Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: zippy stick doesn't work!?  (Read 4015 times)

minnow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 21, 2011, 10:39:57 am
zippy stick doesn't work!?
« on: November 15, 2011, 04:03:28 pm »
I started a project a month or so ago.  I wanted an arcade stick for mame/PC gaming.  So I ordered some buttons an IPac and a zippy stick (I believe they are very similiar to the sanwa stick).  Long story short, I build the case, wired everything up and the stick simply didn't work.  The buttons worked, so I know the stick is wired properly.

I took the stick apart and it seems that the green bushing at the bottom of the stick only touches the switches and doesn't actually press them in.  Am I missing something?

I got the stick from groovy game gear and tried emailing them, but got no response back.  Has anyone else had this issue with the zippy?

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:34:00 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: zippy stick doesn't work!?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 04:26:31 pm »
I started a project a month or so ago.  I wanted an arcade stick for mame/PC gaming.  So I ordered some buttons an IPac and a zippy stick (I believe they are very similiar to the sanwa stick).  Long story short, I build the case, wired everything up and the stick simply didn't work.  The buttons worked, so I know the stick is wired properly.

I took the stick apart and it seems that the green bushing at the bottom of the stick only touches the switches and doesn't actually press them in.  Am I missing something?

I got the stick from groovy game gear and tried emailing them, but got no response back.  Has anyone else had this issue with the zippy?

You sent the email two hours ago.  I had to get the days orders out    I'm sending a reply to you now.  Don't worry, we'll get it figured out.

*update edit*

Looks like we sent minnow the wrong switches.  Replacements are in the mail.

RandyT
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 07:35:06 pm by RandyT »

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 04:28:20 pm »
I started a project a month or so ago.  I wanted an arcade stick for mame/PC gaming.  So I ordered some buttons an IPac and a zippy stick (I believe they are very similiar to the sanwa stick).  Long story short, I build the case, wired everything up and the stick simply didn't work.  The buttons worked, so I know the stick is wired properly.

I took the stick apart and it seems that the green bushing at the bottom of the stick only touches the switches and doesn't actually press them in.  Am I missing something?

I got the stick from groovy game gear and tried emailing them, but got no response back.  Has anyone else had this issue with the zippy?

You sent the email two hours ago.  I had to get the days orders out  :)  I'm sending a reply to you now.  Don't worry, we'll get it figured out.

RandyT

Awesome customer service Randy.  :applaud:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

minnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 07:49:02 pm »
Randy emailed and informed me that the wrong switches were in my joystick.  He told me he's sending the correct switches in the mail tomorrow.  Which is awesome.  Thank you again.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 10:43:50 pm »
Glad to hear its resolved. I would say in the future, you may not wanna post that a vendor did not get back to you when its only been 2 hours since you emailed him.

minnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 08:38:57 am »
Actually I tried emailing him for about a week through his website, but it wouldn't work.  For whatever reason my browser wouldn't allow the website to display properly on his contact page.  The recent email Randy was mentioning only happened because someone else on this forum posted an email address. 

Yes, I could have waited longer than two hours after trying a different way of contacting him.  However, after reading some more on the forum and seeing that Randy was on this forum regularly I thought it might be a way of getting his attention quick.

It worked and Randy got back to me with the fix for the problem.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 09:27:49 am »
A private message would have been a better choice to start with.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 09:34:30 am »
A private message would have been a better choice to start with.

He only has three posts. I don't recall if this forum restricts PMs for people with low post counts or is that just BST?

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 12:46:19 pm »
Always the buyer's fault that he dared to contact the seller through the 'wrong' mechanism.  I mean, really, who expects a seller to keep up with the account that takes in the money?  (this has been a rather steady complaint about your business, Randy, I'd rectify that)

Frankly, almost all arcade parts vendors are eager to take your money and then sit on it.  Just recently got a private message from one of them that basically told me it was my fault when I posted I was annoyed it took them over a week to put a joystick in the mail.  You see, he doesn't like waddling to the post office until he's got 3 grand in orders to ship out.     ::)

I don't know what you are on about, Jim, but I resent the implications you constantly make here about us.  The contact mechanism on the GGG site seems to be working for everyone else, so it was either a temporary glitch with the Captcha service, or it was being blocked by a piece of software on the customer's system.  Or, he was simply impatient, but it's understandable given the circumstance.  If he was unable to make contact with us, then posting here is fine with me.  Keep in mind, however, that this individual made first contact with me two hours before I responded to his issue.  If that's not good enough for you, then you have some pretty unreasonable expectations from, well, anyone.  Sometimes, considering the near constant vitriol you write here about GGG and other long-time vendors, I think you won't be happy until you drive every dedicated individual who breaks their back to support this hobby from continuing to do so.

And I don't know which vendor you are referring to, but it wasn't us.  We do the best we can, in every case, with the resources we have available.  And, just like in this instance, we take care of our customers to the best of our abilities. Period.

RandyT

Nephasth

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 12:53:45 pm »
And I don't know which vendor you are referring to, but it wasn't us.

He was talking about your arch enemy...

But I agree with PBJ, there have been enough threads about customers not being able to contact you through email to justify looking for a potential problem on your end.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 01:03:36 pm »
But I agree with PBJ, there have been enough threads about customers not being able to contact you through email to justify looking for a potential problem on your end.

Trust me, I look.  It's much easier to test the website on regular occasions than to field misunderstandings in public forums.  But we can't sit at the PC of every customer we have (and we have a lot) to do that testing through their system, browser, ISP, etc.  It's a reality of doing business on the internet.  And for every email that doesn't get answered, there are 100+ which do.  You rarely hear about the happy customers, because they are happy :)

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 02:39:55 pm »
As soon as you realize that Randy's never wrong, you'll get along with him just fine.   ;D

Ironic you should post something like this in the very thread where I admitted publicly that I sent the wrong switches to a customer (as rare an occurrence as that might be.)

But Jim will be Jim :)

Nephasth

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 03:33:17 pm »
Where did that awesome PBJ post go?

I was just about to bust out the popcorn... :'(

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 03:37:41 pm »
Where did that awesome PBJ post go?

I was just about to bust out the popcorn... :'(

Yeah, that was quick.
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

minnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 10:00:56 am »
Seriously guys, must this turn into a flame war? 

bkenobi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2021, 10:41:52 pm
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 02:25:10 pm »
You are obviously new to posting and new to reading the threads here.  Flame wars are all the rage!  If there isn't at least one 10+ page flame war a month, I think Saint will probably just close the forum down due to lack of interest.   :laugh2:

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 04:04:17 pm »
Flame war? PBJ censored himself- this is more of a defining point in human history.  :laugh2:
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 04:15:14 pm »
I'd be willing to bet this thread = more sales for GGG. So I don't know what anyone here is whining about.
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

equlizer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2019, 02:56:48 am
  • All your base are belong to us
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 03:46:26 am »
I have ordered from GGG about 5 times so far and service couldn't be any better :notworthy:  I live in canada and usually have my stuff within the first week :applaud:

minnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 09:31:51 am »
Given the argument that ensued after I initially posted, I'm somewhat reluctant to post again.  However, I thought it should be known that I did get the correct switches yesterday.  All arguments aside, Randy made it right. 

Now I have a solid and functional arcade stick.  I'm going to be up all night playing galaga and raptor.

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2011, 06:39:10 pm »
Great news, I've been wanting to try one of those sticks.
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

minnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 10:39:57 am »
I specifically wanted that stick because it comes with a little green restrictor plate.  2 way 4 way and 8 way is really cool to have when you like playing older games that all seem to use different sticks.