Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Monitor settings for MakVision 3M25 tri-sync monitor  (Read 6138 times)

botez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2023, 11:53:06 pm
Monitor settings for MakVision 3M25 tri-sync monitor
« on: November 29, 2011, 04:11:28 pm »
I'm getting ready to run Vmmaker for the first time on my monitor and was wondering if anyone had already set this up using a MakVision 3M25 tri-sync monitor. 

The specs are here:

http://niemandisplays.com/nvd%203m%20spec%20electrical%20spec%20sheet.pdf

Basically, it's a 15/24/31 kHz Hfreq and 47-40 Hz Vfreq with a max resolution of 640x480.

Also wondering -- if I just use the setting for the D9200, should I be okay?  Will the fact that it has out of range specs (the 37kHz-38kHz range) in the monitor settings cause me any issues?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: Monitor settings for MakVision 3M25 tri-sync monitor
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 04:27:02 pm »
Hi botez,

Using the D9200 settings can potentially harm your monitor as the 38 KHz is clearly out of range for your monitor. You'd better try the settings for NANAO MS-2930/MS-2931 which is also tri-sync:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=116023.0

Having a timing chart for that monitor (a table with detailed timings required for each range provided by the manufacturer) would be the best approach however.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

botez

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2023, 11:53:06 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 04:39:03 pm »
EDIT: Okay -- looking at this page (http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Nanao_MS-2931) it appears that my monitor's specs are pretty much identical with the Nanao MS-2931 (the replacement chassis for the 2931 is the Wei-Ya 3129b, which I'm pretty sure is the chassis that my monitor has).  I'm feeling pretty confident in trying with the Nanao MS-2931 specs and seeing what the results are.

It's at this point I'll add how awesome GroovyMame is -- I've spent the last two days pouring through this part of the forum and am excited to finally get this up and running (still waiting to get my ATI card so I can set it all up).

-----------------------------------

Thanks for the advice (and the super quick response).  I'll keep trying to find a timing chart, but I've been looking everywhere online without any luck (I can only find that PDF and a schematic).

One more quick question -- I also just realized that my monitor doesn't automatically switch to 31kHz -- you actually have to flip a jumper to get it in that mode.  With that in mind, will I still be safe using the tri-sync settings you mention for the NANAO MS-2930/MS-2931 or should I just use the settings for something like the NANAO MS9-29?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 04:55:09 pm by botez »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 05:00:35 pm »
Good question... the monitor should be protected for that possibility but who knows.
What you can do is to make the resolutions for tri-sync using VMMaker, so you have them ready in case you want to use the switch. Then in mame.ini use the # to comment the VGA range (monitor_specs2) and just uncomment it whenever you want to. The only problem is that the 640x480 resolution for the desktop will be calculated as 31 KHz so make sure to pick a 15 KHz as your desktop resolution. Or simply just use the NANAO MS9-29 if you don't care about higher resolution games.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 05:03:52 pm by Calamity »
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi