Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 6 in 1 Jamma Switcher  (Read 5635 times)

KCW

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2011, 10:30:17 am
6 in 1 Jamma Switcher
« on: September 15, 2011, 04:11:01 pm »
Hi everyone,

New to the forum here... Just bought my first arcade cabinet a few months ago - a restored Double Dragon in an original Taito cabinet. It works great and look good. I've acquired a few more jamma PCB's and would now like to put them all in a jamma switcher board. The boards I have are:

1. Double Dragon
2. Double Dragon II
3. Crime City
4. Superman
5. Willow
6. Captain America and the Avengers

There is a 6 in one jamma switcher on the website jammaboards.com and I think I'd really like to invest in one. The only problem is, I know that there is an issues with some boards using -5V's. I honestly really don't know much about this, but they do offer the modification on the site. I don't know which of my boards utilize the -5V features (and I don't know what additional boards I'll be getting in the future), but what I was thinking was to just order the modification on all of the slots. Would there be any harm in this? What if I put a non - 5v jamma board in a slots that has the -5v modification (on the jamma switcher). I imagine that this would be ok, since I put all of the boards in my double dragon cabinet without any problems.

Is getting the -5V modification on all 6 slots (on the 6 in 1 jamma switcher) the best way to go? Are there any risks?

Thanks for reading my message! Any information you can provide me with will be most useful.

- KC

PS. Does anyone here have any experience with the 6 in 1 jamma switcher? Do you load the boards directly into the slots or do you use extension cables? I used the cables once with a two in one switcher but one of the cables smoked so I'm hesitant to use them again. Thanks!!!!

runawayabc123

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2019, 09:58:20 am
Re: 6 in 1 Jamma Switcher
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 06:10:10 pm »
Plugging -5v into a board that doesn't use -5v is ok.  The board's contact doesn't go anywhere.   :)

As for the 6in1, some have reported problems with relays burning out on them (5v power line to PCB relay). 

Others have reported them as being ok. 

Not all of the buttons are wired up in the 6in1.  I think the test/service buttons are missing/won't work (among others?)

Good luck.  (I'm rolling my own switcher for a 12in1, but it is expensive and time intensive.) 

runawayabc123

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2019, 09:58:20 am
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 08:22:00 pm »
On the -5v, I do remember reading about someone being concerned about supplying -5v to a board that needs it, but is OFF all a lot of the time. 

The "fix" for the 6in1 is to just hard wire -5v to all slots all of the time. 

Food for thought. 

Bravo911

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 03:14:04 am
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 06:37:13 pm »

Not all of the buttons are wired up in the 6in1.  I think the test/service buttons are missing/won't work (among others?)

Good luck. 

Can anyone provide a list of pins/buttons not supported/missing by the switcher board? I thought it was just a straight 56pin to 56pin (with the exception of the -5v)

I'm having issues with my switcher. Player 1 button 6, and player 2 buttons 5 and 6 dont seem to be working when using the switcher, but seem to work just fine when plugged in directly to the harness... As we know, the jamma harness supports 3 buttons/player by default, but i've added in some extra wires according to several jamma pinout diagrams i've found along the way. The issue is not my wiring. Direct to the harness works great.

P1B4 = Pin 25 (White) - Working
P1B5 = Pin 26 (Red) - Working
P1B6 = Pin 11 (Yellow) - Fail

P2B4 = Pin CC (White) - Working
P2B5 = Pin DD (Red) - Fail
P2B6 = Pin M (Yellow) - Fail

If the switcher does not support these pins, can anyone provide a list of pins supported by the switch?
Can i just 'jump' the pins on the underside of the switcher board as a worst case scenario? What are potential problems?

On a side note to your original question: I use extension cables. They simplify everything, AND, if you need to make any modifications to your panel layout for any particular pcb, you can do it to the extension
rather than the harness. Worked great for me (With this little exception)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 06:41:50 pm by Bravo911 »

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 10:11:21 pm »
Bravo 911 check out video re kick harness connections to boards and 6 in 1 switcher.    As far as I know all jamma switchers will do p1 123 and p2 123 for sure.  buttons connections are not always the same for 456 as some use kick harnesses and others use unused pins on the jamma connector.   You should ask the supplier of your switcher what pins are switched or you can trace the non standard pins and see if they are switched.

Youtube Vid Kick Harnesses and 6 in 1

PS this is an old thread.  I think there is a more up to date thread where KCW had things working.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 10:13:00 pm by BobA »

Bravo911

• Offline Offline
Re: Re: Re: 6 in 1 Jamma Switcher
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 05:20:10 pm »

Good luck. 

Can anyone provide a list of pins/buttons not supported/missing by the switcher board? I thought it was just a straight 56pin to 56pin (with the exception of the -5v)

If the switcher does not support these pins, can anyone provide a list of pins supported by the switch?
Can i just 'jump' the pins on the underside of the switcher board as a worst case scenario? What are potential problems?

I got a reply from Tim Hensel regarding this:

The 6-in-1 MultiJAMMA Switcher PCB basically uses a standard JAMMA Pinout with some extra pins: http://www.jammaboards.com/jcenter_jamma_pinout.html

It does not use these sometimes used JAMMA pins: E -5VDC 5 -5VDC J COIN COUNTER #2 (Rarely used anymore) 8 COIN COUNTER #1 (Rarely used anymore) K LOCK OUT COIL #2 (Rarely used anymore) 9 LOCK OUT COIL #1 (Rarely used anymore) 15 TEST SWITCH

It does not use these pins which standard JAMMA does not use either: M N/C (Not Connected) 11 N/C (Not Connected) S TILT (SLAM) SWITCH

Extra pins it does use that are not standard JAMMA are: c Player 2 Button 4 25 Player 1 Button 4 d Player 2 Button 5 26 Player 2 Button 5

All other pins are normal used and follow the correct JAMMA pinout functions.

You can wire in extra wires for other microswitches/functions similar to how the -5VDC is wired except if wiring to more than 1 slot then you would need to put a diode (such as a 1n4007) between each slot JAMMA pin and the main edge connector of the 6-in-1.

Example If you wanted to connect extra buttons to PINS 11 and M for two slots:

SLOT 1 PIN 11 *------|-------* (Pin 11 of main edge connector)
SLOT 1 PIN M *------|-------* (Pin M of main edge connector)
SLOT 2 PIN 11 *------|-------* (Pin 11 of main edge connector)
SLOT 2 PIN M *------|-------* (Pin M of main edge connector)
***The diode is needed to prevent the other installed PCBs to interfere with the selected board.

I hope this information helps!

Best regards, Tim Hensel JammaBoards.com http://www.jammaboards.com

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 05:59:51 pm »
While I appreciate that Tim took the time to respond and provides more useful details than anybody else has in the past, any appearance of the term "rarely used anymore" in reference to arcade equipment is just damned silly.

::)
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Bravo911

• Offline Offline
Re: Re: 6 in 1 Jamma Switcher
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 03:01:13 pm »
Well, I guess that depends. Arcade machines themselves are becoming rare. But I digress. Lol.

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 03:50:29 pm »
 ;D

The point is that describing JAMMA pins as rarely used anymore, particularly meters (which aren't tied to boards) is kinda silly.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None