Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help Needed! (For Image collectors)  (Read 3133 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Help Needed! (For Image collectors)
« on: June 17, 2002, 03:37:53 pm »
My new front-end will support logos for directories and I need some help finding them.  I'm looking for manufacturer logos emulator logos and even generic logo's(fighters, puzzle games, ect) in as large a size as possible.  I have a fairly big collection of them now, but the problem is they are much to small to be blown up.  Gif format would also be nice as the new front-end also supports transparencies.  

If anyone can send me some images or point me to a good url I would appreciate it.  Once I release my new fe there will be a section where you can download all of the images I've collected.  

thanks in advance,
HAC

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Brad

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Help Needed! (For Image collectors)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2002, 08:50:56 am »
Howard,

Something else that would be nice for you to compile -- It's no secret that MAME screenshots are readily available, but it seems that screenshots for other emulators are never available.

It would be nice to have packages of official screenshots for other emus, named after Cowering's GoodXXXX scheme, so frontends which match a romname with a screenshot would automatically recognize them.

Most emus at least offer ability to take screenshots, some sites even collect snaps from SNES and the like, so it would be nice to come up with correctly named collections.

Even if we each took a letter or something and did them by hand, it's something I bet a lot of people would love.

Brad

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2002, 10:25:32 am »
The screenshots are already usually named by the rom.  So its very easy to find them in a frontend.  There are a few image libraries that you can download.

I kinda like the idea in a frontend to add a play everything once.  Where you dont' download the screenshots, but instead, the frontend will automatically start running all games you don't have a screenshot for yet... and you take one.  But it's usually nice to have it cleaned up and dropped in size.

Howard... for images... searching the net will probably be your best bet.  

Are you looking for more icons or images?  I'm personally looking for icons for a ton of things...  But I think i just might make my own.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2002, 03:55:25 pm »
I need screenshots mostly..... I can use icons but they would look wierd in my fe the way it's setup.  I was thinking I could set it up to where when you move the mouse over a game the cursor is changed to it's icon, but I don't know if that would be confusing or not.  

As for the snaps, I've been collecting/making them whenever I get a chance, but if i did that all the time I would never have any time to code.  I think I've gotten snaps for zinc, raine, daphne and many for VisualPinball.  I take the snaps via the emulator and then batch convert them all to png files using ifan view. (My fe still only supports png files for consistancy's sake.)  I use the naming method that lilwolf mentioned as it's easier to keep track of things.  

Lilwolf, I like your idea about automatically taking snaps but the problem is figuring out how long it takes each game to load.  In some games you would get a nice snap of the startup test and in others you might not get anything.  I've played with the concept but found it too unpredictable to calculate when the best moment is to take a snapshot.

I've been looking on the net, but it's slim pickings.  The commerical sites like to put junk on top of their logo's and fans sites like to modify the logo's.  I have a farily good collection but if you blow them up to any size greater than about 150*150 they are very pixelated.    The only good logo I could get was nintendo. (go figure)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2002, 03:57:02 pm »
I need screenshots mostly.....

err, i mean i need pictures mostly (jpg,gif,ect)