Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: WTB: IBM Model M keyboard - KY  (Read 5329 times)

Jack Burton

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 11:32:31 pm
WTB: IBM Model M keyboard - KY
« on: October 21, 2011, 07:31:33 pm »
Looking for an old clicky keyboard by IBM.  These things were indestructable.

I'm more likely to want to trade arcade and gaming related things than offer cash, but if the price is right we can work something out. 

Alpha-tron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 10:01:45 pm
Re: WTB: IBM Model M keyboard - KY
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 12:29:16 am »
You know that they use a lot of current and  may still not work with the new mother boards even with the pull up resistor installed in the model M

There is a USB adapter that work with the Model M that seems some issues with mother boards that don't..

I know I got some used one and Lots of parts of the Model M kicking around here. I use to sell rebuilt ones 15 years ago. 
Ms pacman, Tron, Lunar lander and Battle zone

Jack Burton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 12:44:12 am »
These get used a lot by hacker types so I'm not really worried about damaging my board.  I actually had two that got left behind in my old apartment and I've been having to make do with this terrible membrane pos since.  Send me a pm if you are looking for anything and we might be able to set up a trade. 

MonMotha

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2018, 05:45:54 pm
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 01:48:37 am »
Unicomp ended up with the rights to that old design (via spinoff from Lexmark which was itself a spinoff of IBM), and they actually still make them.  I don't personally have one (I have an old Model M), but I'm told they're essentially identical.  You can also get the same spring style in the more compact modern formfactors as well as with USB, if that fits your fancy, and with niceties like the "Windows Logo" accelerator key that I have trouble living without these days (on Windows and Linux, but mostly the latter).

They also have the "Active Response" rubber dome membrane keyboards that IBM made for a while.  I actually kinda prefer them to the spring style.  They're WAAAAY better than the cheap $5 keyboards that come with most OEM computers or that you find in the bargain aisle at your local computer farm (TM).  Probably why they cost $50 instead of $5 :)

Jack Burton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 02:31:02 am »
It's funny, Unicomp is based out of Lexington, the place I moved from and left my old keyboards there :P  I once called them to see if they had a particularly rare buckling spring keyboard in stock and they said they did not but offered to sell me one very similar at a discount.  From the way the person on the phone talked they're a very small, engineer led company. 

and yes, the unicomp customizer IS a model M.  Not sure I'm gonna drop $80 for a new one though.  I'll hunt for a while or try to trade. 

Once I do get a model M I might email them and see if I can get a nice set of those grey keycaps from them. 

Alpha-tron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 10:01:45 pm
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 04:09:59 am »
I got spare board and spare caps and the funny thing is I still using the same model M for 10 years. It's Number 2.. Old number one got dropped and was never the same again but I did save it for parts. I use to keep collecting them when I saw them at the swap meets.

Trust me you will know the differences between The Model M and the Unicomp. I get odd calls about the Model M every few years from close friends or friends of friends.

There are some Model M on Ebay, If you want to go that route.

I did find a Dusty model M but it doesn't have a cable. It needs a serious cleaning.

I use to have a few already cleaned and wrapped in plastic. I need to take a look ..

Ms pacman, Tron, Lunar lander and Battle zone

bleargh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 12:21:14 pm
  • ribbit...
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 12:55:15 am »
I'll nod along w/Unicomp being a good source for a "new" Model M... I've got a "Customizer 101" here (yeah, *101*, not that 104 crap) that I picked up six or seven years back to replace the original Model M I was using at the time and had worn out a few keys on.  For me it was just quicker to order one from them than to chase an original one down and clean it up.

Louis Tully

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2015, 09:41:03 pm
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 10:15:51 am »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:01:40 am by Louis Tully »

Jack Burton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 06:46:39 pm »
I think that will work.  PM sent. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 06:49:25 pm by Jack Burton »

patchboston

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2020, 09:31:04 am
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 11:54:57 pm »
 I have an extra model m keyboard which has been taken apart and fully cleaned (I even broke down and bought a deep-well bit). If your interested, we could prob work on a trade/sale

-Dave
Own: Pac-man, TMNT, P.O.W.

Jack Burton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 03:41:05 am »
I broke down and ordered one off of ebay.  Should be coming in the mail tomorrow.  I'm excited about a keyboard!  :P

patchboston

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2020, 09:31:04 am
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 09:24:24 pm »
You'll be very happy with your Model M! I highly recommend buying a deep-well hex bit for the screws, every Model M I have encountered (I'm on the 4th one) has been dirty as heck and required a deep cleaning. I forget the exact size, but a good search should pull up the right info; I had to buy mine online, btw.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 09:27:26 pm by patchboston »
Own: Pac-man, TMNT, P.O.W.