Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Paradise Arcade Shop: Seimitsu LS-32 / Zippyy Joystick upgrade Kit  (Read 12058 times)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
My order was a small one (a trial run with paradise) consisted of a few Jamma edge's, which were fine, and 2 Seimitsu LS-32 / Zippyy Joystick upgrade Kits. This upgrade kit is just a set of 4 Zippy microswitches with softer actuation, and noise.
The description reads:
Four light-weight lever arm Zippy microswitches are the perfect modification for your Zippyy or Seimitsu LS-32.  These custom produced switches virtually eliminate noise and the snappy feel of the heavier microswitches.  

Now, I gotta say, I love these switches. I got them for shump/shooter gameplay, installing them on my LS-32's.  
They're light, less noisy, and are a great upgrade from the stock LS-32 switches.

BUT...on my LS-32's I use the official round gates, and while these switches are great with a square-gate, they completely fail using the round one!
For some reason, perhaps because of the light action, the diagonal directions on the round gates does not actuate consistently! It will sometimes miss hitting two switches at once for the diagonals, resulting in much swearing and losing of ships during gameplay.

I've let Bryan know this, and that he should probably update his page to note this quirk.

The LS-32 joystick is the shmupper's joystick of choice, and having switches like these would be great! But folks like me enjoy the smooth action of a round gate over the square during these games, and this kit is not suitable for that. If you're a fighting game fan, and use LS-32's with square gates, these are the switches for you.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 02:05:04 pm by opt2not »

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Paradise Arcade Shop: Seimitsu LS-32 / Zippyy Joystick upgrade Kit
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 09:18:16 pm »
I just got 4 sets of these switch kits earlier this week. I'll be installing 2 sets in my JLWs and 2 sets in my U360s. This should be the last upgrade to my sticks to make my U360s and JLWs feel identical. We'll see what they're like soon. As a side note, I'm using octagonal restrictors and love them. Have you tried octagonal restrictors before? (Don't know if octagonal restrictors can even be used on the LS-32s though)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 09:20:52 pm by Nephasth »

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 10:16:16 pm »
Yes, I like octagonal-gates for shumps more-so than the round-gate, but unfortunately they don't make them for the LS-32's.  Let me know how these switches on a JLW with octagonal restrictors are. It sounds promising...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 10:57:55 pm by opt2not »

armi0024

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2023, 09:57:36 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 09:42:57 pm »
We will have Octo restrictors for LS-32's within the next 4 months, they will also work with Zippyy's :)

We have them all drawn and were supposed to have a batch sent to us from a fellow gamer with a laser cutter, but something happened.  Actually it's a pretty slick gate we made and bring in somethings that are not available for the LS-32 series.

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 09:45:17 pm »
We will have Octo restrictors for LS-32's within the next 4 months, they will also work with Zippyy's :)

We have them all drawn and were supposed to have a batch sent to us from a fellow gamer with a laser cutter, but something happened.  Actually it's a pretty slick gate we made and bring in somethings that are not available for the LS-32 series.

That is pretty awesome. I will be sure to grab one of the LS-32 octos when they come out!
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

armi0024

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 09:53:18 pm »
If people would be that excited about them I can do a short run a local place for even money on sales, then people can let me know what they think... anyone interested?

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 10:38:25 pm »
I'm interested for sure. Wouldn't mind writing up a review for you as well.

At the same time, I've got a few other things I'll need to order as well.

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 11:17:30 pm »
I would be interested... i've got an LS-32 in my Hori Real Arcade Pro, would toss an octo gate in there if cost was reasonable.
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:48:25 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 11:51:44 pm »
Depending on the cost, I'd be interested.

You don't have an octo for the jlw, right?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

armi0024

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 12:02:47 am »
Maybe we should just cut octos for everything :)

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:48:25 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 05:20:56 pm »
Maybe we should just cut octos for everything :)

Well maybe you should!!!  ;D
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:12:09 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 03:53:05 am »
The LS-32 8-way restrictor, will it shorten the throw as well? The engage is nice, but I'd like the throw reduced at least a tiny bit if possible.

I've heard the LS-56 is the better Seimitsu for shmups, but I still haven't tried 'em, mostly because there are no plates to fit one easily in a Mad Catz stick and I already have SUZO's in my cabinets. There's an idea for you, make some SS style plates for the LS-56.  ;D

Nephasth

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 10:48:57 pm »
Yes, I like octagonal-gates for shumps more-so than the round-gate, but unfortunately they don't make them for the LS-32's.  Let me know how these switches on a JLW with octagonal restrictors are. It sounds promising...

Finally got around to installing these switches this evening. Like you, I favor the low actuation pressure and quiet sound of these switches. However, even with an octagonal restrictor, diagonals are hard to hit. I even found that a couple cardinals were hard to hit without any modifications. On one of my U360s I couldn't hit the up switch, it wouldn't even click. On one of my JLWs I couldn't hit the down switch, it would click though, but it ended up being a bad switch, no continuity while engaged. I ended up having to wrap some tape around the switch actuator of the joysticks to make the diagonals easier to hit, but even with that being done, diagonals were very hard to find during game play. These switches need a wider gate (longer throw of the stick) to function properly. I'll be looking for alternatives.

armi0024

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 11:05:56 pm »
These were primarily targeted at the Seimitsu and LS-32 as replacement switch.  For the other joysticks some of the shoulders on the levers and exact dimensions may differ slightly. This can be overcome with some mods to the switches or the joysticks. 
Right now we are working on some drop in replacements for JLF joystick and my work on the JLW's/U360's in the future.  However the versatility of the LS-32 line and the corresponding Zippyy line have us looking at some very signficant mods to that platform.

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 06:08:26 am »

If you want to prototype some restrictors I can print it for you on my printer.  It won't last forever, but it should last long enough for you to see if it works ok.

dmarcum99

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2020, 12:02:36 am
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 09:19:22 pm »
I bought 2 sets of the zippy 20-25gram switches...one specifically for a zippyy.  I haven't installed the zippyy due to my cp is already routed out for the happ style joystick housings.  If someone makes a conversion plate to swap out the top plate for a happ-style setup, that would be cool.

Anyway, for the extra set, I removed the metal bars from the switches and installed them in my IL eurostick.....WINNING!!  :applaud:   I can barely hear the switches actuate and with the sound at normal levels I can't hear the switches at all.  So far I haven't had any issues with diagonals.

armi0024

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 09:21:49 pm »
We have been seriously talking about a universal adapter plate.... just a few other projects in line.  However this might be a great project for Jan...

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2021, 06:14:23 am
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 02:52:25 am »

Finally got around to installing these switches this evening. Like you, I favor the low actuation pressure and quiet sound of these switches. However, even with an octagonal restrictor, diagonals are hard to hit. I even found that a couple cardinals were hard to hit without any modifications. On one of my U360s I couldn't hit the up switch, it wouldn't even click. On one of my JLWs I couldn't hit the down switch, it would click though, but it ended up being a bad switch, no continuity while engaged. I ended up having to wrap some tape around the switch actuator of the joysticks to make the diagonals easier to hit, but even with that being done, diagonals were very hard to find during game play. These switches need a wider gate (longer throw of the stick) to function properly. I'll be looking for alternatives.

I have read this thread and I am totally confused as to what you are doing/trying to do. Switches on U360s? U360s do not use any microswitches at all. In fact that's the entire point of that particular analogue joystick. What am I missing here?

Nephasth

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 09:35:13 am »
You must not have caught my project. I have a dual screen machine, each screen has it's own panel with 2 joysticks. P1 and P3 are on the left panel, P2 and P4 on the right. My P3 and P4 joysticks are JLWs, my P1 and P2 joysticks are U360s. The P3 and P4 sticks click. When playing dual joystick games like Robotron or Smash TV, it's kind of strange. Adding microswitches to the U360s help make the sticks feel identical. That was the main purpose. There is also another, less important purpose for those switches in Hyperspin due to my unique setup, but there is no reason to go into detail about that. I don't know of any other project that uses joysticks/encoders the way mine does. If you're curious about it, you can check out the Two-Headed Beast thread.

jimmy2x2x

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2018, 01:29:48 am
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 05:44:02 pm »

Any news on this?

armi0024

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 11:18:09 pm »
We are working on some options.... Because these are levered micros a pure octagon does not work, we are on prototype number 4 or 5

AGarv

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2016, 07:29:18 pm
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 05:20:38 pm »
You must not have caught my project. I have a dual screen machine, each screen has it's own panel with 2 joysticks. P1 and P3 are on the left panel, P2 and P4 on the right. My P3 and P4 joysticks are JLWs, my P1 and P2 joysticks are U360s. The P3 and P4 sticks click. When playing dual joystick games like Robotron or Smash TV, it's kind of strange. Adding microswitches to the U360s help make the sticks feel identical. That was the main purpose. There is also another, less important purpose for those switches in Hyperspin due to my unique setup, but there is no reason to go into detail about that. I don't know of any other project that uses joysticks/encoders the way mine does. If you're curious about it, you can check out the Two-Headed Beast thread.

Nephasth, did you ever find a solution for U360 switches?  I am also a SmashTV / Total Carnage fan that didn't shell out for 4 u360's.  I also wonder if the microswitches improve the feel of U360s for SF2/MK style fighting games (their biggest weakness currently IMO).

Nephasth

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 01:38:58 pm »

Nephasth, did you ever find a solution for U360 switches?  I am also a SmashTV / Total Carnage fan that didn't shell out for 4 u360's.  I also wonder if the microswitches improve the feel of U360s for SF2/MK style fighting games (their biggest weakness currently IMO).

I ended up using a different style switch (higher actuation force). I also found that you could bend the switch levers towards the center a little. Ultimately, however, I took the switches out completely. I'm currently battling a problem with my P1 U360, it's getting stiff and sticks in spots. I need to pick up a suitable lubricant for the stick.