Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Megatouch MAXX issues  (Read 19565 times)

MK3FAN

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2022, 07:07:29 pm
Megatouch MAXX issues
« on: October 26, 2011, 03:06:01 pm »
Hey everyone. Not sure if this is the correct forum, but here goes. I have a stand up Megatouch MAXX that has been working great forever. I left it off for a few months and when I turned it on recently, the CMOS had dumped and I had to replace the battery. After re-boot, the CMOS error went away, but now when it gets past the bios and gets all the way to the "MAXX Loading...." screen, I get an error that says "Invalid key for unit blah, blah blah." It appears that the CMOS stored the "key" that allows the system to run the propitiatory software. Any clues on how to fix this as I bought the machine used and don't have a key.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 03:08:07 pm by MK3FAN »
Current collection - 28 cabs, 4 pins. (32 machines and not enough room)

Q*Bert_OP

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2012, 07:20:42 pm
  • Oh yes, we did!
Re: Megatouch MAXX issues
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 03:10:26 pm »
The security key looks like this:

It has to be present at all times for the system to boot!

Remove it from the holder and clean both metal contacts with rubbing alcohol, as well as the holder on the PCB.
WTB: The Grid by Midway (2001), looking for 2 or more complete games, and large marquee

MK3FAN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 03:37:21 pm »
The security key looks like this:

It has to be present at all times for the system to boot!

Remove it from the holder and clean both metal contacts with rubbing alcohol, as well as the holder on the PCB.

Thanks! I'll take a look, but the system boots fine. Just before the screen that allows you to select what game to play comes up is when I get the error message. This will take care of that? It's possible that it fell out of place because I just moved it, so I'll take a look and let you know. Thanks.

Q*Bert_OP

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2012, 07:20:42 pm
  • Oh yes, we did!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 03:43:07 pm »
By boot, I mean fully load into the menu where games can be selected.

Dirt, corrosion, nicotine buildup, etc...these can all cause the "invalid key" error.
WTB: The Grid by Midway (2001), looking for 2 or more complete games, and large marquee

MK3FAN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 04:17:18 pm »
By boot, I mean fully load into the menu where games can be selected.

Dirt, corrosion, nicotine buildup, etc...these can all cause the "invalid key" error.

It's at my parent's house right now. My dad loves it. I'll head over there and check it out.

ed12

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 08:33:17 pm »
the pic of the :key: is indeed the game key,u could have knocked it out of it's socket moving it and or changing the cmos bat
the game will not go beyond game boot mode if it is not it in
it carry's the game security # rev # build#

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

MK3FAN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 09:46:26 pm »
Ok, so I have looked all over the cab, inside and out, and can not find the key inside the machine anywhere, let-a-lone where it would go. It was transported to my parent's house completely together, so if the key fell out, it would be inside the cab somewhere. Nope. Not that I can see anyway. Here are some pics. Anyone wanna point out to me where the key is supposed to go? Beats the hell out of me. The game boots all the way to the screen that says "MAXX... (where the red progress bar goes across the screen), but then says this...

Here is what everything looks like...

No Key...

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 10:39:24 pm »
Megatouch is now part of the AMI Entertainment Network
Home        l        Hardware        l        Software        l        Support        l        Operator's Arena

ADULT CONTENT     BILL ACCEPTORS/COIN MECHS     BOOT PROBLEMS/ERROR MESSAGES/
 REBOOTING     CD-ROM
 CHECKSUM     CREDITS     FREE PLAY     FREEZING/LOCKING UP
 GAME INFO     GAME INSTALLATION     HARD DRIVE     JUKEBOX
 KEYS     LINKING GAMES     MEMORY     MONITOR/PICTURE
 MOTHERBOARDS     PARTS     PAUSE SWITCH     PIN NUMBERS
 PINOUTS/SCHEMATICS     POWER SUPPLY     SCORING     SECURITY KEYS
 SERIAL NUMBERS     6 STAR ENABLE     SLOW BOOTING     SOUND/VOLUME
 THEFT DETERRENT     TOUCHSCREENS/CALIBRATION     UPGRADING PROBLEMS     USB PORTS
 UTILITY DISCS

(Q) I recently acquired a video poker countertop model Megatouch XL.  The picture tube works fine, but I am unable to confirm whether the touchscreen works.  When the computer loads the MEGACDLL.EXE file, it checks the Dallas security IC on the circuit board in the back. My problem is that when the program loads, it immediately errors out with the follow message; "ERROR INVALID KEY!" But the key is present.

(A) The invalid key error can be a defective security key or defective I/O board. Try to clean the edge pins with a pencil eraser on the I/O and riser boards.  It is possible to remove the security key and re-install it.

Worst-case scenario is that the motherboard assembly would need to be sent in for service through an authorized AMI distributor.

(Q) I am repairing the monitor in a Megatouch IV.  I powered up the game and now it shows an "ERROR 3" message.  Would this be related to the power on the board?  The power supply was setting at 4.7V on plus 5V , so I changed it to 5.3V.  Would this cause an "ERROR 3" message to display?

(A) The ERROR 3 points to the security key. In some cases, the voltage is set too low and the game will reset and try to power back up.  The ERROR 3 was used on versions of software used on the CRT-250.  Try reseating the security key.  If the key is defective, it will need to be sent in through an authorized AMI distributor for repair/replacement. The voltage on the power supply should be set at +5.20, which brings the board voltage to about +5.15.

(Q) I recently purchased a Megatouch game, Model # G20-100-003, dated 10/95.  When I turn it on, all I get is a blue screen with the message "KEY COUNT ERROR".  What does that mean and what can I do?

(A) The logic board in your game is a CRT-260.  In the U5 location is a programmed IC that will have a label with the program number.  This IC is called a security key.  It may be loose, or a pin may be bent or missing.  The number of the security key should match the number on the U38 program EPROM.

(Q) Whenever I start my system I get 'INVALID KEY FOR VERSION PG3004-02 V1.00 (11/20/00)!!!' I read on your web tech that it could have something to do with the dashpot, so I checked that and it is connected correctly. I am unsure as to what version the CD is. All the CD has on it is the AMI logo and Web site plus PA0021-01.

(A) The invalid key error is several different issues:

A - Dirty edge pins on the I/O & riser boards. Try cleaning the edge pins with a pencil eraser.

B - Try and reseat the security key.

C - Insufficient memory: try and reseat the SIMMs on the motherboard.

D - Possible defective motherboard assembly.

E - Possible defective security key.

(Q) My question concerns security keys and swapping I/O boards.  Are security keys program-specific or are they "assigned" to an individual I/O board?  I want to be able to swap I/O boards when trying to troubleshoot games with the same model and program without encountering a key identification error.  Can the I/O boards be swapped for testing as long as the game has the same model, program and motherboard?

(A) The I/O boards should not be interchanged, as XL and MAXX are different.  The following is a small list of what motherboards go with what I/O boards:

XL
DeAmertek 486 Motherboard: SA0101-01
Telco 486 Motherboard: SA0101-03
CRT-500 Zeus Megatouch XL I/O Card: SA10023

MAXX
Mitsubishi 586 Motherboard: AMI # EC0026-01
Millennium "Heavy" Megatouch MAXX I/O Card: SA10047-01-0A
or
Millennium "Lite" Megatouch MAXX I/O Card: SA10047-01-0B
(Both I/O boards are interchangeable)

MAXX w/ audio
Mitsubishi 586 Motherboard with Audio: EC0026-03
Itox 586 Motherboard with Audio: EC0026-04
Unicorn 586 Motherboard with Audio: EC0026-09
Millennium "Mini" Megatouch MAXX I/O Card: SA10051-02
For more detailed information, see the Motherboard Identification document on our Web site under Support Center/Board Identification.  Also see tech2008.pdf for XL, MAXX, and Force security key and programs.

(Q) On bootup of my Megatouch XL, "INVALID KEY" pops up and the game goes no further.  Do you have any suggestions?

(A) An INVALID KEY error occurs when the motherboard is unable to communicate with the security key located on the I/O board.
On an XL Gold program, the key will have a program number of SA3039-XX or SA3033-XX.
For XL 6000, the key will have a program number of SA3019-XX.

Try reseating the security key (it may have become loose) and cleaning the connections between the I/O, riser and motherboard.  To be of further assistance, we will need the program number of the security key and the CD in your game.

follow the http >
http://www.meritind.com/support_center/technical.asp#SECURITY<

p.s the key look's like the 1 in pic #2 of the reply's.is this the one u removed ?
ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

MK3FAN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 11:23:43 pm »

p.s the key look's like the 1 in pic #2 of the reply's.is this the one u removed ?
ed

I didn't remove anything. The battery that I replaced was the one on the motherboard. Not the one on the top pcb. That is the battery that has always been in there. The only thing that's different is that I replaced the bottom pcb battery. I don't recall ever seeing a security key because when I got the game, the fuse for the sound was blown. I had to replace it and never saw that security key. If it's a battery issue, what's the correct one? There is a CR2032 in there now.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 11:42:40 pm »
u need a cd-rom hooked to it
try that first
nothing in the rom just let it see it
then in bios turn it on/off
it is your bios .cfg doing it
get back to me
i can walk u throught the rest

ed

MK3FAN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 01:09:27 am »
u need a cd-rom hooked to it
try that first
nothing in the rom just let it see it
then in bios turn it on/off
it is your bios .cfg doing it
get back to me
i can walk u throught the rest

ed

Upon close inspection, there is no USB connection for me to use an external CD drive.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 11:12:40 am »
it has an ide harddrive right ?
if so daisy chain it off of that port

get back to me

ed

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 12:34:28 pm »
i have seen allot of IO board in my days... http://www.meritind.com/Support_Center/manuals/board%20id.pdf... but i have never seen this IO board, nor is it listed here. i'm wondering if it's some kind of Chinese hack or something along thos lines??. but i believe this is what you are looking for. it should be your security key. perhaps someone removed the handle off it (i often take it off because the bend in it sometimes makes it get pushed out of contact due to wires etc when it gets closed up or moved.)

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 01:21:51 pm »
lilshawn

ya thats a strange i/o
but that dose look like the key point
what ppl need to rem is that them key's look just like a bios bat
some i have do not have the normal plastic tap we have come to know
and are just bard like a 3.6v bios bat

ed

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:42:45 pm
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 02:13:08 pm »
On the XL, there is a "two button reset" where you hold in the setup and calibrate buttons the entire time it boots.
I usually have to do the two button reset after messing around with the drives.  Can't hurt to try it.

I'd still be leaning toward a bad connection somewhere between the mobo, riser, & I/O board.
It could just be a difference in machines, but compared to my XLs,
your I/O board doesn't look like it's pushed all the way into the riser.
The edge of my I/O board sits flush against the plastic socket.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 02:14:55 pm by BadMouth »

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 02:19:49 pm »
ok let's step back here for a sec
in 1 of the pic's i c the mirco
in none of the other's dose it show up ?
kindly do a full pic of this unit
with all board's/hd etc attached
as i have been going through the merit stuff
and a new full pic will help 1 heck of alot

ed

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 03:03:13 pm »
this is a key that has been removed from it's holder... it does look allot like a button cell battery. if you take it out it probably says "ibutton.com" or if it's older, "Dallas" with a whole series of numbers. that would be the key.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 03:08:45 pm »
lilshawn

i am thinking that same thing also

ed

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 03:17:14 pm »
is this your machine ?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 05:37:31 pm »
is this your machine ?

it's close, but i think his machine is might be a real early run model. something they put together. that IO board looks like a first run version just after the "square chip" IO boards (between SA 10023 and SA 10047 because starting with the "47" IO board they included PCMCIA connectors for the modem for online tournaments and the unknown board has no PCMCIA but no "square" chip) early 23 boards had an adapter made to convert the "square" to round

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 11:31:53 am »
found it!!! it's a 260:

http://www.accessmerit.com:8088/TechCenter/Products/260/index.asp

boy howdy that took some digging! Found an old Merit site that looks like it's been abandoned since about 2005

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 01:45:51 pm »
thk's
i pulled down there complete lib. of every machine built >18.5meg<
came to thinking,if this key is not of the dallas type?,
and not our known batt style.
this is the reason i asked the nick to repost some clearer pic's
but just the same now the nick has a starting point :)

ed

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 01:48:50 pm »
The Dallas key is located near DS2 &
DS3 on the small circuit board inside the
rear of the game. It is a black box
approx. 3/4-inch square. Make sure that
all pins are properly connected between
the key and the board.

ed

MK3FAN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 10:59:35 pm »
The Dallas key is located near DS2 &
DS3 on the small circuit board inside the
rear of the game. It is a black box
approx. 3/4-inch square. Make sure that
all pins are properly connected between
the key and the board.

ed

Thanks everyone. I'm on vacation in Thailand right now but I'll take a look when I get back home.