Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Joyport USB on PC....driver?  (Read 5609 times)

psycr0tic1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Never
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
Joyport USB on PC....driver?
« on: June 12, 2002, 11:49:54 am »
Hi, I have a Joyport USB controller adapter (it adapts PS, genesis and n64 controllers)  but it only comes with software for use on a macintosh.  I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to get it to work on a PC (it seems like it shouldn't be too hard since it is USB  based)

If anyone knows how to make it work or has suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Todd_H

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2021, 06:46:41 pm
  • Build my own cabinet?
Re: Joyport USB on PC....driver?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2002, 07:49:25 am »
As long as it is USB compliant, it should work no problem.
Tired of pop-up and pop-under ads?  Why not download the FREE Mozilla web browser at www.mozilla.org !

psycr0tic1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2002, 04:14:20 pm »
As long as it is USB compliant, it should work no problem.

Hmm, that is what I was thinking......but I'm not sure how to make it work.  I'm using Windows XP.  When I plug it in it recognizes that there is a USB device plugged in and it says it has no software for it............I plug a genesis controller into the adapter and I can't get the computer to recognize that a controller is plugged in

Todd_H

• Offline Offline
  • Build my own cabinet?
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2002, 06:28:41 pm »
Are you plugging the Genesis controller into the adapter and then plugging it into the computer?  Or are you plugging the adapter in first and then plugging the controller into the adapter?  Also you probably know this, but I have to mention that USB devices should always be plugged in after the operating system has booted up.  
Tired of pop-up and pop-under ads?  Why not download the FREE Mozilla web browser at www.mozilla.org !

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2002, 06:34:08 pm »
Hmm, that is what I was thinking......but I'm not sure how to make it work.  I'm using Windows XP.  When I plug it in it recognizes that there is a USB device plugged in and it says it has no software for it............I plug a genesis controller into the adapter and I can't get the computer to recognize that a controller is plugged in

Have you tried plugging the genesis controller in to the adapter first, and then the adapter+controller in the PC?  

If XP can't identify it still, try selecting a game controller driver for a game pad with three or four (or six or seven buttons for six button version) buttons.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

Todd_H

• Offline Offline
  • Build my own cabinet?
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2002, 08:15:49 pm »
Yep, u_rebelscum, that's what I'm thinking as well.  I would definitely plug the controller into the adapter and then plug the whole thing into the USB port.

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2002, 12:11:51 am »
Yep, u_rebelscum, that's what I'm thinking as well.  I would definitely plug the controller into the adapter and then plug the whole thing into the USB port.

Heh, heh.  Sorry I just repeated what you said, but it looks like I clicked on reply just before you posted your answer.  And you're right that USB devices should be plugged in with the computer on.  psycr0tic1 should also uninstall any non-working drivers installed when he first tried installing the device without the controller plugged in, before pluggin it in with the controller attached.

If that doesn't work, psycr0tic1, could you post a link to your product?
Robin
Knowledge is Power

psycr0tic1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2002, 02:37:03 pm »
Yes, I tried having the controller plugged into the adapter first (that's actually how I tried it the first time)

When I try to add a gamepad in the game controls control panel none of the built in pad drivers will work and if you make a custom pad it can only have up to 4 buttons (also I think that all of those pad drivers read from the gameport, so they aren't even looking at the USB port)

The homepage for the adapter is: www.kernel.com

Todd_H

• Offline Offline
  • Build my own cabinet?
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2002, 03:44:41 pm »
I checked the website and didn't see anything about the adapter being USB compliant.  So you may be out of luck using it on a PC.  

psycr0tic1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2002, 05:15:27 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean by USB compliant

If it's USB doesn't it HAVE to be USB compliant?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2002, 06:11:25 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean by USB compliant

If it's USB doesn't it HAVE to be USB compliant?

In a word .... NO

Mac prodcuts in particular are notorious for being non-usb complaint.  You see the conecpt behind usb is that the most basic of the drivers are either stored on the usb controller chip or hard-coded into the operating system.  Something that's non-usb complaint generally asks for a disk, not for software but for drivers.  

Mac's are notorious for this.  As a matter of fact I doubt that with the exception of mice that ANY mac product is usb compliant.  From what I understand mac's merely use the port as a high speed serial interface only, thus ignoring the intercompatability standards built into usb's architecture.  

Todd_H

• Offline Offline
  • Build my own cabinet?
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2002, 06:43:31 pm »

In a word .... NO

Mac prodcuts in particular are notorious for being non-usb complaint.  You see the conecpt behind usb is that the most basic of the drivers are either stored on the usb controller chip or hard-coded into the operating system.  Something that's non-usb complaint generally asks for a disk, not for software but for drivers.  

Mac's are notorious for this.  As a matter of fact I doubt that with the exception of mice that ANY mac product is usb compliant.  From what I understand mac's merely use the port as a high speed serial interface only, thus ignoring the intercompatability standards built into usb's architecture.  

Howard beat me to it.  When a device is USB compliant, the necessary drivers are stored in the device itself.  So unless someone writes a PC driver for the device or the company puts out a PC version, you're probably out of luck.