Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: No sync with Asus/ATI Post screen.  (Read 1502 times)

Andypc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2021, 11:25:45 am
No sync with Asus/ATI Post screen.
« on: December 18, 2011, 05:02:59 am »
I have an ATI HD 4670 running in my arcade machine with a Wei-ya Tri Sync arcade monitor. My only problem is that the initial post screen does not sync. The XP boot screen is fine and I have no problem with the resolution once windows has loaded, but I am concerned that the ATI post screen my be at a resolution to high for the monitor. I know it is only brief, but is there a way to force it to 640 x 480 60Hz. I would have thought that it shouls have been this resolution anyway?

« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 06:08:38 am by Andypc »

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 09:27:36 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: No sync with ATI Post screen.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 07:44:17 pm »
it's syncing, it's just not able to support that resoulution.

perhaps your BIOS has a show boot options or disable full screen logo.

many of our big buck hunters run tri sync monitors and show garbled boot screens with no ill effects.

Andypc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 06:08:03 am »
it's syncing, it's just not able to support that resoulution.

perhaps your BIOS has a show boot options or disable full screen logo.

many of our big buck hunters run tri sync monitors and show garbled boot screens with no ill effects.
The fact it's not syncing means its putting out a resolution higher than 640 x 480 @ 60hz. The post screen does not display a full screen logo. The motherboard is a Asus P5Q-VM. Does anyone know what resolution the post screen is output at or how to change it to VGA?

Andypc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 09:07:44 pm »
Problem solved. It was the Marvell IDE controller post screen that was causing the problem and displaying a resolution that was to high. Fortunately I was not using it and have now disabled it in the bios.

MonMotha

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2018, 05:45:54 pm
Re: No sync with Asus/ATI Post screen.
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 09:16:12 pm »
A lot of BIOS startup screens (and yes, it will vary with screen if you have any add-on BIOS helpers like from "RAID" controllers) run at ~640x400 @ 70Hz.  This still works out to ~31kHz, but the refresh rate is higher than the standard/more common 60Hz, and a lot of arcade monitors will be unhappy with that.  PC monitors are all designed to handle it, though.