Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pinball Wheels  (Read 5343 times)

chiLLbiLLy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2015, 11:42:53 pm
Pinball Wheels
« on: December 07, 2011, 04:10:54 pm »
Anyone out there tried these?

www.pinballwheels.com

Nephasth

Re: Pinball Wheels
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 04:31:10 pm »
Piece together the hardware from your local home improvement store and have 2 sets for the price of their 1.

jrivelli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2012, 05:49:28 pm
  • When you want success as bad as you want to breath
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 11:43:26 pm »
No, but those are only going to work on low pile carpet or smooth surfaces, and I shudder at the thought of getting on my hands and knees to unlock those wheels every time I want to move the game.  It's not really that hard to drag them around the room with regular feet.   :P

Yikes! I take it you have low value pinballs and don't mind thrashing them around? :P
Current games:
- Data East Star Wars Pinball
- High Speed Pinball
- Pool Sharks Pinball
- Big Guns Pinball
- Fire! Pinball
- Simpsons 4 Player Arcade
- Mortal Kombat I

Q*Bert_OP

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2012, 07:20:42 pm
  • Oh yes, we did!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 03:21:18 am »
No, but those are only going to work on low pile carpet or smooth surfaces, and I shudder at the thought of getting on my hands and knees to unlock those wheels every time I want to move the game.  It's not really that hard to drag them around the room with regular feet.   :P

Yikes! I take it you have low value pinballs and don't mind thrashing them around? :P

It doesn't really hurt the game, as long as the bolts are tight. Besides, unless you bought the game new and took care of it, I guarantee it's seen worse.
WTB: The Grid by Midway (2001), looking for 2 or more complete games, and large marquee

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:27:36 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 11:38:27 pm »
I drag them around... but i am not looking forward to the day the legs break and fold under the cabinet.

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 02:26:16 pm »
I drag them around... but i am not looking forward to the day the legs break and fold under the cabinet.

I think it would be very difficult for that to happen.  The gauge of steel on the legs is quite thick, coupled with the L-Angle + the strengthening ridges = You would to work to just bend them with a sledge hammer.

The weak point is the actual cabinet mounts.  If the legs are not bolted tightly, missing bolts, stripped out threads..etc... is pretty much the only likely fail point.   The cabinet itself would fail before the legs... and the cabinet is no joke either.

Personally, most times I just get under the machines,  and raise to a crawl position, walking the thing on my back with one leg set sliding lightly.

Long distance is different.  Thats a slow slide job, or two person lift effort.  Or pinball lifter if its available.

Remember, pinball machines are built to be abused and rocked around like crazy.  Anyone who doesnt even bump the machine, isnt playing pinball correctly.

Nephasth

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 02:37:12 pm »
Personally, most times I just get under the machines,  and raise to a crawl position, walking the thing on my back with one leg set sliding lightly.

:pics :laugh2:

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 10:50:44 pm »
I totally do the back lift technique too!  Especially on my Addams in the garage, I will get all four feet up and have my wife keep a hand on it if I have to pull it out to do any work.  She keeps yelling at me to just buy a pin jack but I keep ignoring her sound advice. :P

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:27:36 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 02:50:04 pm »
She keeps yelling at me to just buy a pin jack but I keep ignoring her sound advice. :P

dude, any green light from the wife to buy arcade stuff has to be acted upon immediately!

Zero_Hour

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2022, 12:45:37 pm
  • Enjoying the irony of taking games seriously
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 05:35:14 pm »
I use medium or large furniture moving discs to make the sliding them around much easier, and i imagine slightly less stressful on the machines.
"Paradise, is exactly like where you are right now - only much, MUCH better." -Laurie Anderson

studmuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2012, 09:40:15 pm
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 08:54:53 pm »

Q*Bert_OP

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2012, 07:20:42 pm
  • Oh yes, we did!
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 10:07:34 pm »
I use a WICO pinball dolly and it usually works for me, but only on flat surfaces and thin carpet. The cart also makes loading games into my truck easy. The shock is unreliable and unpredictable, and should be removed if it still works.

I also have pinball skates, and they work fine on most surfaces, but come off if I hit a bump.
WTB: The Grid by Midway (2001), looking for 2 or more complete games, and large marquee

smartbomb2084

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2021, 03:14:53 pm
  • Having a SMART phone will make you DUMB.
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 08:19:11 am »
I love our WICO pinball dolly.   Anything else is mouse.

It is not just for moving games but also for lifting them off of the floor to remove legs and/or clean casters of gunk that the location's floor mop has left behind on them.

jrivelli

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 12:33:25 pm »
I got a hydraulic cart at harbor freight that has worked awesome since it has bigger wheels and can go over bumps among other things.

It has also helped when placed under my fence to get it lifted off the posts to do some work, brilliant!
Current games:
- High Speed Pinball
- Pool Sharks Pinball
- Big Guns Pinball
- Fire! Pinball
- Mortal Kombat I

yaksplat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2021, 03:50:10 pm
    • Random Projects
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 01:46:42 pm »

I thought i was the only one.  I guess we all have done this before.
Check out my current 3 machine build:
http://yaksplat.wordpress.com

Custom Control Panels: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=121245

jrivelli

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 10:36:30 am »
I got a 500lb one, just like the one Jim posted. It was on sale for $100. I heated the bars and bent them more backwards so it goes under the pin farther and provides better balance as well.

Overall, it's a really useful cart for other things in general. Mine has bigger wheels too, but it came with those.
Current games:
- High Speed Pinball
- Pool Sharks Pinball
- Big Guns Pinball
- Fire! Pinball
- Mortal Kombat I