Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Coin Door questions: Which mech & best paint stripping method?  (Read 2902 times)

chiLLbiLLy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2015, 11:42:53 pm
Coin Door questions: Which mech & best paint stripping method?
« on: November 27, 2011, 03:44:20 pm »
As you can see from the pic, I've got a really ugly painted Williams coin door from a 1963 Beat the Clock pin.

First, does anyone know which type of coin mechs fit this door?

And second, what's the easiest/best way to strip this orange plague from the door?

After I strip the paint, then I can do the whole CLR & Brasso treatment on it, as mentioned by Ken in another thread, as I imagine the paint is probably covering up a fair amount of ancient rust.

chiLLbiLLy

• Offline Offline
Re: Coin Door questions: Which mech & best paint stripping method?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 04:04:56 pm »

No idea on the proper coin mechs for this door, eh?   ???

Jeff AMN

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2017, 05:26:24 pm
    • Gamer Theory
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 05:08:53 pm »
For stripping paint on coin doors I've had excellent results using Citristrip and a wire wheel with a drill. The Citristrip alone will take care of most of it on its own, however.
http://www.CoinOpShippers.com - The lowest rates on pinball and arcade shipping in the USA.
http://GamerTheory.com - Video Game News, Reviews, Editorials, and Contests
http://www.thepinballpodcast.com/ - The Pinball Podcast - Two Pinheads Talking Pinball

chiLLbiLLy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 06:30:21 pm »
Don't really need the coin mechs necessarily, but would just like to have them on hand and potentially functional, if I so choose.  But hey, if I can't ever figure out which ones go with this coin door or can't find/afford them, then your coin reject suggestion sounds like a winner.  I'm just another oldschool arcade nutjob who prefers using coins for everything vs. freeplay.   8)

Thanks for the Citristrip suggestion, too.  I'll be sure and put on a hazmat suit when dealing with the toxic sludge.  Wouldn't shock me to find out that small amounts of asbestos were used in there somewhere either...

jrivelli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2012, 05:49:28 pm
  • When you want success as bad as you want to breath
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 12:46:29 pm »
Paint over it with rustoleum spray paint. I just did that with my fire! and did a flat black on it. Came out smooth and won't ever come off.

As long as the paint underneath it is smooth you are all set. I would just sand the paint if it's not. I've never had problems with this method.
Current games:
- Data East Star Wars Pinball
- High Speed Pinball
- Pool Sharks Pinball
- Big Guns Pinball
- Fire! Pinball
- Simpsons 4 Player Arcade
- Mortal Kombat I

jrivelli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2012, 05:49:28 pm
  • When you want success as bad as you want to breath
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 10:30:54 am »
Really? I'm not too familiar with polished steel...how come it always flakes off like it was paint? Oh wells.

On my other coin doors I use a rustoleum semi-gloss and it makes it look like new every time. I'm a fan at least. I went flat black on that one since it went well with the fire! theme.

Let me feel cool and paint my coin doors to look all new and shiny :P
Current games:
- Data East Star Wars Pinball
- High Speed Pinball
- Pool Sharks Pinball
- Big Guns Pinball
- Fire! Pinball
- Simpsons 4 Player Arcade
- Mortal Kombat I