Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Settings for Win 7 x64 VGA cab  (Read 3745 times)

ratsflif

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 06:08:07 pm
Settings for Win 7 x64 VGA cab
« on: October 31, 2011, 05:05:40 pm »
Hey,

Im setting up my Naomi Universal cab which has a VGA only monitor.  Im running win 7 x64 so I cant use the custom ati driver for my HD4670.  What settings should I set in the mame.ini?  I'm running the newest groovymame x64 143u8 and some games look and play great while others are not working correctly.

Thanks for any help

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: Settings for Win 7 x64 VGA cab
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 05:36:31 pm »
Well that depends enterily on which resolutions you have available in your system. Get us some logs of one of those games that are not working properly, as it's explained here:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=113382.0

...that will help us to be more precise. Also, are you planning to switch resolutions or just use your desktop resolution for everything?
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

ratsflif

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 06:54:18 pm »
I have been just running every game at 640x480 with the mainline mame but I hate the screen tearing and if i use the triplebuffer I get the sound hiccups.  I have no problem switching resolutions but want to keep from having to adjust the monitor controls between games.  Here are logs from two games.

Ms Pacman: looks great but it is running at %300 until i hit f10.  The game doesnt adjust automatically.

Mushi Futari:  plays in a small window with black boarders on all sides.  Looks like it is the correct aspect ratio though.

Those are just two quick examples.  I play a lot of vert shmups on the hori monitor.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 06:57:12 pm by ratsflif »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 08:58:50 am »
If you are happy with running every game at 640x480 (your desktop resolution) then set your mame.ini for a fixed resolution monitor, this is done by using this option:

monitor lcd

Also, you need to use a monitor_specs line, where most of the values are dummy* ones and only the last ones are relevant:

monitor_specs0            29100.00-31500.00,50.00-65.00,1.200,1.200,3.000,0.028,0.044,0.524,0,0,480,480

Use the video interface that works best for you, when scaling is involved d3d is usually faster:

video d3d

That should allow you to run all games at your default desktop resolution and refresh.

If you want to play a little more you can install Powerstrip and once it's activated use this option:

powerstrip 1

That should allow an aditional tweak of your desktop resolution to approximate the game's native refresh keeping within the ranges specified by the monitor_specs line (*that's when the values at the beginning of the line are actually used so I chose some logical ones for a VGA monitor).

--------------

At some point, consider using WinXP 64 instead of Win 7, it will make your CRT's life easier.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 09:01:30 am by Calamity »
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

ratsflif

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 12:23:23 pm »
I've tested out a few games with the settings you provided as well as the soundsync option and the games seem to be playing well.

I have considered trying xp 64 again but I remember it not working out that well when I tried it years ago.