Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: DMD decides to crap out 2 hours before family arrives for holiday - grrrrr  (Read 3196 times)

arzoo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 11:15:11 am
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
I spend weeks getting my Demolition Man working perfectly for when our family stays over for the holiday and two hours before they all arrive the display starts to flake out.

Basically there are bunches of extra pixels randomly lighting up - usually in vertical lines spaced evenly across the panel. Most all the graphics are messed up but a few are fine. When I run a display test - same thing happens, random pixels and vertical lines. Plus, the test indicates some sort of page error (but it's hard to tell because the text is all messed up).

I have no idea if the display is going bad or the DMD controller board or RAM or something else. Any suggestions on how to diagnose this?

Thanks
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Re: DMD decides to crap out 2 hours before family arrives for holiday - grrrrr
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 12:06:44 pm »
If you have a page error, then the large ram chip on the DMD control/power supply board is bad.

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 11:15:11 am
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 10:01:46 am »
I took a long shot and reseated the data cables to and from the DMD controller and to my surprise, the problem was resolved  ;D. This of course makes no sense - it definitely seemed like a logic error, so I just don't see how a bad connection on a ribbon cable could be the cause. But I guess the turkey gods were shining down.
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 01:58:02 am »
In fact, I've said for years that 90% of your pinball problems are a connector, 10% are the power supply, and 5% are something weird.

Jim, if you've got 105% of problems, you've got too many damn problems! :cheers: