Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GameonGrafix review with custom artwork review  (Read 6089 times)

Gatt

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2020, 08:24:38 pm
GameonGrafix review with custom artwork review
« on: August 22, 2011, 07:34:41 pm »
Custom Art review:

I used the link on Gameon's page to initiate a custom artwork request.  I sent a description of what I had in my head and the characters I wanted represented.  In under 24 hours,  Vlad returned my contact with some clarification questions and a estimate.  I made the initial payment,  and work began.  I quickly received a partially done set of images of the side panels and the marquee.  Offered my feedback and expressed to Vlad that I was ok with artist's interpretation and inspiration,  which I feel is key to generating beautiful art.

A couple days later,  I received another set of images,  which showed the plan needed refinement.  Vlad and I spoke back and forth,  solidified a direction and a set of interweaved themes for the pieces,  I requested a 4th piece be added for the front of the cabinet,  which he included for me.  After two more minor stages of refinement,  we were done.

The artwork was amazing,  Vlad says that he posted it to his facebook page,  his skill is impressive.  I can't say enough about his communication and flexibility.  His pricing is quite fair.  I feel that his services are worth every dime!

I would post the proofs here,  but sadly the board seems to want hyperlinks and I've no webspace.  If you're interested you'll have to view Vlad's facebook page,  mine are the pieces with the Dragon's Lair characters on the lower half,  I don't think you could miss them!

GameonGrafix:

Once the custom art was completed,  Vlad forwarded it to GoG for printing for me.  I spoke briefly with Scott,  and made the appropriate purchases through the site.

Seven days later I received tracking notification,  and received my marquee already mounted on plexiglass,  two side pieces,  and the center piece,  all beautifully printed with no issues at all.  Even the packaging was first rate,  with multiple layers of protection.  A outer box,  with inner paper packing,  with the marquee then wrapped in another layer of paper,  and the other art pieces carefully rolled in a poster tube and covered in a protective wrapping of paper.  A postal worker would've been hard pressed to find a way to damage this package!

Overall I would rate the experience as one of the highest possible,  I would strongly recommend GameonGrafix and Vlad for any art needs without hesitation.

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: GameonGrafix review with custom artwork review
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 07:38:02 pm »
 :pics

Or at least links to the pics...

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 08:08:42 pm »
Yes, if you click on "additional options" under the text box, you can upload pictures. Would love to see it!
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

Gatt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 11:18:02 pm »
Ok,  I'll give this a shot,  I completely missed the additional options...

There's a pair of interwoven themes here,  one obvious,  one not so obvious.  The first theme,  the one I'd originally wanted was "Good" characters on one side,  "Bad" characters on the other.  But as Vlad's artwork flowed,  it created an opportunity for a second them to be added.

If you look,  you'll see the artwork actually flows with representations of the major era's in Arcade Gaming,  with a couple of minor exceptions.  "Golden Era" starts at the marquee,  and flows part way down the sides of the cab,  hitting the Laser Disc era at the bottoms of the sides,  and flowing into the fighter era with the panel that will sit in the front middle of the cabinet.  There are a couple exceptions,  Q-bert sits a little low but it felt a bit better that way.  Rampage is represented up at the top a little out of it's era but I couldn't resist the opportunity for the imagery.  We also tried to keep the artwork in opposition,  each panel has good/evil opposition roughly mirrored against each other,  straight down to pac-man and the q-bert baddie balancing each other's position on the MAME.

Overall,  I'm very impressed with the results,  I hope others feel the same.  Of particular note,  and I'm sure it's hard to see the fine detail,  Vlad did incredible effects with Sub-Zero's hands generating amazing snowflake/frost effect leading into his ball.

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 11:20:48 pm »
Pac chomping the M is a nice touch.
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

Gatt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 10:18:54 pm »
Oh,  I was going to wait until I have it on the cabinet,  but if a bunch of people want to see the finished product I'll snap some shots before.

benll64

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2020, 09:40:31 pm
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 06:30:57 pm »
So, how much did Game On charge for everything?

Turnarcades

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2017, 08:14:29 am
  • Craig @ Turnarcades
    • Turnarcades
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 08:27:38 pm »
So, how much did Game On charge for everything?

This is something UK builders may be wondering too. In our experience, a typical standard-size 2-player JAMMA cabinet (such as those similar in proportions to our 'Master' model), for an Ultimate marquee, adhesive-backed control panel and full-size side-art, including actual cost at exchange rate, VAT, customs charges and Royal Mail handling fees when it gets to the UK, will cost around £160. There are only a few print companies offering similar finishes and print in such high quality for this type of application in the UK and although a tiny bit cheaper, nowhere near the quality of gameongrafix.