Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "The Saloon" Arcade - Upright arcade cab project - [Updated 02/01/12] - COMPLETE  (Read 18366 times)

Woodshop Flunky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2017, 05:24:57 am
Wow... this cab is tip-top!   :applaud:

Very nice indeed; love the art, and the metal trim.

Clean, and very pro looking.   :cheers:

Complete mini arcade cabinet plans available.

dekar24k

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2019, 03:50:11 pm
    • ArcadeForum.com
Thanks a lot for the nice feedback guys! Appreciate it. :)
Finished project: "The Saloon Arcade" - 2 player upright cabinet

Joystick.net - Retro gaming news and reviews

wivelden

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2015, 06:46:57 am
Nice cabinet and great artwork theme. Can I ask what fonts you used?

jackiabu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2020, 02:55:25 pm
    • http://jackiabu.blogspot.com/
Re: "The Saloon" Arcade - Upright arcade cab project
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2012, 09:29:50 am »
Day 6 - Monitor, speakers and marquee

So finally my 29" (27") Makvision tri-mode monitor arrived from Xgaming and it was time for what I think is the most troublesome part of all this; mounting this beast of a CRT monitor inside the cabinet!

I used an LCD monitor in my first cabinet (bartop cabinet), but after I used a real arcade monitor in my previous cab (Rainy Days) I will never go back to LCD. Never. :)

I know a lot of you guys are LCD fans, which I can understand due to easy mounting and setup, but I will stick to CRT as long as I can get my hands on them (which won't be for much longer I'm afraid).

Anyways, in the following pictures I am mounting the monitor. The cabinet was originally intended for a vertical mounted monitor so I had to rip out the old monitor mounting bracket and make a new one out of wood. I had to get some help from my father on this one as it was impossible to hold the monitor inside the chassis while measuring at the same time.

It took us around 2-3 hours of messing around before the monitor was sturdy in place. Sorry for not taking pictures during the process.

I also mounted a set of stereo PC speakers and the marquee artwork (sandwiching it between two layers of plexi glass).

very nice work men :applaud: 

By the way I loved that thing that you would rather use an arcade monitor.
 No LCD screen. I do not want to hurt anyone, but anyone who builds an arcade machine and would prefer arcade LCD screen inside. He's just retarded! Or who had never seen a real arcade machine.
 Unless you're running games on HD.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2012, 09:48:38 am »
No LCD screen. I do not want to hurt anyone, but anyone who builds an arcade machine and would prefer arcade LCD screen inside. He's just retarded! Or who had never seen a real arcade machine.

Nice cab... I'M SO ANGRY I NEED TO GET ON MY :soapbox: AND RANT... and then caveat when it's okay

:applaud: slowclap.

[/quote]

elkameleon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2014, 08:31:00 pm
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2012, 10:38:53 am »

Nice cab... I'M SO ANGRY I NEED TO GET ON MY :soapbox: AND RANT... and then caveat when it's okay

:laugh2:

jackiabu

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2012, 10:47:09 am »

:laugh2:

Hhhhhhh you are so funny...  :laugh2:

elkameleon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2014, 08:31:00 pm

jackiabu

• Offline Offline

Careful not to choke ... I know someone who died from it!

dekar24k

• Offline Offline
    • ArcadeForum.com
Nice cabinet and great artwork theme. Can I ask what fonts you used?

Thanks! I used a font called 'Grobold'. You can find it here: http://www.dafont.com/grobold.font

AceRockolla

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2012, 12:46:46 am
Great looking project/cab! Love the art work and all the fine detail work.

I am currently restoring an old gutted konami 4p x-men cab into a MAME machine and have found a guy selling the monitor you used locally for $250. Seems like a pretty good deal if the thing works. I have an arcade vga 3000 so wanted to hear your thoughts/experience on using that card/monitor combination. Does it work pretty well? It looks like I would need to download Andy's multisync utility to ensure things worked the best. My alternative monitor until I found a suitable CRT is a 28" 16x10 LCD monitor but I think I would be happier in the long run with a more authentic viewing experience. Thanks for any advice  ;D

dekar24k

• Offline Offline
    • ArcadeForum.com
Great looking project/cab! Love the art work and all the fine detail work.

I am currently restoring an old gutted konami 4p x-men cab into a MAME machine and have found a guy selling the monitor you used locally for $250. Seems like a pretty good deal if the thing works. I have an arcade vga 3000 so wanted to hear your thoughts/experience on using that card/monitor combination. Does it work pretty well? It looks like I would need to download Andy's multisync utility to ensure things worked the best. My alternative monitor until I found a suitable CRT is a 28" 16x10 LCD monitor but I think I would be happier in the long run with a more authentic viewing experience. Thanks for any advice  ;D

It's a good monitor. Obviously, since it's not digital, you will have to compromise a bit, either adjusting it each time you switch resolutions or find a "sweet spot" where you don't have to adjust it (which usually means that you will have to settle for a smaller playing field). I'd trade it in for a WG D9800 in a second, but it's definitely good for being analog. The colors are vibrant and the geometry is flawless (at least on mine).

I definitely recommend it over a TV or LCD monitor. :)