Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Wireless Speed Wheel with MAME?  (Read 5799 times)

johnk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2019, 04:29:50 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Xbox 360 Wireless Speed Wheel with MAME?
« on: January 08, 2012, 06:25:52 pm »
I'm thinking of getting the "Xbox 360 Wireless Speed Wheel" to use with MAME.

Has anyone used this or a similar motion sensing wheel with MAME?  I don't play driving games much on my cabinet.

Controller:  http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wireless-Speed-Wheel/dp/B0050SY0L2
Adapter I'd buy:  http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Black/dp/B0032A0RBC

Thanks.

johnk

• Offline Offline
Re: Xbox 360 Wireless Speed Wheel with MAME?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 01:19:53 am »
It's no good.  I'm glad Amazon has a good return policy.

There are 2 problems:

1.) It's just not good for steering the driving games I tried (Pole Position and Cruis'n USA).  I'd much rather use my trackball than this.
2.) Unless you only have 1 joystick device on your system, the XBox 360 wireless devices are not a good idea.  The problem is that whenever they go into standby (after about 15 minutes of inactivity), they are no longer seen by the system.  Then any joysticks with higher IDs are no longer mapped correctly in MAME (for me, this is at least my 2 lightguns which have the buttons mapped as joystick buttons).

I also bought a wireless XBox gamepad, and I did think the analog thumb pad was pretty good for steering at least in Cruis'n USA (not as good as a real wheel of course, but it was fun).  I don't think I got it configured well for Pole Position, but maybe with more time.

I'm returning all this stuff now, and I'll probably try a wired XBox 360 gamepad.

tommyinajar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2023, 12:23:20 pm
  • My other cab is a Cube Quest
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 05:51:55 pm »
I can not imagine how anyone could play Pole Position with that thing. There are games you just need a 360 degree wheel.

The standby problem AFAIK is only "fixable" by leaving it plugged in to the console (play and charge).

johnk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 12:58:45 pm »
Yeah, even with the analog stick mapped to mouse control it's no good for Pole Position.  I think I'll just stick to using the trackball for the few times I play that, at least for now.