Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Daphne-dvd troubles  (Read 3563 times)

btoddkelley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2013, 04:52:05 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
Daphne-dvd troubles
« on: June 19, 2002, 11:47:23 am »
You guys were such great help on on getting daphne up and running that i have another question!!!! I have successfully played daphne with mpegs that exist as one file, but when i downloaded the dvdrom version of dragons lair, it expanded as multiple files. (btw, i do own a copy of the the dvd as well as the original ld!) the down load had a frame file with it that i am using. When you start the game (or do an mpeg seek for that matter) it doesn't seem to have but a few scenes (the attract screens and the scenes on inserting coins) is there another step to make daphne play the dvd version???
Thanks
Todd
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »
For it is not enough to have a good mind, rather the main thing is to apply it well.

- Descartes

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Daphne-dvd troubles
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2002, 04:34:10 pm »
Daphne won't run the dvd files, only mpeg rips of those dvd files.  Also the framefile is specific to the rip, if you got it elsewhere then it won't work and you'll have to calibrate manually as described in the daphne documentation.  If the framefile is correct and those are rips then it's merely an incomplete rip and you need to get it elsewhere.  If you own the dvd then i would suggest you rip it yourself.  

toddkelley

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2002, 05:26:41 pm »
The framefile came with the download. I have not tried to make my own frame files(not really sure i am up to that) The other mpegs i have downloaded(from the same place) work great, but they all are one single mpeg file(after windowsror puts them back togather) DL seem to be to 500 plus files to it. I thought there might be another step to setting up daphne to work with the dvdvideo. Also, if you were trying to get better mpeg performance(i have some frame skip, but it works well once the game is played through) what would you change first (don't say win98 I like the way it runs mame!) i have a 1.3 t-bird, 512mb ram g-force 3 with 64mb ddr, 5400 rpm hd. I was thinking the Hd or a motherboard that supports DDR ram. My system plays mame wonderfully. I would really like to to find a hardware solution, even if it means a 2ghz chip!
Thanks
Todd

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2002, 06:04:49 pm »
I know you said not to say ditch 98 but that's the only thing holding you back.  If your hd is really old that might do it though.(i seriously doubt it as seek time was SLOOW on the orignal laser discs)  DDR is not going to make any difference.  The same with the processor.  It involves the way 98 and xp deal with media files. 98 doesn't handle them well as they were in their infancy when the 9X os was being built.  Xp uses the features of the newer video cards to their fullest, as well as actually using 2d hardware acceleration on the desktop, something that 98 simply can't do. (Except with special case software that accesses the hardware directly.)   With a good machine like that it's really time to upgrade to xp.  Mame runs just as good in xp as it does in 98 minus the instability problems associated with 98.  The only thing your going to miss out on is emudx and dual mouse support.  Other than that xp is better in most respects.    

Keith O

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2002, 10:36:43 pm »
Ripping the DVD is really simple with a utility called dvd2daph. Do a search and you'll find it.

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2002, 09:34:35 am »
Dude, forget about downloading the stupid mpeg files.  If you REALLY do own the DVD for it, just rip it yourself.  You will have full control over the quality and everything. There are EASY instructions on the Daphne website.  

I don't know why anyone that REALLY DID owned the DVD rom would bother to try and download the MPEGS anyways.......

" hey guys!  I own the original DL laserdisc and an old laserdisc player, but it doesn't work! So I have no way to rip the MPEGS! Please someone tell me where to download them from!!!!!!!!!!! "    :P

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2002, 04:25:15 pm »
Heh you beat me to it, I was going to play along until he outright asked for it.  Shame on you for spoiling my flaming fun.
:P