Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gameplan Sharpshooter-Roger takes the Girls to the Beauty Shop-update 9/20  (Read 13453 times)

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
Top rail ball gate or flap?  small red diamond lane divider?  pearly white nylon acorn nuts?  all my solenoid assemblies are pretty nice.  If you have any of these I'm happy to pony up.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
Appreciate you looking.  I've pretty much got everything.  somebody on rgp asked so I'm planning on finally finishing the plastics scans and making some boomerangs this weekend.  I've been distracted with the Tommy but I went down and sanded the PF in prep for hopefully the last coat of clear.  I had to go back to the superglue for the canyons around the inserts.  Filling them with varathene- it either sank in or never cured properly so it dug out during sanding even after a week or two of cure. 

I sanded all the black out of the shooter lane and it was so light I had to go back and stain the wood to match the rest of the PF.  Hopefully that turns out.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
Had a bit of a setback on the clearcoat.  I did some more aggressive sanding to try to level out a few areas.  Then I put a heavy coat of Varathane on.  Upon drying, I found that I had missed some spots sanding wise and also had cleared over some random sanding scratches that were highlighted by the new clear. 

I was somewhat down on the project and walked away for a while.  Even in that state I could call it done and these things wouldn't be noticed by 99% of players, the PF is way better than when i got it.  I decided I wanted to redo it.  I went and got a nice bosch random orbit sander - my old one was crapped out and I had been sanding everything with a quarter sheet finish sander so far.  The ROS with 220 did a great job of cutting down all the nasty stuff.  I was fortunate in that I didn't sand through the clear into any touchups except a few late black spots that I can recreate in a minute or two.  I'm glad I went backwards at this point.  Looking forward to sanding back up to 600 and laying another coat-probably the last.  The heat's broken a little around here so hopefully more progress soon.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
Plastic scans are available.  PM me your email if you want them.  off to the shop to see about a boomerang. That is all. 

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
The low end pin man must sometimes fabricate a part from cobwebs, carpet remnants and compacted sawdust found in the corners of the shop.  Case in point:  The always busted arch shaped plastic guide for the rollover switch lane on Sharpshooter.  Since this is a Low End demand item and is sometimes used as an obscure form of currency in certain pinball backwaters, decided to mint a few of them. 

Scanned the original and went to CorelDraw (no fancy boy AI for the LEP man) and extrapolated the missing area.  A complete boomerang hasn't been sighted since 1982 or so, so I dare you to prove me wrong.  I made it a little bit longer than it probably was so it can be sanded to size if adjustment is needed.

Made a wood pattern from the paper.  Rough cut on the bandsaw then sanded to the line.

Attached the wood pattern to a board and set it up to allow clamping of the plexi off to the side.  no room to clamp the workpiece itself on this small part.  that liquid on the piece is the sweat off the LEP Man's brow.  Don't worry, I cleaned these with naptha. 

Rough Routed piece.  Had to carefully select the last part routed since it is no longer clamped during the final cut. 

After sanding the edges up to 800 grit, laying out and drilling the holes with a sharp bit, these are ready to go. 

One is for me, One's promised to PBJ, one's for anyone who needs it.  If you want to best match the original you can add a decal for the part number and breath 32 years of nicotine on it.

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
The LEP man needs a 3D printer. ;)

Good work though!

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm

You could cut one of those in 60 seconds, without the template, with a scroll saw. 

I love my scroll saw.  :)

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
The LEP man needs a 3D printer. ;)

Good work though!

The LEP man does not turn down donations of High End Tools.

I'll trade you a package of fresh flour tortillas.  Sound good?

Not necessary- just pm me your address and I'll put a stamp on it. 

You could cut one of those in 60 seconds, without the template, with a scroll saw. 

I love my scroll saw.  :)

The actual cutting is about 60 seconds with the router.  The template gives a better result when the goal is making consistent multiples.  It minimizes the sanding as well- you only have to finish the edge rather than sanding each individual piece to the line.  I had a nice scrollsaw in the Bureau of Wood Adjustment for a few years, but I just didn't use it enough to justify the space required.  Also, this is a simple piece but it was also practice for the more complex Tommy VUK plastics I'm getting ready to run.  I doubt the scrollsaw would help with the small protrusions on that plastic .   :cheers:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html

I'll trade you a package of fresh flour tortillas.  Sound good?

Not necessary- just pm me your address and I'll put a stamp on it. 

They're San Antonio tortillas, fool. You take them when offered.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:10:55 pm by yotsuya »
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
The actual cutting is about 60 seconds with the router. 

'Actual cutting' is always 60 seconds.  It's that 2 hours of prep time that'll get you. 

The scroll saw is nice to have around when working on pins specifically for cutting plastics. 

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
I'll see your Puro San Antonio tortillas, and raise you a pulled pork sandwich from Speedy's and a dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts picked up 10 minutes before the hot light goes out.  Don't tell me about the food ;D  :laugh2:.  I sincerely appreciate PBJ's offer but remember, there's damn near as much Mex and SA heritage around NC these days as there is in TX. 

My brother lived in Austin for a while.  Good stuff to eat down TX way fo sho. 

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
@ChadTower -
It's just not the method I would pick.  I'm an avowed router maniac.  We'll just have to disagree.  It's all good.   :cheers:

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
You are most welcome.  Already broke my Tommy VUK plastic - due to the vuk rather than PF shots as I suspected.  Its a design flaw- it needs more clearance on the left inside of the slot so the ball doesn't bash it on the way up.  on the right side it hits the habitrail metal rather than the plastic.    More to come on that one. 

Sprayed either the last or 2nd to last CC on Roger- haven't decided yet.  I've got a RO polisher so I might knock down a few nibs with high grit paper and try polishing, if it sucks I can always scuff it and spray one more. 

I stripped the cabinet and made a deal for a stencil from Brian at Gamestencils.com based on my redraw.  Will def. post up on how that goes- my first stencil job.  Need to experiment and find a good wire brush for the webbing. 

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
Re: Gameplan Sharpshooter-Roger takes the Girls to the Beauty Shop-update 9/20
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2012, 07:43:49 pm »

ROGER HOOKED UP WITH A COUPLE OF STRIPPERS!

>:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Here's what he looked like after they returned him to the garage and I patched him up with some primer and body filler.  Got the stencils, got the red paint, just gotta get on with it.