Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: has anyone used the spitfire joystick from ggg?  (Read 4779 times)

severdhed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
has anyone used the spitfire joystick from ggg?
« on: October 08, 2011, 08:53:31 pm »
I was just wondering if any of you have used the spitfire joystick from groovygamegear? I am using sanwa jlw sticks for players 1 and 2 in my 4 player cabinet, and currently have x-arcade sticks for players 3 and 4.  I want to replace them so that i can have all balltop joysticks, so naturally, i planned on getting two more jlw sticks...but then i saw the spitfire sticks on ggg and they look promising,since they are balltops and use the square restrictors ike the jlw...plus the price is better...have any of you used these? How do they feel?
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

Subconscious

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2022, 06:35:21 pm
    • Press Start News
Re: has anyone used the spitfire joystick from ggg?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 09:57:29 pm »
i'd like to know the same. been wondering how they compare to the sanwa sticks. and how they differ in terms of feel from the roundhouse and zippyy sticks GGG has as well.

Press Start News. Your news source for all things gaming.
http://www.facebook.com/PressStartNews
Twitter: @pressstartnews

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 04:42:38 pm »
well...that is discouraging...i figured at least someone has bought some of these sticks.  I am probably going to try them, but it will not be for a few months.  So, if anyone tries one, please let us know
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 09:27:53 am »
I know this is an old thread but I'm looking for some feedback on these sticks. How do they compare to the sanwas?

klondikekd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2013, 09:23:31 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 09:46:34 am »
If anyone is still interested I just built my first cab last week, joined the forum not minutes ago and I have the spitfires. Cant compare them to anything other then the x arcade as that is the only other joystick I have. final verdict? Not too happy, the spring is super loose and the square restrictor is a bit of a downer for me.  I had very limited space to mount the sticks and that is what drew me to the spitfires. Trying to find ways to stiffen them up (they literally hang down just shy of pushing the micro switch on my slanted panels) and make them more accommodating for 4 way games is what drew me to this post. Having just built my first machine I am learning a lot. A lot I would have liked to do differently and the joysticks are one part of that I can fix.  Any advice on one stick that works well with 4 and 8 way games? I would like to keep a blue ball top on them and they need to be low profile. At this point I assume an octagonal restrictor would be best and as for the springs I'm sure I can work something out.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 10:08:53 am »
They are Sanwa JLF knockoffs, so the spring is super light...like a Sanwa JLF.
I put Seimitsu LS-56 springs in my JLFs which was a little better, but still waaaay less than American style joysticks.

http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/search?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=spring
has stiffer springs for the JLF.  I don't know that they would work on the Spitfire, but they probably would.

I bought a selection of the heavier ones for my JLFs, but ended up going back to the lighter ones.
I don't recall which ones I ordered.  I've been meaning to go back and experiment with them again now that I have a control panel together.

Focusattack sells the 2lb one, so that is probably the choice among fighting aficionados.
These are guys that are used to light action Japanese sticks though.
http://www.focusattack.com/2lb-tension-spring-for-sanwa-jlf/

thatpurplestuff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:19:42 am
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 11:13:25 am »
 :-\ Crap... I purchased 2 of these sticks a while ago for my upcoming cabinet build so I really hope they don't suck.  I noticed that they felt very loose but I was thinking that it might just be me... I'll definitely be building a mockup CP to install them in to see how they feel before I decide whether I'll use them as-is, replace the spring, or just scrap them.

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

StragoRx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 05, 2014, 05:56:09 pm
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 11:35:15 am »
I got one for my 2p cab, the biggest thing I noticed is its extremely loose with a lot of at rest wiggle. I actually ended up purchasing another stick for cosmetic reasons, and never played with the spitfire, I still have it sitting around for use in a smaller project.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 03:13:51 pm »
There have been some changes to these since we first started offering them, one of which we special order.  The Spitfires are now stiffer, center better and have different switches than are normally standard with this type of stick.  We also make sure they are well lubed due to the heavier spring.

There is still a tiny bit of play at the centered position, but nothing like the earlier version.  They are a nice option these days, especially where space is limited.

Compared to something like an X-Arcade, which is very stiff, it's not surprising that a major difference is seen.  They are a different kind of stick, with a very different centering action, as are all Japanese-style sticks.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 03:18:34 pm by RandyT »

roknrol

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2023, 05:04:35 pm
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 06:18:28 pm »
@ RandyT: Thanks for the background information on the Spitfires in their current configuration. I'm also curious as to the modifications made to the Sanwa JLWs to create the current Omni2 sticks. How do they differ from the stock JLWs?

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 09:26:47 am »
@ RandyT: Thanks for the background information on the Spitfires in their current configuration. I'm also curious as to the modifications made to the Sanwa JLWs to create the current Omni2 sticks. How do they differ from the stock JLWs?

The OMNI2's  are a JLW inspired stick, but not a JLW.  They are broken down to all of the individual components, re-assembled a bit differently with all new hardware and an extra internal part we make, lube applied at 7 points, the restriction switching handle added, tuned and tested.  A fair amount of time and care goes into these to make them one of the better performing sticks.

roknrol

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2023, 05:04:35 pm
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 12:17:23 pm »
I appreciate the full description. I figured it went beyond just a replacement/modification of the restrictor. Both sticks seem like pretty solid choices. Decisions, decisions ...!