Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: TV Out Issues  (Read 5082 times)

Tatas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2012, 12:54:25 am
TV Out Issues
« on: November 14, 2011, 11:30:53 pm »
I've built a new PC with Windows XP x64 and an ATI HD4870, I've got Hyperspin going using GroovyMame64 and Calamity's ATI 64bit drivers.  However I initially set the machine up using a spare LCD I had laying around.  Now when I place the machine in my cabinet and hook it up to the TV I have mounted inside (using the Component Out adapter of the video card) I get no output on the TV.  Am I missing something simple?  Do I need to run VMMaker first while I have both the LCD and TV hooked up? 

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Tatas

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
Re: TV Out Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 12:56:24 pm »
Hi Tatas,

GroovyMAME assumes you're using a RGB output, is it *composite* what you mean? If that's the case then the output will be filtered and the video modes set by GroovyMAME won't have effect.

Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Tatas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 01:10:21 pm »
Thank You for the reply.  No I actually mean Component (YPbPr).  I have the following adapter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATI-X700-X800-7-Pin-S-Video-RGB-Component-Video-Adapter-Cable-6110017600G-/230694955825?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b67dab31#ht_694wt_1163

Should I grab the Catalyst Control center application as a separate download from your driver to help with the connection to the TV?  It's not just groovymame that's not working.  I can't get your special EMU driver to output anything to the TV. 

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 01:31:50 pm »
Thank You for the reply.  No I actually mean Component (YPbPr).  I have the following adapter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATI-X700-X800-7-Pin-S-Video-RGB-Component-Video-Adapter-Cable-6110017600G-/230694955825?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b67dab31#ht_694wt_1163

Ah I see, however that still gets the signal from the S-video output, which is re-processed if I'm right. Anyway you'll be able to benefit from GroovyMAME sync options at least.

Should I grab the Catalyst Control center application as a separate download from your driver to help with the connection to the TV?  It's not just groovymame that's not working.  I can't get your special EMU driver to output anything to the TV. 

Yes. You'll find links to the right CCC version here:

http://postback.geedorah.com/foros/viewtopic.php?id=1424
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Tatas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 01:40:56 pm »
Thank You for the link.  I'm going to try the 9.3 version of the CCC to see if that helps.  Not sure about the TV-out connector.  It's a 7-pin connector, and S-Video is 5 if I remember correctly.  I'll update the status after some testing.

Tatas

Tatas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 02:27:13 pm »
Thank You!  We have progress!  The Catalyst Control Center definitely helped.  I had to force detection of Component TV.  Once I did that the TV showed up in the interface and I could choose to mirror the main display.  All is not well however, as the image displayed on the TV is only showing the Blue color.  Red and Green colors aren't shown.  Any ideas?  I'm going to keep looking in the settings.

Tatas

Tatas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 03:54:58 pm »
Even more progress!  Go figure that the "Advanced settings" were holding me back.  I switched over to the Basic setup and was able to choose DTV (component input) as my TV type.  Now the colors look much better, but it seems I am still missing the RED color.  Also for some reason, when choosing a resolution higher than 640x480 the screen starts flipping.  Did not have this issue when Standard TV was the TV type.  More testing needed.

Tatas

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 05:28:58 pm »
Does the component output work fine during boot time? You may have seen this thread:

http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/115/p/84452/422502.aspx
Steps to create a log:

Tatas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 05:53:49 pm »
No, the TV (which i think is SD) is completely blank/black until windows loads.  Then a resolution of 640x480i gets displayed (quite blurry), albeit missing the RED color.  I'll try hooking this up to another TV (HD) that I have with component inputs to maybe narrow things down.  Thanks again for all your help.

Tatas

Tatas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 06:28:38 pm »
Ok.  It's definitely the CRT TV I have mounted in the cab in some way.  I hooked the PC up to a larger HD lcd tv that I had over the component cables and everything looks beautiful.  I'm going to do some searching around on this specific model of TV, an AKAI 27", CFT2790.

Tatas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 10:43:39 pm »
Ok, after trying everything I could think of with the tv I originally had in the cabinet, I took the plunge and grabbed another one off of craigslist for cheap.  Its a Sony Trinitron 27", has power return, and remembers the input that it was on.  Score!  I must say I love the picture and the colors look great!  Still get a garbled Boot image and POST, but Windows desktop looks fine.  Seems like 640x480 is the max rez that this can use, unless I still have things setup improperly.  Thanks again calamity.  I'm going to uninstall the latest drives that I tried and go back to your 9.3 version paired with groovymame.

Tatas