Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What is the latest version of TinyXP?  (Read 57764 times)

ASilver76

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2023, 12:26:44 am
What is the latest version of TinyXP?
« on: January 08, 2012, 02:18:07 am »
Does anyone know? Different sources say that revision 12, 13, and 16 (?) are the latest. But I can't find a changelist for any of these, or a concrete release date (the last one I can find is Rev11, which was released last May). If someone has the info or links, please post them.

Raitsa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2024, 10:45:35 am
Re: What is the latest version of TinyXP?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 04:57:23 am »
TinyXP Rev12 (October 2011)

Search for releases by user named eXPer1ence at the ---No torrents please - thanks!---.

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2021, 01:46:10 pm
  • Make It So!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 06:43:33 am »
Whilst TinyXP is a good idea in principal, it doesnt really work that well. Alot of the driver are not installed and for some reason they cannot be installed afterwards, for example, wireless adaptors, .net framework, and other important devices, and alot of the time i have trouble installing some stuff when using tinyxp.....it can quiet the minefield

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 07:20:49 am »
Whilst TinyXP is a good idea in principal, it doesnt really work that well. Alot of the driver are not installed and for some reason they cannot be installed afterwards, for example, wireless adaptors, .net framework, and other important devices, and alot of the time i have trouble installing some stuff when using tinyxp.....it can quiet the minefield

I think you might be confusing versions here.

TinyXP is designed to run without the bloat.  I have Tiny XP running in both my laptops (with legit license keys) and they work extremely well with everything I throw at it.  You can load it with drivers or without, and if you get stuck just find your XP SP2 disc and it will load the drivers for you.  I also use Tiny XP for my Windows eXPerience inside Windows 7 with VMware.  Actually TinyXP comes with VMWare so you can have Vmware running inside Vmware.  :lol

You will need to be careful where you get your Tiny XP.  I have downloaded several from different sites and installed it in a closed environment only to find spyware and several trojans inside.  If you do not supply a legit key, as soon as you download a browser you will get hit with WGA.  Cheaper to buy an OEM license and use XP Lite in the long run, but if you are going to use it for cab without any network access then you should be fine.  MIcroXP on the other hand is a nightmare to install any device, and I think this is what Lettuce is talking about.

I use MicroXP for a test client when I test my server builds in the lab.  I can get MicroXP to function in 40mb (no swap) and I have 10gb available so it gives me lots of clients to play with. 

Whatever you use make sure it is not re-packed with malware, and give XP lite a try first.

Good luck trying to get Mame to work in MicroXP.   ;D
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 10:35:20 am »

I agree with Ark. You may want to try again lettuce. TinyXP is all I use on my arcade machines for the last 5-6 years.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 10:50:02 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 03:47:46 pm »
i'm using version 9 or something. It's giving me no problems so I keep using it in all my projects.

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 02:55:26 pm »
TinyXP Rev12 (October 2011)

Search for releases by user named eXPer1ence at the ---No torrents please - thanks!---.

I haven't seen this. I'm still using 11.1 .  The only issue I've found is it won't let Ultramap create or edit maps within the ui. 'Micro' is for those who like to 'populate their environment'.
-Banned-

boardjunkie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2019, 06:05:58 pm
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 10:23:07 am »
I have rev 11 on this machine....been usin' it for just over a year now. It does anything I ask of it, and does it real well. I have a full XP install on my MAME machine, but once I figure out how to use Groovymame, I'm gonna wipe the drive and start over with TinyXP.

ASilver76

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2023, 12:26:44 am
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 04:38:34 am »
Awesome guys. Thanks for the info!

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 11:37:51 pm »

Definitely search under exactly that name. You'll see why.
-Banned-

rockyrocket

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2019, 02:13:03 pm
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 01:00:43 am »

Definitely search under exactly that name. You'll see why.
I am installing rev 12 as I type, found using the above search.
Thanks for the info.

spystyle

• Thanks alot, now I have to build a time machine and warn myself yesterday!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2021, 02:30:18 pm
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 10:52:25 am »
(I know this is an old topic, but I wanted to correct it for people who end up here via Google)

[ISO name and details removed pending legality ruling.  Will restore if Saint gives OK. -- Scott]

Or you can make your own with Nlite. See also Driverpacks Solution.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 11:22:15 am by PL1 »

xefned

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2021, 01:28:30 pm
  • Unearthing ancient threads is my special skill.
    • Matthew's projects
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 07:35:00 am »

I use TinyXP "Beast Edition II" and it works great with MAME.

I keep a little folder of useful add-ons like .net framework, JAVA RTE, that are needed by different utilities, things like CLRMame pro (maybe? can't remember.) and emumovies.com artwork downloader. PDF reader to read along with the "how to configure MAME" PDF.

But when the machine is fully ready to go into my cabinet, I'll de-install all the cruft.  If anyone's interested in links to the standalone installers for the various add-ons, I can organize the links. (most of them from microsoft.com and oracle.com.)

Searching for Zwackery, not because it's rare, because it's fun.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 01:04:51 pm »
(I know this is an old topic, but I wanted to correct it for people who end up here via Google)

[ISO name and details removed pending legality ruling.  Will restore if Saint gives OK. -- Scott]

Yeah, I don't think Saint wants anyone getting here via Google looking for that.  >:D
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

spystyle

• Thanks alot, now I have to build a time machine and warn myself yesterday!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2021, 02:30:18 pm
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 01:20:23 pm »
I can understand blocking links, but now even blocking file names ? Things are getting ridiculously conservative around here LOL.

We'll have to start using acronyms LOL

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:06:35 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 06:59:50 pm »
Nobody has replied to my post in the Moderator Forum asking for a ruling on the info you posted, so I assume that Saint and the other mods want the edit as-is instead of restoring all (or part) of it.

From the BYOAC rules:
5. Nothing illegal! Do I even need to explain this one? Need a ROM to repair an arcade board you own? Fine to talk about. Need a ROM to complete your MAME collection? Don't bother to post here. If someone posts such a request, please don't answer it -- no direct answers, no hints, no private messages.

6. Don't take it personally if you get edited by an admin or moderator. Things aren't always black and white and sometimes what is or isn't in line with the rules here is simply a judgement call. If your post gets edited but no other comment is made to you, don't stress about it. No one's mad at you or trying to censor your point of view. Just trying to keep it family friendly.
Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and the following does not constitute legal advice.

There's a fine line between discussing the potential consequences of violating copyright law (totally legitimate topic of discussion) and giving someone advice on how to do so. (not accusing anyone of this -- just using it as an example)

If allowed to stand, that type of advice could open the site up to charges of enabling/contributing to violation of copyright law.

When in doubt, it is better to err on the safe side so Saint stays out of jail, he doesn't lose big bucks when some ambulance-chasing lawyer drags him into court, and the BYOAC forums don't go bye-bye.   :police:
Here are two examples to clarify where the line is drawn between acceptable and unacceptable posts IMHO.

Example #1 - Acceptable post
I use TinyXP "Beast Edition II" and it works great with MAME.
*  Mentions a version of the software (same as mentioning a ROM name/version IMHO) but doesn't provide more specific search info
* Does not directly advise others to search for and download it

Example #2 - Not acceptable post
You should get TinyXP "Beast Edition II" -- look for the torrent with "[specific search information/torrent name]".
*  Provides specific search info and directly advises others to download it

Scott

EDIT: The legal questions involved here are rather murky. (legal vs. illegal, what is enforced vs. not enforced)

I've trimmed this post to focus on what is acceptable vs. not acceptable to post on BYOAC, based on my current understanding of Saint's position on this subject.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:44:07 pm by PL1 »

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 09:28:08 pm »
Owning a copy of XP does not give you legal permission to download a copy regardless of whether it is the same version or a modified version.

Somebody better tell M $ that.  ::)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 09:37:43 pm »
Owning a copy of XP does not give you legal permission to download a copy regardless of whether it is the same version or a modified version.

Somebody better tell M $ that.  ::)

Is this better?  :P

Owning a copy of XP does not give you legal permission to download another person's copy regardless of whether it is the same version or a modified version.

Scott

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 05:50:45 pm »
Nope. You can download any copy as long as you have a license to do so.

So I like tinyXP and I want to utilise the package.   As long as I have a valid license I can download it.  Same goes for 180 day trials.  I agree with your stance.  I do not agree with the accuracy of the contents.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 10:44:19 pm »
The legal questions involved here are rather murky. *  (legal vs. illegal, what is enforced vs. not enforced by M$)

Instead of everyone putting on their "I'm not a lawyer, but I play one on the forums" hat, I've changed my earlier post to focus on what is acceptable vs. not acceptable to post on BYOAC.

Saint pays for this forum so it is his right to define acceptable speech here.

You have a right to free speech, but there is no such thing as a "right to be heard" and you don't have the right to force someone else to pay for your soapbox.   :soapbox:   [/rant]

Scott

* = Nominated for "Understatement of the Year, 2014"

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 12:02:47 am »
Can we talk about black viper ' guide to turning off unneeded services?

Also rather than talking about someone else's release of the parts they deleted is there a way to talk about reducing the footprint of windows in a technical matter with a howto?

In the yester years, I used to do the slipstream installs.   Take you initial disc, down load all the service packs, driver packs.  If your favorite program supported silent installs you could add the commands in a script through a cool tool. 

If you can do that... There has to be a guide somewhere on what to delete. 

There is untold risk of that.. things not working or sacrificing lack of printing capabilities or some such. But if a smaller OS footprint is important you have to know some thing is going to be given up.

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 12:27:34 am »
handy little page
black viper
explains alot..that we need to know without crossing any line's

ed :applaud:
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 12:51:56 am »
Nothing at all wrong with discussing services to remove/disable.   ;D

I think it would be great if someone came up an emulator-friendly, detailed, how-to list of services/drivers that can be either de-selected during install or disabled after install for various operating systems/service packs.

Ideally, it would include notes to indicate which services might still be useful. (networking, parallel port, printing, etc.)

This might be a good topic for a wiki page. (haven't checked to see if someone started one yet)

Scott

EDIT: There is a Fast Booting Windows wiki page that might provide a starting point.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 01:11:35 am by PL1 »

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 04:48:47 am »
The legal questions involved here are rather murky. *  (legal vs. illegal, what is enforced vs. not enforced by M$)

Instead of everyone putting on their "I'm not a lawyer, but I play one on the forums" hat, I've changed my earlier post to focus on what is acceptable vs. not acceptable to post on BYOAC.

Saint pays for this forum so it is his right to define acceptable speech here.

You have a right to free speech, but there is no such thing as a "right to be heard" and you don't have the right to force someone else to pay for your soapbox.   :soapbox:   [/rant]

Scott

* = Nominated for "Understatement of the Year, 2014"

They are not murky but black and white. Running TinyXP without a license is illegal.  Running TinyXP with a bought license is legal.  XP is out of date in 5 more years so it is not like M$ is hurting.  Actually if you email them about it you would probably get a standard response.

Besides this topic is in the software forum with Nlited installs and nobody has called the police on us for that.  Send this thread to software where it belongs and lets get back to the building control panels and arcade machine restoration chat which is more interesting.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 07:17:01 am »
They are not murky but black and white. Running TinyXP without a license is illegal.  Running TinyXP with a bought license is legal.
Hate to break it to you, but simply repeating something does not make it a fact.

What you are saying may be accurate from a Microsoft policy/practices standpoint, but Microsoft policy/practices are not the same as federal/state/local/international law.

There are a number of laws that may (or may not) apply regardless of Microsoft's intent (or lack thereof) to pursue legal action.

It is the laws and legalese, not MS policy/practices, that makes the legal aspects murky.

One thing that is clear -- M$ has deeper pockets and more lawyers on retainer than any of us do.

lets get back to the building control panels and arcade machine restoration chat which is more interesting.
:cheers:  Agreed.  Stop making me think and talk like a :censored: lawyer.   :dizzy:  :P

Scott