Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Will my monitor have a horizontal adjust?  (Read 2717 times)

LeedsFan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2021, 06:14:23 am
Will my monitor have a horizontal adjust?
« on: November 26, 2011, 09:14:40 am »
I just bought 3x 10" crt monitors from eBay for some mini projects. They look quite good at 640 x 480 resolution, especially when I turn the monitor round for vertical games. There are adjustment knobs on the front for contrast, brightness, vertical and horizontal position and vertical adjust (as in stretch or shrink). But there is no horizontal adjust that works the same way. Which is a shame as the monitor is about 10mm short of filling the viewable area on each side. That extra area can be "shifted" into by adjusting the position but I want to stretch the horizontal out to fill up the screen.

I've had the cover off and there are a few more pots to adjust near the neck of the tube but there is still no horizontal adjust. These pots were brightness, contrast and separate red, green, blue etc.  There are more pots I can adjust on the main pcb but I don't as yet have an insulated screw driver I can get in there with. (I'm not poking an 8" long pice of bare metal down there).

In your experience of various monitors should there be one of these pots in there somewhere? The monitor is a ViewMagic CD-1035E model one of which is pictured here on eBay USA:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-ViewMagic-10-CD-1035E-Color-SVGA-Monitor-NIB-/390316789027#ht_2859wt_1163

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
Re: Will my monitor have a horizontal adjust?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 08:38:48 pm »
Horizontal width adjustment is usually done via a coil not a pot:
http://www.arcaderepairtips.com/2010/04/21/adjusting-the-horizontal-width-coil/

LeedsFan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2021, 06:14:23 am
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 10:13:37 am »
Horizontal width adjustment is usually done via a coil not a pot:
http://www.arcaderepairtips.com/2010/04/21/adjusting-the-horizontal-width-coil/

Thanks for that. I watched the video and it was quite interesting. However I could not find any coil like that on my PCB. There were more pots to twiddle though and one of those was the width adjustment. But it would only go so far before the side edges of the picture became all distorted. So I had to back off a little and leave it at that. Maybe with some 3rd party software I could alter the width?

The monitor is to run Robotron in a mini bartop so basically the game must look on there. I'm not bothered about anything else. If Windows desktop is chopped off a little at the sides then so be it.

fredster

• Grand Prophet of Arcadeology
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2019, 04:28:53 pm
  • It's all good!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 10:20:38 am »
Older monitors have that Horizontal width coil.  The width gets smaller as you turn that magnet in.  The big adjustment is usually made with a capacitor change.  

Keep in mind that you can adjust the width with the monitor running, you just have to use a special plastic tool.  It's a hex head plastic TV adjusting tool you can get at Radio Shack or some other electronics supplier.  You can use a metal piece IF you cycle the monitor on and off.  If you leave that metal wrench in there the electromagnetic field will get it hot in a second or two and it will burn the hell out of your hand.

If a monitor is off, you can pretty much touch any part of the electronics.  It won't bite.  The only thing that will byte is the suction cup, and on new monitors that won't either.

When you adjust that coil, keep in mind it's probably pretty old.  I suggest you always use the plastic tool because that little magnetic disc sometimes gets stuck in it.  A metal tool will shatter it. Test moving it up and down to make sure it's free.  If it isn't, consider changing the cap, and you'd have to know what monitor chassis you have to do that.  It's not really that big a deal.  If it's just that cap you can just clip it off and solder a new one on the legs.  

The rare one is in the K7000 (C39).  All the others are not so rare.  But find out what the monitor is and I can look up which one you need.
King of the Flying Monkeys from the Dark Side

fredster

• Grand Prophet of Arcadeology
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2019, 04:28:53 pm
  • It's all good!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 10:22:03 am »
You need to find the monitor manual online for your monitor.  Somewhere on that are part numbers, google them and eventually you will identify it.

Post a pic of the chassis, and maybe one of us can help you.
King of the Flying Monkeys from the Dark Side