload, I ended up using it I did change the background though and the dragon to. Ill be using it for my WIZ-cade

Thanks again.

MK3FAN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 03:33:27 am »
I think it looks good, thanks for the upload, I ended up using it I did change the background though and the dragon to. Ill be using it for my WIZ-cade

Thanks again.

You're welcome. That looks much better than mine. Especially the fade from red to brown. Yours looks MUCH closer to the original. Any way you could upload your un-moded originals that still have the MIDWAY and the unaltered dragon?

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 02:22:40 pm »

Thanks again.

You're welcome. That looks much better than mine. Especially the fade from red to brown. Yours looks MUCH closer to the original. Any way you could upload your un-moded originals that still have the MIDWAY and the unaltered dragon?

Im not sure what you mean by re upload the originals? did you want the actual big size with the faded back ground? and the midway and original dragoon?

I just used the mini images you upload for my project not the actual download big ones. I can play around with the big ones and change the back ground.

MK3FAN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 11:05:59 pm »
If you could do what you did on the mini version with the original full size ones, but not modify the MIDWAY or the dragon (basically just do the fade from red to brown that I couldn't do), that would be great. Thanks! Me and the rest of the MK collectors would be FOREVER grateful.

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 12:25:40 am »
Yeah no problem I will work on it tonight.

cnhartwel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 18, 2023, 06:11:37 pm
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 08:35:49 pm »
Man, if you can make this happen on the original full size artwork you are the man. I have been messing with it, but it is definitely beyond my skills. The top part should be a dark maroon and not just straight black, but maybe thats just my monitor playing tricks on me.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 08:37:20 pm by cnhartwel »

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 12:22:02 am »
Ive been busy but tomorrow im off work so ill play around with it. So I planned on just doing black then red. Does anyone know what the real fade is?

MKFan4Life

• Offline Offline
  • My arcade machines...
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 01:19:13 am »
Ive been busy but tomorrow im off work so ill play around with it. So I planned on just doing black then red. Does anyone know what the real fade is?

Although not incredibly detailed... here's the arcade flyer for the cabinet:

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=flyer&db=videodb&id=697&image=1

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 01:34:14 am »
LOL I would of punched Kano in the face!!

MK3FAN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 01:55:13 am »

Although not incredibly detailed... here's the arcade flyer for the cabinet:

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=flyer&db=videodb&id=697&image=1

Here is a pic of my cab un-faded...

The fade from red to dark is ever so slight until you get towards the top. Just slightly less of a red to dark fade than the smaller version you made.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 01:56:49 am by MK3FAN »

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 06:31:39 am »
Hey, I was able to play around with the photos, I have only done one side so far. I wanted to get some feedback before I start the other. I was planning on just rotating it then fixing the MIDWAY so its not backwards. that would be much easier. unless the other side is a cleaner image then maybe ill use that instead.

I made 2 different style back grounds. Ones lighter with the darker starting higher up and  the other is darker and the fade starts lower. also on the lighter one I was able to clean up the image in some areas.

Darker              Lighter

Once completed ill e-mail or upload the larger files.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 06:33:46 am by 05SRT4 »

cnhartwel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 08:54:24 am »
The image to the left looks more accurate..........and wow, its looking good. Thanks for the great work. It will be nice to see the final product

MK3FAN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 10:42:56 am »
Yes. Definitely the one on the left. Looking great!

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 05:12:34 am »
UPDATED -Darker Fade on Top, Brighter MIDWAY and also Brighter / Changed contrast on dragon and Cage.

Hey guys I finished the Artwork,
It took a minute only because I was using my wife's laptop. It didn't play well with Photoshop and such a large file.

Here are the 2 small samples.

I was able to clean up some of the washing stains mainly around the tail. I tried my best to fix the indents or creasing on the dragons belly. I made the MIDWAY a solid color and changed out the R trademark with a cleaner one. Also went through and cleaned up any small scratches or dents.
To make the other side I just flipped the image and pasted the MIDWAY facing the right way.

These ended up being bigger files then I thought. so the download file is over 160mb I think. I zipped both of them using Winrar. Im new to mediafire so let me now if you have any problems with the download.
http://www.mediafire.com/?kvoimrho8ax1oj6
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 01:47:58 am by 05SRT4 »

cnhartwel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 08:26:20 pm »
These do look fantastic, already downloaded. If is not too much trouble, making the top gradient a little darker red would be awesome. The gradient is so close to being a perfect match. The only thing missing is the pixels or whatever on the original cab but looking at these, not sure I would ultimately miss them that much. Overall, you have definitely done a great service to those of us that do not have as good as quality of artwork on our MK cabs like MK3FAN. Thank you
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 09:46:07 pm by cnhartwel »

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 01:50:37 am »
Updated Posted files, check them out. I made the fade darker on top. Its a darker red. I also brightened the MIDWAY and the ring around the Dragon. Also brightened cage/dragon and played with the contrast a little to try to get a better look (not so dark)

MK3FAN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 09:49:44 am »
Bad-ass!  :notworthy:  Words can't describe how awesome this is. MANY THANKS from the entire Kommunity.

cnhartwel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 10:55:39 am »
Thank you so much. Dont think they could have turned out any better. You are the man.

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 02:03:46 pm »
Thank you so much. Dont think they could have turned out any better. You are the man.
Bad-ass!  :notworthy:  Words can't describe how awesome this is. MANY THANKS from the entire Kommunity.

Thanks Guys im glad I could help out.  :cheers:

MKFan4Life

• Offline Offline
  • My arcade machines...
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 04:53:53 pm »

Thanks Guys im glad I could help out.  :cheers:

Fantastic work man.   :applaud: 

RejectedManiac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2019, 08:27:01 pm
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2012, 06:29:04 pm »
Downloading this right now! The only thing is that I might change is taking out the bolts. If this thing is not PERFECTLY lined up you will see part of the bolt next to the real one. Will let you know what I think about it.

EDIT: crap thought it was the actual photoshop file. Do you think you can share the actual photoshop file? My local shop doesn't print them without a illustrator file or photoshop file. Wonder what this would look like screen printed?!
Found a couple parts where you forgot to take out the crosshatch I think it's called.
1 under johnny cage's armpit and by the dragons mouth. I ended up fixing it up on my end. Your choice though if you want me to upload it. Still looking for anything that might have been missed.
Oh btw. I also fixed up johnny cage's belt color. I turned the belt from orange to red. Not sure if it's the correct red though.

And idt the psd is necessary as I just edited the parts I mentioned and saved it as a psd. Only problem I can see from not having the original psd is if anyone wanted to go in and add the black dots on the backround. Though the whole background color would have to be changed because what they did was just pretty much have 1 color and as it got further to the top they just packed the black dots in closer to make it look darker.

Next I'm gonna see what I can do to make johnny cage a little lighter and not so dark.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 08:22:30 pm by RejectedManiac »

MK3FAN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2012, 10:02:43 pm »
Yeah man. Please upload whatever you've fixed. If we can get this PERFECT, that would be tits!

RejectedManiac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2012, 10:30:15 pm »
Alright I'll upload both sides at the same time when I'm finished. Having some difficulty with johnny though. Not sure why he came out so dark compared to the rest of the artwork. The dragon and stuff looks fantastic compared to johnny.

BTW MK3FAN I'm gonna be starting a Killer Instinct restore here soon. Got a universal chassis on the way for a 25" tv tube where a couple of convergence rings were bumped by me because the factory for some odd reason didn't glue them down. This is going to be a lot of work. Going to be doing a video before I start.

RejectedManiac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2012, 07:08:40 am »
Ok I stayed up the whole freaking time working on this and my girlfriend is going to kill me. lol
Anyways. I did all of the finishing touches. Here's what I did.
I made johnny's red cloth a little lighter to match Mike's arcade art, I lightened up all the flesh tones which took most of the time actually, did a few touch ups where the crosshatch slipped past 05SRT4 and that seems about it. All that I ask if you can 05SRT4 is make this a complete square please instead of the outline of the cabinet to give a little room for error and flip the side art and have midway going the right way cause not sure how you did it. So do 1 with a complete square with bolts and another complete square without the bolts and finally it seems that MK1 side art is finished after the Midway logo is flipped!

Go over every detail of the artwork before we call it quits.
AWESOME work 05SRT4!
Cya around! :applaud:

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/8HWVGED8SZ/Left_Side_DarkerEDITEDlightJohnny.jpg.html
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 07:12:28 am by RejectedManiac »

MK3FAN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2012, 10:21:59 am »
Alright I'll upload both sides at the same time when I'm finished. Having some difficulty with johnny though. Not sure why he came out so dark compared to the rest of the artwork. The dragon and stuff looks fantastic compared to johnny.

BTW MK3FAN I'm gonna be starting a Killer Instinct restore here soon. Got a universal chassis on the way for a 25" tv tube where a couple of convergence rings were bumped by me because the factory for some odd reason didn't glue them down. This is going to be a lot of work. Going to be doing a video before I start.

Cool. If you need any help, let me know. I am doing a Tube swap on the MK2 I got recently from ctozzi and I plan on doing a video of how to do the convergence and explaining what it is/does.

MK3FAN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2012, 10:23:57 am »
Ok I stayed up the whole freaking time working on this and my girlfriend is going to kill me. lol
Anyways. I did all of the finishing touches. Here's what I did.
I made johnny's red cloth a little lighter to match Mike's arcade art, I lightened up all the flesh tones which took most of the time actually, did a few touch ups where the crosshatch slipped past 05SRT4 and that seems about it. All that I ask if you can 05SRT4 is make this a complete square please instead of the outline of the cabinet to give a little room for error and flip the side art and have midway going the right way cause not sure how you did it. So do 1 with a complete square with bolts and another complete square without the bolts and finally it seems that MK1 side art is finished after the Midway logo is flipped!

Go over every detail of the artwork before we call it quits.
AWESOME work 05SRT4!
Cya around! :applaud:

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/8HWVGED8SZ/Left_Side_DarkerEDITEDlightJohnny.jpg.html

Awesome. Many thanks to everyone. Only problem is I can't download the file right now due to limited bandwidth and having to use a government computer. I'll have to wait until I am home in a week to check it out.

rikitiki

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2020, 01:17:35 pm
    • Custom Arcade Game Printing
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2012, 11:15:23 am »
I posted this over on KLOV as well and would like to help with this project
theres still some work that needs to be done to this to make it more true to the original
The "graident" is not only wrong, FYI "graidents" dont always print correctly as you see them and the orginal was a halftone print that pretty much went from top to bottom
from about 90% at the top to about 10% at the bottom
not to pick but heres a quick comparison
original scan in the center latest "cleanup" on the right

the cabinet background art should be a seperate vectored layer
with the proper halftones and a bleed added to the the cabinet shape for an easier install since it will be impossible to fit it exactly.

A few other small issues Midway logo is crooked, and the MK logo isnt a perfect circle
its a little stretched out of shape and the monitor bolts should really be removed

So no time is wasted on whats allready been done
Do you have the laest CLEANED UP version of just Johnny and the Dragon without the cabinet?
the one I show on the left is from one of the posted stages of cleanup before the "gradient" was added.

and silkscreened control panel box art will be finished VERY soon.
Saving the Planet one Game at a time.

www.ThisOldGame.com

RejectedManiac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2012, 12:56:39 pm »
When making the new document with johnny cut out what should I make the bit? 8 or 16? Trust me I also want this perfect because I have a faded and gouge MK1 cabinet that needs artwork on top of that I would much rather have a screen print than any inkjet! Pretty much why I've been looking for the Killer Instinct side art to get it screen printed for my full KI restore. Waiting on the parts. Only thing holding me up is finding the artwork to get it screen printed. :P
Anyways I ASSumed that "midway" was straight as it's something done in the earlier stages as you know.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 12:59:55 pm by RejectedManiac »

rikitiki

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2012, 05:14:52 pm »
just to claify Im only offering to solvent inkjet the sideart the screening Im doing is for the cp box.

www.ThisOldGame.com

RejectedManiac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2012, 05:23:39 pm »
That's fine. Which do you like personally? Inkjet or screen printing? Quality and look wise.

rikitiki

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2012, 05:28:26 pm »
its apples and oranges
I do both and obviously would prefer screening whenever avaiable or possible.
in this case screening MK sideart would take ALOT of additioal work in halftones and color seperations
and would have to be done in a large enough qty to justify all these costs and time.

www.ThisOldGame.com

MK3FAN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2012, 09:46:19 am »
I'd like to be the first to purchase some sideart from you if you get it all fixed and ready. I only need the side where Johnny faces to the right. That's the side of my cabinet where he's all scratched up. The side of my cabinet in the pic above is pristine.

cnhartwel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2012, 08:20:07 pm »
I will be purchasing a set once these are done as well, thanks for all the work to the multiple members who are working on this.