Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Will this switch work?  (Read 1554 times)

AussieCade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2012, 08:33:22 am
Will this switch work?
« on: November 11, 2011, 07:05:01 pm »
Hi,

Just wondering if someone can tell me if this switch will work to rewire my pc power. Its a momentary rocker switch.

It has 6 inputs on it. does that matter? If im right the pc switch only has 3?

Thanks 

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
Re: Will this switch work?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 01:43:49 pm »
Unless you have some proprietary hardware you're using, a standard PC ATX switch is a momentary on switch with a minimum of two leads. They can have more leads, the others are just unused. This is why some builders are able to use arcade buttons to replace their PC switch.

So the answer to your question is yes, you can use that. Just make sure you wire it appropriately. You likely have two pairs (the first and second row) that are grouped together focus only on the top or bottom row. The center should be your common while one is always "on" and the other is always "off". If you have a multimeter, you can easily figure it out. Otherwise, if the PC behaves strangely, swap the connection on the "left" (in the picture) to the connection on the "right".

Everything I said is for the ATX style switch. If you're trying to wire up the MAINS feeding the PSU or wiring up an AT style power supply just stop what you're doing right now and change your plans.

AussieCade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 10:40:18 pm »

Everything I said is for the ATX style switch. If you're trying to wire up the MAINS feeding the PSU or wiring up an AT style power supply just stop what you're doing right now and change your plans.

Im rewiring the pc's power push button so i dont have to open up the cabinet every time i wanna turn the pc on. Is that ok?

Excuse my lack of knowledge im still new to all of this.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 11:12:17 pm »

Im rewiring the pc's power push button so i dont have to open up the cabinet every time i wanna turn the pc on. Is that ok?

Excuse my lack of knowledge im still new to all of this.

You should be fine. Standard ATX switches go to the motherboard. You can clip the leads and solder or crimp some extensions from the new switch to the motherboard. You can even add the new switch in parallel so the switch on the case is still functional though I don't see much advantage to this. There are probably a thousand sites that describe this process. My wife is staring over my should since I took over her PC for the time being so I'll have to cut out early. If you have any specific Q's on wiring come back and we'll help you.

yaksplat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2021, 03:50:10 pm
    • Random Projects
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 12:05:16 am »
Here's my example of wiring up a power switch.  5 leads on the switch.

http://yaksplat.wordpress.com/2011/10/27/building-the-power-switch/
Check out my current 3 machine build:
http://yaksplat.wordpress.com

Custom Control Panels: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=121245

AussieCade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 12:39:11 am »
Thanks for the help guys.