Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: You should read Ready Player One.  (Read 24346 times)

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: You should read Ready Player One.
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2017, 01:00:07 pm »
It's a fun book, yes, but not great.
Like movies, people put too much emphasis on everything has to be criterion quality, epic masterpieces. Just take it for what it is, entertaining.

Last year I read through a whole gamut of classic sci-fi, from Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? to Fahrenheit 451 to the Foundation series. All great reads, classics, incredible writing and creativity for their time. Heck, some ideas are in standard sci-fi today!
This year I've been continuing through the Ender series and Star Wars novels. Not the the best writing for sure, but definitely entertaining. Actually for the Ender series I'm more addicted than anything.

My point is, RPO has a lot of fun points that make it a guilty pleasure. I recommend it to people who would get the references, but are also interested in sci-fi stories as it harkens back to the classic virtual world voyerism ideas that were set forth by classic novels like Neuromancer and the like.

And with VR being the trend now, it's makes sense that Hollywood is jumping on anything related to cash in on.
Oh, I totally agree it's supposed to be fun. And it is. But when you have ---meecrobs--- like Kaneda saying it's an awesome book that changed his life (look it uo), well...
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2017, 01:05:02 pm »
The author also likes Rush way too much.  Having any positive  opinion about Rush besides indifference is thinking too much about Rush.

Yeah way, may too much Rush and this is coming from a fan.  He acted like the album 2112 changed his life--I've never made it though a complete listening of it.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2017, 02:27:10 pm »
Oh, I totally agree it's supposed to be fun. And it is. But when you have ---meecrobs--- like Kaneda saying it's an awesome book that changed his life (look it uo), well...
Well he is a grown-ass man with TMNT bedding.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2017, 01:04:51 am »
You guys need to let it go.

Mikezilla

• I have a hairy back and everything!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2017, 07:06:56 pm
  • I can't see the picture darn it!!!
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2017, 06:13:57 pm »
So I leave for a few years and come back and one of my threads is still kicking. Thats awesome!  :applaud:
Pictures are overrated anyway.

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2017, 06:16:34 pm »
So I leave for a few years and come back and one of my threads is still kicking. Thats awesome!  :applaud:

How's the girlfriend?  And your mattress?

Mikezilla

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2017, 06:30:59 pm »

Well Ill be damned! PBJ! And you remembered!  :laugh: Broke with the GF a long time ago, and I just replaced the mattress 3 days ago! How the hell you doing man? What have I missed?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2017, 07:50:54 pm »

Well Ill be damned! PBJ! And you remembered!  Broke with the GF a long time ago, and I just replaced the mattress 3 days ago! How the hell you doing man? What have I missed?
Bro!!!!

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2017, 08:39:32 pm »
Well Ill be damned! PBJ! And you remembered!  :laugh: Broke with the GF a long time ago, and I just replaced the mattress 3 days ago! How the hell you doing man? What have I missed?

Did a hitch for money laundering, moved to Houston for a fresh start.  Same ol.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2017, 05:54:26 am »
The movie is coming out next year, with Speilberg associate producing.  The suck factor is about 45% and it should go direct to DVD.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2017, 10:07:01 am »

The narrative in my head is that you were that guy in the news for outsourcing his own job to China so he could screw around on the internet all day.

Mikezilla

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2017, 12:48:56 pm »

Well Ill be damned! PBJ! And you remembered!  Broke with the GF a long time ago, and I just replaced the mattress 3 days ago! How the hell you doing man? What have I missed?
Bro!!!!
Yotsuya!!! Damn good to see there are a few familiar faces still around.  :cheers:

Mikezilla

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2017, 12:53:25 pm »

The sad thing is, I cant tell if youre being serious or not.  :laugh2:

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2017, 04:14:59 pm »

The sad thing is, I cant tell if youre being serious or not.  :laugh2:
Well he did disappear for a while...
NO MORE!!

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2017, 12:43:14 pm »
I hate this fuckinn book. I hate every stupid 5th grade level of writing and storytelling that sounded like a high schooler came up with.

The book was published in 2010 All his references were just things that came out and were popular beforehand.
Example AVGN put out a video on Sword Quest in 2009. He put in about 3 pages going over AVGNs video; Why because it made any sense at all in his fictional world? No because that is what he saw at the time that was video game related so it should go in the book.

I basically got a quarter of the book where he started going over the VR world. WORD FOR WORD he described the starting zone to World of Warcraft (Which was also the most popular game in 2009) I am sure he was playing the game every day while he was writing his shi$t book. I mean he even put in needing to kill Kobolds;  Kobolds… that is the only game as far as I know which has that creature and at the starting zone;  the guy is too stupid to just say something like weak goblins or something else generic to cover his complete lack of imagination and plagiarism.

Same time he was talking about his WOW world he was talking about everybody needing  their own spaceship to travel around and how gas was so expensive that’s why his generic no personality character could never go any ware in the VR World (besides school and his Wow starting zone)… Did you hear what I said this guy actually thinks gasoline is a thing in a computer generated world…  Not only is Gasoline not a thing but travel time is not a thing, that is just basic gamming 101, nothing to even do with VR.

I can give a lot more examples, like a lot more seeing on how his whole book is just this kind of shi$t. I should just write a whole piece on why Ready Player One is a pile of garbage and why people that think this is the next Lord of the Rings. The psychology on how things like this happen is way more interesting to me.

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2017, 05:47:54 pm »
I think you need to let this one go, bro.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2017, 06:30:21 pm »
I hate this fuckinn book. I hate every stupid 5th grade level of writing and storytelling that sounded like a high schooler came up with.

The book was published in 2010 All his references were just things that came out and were popular beforehand.
Example AVGN put out a video on Sword Quest in 2009. He put in about 3 pages going over AVGNs video; Why because it made any sense at all in his fictional world? No because that is what he saw at the time that was video game related so it should go in the book.

I basically got a quarter of the book where he started going over the VR world. WORD FOR WORD he described the starting zone to World of Warcraft (Which was also the most popular game in 2009) I am sure he was playing the game every day while he was writing his shi$t book. I mean he even put in needing to kill Kobolds;  Kobolds… that is the only game as far as I know which has that creature and at the starting zone;  the guy is too stupid to just say something like weak goblins or something else generic to cover his complete lack of imagination and plagiarism.

Same time he was talking about his WOW world he was talking about everybody needing  their own spaceship to travel around and how gas was so expensive that’s why his generic no personality character could never go any ware in the VR World (besides school and his Wow starting zone)… Did you hear what I said this guy actually thinks gasoline is a thing in a computer generated world…  Not only is Gasoline not a thing but travel time is not a thing, that is just basic gamming 101, nothing to even do with VR.

I can give a lot more examples, like a lot more seeing on how his whole book is just this kind of shi$t. I should just write a whole piece on why Ready Player One is a pile of garbage and why people that think this is the next Lord of the Rings. The psychology on how things like this happen is way more interesting to me.

Um...  Kobolds exist in most fantasy themed games.

Travel time is not a thing?  Fuel doesn't exist?  Totally depends on the game.  Travel time is a thing in EVERY game.  Fuel consumption exists in many games.

Not sure who shoved that cactus up your ass...  might want to get it looked at.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2017, 10:13:21 pm »

Um...  Kobolds exist in most fantasy themed games.

Travel time is not a thing?  Fuel doesn't exist?  Totally depends on the game.  Travel time is a thing in EVERY game.  Fuel consumption exists in many games.

Not sure who shoved that cactus up your ass...  might want to get it looked at.

I'm not a huge fan of the book either,  but OH SNAP Slippy put the smack down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikezilla

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2017, 06:33:49 pm »
I just thought it was a fun book to read while I was bored, Im not saying it was some epic fantasy that was on par with lord of the rings. Cmon. If you go into it thinking like that, youre going to be disappointed. But damn Fallacy you need to relax man, try decaf.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2017, 11:43:04 am »

Waiting for your best seller.. PM me when it is out.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2017, 02:11:43 pm »
^ Waiting for yours too. :lol

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #101 on: June 06, 2017, 02:14:37 pm »
Hey guys, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2017, 02:29:24 pm »
^ Waiting for yours too. :lol
:cheers:

Third book is delayed indefinitely... too much life going on.

And I hit the top 10 a few times, for a few hours at a time anyway, lol.

CCM

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2020, 10:08:27 am
« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2017, 11:06:59 am »
The first trailer came out a few days ago: