Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 25 inch 4x3 monitor  (Read 25865 times)

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: 25 inch 4x3 monitor
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2021, 11:07:02 am »
My dream setup would be a showcase with a large, low-latency OLED at 4k (or higher) and a CPU with the grunt to use shaders to take full advantage of the resolution for good CRT pixel emulation.

Maybe by time I retire, it'll be in a price range where I would actually consider doing it  :laugh:  Till then, a crappy XP computer, a real 27" RGB CRT and a cheap AMD card running CRT-EmuDriver seems to do the job. 

Anyone else amused that a necrobump to a nine year old thread has caused issues?   :dizzy:

Makes perfect sense.  Everything in that time period seemed to have caused some kind of issue with somebody.  >:D

dmckean

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2021, 04:42:56 pm »
My dream setup would be a showcase with a large, low-latency OLED at 4k (or higher) and a CPU with the grunt to use shaders to take full advantage of the resolution for good CRT pixel emulation.

I think we'll see the 48" OLEDs for $900 this fall when all the sales happen. We're probably two years away from those being $500 on sale. And the inexpensive AMD APUs coming out now can run just about any shader you'd want at 4k.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2021, 06:14:19 pm »
I think we'll see the 48" OLEDs for $900 this fall when all the sales happen. We're probably two years away from those being $500 on sale. And the inexpensive AMD APUs coming out now can run just about any shader you'd want at 4k.

Still too high.  There's something a bit perverse about spending thousands on electronics to get closer to the old stuff that costs less in total than the cost of just the new display.  I think we are still a good 5-6 years away from a decent "retro parity" system where the display and cost is concerned.  To be honest, it's probably farther away than that when considering display latency.  The really fast ones will always cost more, at least if current trends are to be used as a basis.