Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Finished Mini-Arcade Cabinet!  (Read 5908 times)

Mister Hat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2013, 10:05:59 pm
Finished Mini-Arcade Cabinet!
« on: September 26, 2011, 04:23:41 am »
After about 2 months of work, I completed my "mini" MAME cabinet. I used Wah!Cade with a stripped install of Lubuntu as the front-end. I chose to go with a single-player route with ten buttons and a 4-way joystick all purchased from Suzo-Happ. The computer I used was a Dell OptiPlex GX280 stripped apart and installed to the bottom piece. As for the monitor I just used a 17" Dell LCD with removed plastic attached to the back of the monitor piece. The dimensions of the cabinet are 78cm high, 49cm wide and 43.5cm in depth. Most of the cabinet is made using MDF board however the back is a piece of pegboard to allow for some better ventilation and weight loss. The pegboard is hinged to the back and has 3 magnets to keep it shut. I added small rubber feet to the bottom in order make this slightly elevated (to easily open) and to prevent damage to the bottom. Because the motherboard I used didn't have an extra fan slot, I hooked up an extra fan directly to the power-supply to mount at the back. As for speakers I used two $5 car stereo speakers bolted to the back, soldered to a $3 computer-speaker board.

Pretty much complete cabinet (just didn't screw in the control panel and clean it up).

The bottom piece with all of the computer components mounted.

All of the un-painted pieces laid out.

The cabinet before I installed the monitor and control panel pieces.

The control chip from the monitor. Couldn't really find a use for it but it's useful to keep around just incase :).

A nice view from the back. You can see how the monitor was mounted as well as the power bar.

A closed view from the back with finger-guard and power button.

Blurry picture of the USB slots, headphone jack and pinball button.

The fan set-up.

The original idea for the monitor ;).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 04:30:02 am by Mister Hat »

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
Re: Finished Mini-Arcade Cabinet!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 04:43:27 am »
You used a 4 way joystick with 6 button street fighter layout?   ???

Mister Hat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2013, 10:05:59 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 03:59:02 pm »
You used a 4 way joystick with 6 button street fighter layout?   ???
Yeah :(. I'm just going to replace the 4-way with an 8-way soon.

JohnEDollar

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2015, 06:36:55 pm
  • Keep it Smooth...
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 10:54:57 am »

Most of the cabinet is made using MDF board however the back is a piece of pegboard to allow for some better ventilation and weight loss.

Good idea to use pegboard for ventilation.

Great job!!   :cheers:

- John