Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GameEx Help - picking a front end  (Read 1861 times)

zero_koop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2015, 07:49:41 pm
GameEx Help - picking a front end
« on: December 18, 2011, 11:05:24 am »
Hello, I'm beginning my arcade cabinet project but I'm still in the process of picking my front end.  I don't mind paying for something so right now I'm considering GameEx, Maximus Arcade, and HyperSpin.

I have a question about how to launch a particular version of a game in GameEx.  In particular, I want to be able to launch the 2-player version of the game X-men instead of the 6-player version (this allows me to pick a character rather then be forced to use Cyclops which is hard coded to player 1 in the 6-player version).  I know I have a working version of the 2,4, and 6 player versions because I can use Mame32 to launch any of them.  But when GameEx scans my ROM list, it recognizes X-men but doesn't allow me to choose which version to play.  This also affects other games like TMNT and it is just one of those big problems (that I'm sure have a solution) that I want to get out of the way as I'm evaluating front ends.

Just FYI, I don't think my computer will be able to run HyperSpin (it lags a little even with GameEx) and I've heard troubling things about support for Maximus Arcade that have me worried.

Thanks for the help, I look forward to being a part of this community going forward!

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
Re: GameEx Help - picking a front end
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 08:20:08 am »
Just to help you narrow your choice there have been alot of problems getting a valid code to run Maximus Arcade.  It looks like support for this front end has dried up.  Gamex is very well supported and updates regularly.  Hyperspin has been promising an update for over a year.  It will come when it is ready but will it ever be ready?

gonzo90017

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2019, 02:41:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 02:06:43 pm »
If it lags with both those Frontends you might want to give Mamewah or Mala a spin. They both have lower system requirements especially Mamewah.

zero_koop

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2015, 07:49:41 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 04:51:57 pm »
Thanks.  I figured out that it if I go into the MAME menu from the Home page, select All Games, it only gives me 1 choice for X-men.  But, if I go into Emulated Games from the Home page, select MAME, it will list a lot more games and will let me choose from all the versions of X-men.  So I can play all of the versions, but I'd like to put the version I want into the "normal" MAME menu on the Home page.  Any ideas how to do that?  Again, it's not just about this one game, I'd like to know how to do this for other games too.

wizkid32

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2013, 07:27:03 pm
  • Portland Trailblazers, FTW!
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 08:32:22 pm »
Not sure about your Game-Ex problem, but you should try Hyperspin!  It runs on my ancient laptop, albeit, a bit slowly.  BTW, my laptop can't always run classics on M.A.M.E. at full speed!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your
(")_(") signature and help him on his quest for world domination.

Best,
Wizkid32

nullPointer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2021, 10:09:31 pm
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 11:35:54 am »
Thanks.  I figured out that it if I go into the MAME menu from the Home page, select All Games, it only gives me 1 choice for X-men.  But, if I go into Emulated Games from the Home page, select MAME, it will list a lot more games and will let me choose from all the versions of X-men.  So I can play all of the versions, but I'd like to put the version I want into the "normal" MAME menu on the Home page.  Any ideas how to do that?  Again, it's not just about this one game, I'd like to know how to do this for other games too.

Come on over to the GameEx forums!  I'd ask to take a look at your gameex.ini, but it would be better if you post it over there.  The support system over there is practically second to none.  I'm sure someone over there can get you going on the right track.