Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: T-Molding Delima  (Read 3198 times)

hoffy84

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2023, 03:44:58 pm
  • It's not just a project, It's an obsession....
T-Molding Delima
« on: January 10, 2012, 09:59:35 pm »
I have a problem:

I bought 3/4" Birch plywood, my cabinet structure is mostly complete, and ready to groove the edges for the T-molding.

I am not laminating the panels; I am staining them for a furniture-type finish. I bought 3/4" trim, to find that it's too wide (because 3/4 trim accomidates the wood + 1/8 laminate)

I then bought 5/8" trim, thinking it should be close, but not close enough: It is narrow so that both sides are just a bit exposed.

I cannot do the 3/4" T-molding and trim the edges, bc the type of T-Molding that I have is chrome, which is basically a gray T-molding with a chrome LAYER that surfaces the edge, so I would risk exposing and peeling the finish; any other T-molding would have worked, but I HAD to get the chrome!

I came up with an idea of beveling the inner edge of the panel with a router do that the 5/8 T-molding will fit the width. I know this sounds hokey, but I think it would give the illusion that the T-molding fits the width.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this issue? I am going to try a test piece on scrap wood, but it will require a lot of work, and I'd like to know if this ground has been covered by anyone before.

Thanks!

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
Re: T-Molding Delima
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 10:33:54 pm »
Who did you get your T-molding from?   3/4 inch is supposed to be 3/4 inch and does not have an allowance for laminate.   Your 3/4 inch plywood is actually 23/32 which is very close to 24/32 or 3/4.

EvanW

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2018, 10:39:31 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 11:27:26 pm »
Did you try flipping the trim over so it sits flush with the top. I have 3/4" birch ply CP and applied an overlay that was probably no thicker than a couple sheets of paper. when I applied the molding I found it sat slightly too low ever though I routed right down the middle. I flipped the molding over and it sat flush with the top. THere was a slight exposure at the bottom but nothing too serious. Because I used black moulding, I just ran a black Sharpie along the under edge to hide the imperfection. You could try the same with a silver sharpie.

HanoiBoi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2016, 09:52:03 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 07:39:48 am »
As a workaround, if all else fails, I would also suggest coloring in the exposures, but rather than a sharpie, try to paint the edges prior to installing the t-molding.

If the t-molding appears to be smack dab centered in your 3/4" wood, you'll have the option to try to color match the chrome or you could go with a complimentary color to the design of the cabinet.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 07:41:25 am by HanoiBoi »

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 01:42:27 pm »
just go with the 3/4 I am sure that the overlap is so minimal nobody would notice

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 10:50:02 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 02:20:34 pm »
just go with the 3/4 I am sure that the overlap is so minimal nobody would notice

That is what I would do. In fact that is what I did do. I used 5/8 for my cab and then wrapped it in black vinyl, thinking that the vinyl was thick enough to bring it up to 3/4. The 3/4 t-molding I used hangs over each edge the tinest bit and drives me crazy but noone else notices it at all.

Dawgz Rule

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 04:28:08 pm
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 07:19:19 pm »
Having just built a cabinet with laminated plywood for some portions, I would have to say that 3/4 inch should work just fine.  I would recommend painting the areas where the T-molding will be applied with a matching color.  This will hide any imperfections should the molding be a little off center.

MajorHavoc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2015, 09:08:40 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 08:35:33 pm »
Rockler sells a tool called a double edge trimmer which may be just the ticket for your dilemma.  This tool will trim molding which is too wide flush with the actual thickness of the wood, it features dual blades which trim both edges of the installed molding simultaneously.  I cannot personally speak to how well it works but I recall a thread a while ago that mentioned this type of tool and thought I'd pass the information along.  
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 09:00:24 pm by MajorHavoc »

crashwg

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2019, 11:01:05 am
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 08:44:34 pm »
I came up with an idea of beveling the inner edge of the panel with a router do that the 5/8 T-molding will fit the width. I know this sounds hokey, but I think it would give the illusion that the T-molding fits the width.

If this is what you end up doing, make sure you try on scrap first.  If I understand correctly what you plan to do, you'll most likely cut through the "show" veneer and into at least the glue if not the next veneer and that will look like dookie.
If there's bees in the trap I'm catching em
By the thorax and abdomen
And sanding the stingers down to a rough quill
Then I dip em in ink, and I scribble a bit
But if it they wriggle then I tickle em until they hold still
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

hoffy84

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2023, 03:44:58 pm
  • It's not just a project, It's an obsession....
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 09:50:16 pm »
Thank you all for the suggestions!! I am new to this forum, (although I have been browsed them forever), and am amazed at the level of support.

I appreciate all your feedback on this issue. I'll finally get some time to try a few of these ideas on some scrap wood a couple weeks from now. I will follow up with some pics and let you know what worked.

Again, THANK YOU ALL!