Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Review: Paradise Arcade Shop 2 1/4'' Trackball  (Read 24339 times)

wizkid32

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2013, 07:27:03 pm
  • Portland Trailblazers, FTW!
Review: Paradise Arcade Shop 2 1/4'' Trackball
« on: December 05, 2011, 08:34:03 pm »
Ok, so I knew I wanted a trackball for my M.A.M.E. machine, but $90 + Shipping was to much for the old wallet to handle.  I debated the options.  I could try to build my own trackball, using mouse innards, and use that, but talk about challenging!  I could try to find a PC trackball, but those have an off "feel", and still cost a pretty penny!  Or I could just bite the bullet and buy one, but they were really out of my price range.  None of these options were truly satisfactory.  Enter the Paradise arcade MAME trackball.  (Link at the bottom of my post)

It was cheap, only $30 with shipping included!
It works, and has a decent "feel".  It even lights up!
Packaged well, with their signature Hershey Kisses and a Hawaiian "Thank You!".
Plug and Play via PS2 port (no Plugging and Praying! ;) ), no drivers or external interface/mouse hack required.

I originally saw this when shipping was extra, and dawdled about picking it up.  Then they made shipping free.  I purchased at once.

After doing this a few times,  :banghead: , I finally managed to get through Paypal and "send" payment.  The item shipped within the stated timeframe, but did not arrive within the estimated delivery date.  Great.  According to the tracking, it had not even been shipped.  Well I decided to give it a little more time before contacting the seller.  it payed off.  The package WAS sent in during the "will ship within" timeframe.  The post office took a long time to deliver it, waiting one extra business day.  The trouble was, a holiday weekend was found within that time.  :(  Well, it took me a few days, but I finally got a chance to test it out.

Firstly, it looks fantastic.  It lights up green, and turns red when you press a button.  There are pre-wired button leads that are sorted by length, and they include quick disconnects. 

Second, it works well.  Windows recognizes it out of the box, and it seamlessly integrates into the OS. 

Third, it was cheap.  :applaud:  Granted, the ball rests on rollers rather than axles, making it technically a computer trackball.  Still, it is perfect for M.A.M.E.!

The only thing I don't like:  I wish this trackball came in a 3" size.  Even so, this is a steal.

Price Rating:  5/5
Excellent price for what you get.

Quality Rating:  5/5
VERY minor scratching on the PCB, no problems so far!

Value Rating:  5/5
It's a good trackball for an excellent price.

Seller Rating:  5/5
They do what they are supposed to do, with a flair!

Purchase Method Rating:  3/5
Paypal and USPS ruin this score.  USPS took a longer time than advertised, and Paypal was a general nuisance.

Overall Rating:  5/5
Even with USPS and Paypal fouling up the mix, this trackball is a good value.

Best,
Wizkid32

Link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Computer-Trackball-2-1-4-MAME-ARCADE-PS2-PS-2-LED-/130550347141?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e65683585#ht_1171wt_1344
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your
(")_(") signature and help him on his quest for world domination.

Best,
Wizkid32

wizkid32

• Offline Offline
Re: Review: Paradise Arcade Shop 2 1/4'' Trackball
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 09:28:25 pm »
Addendum:  There is one issue I didn't discuss in the review, and that is mounting.  This is a bit of a problem.  It seems you can either modify a preexisting trackball mount, or use an alternative method.  See below link for more information.

Link:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=116093.msg1231210#msg1231210
(\__/)

Best,
Wizkid32

wizkid32

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 05:45:32 pm »
But how much is shipping?  And don't forget that Paradise Arcade Shop is a reputable vendor.  Also, they just lowered the price to $28 on Ebay.
(\__/)

Best,
Wizkid32

wizkid32

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 10:11:39 pm »
Oh.
 :banghead:
How did I miss that??!!!
 :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
 :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
(\__/)

Best,
Wizkid32

wizkid32

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 12:03:27 am »
My experience with arcade trackballs has been limited, but this seems to be of similar caliber.  Perhaps slightly less hefty, but that might just be me.  They do "feel" right, though.   And as for Paypal, darn them!!!!! :soapbox:
(\__/)

Best,
Wizkid32

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 02:52:26 pm »
I have tried one and I have Happ and Wico trackballs as well.  They do not feel like arcade machine type balls since they run on plastic rollers not steel rods and bearings.   They are what I would call a PC type trackball for home use not arcade abuse. They have alot of bells and whistles (leds) for the price.  Should be fine for the average home user but not for those used to the feel of arcade balls.  :D

Edit:  Correction they run on a metal rod and there are no bearings only plastic holders for the metal rod ends.

Thought that some pictures would help.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:24:25 pm by BobA »

wizkid32

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 06:11:16 pm »
Really?  I have gone too long with no Centipede!  :(  I still think it is pretty good, though, for the price.   :applaud:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 02:59:08 pm by wizkid32 »
(\__/)

Best,
Wizkid32

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 10:14:25 am »
They are a great value.  :D 

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 09:01:56 am »
I did a little review myself in your post in Everything Else, before I saw your review here.
Here is what I posted over there, just to keep it all in order, however looks like you covered it pretty good in your review:

Bumped to let you know I bought one of these trackballs. I have an idea how to mount it using a couple of aluminum strips.
This is a pretty neat ball for the price (I got mine at: Sparkfun)
I think it is the same, it looks the same in the pics.
Anyway, hooked this to my desktop PC to test and I like the way it works.
I played World Class Bowling and it handled pretty good. (Also Capcom Bowling and a few spinner games).
I know its not as good as a happ, but for a cheap build it will work, and for a compact build, the size is pretty compact.
Some gripes:
The lit ball is neat, but it may be a little too bright. (There are two pairs of leds inside, one might could cut the lead to one of the pair to decrease brightness, I havent tried it though.)
It has two colors, green if neither mouse click button is pressed, or red if either button is pressed. (These would be the mouse buttons you can connect to the wiring harness that comes with the trackball.)
It would be nice if you could turn on the colors without having to hook up buttons (IE have the printer port or Led Wiz control the colors), (probably can hack it, looks like it might be simple to do).
The one thing I dont like is that the ball stays lit when the computer is powered off (Not sure if this would be with all computers, evidently mine keeps 5 volts on the PS2 port powered up.)
But this could make a good night light I suppose.
The ball is easy to take apart, and its construction is simple enough.
Mounting it will be different, but like I said, I do have an idea, will post again when I get a chance to try my method.

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 11:50:42 am »
The lit ball is neat, but it may be a little too bright. (There are two pairs of leds inside, one might could cut the lead to one of the pair to decrease brightness, I havent tried it though.)

Wrap one in electrical tape. A little less permanent to try it out. Another option would be to put a sheet of paper over them or something even more opaque to cut down on the brightness without blocking completely.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 04:29:42 pm »
Good idea!

wizkid32

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 12:34:09 am »
Plain white paper is not fully opaque.  It would still let a little light through.  As for the brightness, it should be perfect for my theme.
(\__/)

Best,
Wizkid32

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 04:28:09 pm »
About the leds always on problem:  I connected the tb to a ps2 usb adapter and the leds go off when the computer is off.  The bad is that a simple adapter does not allow the TB to function.   You probably need and active adapter that costs a few bucks more. 

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 07:23:18 pm »
I plugged the TB directly into the PS2 mouse port of the motherboard. Im thinking it is a motherboard specific thing.

I have done a little research on the way this trackball lights up (for hacking purposes.)

The two pairs of LEDs (one red pair and one green pair) are controlled by a HEF4049BP hex inverter.
Looks like the inverters are wired to either turn on or off the pairs of leds, based on a high being at the input of the first two inverters. 3 diodes isolate the 3 button inputs. If either button is pressed, green leds are turned off and red leds are turned on. (Pin 10 on the chip is not connected to anything).
I have attached a diagram that i drew showing the specs for the HEF4049BP hex inverter and below that, the way this trackball is using the chip to light the LEDs (best I can tell anyway).
The diodes block the button clicks from each other, however supply a high to the inverters whenever either button is pressed.
The resistors (Rx(0) thru Rx(2) are evidently current limiters, and Rx(3) thru Rx(5) are pull down resistors.
Now I have two questions which hopefully you can help me with Bob.
(1) what is pulling the voltage down on the input side of the inverters? (Wouldnt the voltage float?)
(2) why arent there current limiting resistors on the leds? (none that I can find).

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 07:30:53 pm »
The last print was a little small, here is the TB led circuit again. Maybe a little easier to read now.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 07:40:43 pm »
And here is the circuit after my proposed hack to the printer port.
pin 2 will light the ball red when turned on.
Pin 3 will light the ball green.
Both on maybe purple??? I doubt it, but I shall see.

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 08:56:00 pm »
I would think that the buttons pull the inputs to ground to give the leds the proper signal. It goes thru 2 gates to get a green signal and 3 gates which will be the invert to give a red signal.  Add the extra gate will make both signals for green and red the same so the LPT port should be able to control them in the same way.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 11:08:44 pm by BobA »

wizkid32

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 10:23:14 pm »
I plugged the TB directly into the PS2 mouse port of the motherboard. Im thinking it is a motherboard specific thing.

Maybe.  Is there another PS2 port you could try?
(\__/)

Best,
Wizkid32

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 06:22:04 am »
Yeah, maybe. I got a computer in the junk pile I might can dust off and see if it still works.
About the hack:
Ive been thinking and since the ball does not have ball bearings and will probably not last very long if it is subjected to intense gaming, Im not sure now if I want to do the hack.
I plan on putting this in a cabinet that I will most likely give away as a gift, so I wouldnt want to have to go to the other house and hack a new trackball when its time to change it out, so just another reason not to invest a lot of time on it.
It would be a lot simpler to just swap it with a new one when this one does fail, which I think the average person could do, as long as it is a clean swap.
But if anyone wants to try to hack it I will be glad to help if I can.
I think I will play around with the usb adapter like Bob mentioned earlier.
BTW Bob, you didnt answer one of my questions, why dont the leds have a current limiting resistor? I dont think Ive ever seen one that didnt require it.

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 02:54:37 pm »
It looks like they do have current limiting resistors in your drawing RX 0 1 and 2 look like limiting resistors.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 09:26:48 pm »
Actually those resistors are in line with the diodes. I should have drawn the leds with circles around them. The leds are on the right side of the inverters, 3 diodes on the left side. Best I can tell, pressing the mouse buttons puts a high on the diodes, which puts a high on the inverter inputs (buttons are not in this drawing, but connect to the arrows running off left of drawing).
Looks like the final inverter outputs connect directly to the leds.
I cant find any resistors at all in line with the leds.

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 10:29:00 am »
Sorry got mixed up between the blocking diodes with resistors and LEDs.   The gates must have some internal characteristics that control the current.  One of the uses is apparently sinking high current loads which in their example they cite being able to sink 2 TTL loads.  A regular TTL gate can sink 10 standard loads or 16 ma so some sort of internal circuitry must be doing current limiting to sink the LEDs.

Just a  thought that it maybe why they use 2 leds for each color.  It could be part of the current limiting of the gate since they are bright and they probably could have got away with just 1 of each color. Maybe they need 2 so that one LED will not overcurrent and burn.  Using 2 splits the current evenly if they are using the current limiting of the gate.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 10:45:13 am by BobA »

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 10:41:02 am »
Thanks Bob, I did some research on that chip it is indeed current limiting as you said, so that explains a lot.
So if one of the leds burns out, the other will most likely follow. Seems to me that a much better solution would be to use current limiting resistors on each diode, but that might cost them a few cents more.

dawen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2017, 04:37:28 am
  • Gaming is living
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 04:14:00 am »
And here is the circuit after my proposed hack to the printer port.
pin 2 will light the ball red when turned on.
Pin 3 will light the ball green.
Both on maybe purple??? I doubt it, but I shall see.

I know this is an old thread but is there an easier way of explaining this for us idiots that dont understand the drawings?
 What i would like to know is if there is an easy way without soldering to change so the red leds light up as standard instead of the green.
//Dawen

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 06:06:01 pm »
You can swap the 2 pairs of leds around to get the different colors, but it will require some soldering.
I would be glad to do that for you, if you want to mail just the board to me. PM me if you want to do that.
You can also cut out the 4 leds and use another led to light it from the hole in the center, underneath the ball.
This is what I have decided to do with my trackball.
I cut the 4 leds out, and am lighting it from underneath with a tri color LED assembly made to go on buttons. The led assembly is available from groovy game gear.
I dont have any pics yet, but am planning on using it on my "A Little Rage" build over in Project Announcements.

dawen

• Offline Offline
  • Gaming is living
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 04:18:11 pm »
Hmmm I guess I will try to cut them out then since I live in sweden and I guess you don't.
If I cut them out doesn't that effect the function of the trackball?
//Dawen

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 08:22:07 pm »
I live across the pond in the US of A, so sending the board to me may not be feasible.
Cutting the leds should not effect the operation of the trackball at all.
Just cut the led leads close to the board. You can bend them back and forth until the wires break.
The main reason I decided not to use those leds was because they stayed lit up when the computer was powered down. Probably not a problem with all PCs but it was with the one I was going to use it on.
That clear ball acts like a magnifying glass, so one led on the bottom, or an incandescent bulb, might be enough to light it up. Let us know what you come up with.

dawen

• Offline Offline
  • Gaming is living
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 10:52:33 am »
Great I will probably solve my issue like that then. The reason I wanted to change the color was for it to match the color theme on my cab which is blue, black and red. I think I have a led with holder laying around from one of the extra buttons I bought which means I will also be able to connect my trackball to my pac-drive :D
I will let you know the result of it. Thanks for the help.
//Dawen

flangeripper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 03, 2013, 07:41:30 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2013, 10:25:56 am »
Received my trackball this morning, and I'm very pleased so far, feels better than I thought. I will need to buy a ps2 extension cable though.

With regard to the green always on led, if you connect the yellow cable to one of the black ground wires, the leds change to red. Alternatively attach a button to the yellow and black wires to be able switch between red and green.

The same can to said about the red wire and white wire, when connected to a button with a black ground wire, they will act as left and right mouse clicks.

Good review btw.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 10:30:32 am by flangeripper »

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2013, 02:07:41 pm »
Just a bump to show a pic of how I mounted this trackball:

wizkid32

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 09:07:38 pm »
Wow!  I never even thought about bolting through the case.

Good idea.   :applaud:
(\__/)

Best,
Wizkid32

processedmeat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 06:49:22 pm
  • Ikeakade Here I come!
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2013, 12:04:50 pm »
DaOldMan, what did you attach the bolts that go through the trackball to on the other side (the top side)?  Did you have to countersink the bolts into the top of the trackball?  Thanks for a reply to this old post.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2013, 07:57:15 pm »
Hello processedmeat!
Yes, I counter sunk the holes and used carriage bolts, I then filled in above the bolt heads with bondo.
First pic below is a down and dirty drawing of how I did it.
Second pic is TB mounted before CP or underside of plexi is painted.
Third pic is the finished job.

EDIT: Just noticed that was your first post. Welcome to the forum!!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 08:00:57 pm by DaOld Man »

blashyrk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 14, 2017, 02:56:16 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!

wizkid32

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2013, 11:00:58 pm »
Or you can buy this mounting plate
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2-1-4-Arcade-Trackball-Mounting-Plate-for-LED-PS2-trackballs-Mame-/121103953119?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c325bacdf

That is new...  However, the price seems a bit high compared to the ball itself...

Hello processedmeat!
Yes, I counter sunk the holes and used carriage bolts, I then filled in above the bolt heads with bondo.

Thanks!  This will be an awesome guide for anyone trying to mount this ball!
(\__/)

Best,
Wizkid32

processedmeat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 06:49:22 pm
  • Ikeakade Here I come!
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2013, 02:05:48 pm »
Hello processedmeat!

Thanks for your well wishes.  My cab is in the home stretch.  Finally!  The wife calls the cab the 2nd wife.  Will be posting soon...