Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: crtemu... is this right?  (Read 4419 times)

rexel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 14, 2012, 01:40:37 am
crtemu... is this right?
« on: December 12, 2011, 05:17:20 am »
Hi..
just wanted to make sure im using this right..

ive run the 6.5 crtemu drivers for my ati...redirected the vmarker ini file to direct where mame file is.... then executed vmaker... restarted... now what?
ive run arcade osd.. but dunno how to read this...

1) does vmarket list the different resolutions it can run? what does vfreq hz stand for? alot of them around te 60hz mark...
2) hfrq = around 15hz... is this 'soft 15khz' equivalent?
3) there are some 'native' resolutions with no figures shown under hfreq... whats this mean?
4) when selecting a resolution... in this case 640x480 @ 60i... when i hit enter.. it goes to another screen for adjustments... is this meant to be done via the arcade monitor?

Thanks in advance.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
Re: crtemu... is this right?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 11:16:39 am »
Are you already testing this on your arcade monitor aren't you? All you have to do now is run GroovyMAME.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

rexel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 08:56:17 pm »
so far ive only done this on my LCD monitor because i wasnt 100% certain this was outputting 15khz for the arcade screen..

currently still have soft15khz installed and running in conjuction with the crtemu drivers... i understand i should remove the soft15khz to get full benefit of the crtemu drivers... which i can do...

which groovymame file should i install for windows? i can identify the patches which are listed and described on the download page.. but there is 3 files for groovymame..

i.e.

groovymame 0143.013.exe.7z
groovymame 0143.013a.exe.7z
groovymame 0143.013b.exe.7z

Any chance for direct answers to above questions.. will help understand this software better and not muck anything up

Thanks again
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:10:47 pm by rexel »

rexel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 04:12:46 am »
after running vmaker.. it generates a new mame.xml file.... is there anything in particular i should do with this?

I am trying to run this all via mala front end... do i point mala towards this xml file generated from vmaker?

dotclock - currenty set as 0 in vmaker.. ive seen references to various numbers.. and in the .ini file theres even a reference to 7.010.... what should be used for 'generic' arcade monitors?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 04:16:03 am by rexel »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 05:56:54 am »
Hi rexel,

Any chance for direct answers to above questions.. will help understand this software better and not muck anything up

;D

Sure!

1) does vmarket list the different resolutions it can run? what does vfreq hz stand for? alot of them around te 60hz mark...

VMMaker installs a video mode list (same as Soft-15KHz) but grabbing the info directly from mame.xml. Video modes will be generated when possible to match native frequencies (usually 15,7 KHz) considering they also need to match your defined monitor specs.

Vfreq Hz stands for vertical frequency in hertzs

Many around 60 Hz, as expected.

2) hfrq = around 15hz... is this 'soft 15khz' equivalent?

15 KHz. Yes, those frequencies are equivalent to the ones produced by soft-15khz

3) there are some 'native' resolutions with no figures shown under hfreq... whats this mean?

It means they are native resolutions created by the driver by default which we can't remove and you should not use with your arcade monitor because they'll be out of range (take care).

4) when selecting a resolution... in this case 640x480 @ 60i... when i hit enter.. it goes to another screen for adjustments... is this meant to be done via the arcade monitor?

Yes the point of that screen is to do real-time geometry adjustments directly on your arcade screen so using that on a LCD is worthless (that's why I asked it before as I suspected you were still using a LCD).

I think your fear comes from the fact that you still have picture in your LCD which means it's not outputting 15KHz. Does it go out of sync when you select 640x480@60i using button "1"?

For groovymame version use the latest 144u2.013d (http://mario.groovy.org/GroovyMame/WindowsATIDrivers/)
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 06:17:35 am »
after running vmaker.. it generates a new mame.xml file.... is there anything in particular i should do with this?

No, VMMaker just uses it to get the info it needs.

I am trying to run this all via mala front end... do i point mala towards this xml file generated from vmaker?

No

dotclock - currenty set as 0 in vmaker.. ive seen references to various numbers.. and in the .ini file theres even a reference to 7.010.... what should be used for 'generic' arcade monitors?

That depends on the card your using. It's only needed for some cards.

Steps to create a log:

rexel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 09:30:57 pm »
Hi Calamity - thanks so much for support.
im really glad u pointed out that i should not be using anything with native listed against it in arcadeosd.... i was going to do the opposite lol..

-so how do you go about linking mala to run with groovymame? off the top of my head ill link it to groovymame.exe instead of the mame.exe file.. but not sure if it will recognise the mame.ini file, or the xml file stored in mame DIR.

-with the dotclock - iam using ati x300 currently... does this need to be adjusted?

At the moment - my approach is going through the groovy mame setup using my LCD screen.. once i get mala linked with groovy mame.. i will ditch the lcd and run via jpac into the arcade monitor..

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 09:39:09 pm by rexel »

rexel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 09:36:45 pm »

I think your fear comes from the fact that you still have picture in your LCD which means it's not outputting 15KHz. Does it go out of sync when you select 640x480@60i using button "1"?

havent tried yet for fear of mucking things up... ill try the 640x480 @ 60i tonight.. and make sure its not a 'native' selection with 15khz ... im expecting it to be fuzzy looking on the lcd but ok on the arcade machine...

Would you recommend using either the 6.5 or 9.3 crtemu driver for xp32bit? iam running xp service pack 2

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 08:07:04 am »
-so how do you go about linking mala to run with groovymame? off the top of my head ill link it to groovymame.exe instead of the mame.exe file.. but not sure if it will recognise the mame.ini file, or the xml file stored in mame DIR.

No idea on how to setup MALA, sorry :(
It should be fine to rename GM's exe to whatever MALA will be happy with (i.e. mame.exe)

-with the dotclock - iam using ati x300 currently... does this need to be adjusted?

The x300 works great with low dotclocks, so leave that as 0.

At the moment - my approach is going through the groovy mame setup using my LCD screen.. once i get mala linked with groovy mame.. i will ditch the lcd and run via jpac into the arcade monitor..

So you have a J-PAC? Then there's no reason to be worried.

The problem with LCDs if that ATI drivers often ignore custom modeline settings when working with this type of monitors, and just re-cook the modeline info to something within the 31 KHz range, so setting 640x480@60i may result in a normal 31 KHz signal if you keep your LCD plugged. That's why it's better to use an old CRT PC monitor during the process.

Even if that's the case, just active the 640x480@60i and enter the menu to set it as your desktop resolution. Then reboot the machine with the arcade monitor plugged via J-PAC (15 KHz should be ready after the machine is rebooted with the right monitor).

Steps to create a log:

rexel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 05:27:21 pm »
Thanks for confirming that..

i THINK ive managed to set mala up with groovymame.. (might have to post another thread to confirm im doing this right)...

ive tested some games.. and when trying to load NBA Jam.. its continuously scrolling (like from top to bottom)... any idea with this one?
also some vertical games (eg raiden) are squashed in the centre... not sure what this indicates?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 05:31:53 pm by rexel »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 06:03:24 pm »
But that happens on the arcade monitor already?
Steps to create a log:

rexel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 10:02:42 pm »
yep ive tried this on the arcade monitor...

assuming ive linked mala with groovymame correctly...and to be honest im not sure if i have linked it correctly because it prompted for a missing mame.ini file and also xml file....

anyhows i have tried various games just to see what they're like..
the problems so far:
- the vertical games ive tried (eg raiden) is squashed centre
- any nba jam game is scrolling/ rolling from top to bottom

« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 10:05:03 pm by rexel »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 08:14:07 am »
For nbajam, you probably need to adjust your monitor's vfreq hold, remind that this game runs at 54.8 Hz

For the vertical games, I don't understand what you mean by 'squashed'. It's totally normal for a rotated vertical game to have huge vertical black band on its sides, unless you mean something different. At this point it's fundamental you start attaching logs of the problematic games to help me diagnose your system (from command line: groovymame romname -v -md 4 >romname.txt)
Steps to create a log:

rexel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 04:59:25 pm »
hi calamity.. thanks so much for your support...
it seems my graphics card may be giving me grief... for example.. id run sf2 zero no probs... exit.. test a couple other games.. return to sf2... and now the screen is pushed to the right.. if that makes sense... so ive got a black bar in the middle.. with picture on either side of it..
so i plan to do some more trouble shooting before tossing up more questions.. at least at this stage i know how to get groovymame up and running to trouble shoot..!

Thanks again.. ill post some logs later on..
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 05:03:51 pm by rexel »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 05:24:51 pm »
the screen is pushed to the right.. if that makes sense... so ive got a black bar in the middle.. with picture on either side of it..

What you're describing seems like a 31 KHz signal being filtered by your J-PAC. Please get me a log of when this happens.
Steps to create a log: