Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Unstupid's Bartop Neo-Geo System - The 3 year update...  (Read 145625 times)

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 10:19:10 pm
Re: Bartop Neo-Geo System ***FINISHED*** Video Uploaded
« Reply #160 on: February 28, 2012, 10:45:27 am »
Unstupid, I've recreated your cabinet using Sketchup. I hope you don't mind. Most woodworkers are using this now and of course it is free. I imported all the files from the dwg's you supplied and converted it all over. The measurements are dead on accurate for anyone wanting to reproduce this cabinet exactly. I used Sketchup 7 on this. All you have to do is open it up and explode the panels. I really appreciate you supplying these files.

I agree on the dowel assembly. I tried and couldn't get it lined up exact. I just went ahead and started using Kreg pocket screws.

Thanks again!!

Great, thanks for the sketchup file. Awesome to hear that someone else is making one. Make me one too! LOL!  :angel:

Cable Tech

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 22, 2013, 10:48:30 pm
« Reply #161 on: February 28, 2012, 09:25:01 pm »
Couple things to note, that monitor panel was specific for my monitor and is set to make the monitor flush with the rest of the panel allowing a 1/4" space behind the speaker panel all they way down behind the control panel.  This slot is there for the plexiglass to protect the monitor.  Of course you will have to use a different size hole for whatever monitor you are using.
Yeah I figured that. I just wanted to recreate yours exactly, for the fun of it! Thats why thats the last panel I'll put in. I have to see how all my hardware is gonna fit first.
Also there are spaces where the control panel and back door attaches to the cabinet.  There's are for the piano hinges and will also change depending on what ever hinge you use.
I just put the panels together in the Sketchup model. I knew without the exact dimensions of the hinges, i couldn't place the panels exact. I just had to do some adjusting as I put the hinges on.

Here's some pics so far:

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
« Reply #162 on: February 28, 2012, 10:49:40 pm »
Wow that look great!  those kreig jig joints look pretty tight...  Umm your joystick configuration has too many buttons!  That there be a Neo Geo cab...  You can't put a street fighter button config on a Neo Geo cab!  that's sacreligious!   :D  Oh  one thing I for got to mention... that top panel and speaker panel is 3/4" thick but the Happ Marquee retainer only covers like 1/2" so you'll end up with a funny shadow cast on the marquee glass... you may want to shave down the underside of that front lip about 1/4 inch

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #163 on: February 28, 2012, 10:59:20 pm »
Too many buttons... not red... so confused.  Looking good man, I'm sure it'll come together and we'll all see the light. 

Cable Tech

• Offline Offline
« Reply #164 on: February 28, 2012, 11:38:44 pm »
Oh  one thing I for got to mention... that top panel and speaker panel is 3/4" thick but the Happ Marquee retainer only covers like 1/2" so you'll end up with a funny shadow cast on the marquee glass... you may want to shave down the underside of that front lip about 1/4 inch

I wondered why you did that? That explains all...

Umm your joystick configuration has too many buttons!  That there be a Neo Geo cab...  You can't put a street fighter button config on a Neo Geo cab!  that's sacreligious!

LOL..Well...um....i'm still debating on that.  I'm just building a standard mame cab.  :dunno This will just be a one player cab. I just want to make sure I have enough buttons if I come across a game I like later....I just fell in love with your design the moment I seen it. Sorry if it's not gonna be a Neo Geo cab :cry:  please guys....don't be hatin'...

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #165 on: February 29, 2012, 05:36:01 am »
Oh  one thing I for got to mention... that top panel and speaker panel is 3/4" thick but the Happ Marquee retainer only covers like 1/2" so you'll end up with a funny shadow cast on the marquee glass... you may want to shave down the underside of that front lip about 1/4 inch

I wondered why you did that? That explains all...

Sorry, by your answer I could tell that we are talking about different things.  what I'm talking about shaving down is the wood panels.  You need to cut or plane down the underside of the top and speaker panel because they are thicker than the retainer will cover causing weird shadows.  I attached a picture.  Plane them down like where the green line is.  A dremmel door planer works well for this task.

Ai think what you were talking about was why I trimmed the marquee retainer.  I took off 1/8" of the lower retainer short lip where it contacts the marquee because the lower retainer is oriented at an angle it would stick out further than the top one if I didn't trim it.  There are soooo many small details like that that I keep forgetting to mention...

Cable Tech

• Offline Offline
« Reply #166 on: February 29, 2012, 05:46:31 pm »
Yeah I was talking about the angles on the edge panels, not the retainers. I didn't include those angles in my drawing. I assumed it had something to do with how the marquee fit, but haven't got that far yet!

As you can see by the pics I started to use plywood and then added some mdf melamine panels (just had laying around).  I was originally just gonna formica the whole thing but then I read about you using that Emerytex laminated vinyl. Unfortunately my local guys I use for printing don't have anything like that. Just like luck I usually get going good on a project and then I run into lots of little details that slow me down.  I have a feeling this is gonna be a long process... :banghead:

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #167 on: March 05, 2012, 05:07:05 am »
Did you make any progress this weekend?

Cable Tech

• Offline Offline
« Reply #168 on: March 05, 2012, 07:29:51 pm »
Actually I did! It's moving slowly but surely...

I mounted the control panel and rounded it over. I also finished the marquee. As you can see from the pics I just used aluminum angle for the holders. it's cheaper than the plastic holder stuff and readily available. I will either paint it black or wrap it in vinyl when I do the rest of the cab.

I also fabricated a test control panel with the exact dimensions of the real one. I am just testing out how it's all gonna feel before I make my final holes. I'm still debating on the button placement. Does that joystick look familiar? Also my ipac2 works perfectly and is programmed and ready to go. I'm going wrap it all in vinyl once I get it from my supplier. I might as well wait and do that before I install everything..

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:32:44 pm by Cable Tech »

BurgerKingDiamond

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2021, 11:12:14 am
« Reply #169 on: April 10, 2012, 02:39:37 pm »
Really nice project dude, but why on Earth did you spend so much on your monitor? You could have got like 4 or 5 for that price...

Hey, where did you get your red laminate from and what color is it? I looked at one website that had like 12 shades of red and I'm having trouble picking. Yours looks like a good match.
-Welcome to the Fantasy Zone.

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #170 on: April 10, 2012, 04:23:15 pm »
I wanted a monitor that would be easy to mount so I bought an industrial monitor that included the bezel and basically built the cabinet around the monitor.

The NeoGeo red everyone uses is Behr Grenadine.  You can get a swatch at Home Depot.  I mailes a swatch to John at Basement arcade graphics and asked him if he could color match it for my artwork.  He did a great job!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 04:33:33 pm by Unstupid »

BurgerKingDiamond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2021, 11:12:14 am
« Reply #171 on: April 10, 2012, 04:58:22 pm »
Thanks dude. Grenadine was actually one of the colors I was considering. So I guess I'll go with that.
-Welcome to the Fantasy Zone.

Cable Tech

• Offline Offline
« Reply #172 on: May 02, 2012, 11:15:29 pm »
I mailes a swatch to John at Basement arcade graphics and asked him if he could color match it for my artwork.  He did a great job!

I emailed John and got no reply. I heard on the forum that he pulled out and isn't printing anymore. Do you have another source for this?

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #173 on: May 02, 2012, 11:23:13 pm »
I mailes a swatch to John at Basement arcade graphics and asked him if he could color match it for my artwork.  He did a great job!

I emailed John and got no reply. I heard on the forum that he pulled out and isn't printing anymore. Do you have another source for this?

I do not... infact I'm trying to find someone to print some overlays for the control panels for my cocktail cab.  I removed his name/link from the youtube video.  If you find someone else to print it for you and need the artwork I can post the files...  let me know.

TaylorBalbi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2012, 09:07:42 pm
« Reply #174 on: May 30, 2012, 08:14:24 pm »
Beautiful end-product Unstupid. Do you think you'd be able to answer some questions for me. I recently dug up a Neo Geo MV-1C myself and decided to do a bartop.

I currently have almost everything I need, but I'm stuck at the wiring. I have a Happ Power Pro Power Switch and an EFI Switch as well as a JAMMA harness. Any chance you could walk me through how you wired your system up to power? I'd like to test my setup before building the enclosure (want to test a few monitors first).

What I have:
Neo Geo MV-1C
161-in-1 Catridge
1 Joystick
6 Button (red, yellow, green, blue, white[player 1 start], coin button)
JAMMA Harness
CGAtoVGA converter (same one you have)
Happ Power Switch (Looks to be the same as yours)

This is my first time doing anything involving hooking up power that didn't include a molex connector and I'd rather not mess it up :)

You can e-mail me at taylor@bioware.com

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #175 on: May 30, 2012, 08:24:30 pm »
Beautiful end-product Unstupid. Do you think you'd be able to answer some questions for me. I recently dug up a Neo Geo MV-1C myself and decided to do a bartop.

I currently have almost everything I need, but I'm stuck at the wiring. I have a Happ Power Pro Power Switch and an EFI Switch as well as a JAMMA harness. Any chance you could walk me through how you wired your system up to power? I'd like to test my setup before building the enclosure (want to test a few monitors first).

What I have:
Neo Geo MV-1C
161-in-1 Catridge
1 Joystick
JAMMA Harness

This is my first time doing anything involving hooking up power that didn't include a molex connector and I'd rather not mess it up :)

It's pretty straight forward... The jamma harness should have 3(or 4) wires coming off fd it that are a little thicker than the rest... those go to the power supply.  Red goes to the +5v, Yellow to the +12v, and Black to the Ground.  If there is a blue one it usually goes to the -5v but that's not needed with the MV-1C so you can leave it disconnected.  As far as power into the power supply you should have 3 wires coming from the cord you plug into the wall.  2 are AC and 1 is Field Ground (FG).  Those plug into the power supply where it is labeled.  You'll probably want to put some type of switch in line on the AC so that you can power it off when not in use....

TaylorBalbi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2012, 09:07:42 pm
« Reply #176 on: May 30, 2012, 08:53:47 pm »

What I have:
Neo Geo MV-1C
161-in-1 Catridge
1 Joystick
JAMMA Harness

It's pretty straight forward... The jamma harness should have 3(or 4) wires coming off fd it that are a little thicker than the rest... those go to the power supply.  Red goes to the +5v, Yellow to the +12v, and Black to the Ground.  If there is a blue one it usually goes to the -5v but that's not needed with the MV-1C so you can leave it disconnected.  As far as power into the power supply you should have 3 wires coming from the cord you plug into the wall.  2 are AC and 1 is Field Ground (FG).  Those plug into the power supply where it is labeled.  You'll probably want to put some type of switch in line on the AC so that you can power it off when not in use....

Great thanks! This will help me with my anxiety of hooking it up wrong :) I'll start a new thread for the project once I have it testable.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #177 on: May 31, 2012, 08:22:53 am »
Great job Unstupid!!
I like the ability to connect the two together for player 2.
Good video too, however I cringed every time you moved the machine. (Scraping nails on a chalkboard never bothered me, but the sound of the foot pads rubbing that glass table... ouch!) LOL.
Outstanding work man, both machines turned out looking great and very professional.
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #178 on: June 01, 2012, 04:00:25 pm »
Great job Unstupid!!
I like the ability to connect the two together for player 2.
Good video too, however I cringed every time you moved the machine. (Scraping nails on a chalkboard never bothered me, but the sound of the foot pads rubbing that glass table... ouch!) LOL.
Outstanding work man, both machines turned out looking great and very professional.
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Thanks Old Man!  Sorry about the audio torture!

soontobeawesome

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 27, 2012, 12:57:35 am
« Reply #179 on: June 23, 2012, 01:42:23 am »
Can you please make more and sell them? How much would you sell one for?

mike boss

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
« Reply #180 on: June 25, 2012, 07:04:09 am »
WOW ! AMAZING !

They look great, can't say enuff good things.
Simply awesome.

This site inspires me and makes me want to expand my collection !

Awesome stuff

bytestorm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2020, 09:09:49 am
  • Arcade collector from sweden!
« Reply #181 on: November 11, 2012, 06:03:03 am »
Hi! I am mighty impressed by your work! Hands down the best neo geo bartop i have ever seen! I could not pm you for some reason, but could you please send the artwork files used for the cab? CP, marqee, sideart etc.. and also what type of material it is printed on and where you got it done? I would be so happy if you could help me so i can start building one of my own as soon as possible!! Best Regards from sweden / Stefan

nordkvist.stefan@gmail.com

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #182 on: November 11, 2012, 01:20:03 pm »
Hi! I am mighty impressed by your work! Hands down the best neo geo bartop i have ever seen! I could not pm you for some reason, but could you please send the artwork files used for the cab? CP, marqee, sideart etc.. and also what type of material it is printed on and where you got it done? I would be so happy if you could help me so i can start building one of my own as soon as possible!! Best Regards from sweden / Stefan

Thanks,  the artwork was printed by basement arcade grafx but I think that the guy running it has closed up shop.  The sideart and CP were printed with an emerytex laminate overlay but I'm sure others have something similar... Check with game on graphics....  I'll try and get you the artwork files.  My old laptop took a dump so ill see if I had them backed up somewhere...

bytestorm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #183 on: November 11, 2012, 03:01:13 pm »

Thanks,  the artwork was printed by basement arcade grafx but I think that the guy running it has closed up shop.  The sideart and CP were printed with an emerytex laminate overlay but I'm sure others have something similar... Check with game on graphics....  I'll try and get you the artwork files.  My old laptop took a dump so ill see if I had them backed up somewhere...

Thank for the info! hmm too bad about the laptop.. I thought I read in some post that someone else also wanted the artwork.. maybe I could try there too.. But please see if you can find it.
I will try and locate any place who could process the parts for me... Otherwise I guess the good ol saw will have to do ;(

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 04:47:42 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #184 on: November 11, 2012, 06:21:51 pm »
Thanks,  the artwork was printed by basement arcade grafx but I think that the guy running it has closed up shop.

They did shut down :angry:, but Firebat138, the graphic artist who used to work wih him, is still on the forums and mght be able to dig up the files.

Scott

Cable Tech

• Offline Offline
« Reply #185 on: November 11, 2012, 07:15:48 pm »
Hey Unstupid,

Long time talkin to ya!. Here is a pic of my Bartop cabinet using your design!! I hope you like it.

I've got to get a monitor mounted and install the computer but other than that i'm almost finished. Thanks again for all your help on my build.

bytestorm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #186 on: November 12, 2012, 12:00:59 am »
Thanks,  the artwork was printed by basement arcade grafx but I think that the guy running it has closed up shop.

They did shut down :angry:, but Firebat138, the graphic artist who used to work wih him, is still on the forums and mght be able to dig up the files.

Scott

Thanks!! I sent him a pm.. lets hope for the best :)

bytestorm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #187 on: November 12, 2012, 12:28:09 am »
BTW, Unstupid, whats the thickness of the laminated MDF you are using? I thought I could start buying the parts for now atleast :)

Thanks!

By the way.. the more I watch this thread, the more I realize I will need 2 units... hahaha

BUT... and thats a quite big BUT... I reallyreallyreally want to try and put "shortneck" 14" crt inside.. I wonder if thats possible.....

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #188 on: November 12, 2012, 12:37:34 am »
I used 3/4" laminated combicore... Also I did the artwork myself and never sent it to firebat138.  I haven't really looked for the artwork yea.. Just jot home from golfing.

bytestorm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #189 on: November 12, 2012, 01:28:20 am »
I used 3/4" laminated combicore... Also I did the artwork myself and never sent it to firebat138.  I haven't really looked for the artwork yea.. Just jot home from golfing.

Oh :)
I really hope you have a backup of this masterpiece artwork :)

thanks in advance for looking m8! :notworthy:

best regards Stefan

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #190 on: November 12, 2012, 02:11:08 am »
I found it... There really is not that much to it.... Just the regular snk logos and stripy things...  I converted to jpg from psd so it would be easier to download.... It's really high res so its still pretty big... 4gb something... Download it here:  http://www.unstupid.com/myimages/neogeoartwork.zip

bytestorm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #191 on: November 12, 2012, 02:53:37 am »
I found it... There really is not that much to it.... Just the regular snk logos and stripy things...  I converted to jpg from psd so it would be easier to download.... It's really high res so its still pretty big... 4gb something... Download it here:  http://www.unstupid.com/myimages/neogeoartwork.zip

Thank you!!!

This is going to be so awesome!
Just found a source for black laminated MDF 3/4" also!
The hardest part will be to find a company willing to mill me some units...

Also, Behr Grenadine... could not find any type in sweden matching, but the colourcode in the jpeg should do??

Worst case, I will buy tools and do my best by hand... but the fancy speaker grills will probably have to go then.. :( and the perfectionist I am
that would be really sad..

WOW 4gb??? But these high quality JPEG´s should be enough to send the printing company i think.
Thou I wonder how big they would be if RARéd at max?

Thanks once again for all help!!

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
Bartop Neo-Geo System ***FINISHED*** Video Uploaded
« Reply #192 on: November 13, 2012, 01:33:36 am »
I found some great speakers and grills that would be perfect for the cab.  Google Visaton FRS8.  When i was building the cab i couldnt find small (>4") speaker grills, which is why i had to cut the grills into the speaker panel.  If I had to do it all again I'd use the FRS8 speakers and corresponding grills.  Also that red in the jpg files is not close to the actual red.... You should really visit your local paint store and grab a bunch of swatches and take em to an actual machine and match em up as much as possible.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 01:36:08 am by Unstupid »

bytestorm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #193 on: November 13, 2012, 01:48:29 am »
I found some great speakers and grills that would be perfect for the cab.  Google Visaton FRS8.  When i was building the cab i couldnt find small (>4") speaker grills, which is why i had to cut the grills into the speaker panel.  If I had to do it all again I'd use the FRS8 speakers and corresponding grills.  Also that red in the jpg files is not close to the actual red.... You should really visit your local paint store and grab a bunch of swatches and take em to an actual machine and match em up as much as possible.

Nice! I just found the speakers here in sweden! They are really cheap also :) should i buy 4 or 8 ohms?
About the red color... I dont have any machine to match it with.. :( So a comparison will be difficult.

Havent actually seen a regular mvs cab here in sweden at all... only electrocoins and candys. hmm...
Maybe someone has the correct colourcode here on the forums?

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #194 on: November 14, 2012, 05:20:53 pm »
depend on the amp you are using.... If you are going with real Neo hardware then use 8ohm....  check out the forum at neo-geo.com i think I seen the paint codes listed there in the past.... not sure how accurate they are or if they are paint type/retailer specific.

Cable Tech

• Offline Offline
« Reply #195 on: December 18, 2012, 08:53:34 pm »
If I had to do it all again I'd use the FRS8 speakers and corresponding grills.

Hey Unstupid thanks for the tip!  I order from Parts Express all the time. I just ordered the speakers and grills. Will take pics when I get them installed.

bytestorm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #196 on: December 20, 2012, 12:04:51 pm »
depend on the amp you are using.... If you are going with real Neo hardware then use 8ohm....  check out the forum at neo-geo.com i think I seen the paint codes listed there in the past.... not sure how accurate they are or if they are paint type/retailer specific.

Hmm I am going to use a 14" crt in my bartop. Is there any good way to shield these speakers? I thought I d buy a couple of them this weekend, but I am worried that they will distort my crt in such a small space bartop? Any thoughts?

ric_rock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2014, 02:34:18 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #197 on: November 02, 2013, 08:08:00 am »
Hi,

I would like to thanks Unstupid (excellent job) for the project, and show my version (parcial results) of a Bartop NeoGeo:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,114435.0.html

I edited the project to use 2 players. Basically, I expand the size to have 20´´ (instead 16 of the original) using the SketchUp and the monitor has 19´´ in format 5x4.

I hope you enjoy.

Excuse my poor english, I´m writing from Brazil.

Ricardo

ric_rock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2014, 02:34:18 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #198 on: November 03, 2013, 12:04:40 pm »

CthulhuLuke

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 06:42:43 pm
  • old school
    • CthulhuLuke's Arcade Parodius