Software Support > GroovyMAME

Soundcard trouble with GroovyMame LiveCD

(1/1)

infariot25:
Hello,

I've been trying out the GroovyMame LiveCD v143 (installed it to my hard drive) and I like it. I am able to get the video portion working but I'm having lots of trouble getting sound to work at all. So far I've tried 3 different sound cards and 2 different computers which I have outlined below. Each configuration listed has the LiveCD installed to the hard drive after going through all steps in `gasetup`. The chosen audio engine is OSS (I tried ALSA to no avail). Also I'm unsure whether `osstest` should produce sound when run (and testing); I didn't get any audio output when I used it.

Configuration 1
------------------
AMD64 3000+
ENVY24HT onboard sound

On boot, OSS fails to start. After boot, I attempted `osstest` and it said "no audio devices available". I successfully loaded the OSS module myself using `insmod oss_envy24.ko`(and `insmod oss_envy24ht.ko`just in case) but still received the same error. Also I did not see the OSS driver listed with my card's entry in `lspci -k`:

--- Code: ---===CUT===
00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. VT1720/24 [Envy24PT/HT] PCI Multi-Channel Audio Controller (rev 01)
Subsystem: Albatron Corp. Device 2c05
Kernel modules: snd-ice1724
===CUT===

--- End code ---

Configuration 2
------------------
Intel 2.xGHZ socket 423
onboard ICH2 intel sound

After install, OSS starts up fine. `osstest` passes but I am unable to get any audio output. I attempted adjusting the levels of everything I could think of using `ossmix` but still nothing. I also tried every audio jack on the board as well. When `groovymame` is running, it shows up under the vmix section of `ossmix`.

Configuration 3
------------------
Intel 2.xGHZ socket 423
(disabled via BIOS) onboard ICH2 intel sound
Soundblaster live PCI card

OSS did not detect this card automatically. I loaded the sblive OSS module with `insmod oss_sblive.ko` (and insmod oss_emu10k1.ko just in case). I also ran `ossdetect -d` and `osstest` passed but I am unable to get sound still. I tried all jacks on this card as well.

I'm not sure how to proceed at this point and my knowledge of Gentoo is not what it should be. Am I missing some crucial step for audio configuration? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

infariot25:
I got a few hours of testing in last night and was able to get sound working on Configuration 1 using ALSA (instead of OSS). Still, I'm struggling with Configuration 2 and 3 since I have another cabinet that needs some guts. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Also noticed that occasionally, when launching a game or exiting the frontend, the computer will stop responding and the monitor says no signal. The computer still pings but no ssh and I can not ESC to exit or change TTY. I am unsure which logs to look at for this. It's completely random too. Sometimes it happens on the first run of a game after boot, other times it happens after I've loaded and exited a few games. Other times it happens when exiting the frontend. This happens with both of my computers. One thing that I think I should mention is that I do not keep my roms on the local disk, instead I mount a samba share in `fstab`. I don't think this should matter but just in case.

Thanks for looking!

Calamity:
In my case I was unable to get my soundcard working with OSS, it only worked using ALSA.

Hopefully bitbytebit can give you some hint.

infariot25:
Hello,

I did some more experimentation today. If I boot off of the CD (v143 32-bit) and configure sound using ALSA, it works fine. However if I install to hard drive using the exact same settings I get some weird behavior.

Upon first boot after install, ALSA appears to start. Then a few lines after that, it says "Starting OSS" which succeeds (?!?). I figure that OSS should not start if ALSA is being used for sound. When attempting to run MAME after this boot, I do not get sound.

If restarted, on the next boot (and subsequent boots) ALSA fails to load saying it can not find any hardware configuration. Of course, I am unable to get sound.

Since it works fine when in LiveCD mode, it's possible that there is something the hard drive install does that causes sound to not work.

Calamity:

--- Quote from: infariot25 on November 13, 2011, 05:23:43 pm ---Hello,

I did some more experimentation today. If I boot off of the CD (v143 32-bit) and configure sound using ALSA, it works fine. However if I install to hard drive using the exact same settings I get some weird behavior.

Upon first boot after install, ALSA appears to start. Then a few lines after that, it says "Starting OSS" which succeeds (?!?). I figure that OSS should not start if ALSA is being used for sound. When attempting to run MAME after this boot, I do not get sound.

If restarted, on the next boot (and subsequent boots) ALSA fails to load saying it can not find any hardware configuration. Of course, I am unable to get sound.

Since it works fine when in LiveCD mode, it's possible that there is something the hard drive install does that causes sound to not work.

--- End quote ---

I'm pretty sure that the ALSA/OSS issue after installation has been reported before, not sure if they found a workaround or not, if they did the answer must be somewhere in this post:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=106405.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version