Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: help with resolution issues  (Read 3216 times)

2panther

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2014, 04:02:12 pm
help with resolution issues
« on: October 22, 2011, 10:37:05 pm »
So while I patiently wait for SNAAKE to complete my CP overlay and marquee I've been poking around with Hyperspin and MAME

I'm not sure if this is a monitor (TV in this case) issue or a software issue so if it needs to be moved please do so. After screwing around with my nvidia 9500gt and being unable to get windows 7 to recognize my tv as another display I found a forum post where someone went back from the current drivers to 190.62 release. The TV is detected, sorta (it shows up as an HDTV) and when I set it to 480i 640x480 and fire up Hyperspin the bottom of the screen gets cut off (see first image) I'm duplicating the desktop from the other video card output that is vga to an 19" LCD (see second image) where Hyperspin fills the screen properly and nothing is cut off.

If I fire up MAME64 to test a ROM that also doesn't fill the screen (see third image)

what am I missing? I've double checked the resolution is indeed 640x480 which I believe to be the native resolution of this old 27" Sony WEGA. I'm utilizing the dongle that came with the 9500gt and connecting to the component input on the tv board.

I'm banging my head on the wall, ideas?

sorry for the crappy iPhone pics. I can take more detailed shots if needed.

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:26:13 am
Re: help with resolution issues
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 02:23:57 am »
Why people have to do things the hard way?
If your taking the time to build a cab, i think is best to use the cab as a dedicated machine, therefore any OS that gives such problems would have to be disregarded.I dont understand why people try to use windows 7 on a arcade dedicated machine and have win7 steal so much ram that could be use on the actual software you are goin to use.Using xp64 would probably be better and if you ask me, ill use xp32 as i always find driver issues on xp64.Ibet you will have less problems and more fun if you use regular stuff.Im not quite sure but i believe hyperspin minimun resolution its 800x600.

Nephasth

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 02:33:03 pm »
Im not quite sure but i believe hyperspin minimun resolution its 800x600.

I'm running Hyperspin at 640x480.

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:26:13 am
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 06:19:39 pm »
Im not quite sure but i believe hyperspin minimun resolution its 800x600.

I'm running Hyperspin at 640x480.
and i bet the themes dont look right.  :cheers:

Nephasth

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 10:26:08 pm »
It actually works and looks great. So much for betting. :cheers:

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 06:11:07 am »
i used to run hyperspin at 320x240 on an arcade monitor. themes looked fine there too.

the issue you're having with the screen is due to 'overscan'. most TVs are adjusted so that the edges of the screen fall outside the boarder of the bezel. when designing graphics for broadcast television, the rule of thumb is to call the "safe zone" for graphics to be around 90% of the overall size, since that last 10% doesn't show up in the same place on every screen. obviously this has changes since the move to digital.

so your options are either to try and get into the service mode of the television to adjust it there, or to use overscan adjustment on the videocard. however it looks like in recent versions of the nvidia drivers (eg; for win7) that options might have been removed.

See if this gets you anywhere:
http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/sonyadj.html

2panther

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 12:21:49 pm »
i used to run hyperspin at 320x240 on an arcade monitor. themes looked fine there too.

the issue you're having with the screen is due to 'overscan'. most TVs are adjusted so that the edges of the screen fall outside the boarder of the bezel. when designing graphics for broadcast television, the rule of thumb is to call the "safe zone" for graphics to be around 90% of the overall size, since that last 10% doesn't show up in the same place on every screen. obviously this has changes since the move to digital.

so your options are either to try and get into the service mode of the television to adjust it there, or to use overscan adjustment on the videocard. however it looks like in recent versions of the nvidia drivers (eg; for win7) that options might have been removed.

See if this gets you anywhere:
http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/sonyadj.html

Great info, I can get into the service menu now but I don't know what I'm doing and nothing I scrolled through was obvious as the overscan setting. Any guesses, I haven't tried it but would power strip be able to control that?

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 05:50:48 pm »
from that web site, i'd take a guess at this one:
PADJ     63    0-255   Hor/Vert Picture Adjustment (total picture)

2panther

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 09:31:55 pm »
I went through the entire menu a couple times and couldn't find that setting but I decreased vertical size and now it looks right to me.

Now I need to get my video card to output to my tv without the additional LCD attached. I can't get the CRT to be the main display with out the LCD plugged in.

I also need to somehow get power to my novamatrix linx , I'm not an electrician by any means so that will be a project in itself.