Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Neo Dug - A mashup of two arcade hits  (Read 2397 times)

Zrooney

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 27, 2018, 07:33:27 am
  • Master Procrastinator
Neo Dug - A mashup of two arcade hits
« on: August 03, 2013, 11:31:34 pm »
I am just now getting around to posting to a cabinet that I have been working on. It is a cabinet that is based around a mame computer. The computer is a dual core Amd with 4 Gb of ram and all of that jazz. Right now I have two monitors. I think that I am going to use the LCD because it is easier to handle and thinner, so it produces less heat. I am just not sure how to mount it, whether I should build a shelf or decase it and then mount it up.

So far the cabinet is assembled into a basic shape. It does not have a lot of mounting things for it (for the monitor, marque, bezel).

The cabinet is based on a Dig Dug arcade cabinet. The origianl Dig Dug cabinet was bought for being used as a template instead of working off of drawings, which I have to say has worked out pretty well so far. The Neogeo part will come in with the artwork, as the goal of this cabinet is to essentially be a replica of a NeoGeo cabinet.

So far I have learned a lot about wood working and has been a great experience. I will try to update every weekend, but school (highschool) and stuff can get in the way.

*Not a lot of pictures at the moment because I need to resize them, and it is way to late to do that. I will see if i can dump more of them tomorrow.

McHale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 27, 2023, 03:42:17 am
  • For Duty and Humanity!
Re: Neo Dug - A mashup of two arcade hits
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 03:19:06 am »
The cab looks good so far. Nice.

The *ONLY* reason I didn't use an LCD in my cab is because I decided I wanted to keep my ACT LABS light gun which doesn't work with LCD.  I also have 21" CRT's that fit and work perfectly for my converted Asteroids Cab.  Had I not wanted the light gun, you better believe I'd have gone with the largest LCD that would fit.

As far as mounting it, you definitely want it mounted securely and the shelf may not give you that.  You want that thing rock solid so you can move or bump the cab without fear of it moving the monitor.  I've seen LCD's mounted with and without the surrounding shell.  You could take it apart and see if there's a real easy way to mount it without the shell.  If not, try to think outside the box so you can mount it in the shell.  Don't rush it and work on other things while you brainstorm.  You have plenty to worry about that require less troubleshooting.  My monitor mounting and surrounding bezel were the last thing I finalized.

Good luck.  Looking forward to the pics.

-Mc

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 12:18:40 pm »
If you go with the LCD, it probably has VESA mounting holes in the back, it's the easiest way to secure the monitor inside the cabinet. It should also be more than enough because that's what those holes are for.

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:18:51 am
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 04:18:54 pm »
If you go with the LCD, it probably has VESA mounting holes in the back, it's the easiest way to secure the monitor inside the cabinet. It should also be more than enough because that's what those holes are for.
Like this:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,130690.msg1351125.html#msg1351125

Zrooney

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 27, 2018, 07:33:27 am
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 10:09:35 pm »
After a semi - long hiatus from working on the cabinet due to life getting in the way, I was able to work on it again this weekend. I followed your guy's advice and used the flat panel monitor and bought a Vesa Mount that can be tilted up or down, and the best part is it was only $12 thanks to Bestbuys clearance sales as well as the item being a return. :applaud: The control panel was put together but not installed. Does anyone know of how to make the control panel be able to fold out for easy maintenance? I have a piano hinge and clips as you can see in the picture, but the clips have no place to hook on to like the metal CP. Those were the only things done in 6 hours time due to stupid things like the wood glue hardening up and having to figure out the button placement for the CP. Now that all of that is done, it should be smooth sailing from here.