Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Unstupid's Bartop Neo-Geo System - The 3 year update...  (Read 145793 times)

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
Unstupid's Bartop Neo-Geo System - The 3 year update...
« on: September 11, 2011, 08:55:57 am »
Well, 3 months after I started I am finally finished...    Here is the video I promised you 2 days ago...  I hope you find it interesting.  Hit me up with any questions!

Also... I made the DWG files are available near the end of page 4
Original first post:

Well I have officially started my first mame cabinet.  Well not the construction part yet...  I'm still in the design phase.  I have pretty much nailed down the design, now I just have to figure out how to make everything fit.  The big stuff is already on the way, like the monitor and computer.  I'll lay it out below and show ya what I got, and what I need.  I'm not looking to do this on the cheap.  I want something that looks like it came straight from SNK's factory (even though they never make any bartops, did they?)!  I have access to some of the best tools for making stuff like this, so turning out a product that doesn't look "homemade" should be possible.  This will be a wild ride and you'll definitely want to follow along!  Besides I'll need you guys to answer some of my stupid questions along the way.  Here we go...

So this is the design I came up with so far.  I tried to stay true to the full size arcade cab as much as possible.  The marquee on the original MVS was way too big vertically so I chopped it down to make it more compact.  also this box is not as deep as a real cab only because it doesn't have to be because I'll be using an LCD monitor.  I did retain most of the angles from a MVS cab so I think it still looks like a real machine without the legs...  As it stands right now it is 16.8" wide, 17.9" deep and 22.1" tall.  Here is a quick rendering:

Here is the control panel.  It's pretty close to the real layout.  I did move the joystick a little higher.  Originally it was in line with the "A" button.  Mine is just between the "A" and "B" button.  I did go for the inline "B" "C" "D" buttons because that is what I grew up playing on rather than the newer layout where they are all in a smooth arc.  Is this enough buttons to run the machine sans keyboard?  Or do I need another one to exit back to the menu?

Anyways I'll post some more pics as things happen...  Here is where I stand on the equipment/hardware:

What I have or have already purchased:
-Monitor ($522)- Industrial Samsung LCD monitor here: http://www.rackmountmart.com/rmLCD/ID-15A.htm - Only because it should be easy to mount.
-T-Molding ($114)- Yup I got Happ-Slapped!  Ordered 75' of 3/4" T -molding for $35 for which they charged me $77 to ship.  ::) I don't mind spending money, buy if you are gust going to rip me off I'll take my business elsewhere. And that is why I need suggestions on places to buy the rest of the stuff I don't have:
-NeoGeo MV1C - PCB
-Jamma CGA2VGA board
-110w power supply
-Happ Competition Joystick and buttons.
-Lit coin button
-Speakers
-Marquee retainer
-Case locks and latches
-Marine grade plywood
-2 15" cold cathode tubes

What I still need:
-Lexan or Plexiglass or real glass

I'm sure I'm missing other things... Fell free to remind me!

That's it for now...  Sleepy time!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 08:54:20 pm by Unstupid »

vcoleiro1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2018, 09:24:38 am
Re: My Bartop Neo-Geo cab, this is going to be a long process!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 09:45:48 am »
Looks like a really good design.  The only thing I would change is the coin button. I know HAPP (I know you dont want to hear that) have them, like the coin reject button, or if you had an Aussie cab it would be something like http://www.ozstick.com.au/prod_coinmechs.html  .  Anyway they are around, food for thought.

jimmy2x2x

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2018, 01:29:48 am
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 10:12:56 am »
Nice design, fully agree with the coin button suggestion.

Are you including USB port(s) to allow for a 2nd player?

What package did you use to do the render in, it looks great

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 10:38:37 am »
Always glad to see another Neo-Geo project.

About the marquee, I don't know what you mean by too tall. The one you have in your rendering seems to be much taller than the aspect ratio of the original would otherwise be. What I would do is use this one with the white "MVS" mini-marquee already in place.

As vcoleiro1 and jimmy2x2x said, a "coin button" would look better. There's a few places that sell those, I just don't have any links for them. They're basically just rectangular buttons with a custom label in them.

It would be nice if you could put a headphone connector on the same panel as the coin button,  like a real Neo-Geo cabinet. Maybe make a custom front label which could be a mix from the real memory card/headphones and "left player" arrow for the coin button.

As for your Player Start and Select Game buttons, how will they be used? You mention a computer, so I'm assuming you'll be using emulation and not a real MVS board with carts. I know those are the real names of the buttons on a MVS cabinet, but for an emulated system, how does Player Start differ from Select Game?

One small detail about your Player Start and Select Game labels. On a real control panel, the "flat" side comes from the fact that the text is aligned with the 7-segments credit display but if you look at the whole white line side-to-side, the right end of is rounded too.

As for your parts list, I think you could have saved a lot of money on the monitor since almost all modern LCDs have VESA mounting holes on the back, which makes mounting in an arcade cabinet quite easy. Since a lot of people are replacing their 4:3/5:4 LCDs with 16:9/16:10 ones, finding a used one in excellent shape would probably not have been difficult.

All in all, an excellent start. The shape and colors scream "MVS", there's no question about it.

Martijn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 10:34:36 am
  • Akira!
    • ModMyBox
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 11:52:15 am »
Nice design, i like it. Isnt the pc a bit overkill? or expensive? 1135 us dollar !?!

I guess you want to play more then just the neogeo titles.

I would go laminate instead of paint to get a easy factory finish. But if you cant paint like Ond then no problem  :)

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 12:37:14 pm »
75 feet of t-molding for a bartop? Why so much?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 01:47:38 pm »
I have had good luck with sourcing parts from Groovy Game Gear (joysticks, coin buttons, pushbuttons) as well as Twisted Quarter (misc.). I would check those places first for everything.
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 04:27:25 pm »
Have had good buying experiences from both of these suppliers in Buy and Sell

Divemaster 127
Arcade Emulator

Armi0024
Paradise Arcade Shop

GGG and Ultimarc are also great :D

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 05:16:19 pm »
that render is sexy. makes me wanna build a one like that even though I dont particularly care about SNK anything lol.. ???

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 08:50:03 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone...  Especially the suggestion to use the square credit button.  I didn't know they even existed.  I will definitely be using that on the front of the panel.  Also thanks for the recommendations on vendors...  Will definitely check them out... As far as the other questions:

Nice design, fully agree with the coin button suggestion.
Are you including USB port(s) to allow for a 2nd player?
;) Thats a surprise!

What package did you use to do the render in, it looks great
I used Rhino to lay out everything and Photoshop to work the artwork for the maps.

About the marquee, I don't know what you mean by too tall. The one you have in your rendering seems to be much taller than the aspect ratio of the original would otherwise be. What I would do is use this one with the white "MVS" mini-marquee already in place.
The original MVS cabs had a very tall marquee like this one: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3051/3026376282_75308cd028.jpg that is the only one I could find lines for and it didn't scale down to bar top size very well. 

It would be nice if you could put a headphone connector on the same panel as the coin button,  like a real Neo-Geo cabinet. Maybe make a custom front label which could be a mix from the real memory card/headphones and "left player" arrow for the coin button.
I'd like to do the headphone... just gotta figure out how to do the disconnect so that when you plug in the headphones the speakers turn off.

for your Player Start and Select Game buttons, how will they be used? You mention a computer, so I'm assuming you'll be using emulation and not a real MVS board with carts. I know those are the real names of the buttons on a MVS cabinet, but for an emulated system, how does Player Start differ from Select Game?

One small detail about your Player Start and Select Game labels. On a real control panel, the "flat" side comes from the fact that the text is aligned with the 7-segments credit display but if you look at the whole white line side-to-side, the right end of is rounded too.
Not final on which buttons I need and how it will work.  I may change the select button back to a pause or exit button if they are not needed in-game.  Yea I know the ends are rounded I my just round the ends of the labels as well to see how it looks with text.

As for your parts list, I think you could have saved a lot of money on the monitor since almost all modern LCDs have VESA mounting holes on the back, which makes mounting in an arcade cabinet quite easy. Since a lot of people are replacing their 4:3/5:4 LCDs with 16:9/16:10 ones, finding a used one in excellent shape would probably not have been difficult.
It wasn't really about the mount It's more about the bezel.  I don't want to have to mask and spray the glass if I need to change it.  hoping the bezel under glass looks more polished.

All in all, an excellent start. The shape and colors scream "MVS", there's no question about it.
Thanks! that's what I'm going for.  ;D

Nice design, i like it. Isnt the pc a bit overkill? or expensive? 1135 us dollar !?!
I guess you want to play more then just the neogeo titles.
The Ultra Small Form Factor should fit nicely in the cab.  Not sure mow much computer is too much.  Last time I had a make box running 10 years ago we couldn't fully run all the neo-geo titles because of computer limitations.

I would go laminate instead of paint to get a easy factory finish. But if you cant paint like Ond then no problem  :)
I would if I could find some pre laminated black plywood here in Hawaii.  Don't really feel like buying laminate and gluing it on myself.

75 feet of t-molding for a bartop? Why so much?
Well they only sell in 25' minimums and I wasn't sure exactly on what I was going to build so I got Black, Yellow and Blue

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 01:36:48 am »
Here's photos of all the http://different models of MVS cabinets released in the USA (and Canada). The tall marquees were only found on the 4-slot and 6-slot models.

You could use the same style of marquee as the MVS-1-25, which you can get from EMDK. I see in the description that you can order a custom size. What's the width of your marquee?

The description says 26 x 8 inches, so that means an aspect ratio of 3.25:1. Assuming your width of 16.8 inches minus twice the 3/4" T -molding which should equal your side panels, we end up with 15.3 inches for the marquee width and 4.71 inches for its height.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:41:23 am by Yvan256 »

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 04:41:24 am »
yea space for the marquee is 15.35" wide but the vertical measurement is a little tricky because I'm not sure how much of the marquee the retainer that Happ sells will cover the marquee... does it overhang 1/2?" 3/4"?  I can't find drawings anywhere.  Here is what it looks like from the side:

This will probably bring a whole new slew of questions so let me explain whats going on first.  You will see in the drawing that there are 2 hinges.  those will be piano hinges and one will be flush mounted under the control panel.  this will allow the CP to swing forward to allow access to the buttons as well as the glass covering the display.  the glass covering the display will be secured up behind the marquee as well as below the monitor.  The computer will be mounted vertically on the back door.  I'll be pulling air in with a 120mm fan at the top and exhausting it out 1 (or 2?) 80mm fans at the bottom.  I know hot air likes to go up, but the computer needs to mount with the back near the hinges.  As long as I can get enough air flowing through there it should be ok!  Also you may notice a lack of bracing.  I'm going to be constructing this with dowels can cam bolts.  The only bracing I'll have will be under the CP since there will be no way to dowel it.  Questions?  hahah!

ETA... Oh yea you notice the dimensions on the drawing look off.  that's because I'm using .72 for the thickness of the 3/4 plywood
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 04:45:21 am by Unstupid »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:12:09 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 04:30:54 pm »
This is looking fantastic. I would use button combinations to exit to your frontend to keep it looking like a real coin-operated machine and not a MAME machine with "button rash".  :cheers:

For the headphone, you can get a small 2.1 system with a wired remote for volume as those often has built in phono jack that kills the speakers when connected. MVS games often have really great sound, so please make your system an awesome one.

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 11:50:09 pm »
Ok... Change of plans today...  I decided that since this machine will be a dedicated Neo-Geo cab that there is no need for a $1,000 computer to run it... Instead I'm going "pro gear spec" (their words  :D).  I purchased a used (do what ya gotta do) MV1C board that should fit nicely behind the monitor.  I also ordered a jamma CGA to VGA converter board, as well as some 2" speakers (not sure I'm gonna use em... still looking for 3.5"s), Also ordered the joysticks (4 actually... Happ Competitions as well as a couple of others.  They havee the polished shaft a-la the real neogeo machines.  Oh yeah I also picked up some square illuminated buttons... gonna have to make the "press for credit" button myself since I can't find em anywhere.  What else did I get today.. Oh yea also grabbed a jamma harness because then I'll only need to make up pins on 1 side of the cable.  Also grabbed the power supply which should work to power the MV1C board, video converter as well as the monitor. so no need for power.

Also the monitor arrived today.  It is very nice!  feels very rugged.  There is a little more bevel on the corners than I expected but I was going to recess it into the plywood anyway... looks like we are almost ready for the construction phase!    ;D

Oh yea I forgot to mention... in exchange to the ease of going with the MV1C I'm going to have to give up a couple of things... mainly stereo sound and headphone jacks.  The MV1C doesn't output either.  There may be ways to hack it out but I can't find it on the forum over at neo-geo.com...   :dunno  

On another related note.... anyone have any good ideas of what I can do with a Dell Optiplex 990 Ultra Small Form Factor, Core I5 2500S, 8gb ram and Win 7 64bit?  It should be here the end of next week!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:41:51 pm by Unstupid »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 12:36:29 am »
Very cool that you're going JAMMA and with the real deal. I would add an SLG3000 to the mix:
http://wp1114205.wp150.webpack.hosteurope.de/xtcmodified/index.php?cPath=3&XTCsid=phm1ubdatbts1673qt1b9vd094 to get scanlines on your LCD screen.

On another related note.... anyone have any good ideas of what I can do with a Dell Optiplex 990 Ultra Small Form Factor, Core I5 2500S, 8gb ram and Win 7 64bit?  It should be here the end of next week!

As the cab will be JAMMA, you could still make a small MAME computer for everything else and add PC games to it. Then make sure that the MVS motherboard can be removed with ease and this computer can be put inside the bartop instead when you want to mix it up.  :cheers:

BurgerKingDiamond

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2021, 11:12:14 am
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 08:19:06 pm »
I second Emphatic. Going with the real MVS hardware is awesome. :applaud: :applaud:
-Welcome to the Fantasy Zone.

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 11:02:27 pm »
Here, I found this website: http://benheck.com/downloads

See "Neo Geo MV-1C Stereo Audio Mod", there's two high resolution photos. I'm sure Ben can help you if you need help, including adding a headphone jack to the whole thing.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 11:11:59 pm »
Check your viewing angle. I've built a few bartops and now I always try to mount my monitors as close to the marquee as possible (little to no overhang). In my signature I list several of the bartops. My first one was the multi-williams design and it was very playable, but you had to view the cabinet almost straight on. I fixed the design error in the following bartops.

Good luck with your build, I'll be watching.

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 10:00:17 am
  • John 3:16
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 10:37:42 am »
Check your viewing angle. I've built a few bartops and now I always try to mount my monitors as close to the marquee as possible (little to no overhang). In my signature I list several of the bartops. My first one was the multi-williams design and it was very playable, but you had to view the cabinet almost straight on. I fixed the design error in the following bartops.

Good luck with your build, I'll be watching.

+1
I also learned this lesson the hard way.  :-[

This is a nice looking design. I'll be following it.

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 07:48:24 pm »
Thanks for the tip... I'll doulbe check the angles tonight!  On another note..... Does anyone have any recommendations on where to get the artwork for the side, control panel and marquee?  Who have you used?

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 07:55:40 pm »
Thanks for the tip... I'll doulbe check the angles tonight! 

By angles, I mean to imagine the bartop where it will be sitting and stand in front of it. See if the marquee obstructs the view of the screen. Good luck.

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 08:01:23 pm »
Thanks for the tip... I'll doulbe check the angles tonight! 

By angles, I mean to imagine the bartop where it will be sitting and stand in front of it. See if the marquee obstructs the view of the screen. Good luck.

I know exactly what you mean.  Thanks!

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 09:07:50 pm »
I should be ok. with arms down at the shoulder and straight out at 90deg.  I'm actually arther play with my arms a little further forward which would set me back a little further from the screen.  I don't plan to play standing up.  But if it was elevated on a bar top with 5' to the top of the control panel you'd have to be pretty tall to not be able to see.

Pictures is a 6' person.  the top of the screen is 1 5/8" from the bottom of the speaker panel.

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2011, 06:06:16 am »

You know when I first read your post I just thought you were a NeoGeo fan... I didn't realize you were currently in the process of building your own mini NeoGeo cab!  I just read through your entire project thread!  What you are doing with the 7 segment credit counter and the LCD marquee is awesome!  I'm definitely going to follow your build because I want to see how that turns out!  I noticed that you have a working coin slot.  Mind if I ask what kind of coin slot you are using?  I can't find a working one that fits my design and my cab is twice the size of yours!

BTW I though my build was going to be a "long process" because I'm expecting it to take a couple of monts.... You are going on a couple of years!  That is hardcore!   :notworthy:

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2011, 10:14:31 am »

You know when I first read your post I just thought you were a NeoGeo fan... I didn't realize you were currently in the process of building your own mini NeoGeo cab!  I just read through your entire project thread!  What you are doing with the 7 segment credit counter and the LCD marquee is awesome!  I'm definitely going to follow your build because I want to see how that turns out!  I noticed that you have a working coin slot.  Mind if I ask what kind of coin slot you are using?  I can't find a working one that fits my design and my cab is twice the size of yours!

BTW I though my build was going to be a "long process" because I'm expecting it to take a couple of monts.... You are going on a couple of years!  That is hardcore!   :notworthy:

See my reply on the MVS-99-6 thread, I don't want to hijack your own cabinet's thread.

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, 10:57:20 pm »
So I recieved a package today (not gonna say who from) and inside was a small box that contained 2 joysticks that I ordered... Now I'm pretty sure this box was not meant to hold 2 joysticks because everything was really crammed in there.  Now, because it was so poorly packed one of the joysticks spent 4000 miles rubbing up against one of the metal connectors on the microswitches so much so that it bent the connector:

Easy fix, I can just bend it back, but the bat top got all scratched up and for that there is no easy fix:

I know it's only an $8 item, but would you be cool with that?  What would you do?  :dunno

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 03:45:03 pm
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2011, 12:37:57 am »
i know it's only an $8 item, but would you be cool with that?  What would you do?  :dunno

First thing would be to contact the seller and see what they have to say about it.  But no,  I would not be cool with that.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 08:43:40 am »
Not cool...

I have a couple extra handles for supers (I think). Let me know if you want them and I'll take a look. I replace my super tops with ball tops so I had a few extra. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 08:57:49 am »
(not gonna say who from)
You should.

I know it's only an $8 item, but would you be cool with that?  What would you do?  :dunno
Ask them to replace it and foot the bill for shipping.
If they won't, then they don't deserve any of our business.

Nephasth

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 09:12:19 am »
(not gonna say who from)
You should.

+1
Ask them to replace it and foot the bill for shipping.
If they won't, then they don't deserve any of our business.

Shouldn't even have to ask for a replacement. If you let them know it got damaged, they should freely offer a replacement. If you have to insist a replacement, there is something fundamentally wrong with the seller.

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 10:00:17 am
  • John 3:16
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2011, 09:22:09 am »
It's great that you took those photos. I must agree with everyone else. If it was packaged properly that damage to the stick would not have happened. They should freely offer a replacement and pay for shipping. Let us know how it turns out.

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2011, 12:14:34 pm »
Not cool...

I have a couple extra handles for supers (I think). Let me know if you want them and I'll take a look. I replace my super tops with ball tops so I had a few extra. 

Well I also have some comps coming from Happ as well as other sources so I'm ok,  Thanks for the offer though!

As far as saying what company I bought these from, I'm going to give them a chance to fix the situation before I slander them.  ;)

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2011, 04:30:25 pm »
I also agree that a free replacement should be sent to you, including shipping.

Good call on going with a black bat top for a Neo-Geo cabinet, BTW.  ;)

Nephasth

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2011, 09:58:24 pm »
As far as saying what company I bought these from, I'm going to give them a chance to fix the situation before I slander them.  ;)

Saying you got a damaged part from a supplier due to poor packing isn't slander. Telling us will help us determine the track record of sellers. Although PBJ comes off assholish, he has made several intelligent and common sensical statements (and I must say I've been finding myself agreeing with him lately); one of them being that a supplier shouldn't ship bad/defective parts to begin with, even if they do replace them for free.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2011, 10:47:15 pm »

Saying you got a damaged part from a supplier due to poor packing isn't slander. Telling us will help us determine the track record of sellers.

Agreed. I got a (not nearly as damaged but still scratched) stick from TwistedQuarter a while back, should have returned it but tried to fix it myself and just made it much worse, then spent even more on a new balltop from GGG. I hope the supplier makes it right for you.
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2011, 04:37:52 am »
Jammaboards.com was who I purchased the joystick from.  They did make it right and shipped me a new bat top.  I haven't received it yet, but it's on the way.  Funny thing was I wasn't planning on using the joysticks I ordered from them anyways.  I already ordered some Happ Competition joysticks from other sources (Happ, Arcade Emulator).  I just wanted to see what these metal shafts looked like. 

On a related note I have been ordering a lot of equipment from a lot of different people and I have found that there are many bad vendors out there.  I don't know if it is because they are doing this part time and simple questions are just "beneath" them, but if you can't resound to email in a timely manner (within 48 hours) then maybe you are in the wrong business.  Here is my current list of suspects and my thoughts on each.

Suzohapp.com - As far as price and selection these guys are the best.  Shipping prices and shipping tactics suck. (e.g. I placed an order for ~$100 worth of products.  everything was in stock when I placed the order, but when they shipped it they shipped most of the order less a power supply and charged me $35 for shipping.  Then a couple of days later they say the power supply is now back in stock and ship the $22 power supply and charge me $25 to ship it).  My advice, buy from them only if you can not find it elsewhere (score 3/5)

Arcadeemulator.com - I placed 3 orders (2 online and 1 via email/paypal).  They are OK.  Their shipping speeds are kinda slow.  I placed an order on the 14th but it didn't ship til the 17th!  Another one of my orders was placed on the 15th and I got delivery notification on the 21st, but the package wasn't picked up til the 23rd!  Their Pre-Sales communication is fine, but god forbid you should ask them about the status of you order.  I got not one response to the 3 or 4 emails I sent.  Atleast they only charged me $8 to ship the same power supply Happ charged me $25 to ship!  Use these guys if you are not in a hurry and don't mind unanswered emails (score 4/5)

Jammaboards.com -  These are the guys that like to cram things into little boxes... Not a bad thing if they were selling sardines, but sending me an f-ed up joystick is not cool.  After submitting a ticket and waiting for 48 hours for a response then sending an email inquiring about the ticket a new stick is on the way.  Other than their substandard shipping practices these guys are great.  They ship fast (within 24 hours), their prices are good, and they respond to emails (with a little prodding!).  Buy from these guys because they have some things others don't (score 4/5)

Paradisearcadeshop.com - So far they are the best of the lot.  Decent prices and shipping speeds, and their communication is great!  They respond to emails within hours if not minutes.  They even offered to hand deliver products to my office (Only because we are on the same island, so I won't fault the other vendors for not offering to do the same).  They don't have everything, but if they have what you need you can't go wrong!  (score 5/5)

Groovygamegear.com - Only placed 1 order from them (recently) because I could not find this anywhere else.  They say it is shipping soon so... yay!  So far, so good!   Because they had what I was looking for: (score 5/5)

Emdkay.net - I don't know what the fark is wrong with these guys but apparently they don't want any work because they never responded to a single inquiry.  I sent messages upon messages on his stupid website that don't like Safari (which is kinda dumb since most real graphic artists use mac).  I posted private messages on this board.  I emailed him but and still nothing... nada... zilch!  He must be too busy building pinball machines for his GI-Joe's!!  (score 0/5) coincidentally the 0 is also the same amount of my money that is heading their way!

Gameongrafix.com - Sent these guys a similar request for quote not unlike the one I sent to emdkay.net.  By the time they responded nearly 48 hours later I was already committed to using someone else to do my artwork.  Seriously, if you are going to drag your feet you will be left in the dust.  But hey at least they responded all be it short and sloppy...  (score 1/5)

Basementarcadegrafx.com - Sent these guys a question and he came back with a through detailed explanation.  Asked more questions and received even more detailed information.  This guy treated me like he wanted my business, and that's all I want....  well that and stellar/professional/rugged artwork that belongs on an arcade machine!  If the quality of his work is as good as his customer service then this may be the beginning of a beautiful friendship. (score 5/5) <-- subject to reevaluation upon receipt of artwork!

ok that's all for now...

BTW, as far as progress on my cab goes... I have nearly everything I need (save better speakers, case fans, cold cathode lights) and the correct buttons...  I ordered Happs competition convex buttons but really wanted the concave Ultimate buttons... FML!  ::)

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2011, 11:08:32 am »
I also agree about the shipping costs from Suzo-Happ. But on the other hand they are a big company and a reliable source of parts that don't require us to buy 50 joysticks and 1000 buttons per order, so I'm grateful for that.

And I've had very good service when I ordered a few parts from Lizardlick. I've also had excellent packaging when I ordered my black and white Sanwa SDM-20 buttons from Arcadeshop.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2011, 11:38:03 am »
I also agree about the shipping costs from Suzo-Happ. But on the other hand they are a big company and a reliable source of parts that don't require us to buy 50 joysticks and 1000 buttons per order, so I'm grateful for that.

Divemaster (arcadeemulator.net) can get almost anything that's on the happ website and charges reasonable shipping.
The trade-off is that you usually need to wait a few weeks for him to get it from his supplier, then ship it to you.
(at least with the oddball stuff I order)
I've been happy with his service, but I knew the parts were special order to begin with, therefore I expect to wait a few weeks.
The shipping on my last order was $6.
He does keep the common stuff like joysticks/buttons/coin doors in stock.

I love the shape of this bartop.  Sorry, but it's so perfect, I may have to copy it.  :-[
(a lot of projects need to be completed before starting any new ones though)

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2011, 05:22:38 pm »
I love the shape of this bartop.  Sorry, but it's so perfect, I may have to copy it.  :-[
(a lot of projects need to be completed before starting any new ones though)
I'll be happy to give out the lines when I'm all done!

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2011, 07:05:02 am »
Well I've finally set a cut date... Right now I'm planning to cut all the pieces for this bar top next Saturday 10/8.  That gives me exactly 1 week to toolpath the entire cut, which is no easy task.  On another note I received the marquee retainers which is going to force me to make some small adjustments.  Silly stuff... will actually make the build a little easier... At least now I don't have to worry about attaching the small horizontal strip!

Ok time to get to work toolpathing... Nah... sleep first!

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2011, 06:20:02 pm »
Yay! one month later and i finally started cutting.  I made my first cuts today, the side panels.  The toolpathing and engineering took a lot longer than I ever expected.  Well the toolpathing was easy, but designing the cab and everything that goes with it is one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life.  This is way more complicated than I was expecting when starting out.  I spent the last week straight figuring out silly things like... how to mount the marquee lights, and speakers, and fans... here is a photo of my first cut:

Here is the router that I will be using to make my cuts:

Oh yeah, rather than lay out everything and cut it one time, I decided to toolpath each panel individually so if I need to recut a panel then I don't have to do the whole thing all over again... plus I get to use some scrap 3/4 marine grade plywood we have lying around!  :D

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2011, 07:15:43 pm »
I spent the last week straight figuring out silly things like... how to mount the marquee lights, and speakers, and fans...

.....a lot of us don't think about things like that until it's time to install them.   ;D

can't wait to see the shell assembled.  :applaud:

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2011, 02:11:39 am »
Here is a quick video of the machine in action... Warning, the 1/8" bits make awful sounds when they cut.  Someone was asking about the benefits us a 5 axis router (hmm.. may have been another thread).  Take a look:

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 02:34:26 am by Unstupid »

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2011, 07:46:27 pm »
So, that's the 5 axis router you were telling me about? I thought it would be bigger.  ;)

Did you record it when it made those speakers openings?

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
Re: My Bartop Neo-Geo cab, ** It's Construction Time! **
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2011, 08:05:46 pm »
no but I'm going to cut that speaker panel again and I can record it.  I wasn't real happy with the cut, I was doing a zig-zag pass when it should have been cutting one way when going with the grain...  Not to mention I didn't retract high enough when it transitioned between the 2 circled so it made a slight cut between the circles...   Oops!

Nephasth

« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2011, 08:10:31 pm »
Not to mention I didn't retract high enough when it transitioned between the 2 circled so it made a slight cut between the circles...   Oops!

I thought that was a channel to route wires in. Fooled me!

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2011, 06:43:13 pm »
I printed up the marquee light holders last night.  They turned out pretty well.  Am headed down to the shop to finish cutting the rest of the wood parts this evening!

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2011, 10:14:25 pm »
Printed?  As in 3D printed?

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2011, 12:01:49 am »
Yea.... I have access to a dimension 3d printer as well.  It's good to make small parts, but the build envelope is only 8"x8"x12"high

amendonz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2017, 04:33:57 pm
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2011, 12:57:27 am »
wow very swag!

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2021, 06:14:23 am
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2011, 02:32:48 am »
This is gonna look really cool! I'm definitely gonna be following this one. The fact that you have spent so much time planning first means that you know exactly what you want from this project. That's one of the things I learned early on... to think ahead and do your best to visualise exactly how it will turn out but at the same time think about the reality of those parts fitting together.

I'm not a fan of bat-tops at all (I'm much more a "classics" player so it's ball tops for me). But I appreciate that they were the original sticks fitted to those cabinets. Are you just going to be playing the 90s NEO-GEO games on it? Just wondering if you intend to play any 4-way classics as well.

Regarding the suppliers.... if a supplier screws up but actually fixes the problem really fast then I would give them kudos for that. It's when things go wrong that you really see how good a company's customer service is. It's no good shipping stuff out lightning fast to hundreds of satisfied customers if on the rare occurance you do screw up you then drag your feet over it.

I've had a few problems over the years getting artwork printed. My main problem is being in the UK and all the main suppliers being in the US. Gameongraffix provide excellent work, but I too have had problems with them being slow. Also two out of the three occasions I used them they produced pieces of artwork at completely the wrong size. Which of course meant I had to wait another long time to get the correct stuff shipped across the pond (which they did fix so that's a plus point). You actually have to put in the dimensions of the art you need when you order (and it appears on your order too) so I cannot see how that should be a problem.

I used a company called Classicarcadegraffix for my Star Wars art and they were excellent. Very fast and efficient. The shading of the prints for the front panel may not have been exactly true to the arcade original, but putting that aside the quality itself was superb. The side art is simply stunning.

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2011, 03:38:20 am »
This is gonna look really cool! I'm definitely gonna be following this one. The fact that you have spent so much time planning first means that you know exactly what you want from this project. That's one of the things I learned early on... to think ahead and do your best to visualise exactly how it will turn out but at the same time think about the reality of those parts fitting together.

I'm not a fan of bat-tops at all (I'm much more a "classics" player so it's ball tops for me). But I appreciate that they were the original sticks fitted to those cabinets. Are you just going to be playing the 90s NEO-GEO games on it? Just wondering if you intend to play any 4-way classics as well.

Regarding the suppliers.... if a supplier screws up but actually fixes the problem really fast then I would give them kudos for that. It's when things go wrong that you really see how good a company's customer service is. It's no good shipping stuff out lightning fast to hundreds of satisfied customers if on the rare occurance you do screw up you then drag your feet over it.

Thanks, I hope it will look cool...  ;D  The reason for the planning (over-planning) is that I'm going to be really space constrained.  There really is not that much room for error.  Also the router needs exact dimensions (to 1/1000"), but wood is funny... I'd settle for 1/100"  ;D  We'll see how every thing goes come assembly day.  I'm still debating wether or not to assemble then paint or paint then assemble then touch up paint...  

This machine is only for neo-geo games.  It's going to have real neo-geo hardware inside (MV1C PCB) so that's all it will play.  I'm already planning on my next cab after this one.... I'm looking to build a vertical bartop with a 4 way joystick and probably one of those 60-in-1 jamma boards.  I'm looking at doing something like a mini Donkey Kong or Pac Man cab (I know those have been done to death but it would look really cool next to the mini neo-geo).  I think a vertical 15" would overwhelm this horizontal neo cab that I'm building so I'm probably going to look for a 12" monitor to use in the build.  I already have most of the hardware ready to go... as I was buying parts for this cab I was purchasing double, even triple, what I needed.  I even got a true 4 way ball top from Groovy Game gear ready to go...

Yea, I don't fault jammaboards for the bad packaging since they were so quick to fix.  I'll probably be ordering more stuff from them for the next cab....

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2011, 05:34:09 am »
So I cut the rest of the parts tonight and recorded it with a go pro camera and apparently if you don't have enough light in the room all the videos will be out of focused!  Stupid video camera!  Anyways, foe what it's worth I recut the speaker panel and reported it on YouTube blurry and all.  You can kinda see what's going on here:

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2011, 04:49:25 pm »
Yea.... I have access to a dimension 3d printer as well.  It's good to make small parts, but the build envelope is only 8"x8"x12"high

That is awesome.  Would so enjoy being able to play with one of those. 

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2011, 12:08:12 pm »
A huge industrial CNC and a commercial 3D printer? I'm jealous!  :dizzy:

Thanks for the new video and the one where you cut the sides. I like watching CNCs cut something else than stupid wooden gears, signs and furniture panels.  ;)

Will you also be cutting the plexiglass/lexan for the marquee and screen with the CNC?

I can't wait to see all the cut panels and printed part assembled.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 12:11:07 pm by Yvan256 »

equlizer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2019, 02:56:48 am
  • All your base are belong to us
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2011, 01:08:55 pm »
I just love arcade porn :notworthy:

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2011, 06:49:25 am »
I just love arcade porn :notworthy:

Here then, a picture of the bottom of my control panel where I carved out a pocket for the competition joystick.

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2011, 08:50:04 am »
Perfect Fit.  Looks great.  Really have to get me one of them there machines.  Actually want to build one some time down the road.

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2011, 05:36:35 am »
Well I made some progress today... I drilled out all the holes for the dowel joints and the cam bolts.  Then I thought what the heck lets try and dry fit everything to see if it all fits together ok. 

Here you can see some stuff in place.  I stuck the marquee light holders on and it fit perfect.

Here you can see that with the monitor installed there is a 1/4" gap between the speaker panel and the monitor.  That gap serves 2 purposes, it allows enough clearance to be able to install the monitor and it will eventually be filled with a sheet of plexiglass.

The bottom of the plexiglass will be attached to the piece of wood below the monitor bezel with a screw.  The screw will only be visible when the control panel is open like so.  The control panel will be attached with a piano hinge on the bottom panel and to keep the CP from opening a lag bold will come up from below the cab through the 1/4" hole you see there

The lag bolt will screw into this

Here is a side view shot.  I stayed pretty true to the original design shape.

Here is a shot of the back of the cab without the door and the lower rear panel.  I didn't attach the lower panel because it only connects with cam bolts and the rear door only connects to the lower panel.  On the right is the power supply and on the left is the neo-geo PCB.  There is more space in there than I was expecting. 

emphatic

• Offline Offline
Re: Bartop Neo-Geo cab, ** More Progress 10/30 **
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2011, 06:37:11 am »
Lookin' great!  :applaud:

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2011, 12:26:00 pm »
There's enough space left for a built-in cartridges rack.  ;)

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2011, 02:09:35 pm »
Nice looking cab.  CNC is sure sweet.  :applaud: :applaud:

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2011, 03:29:28 pm »
There's enough space left for a built-in cartridges rack.  ;)
Yea, unfortunately there is still a lot of other things that need to fit in there.  the CGA to VGA Board, the audio amplifier, case fans, terminal strips, and a crapload of wires...

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2011, 02:56:20 pm »
There's enough space left for a built-in cartridges rack.  ;)
Yea, unfortunately there is still a lot of other things that need to fit in there.  the CGA to VGA Board, the audio amplifier, case fans, terminal strips, and a crapload of wires...

The cartridges rack should be installed on the top part of the space, with carts facing out the back of the cabinet. All the other things you mentioned could be installed in the base, on the right and back of the Neo-Geo motherboard.

If nothing has changed, your marquee should be more or less 15.35 x 3.56~5.00 inches. According to EMDKAY, Neo-Geo mini-marquees are <a href="http://emdkay.net/catalog/pulstar-mini-marquee-p-239.html"> 4.5 x 5.5 inches</a>, meaning you can't use them on your cabinet. Of course, you could order scaled-down mini-marquees (I'm sure EMDKAY and others can make smaller mini-marquees).

You could also add a barcode scanner and put a barcode label on your carts (on the left or right), wire up a microcontroller and you'd be able to have an automatic mini-marquee LCD that updates itself according to the cart in the motherboard.  ;)

Again, according to EMDKAY, the <a href="http://emdkay.net/catalog/slot-marquee-p-116.html">single-slot Neo-Geo marquee is 26 x 8 inches</a>.

Some quick calculations:
- original marquee = 26 x 8 inches, with 4.5 x 5.5 inches mini-marquees
- your marquee = 15.35 x ~3.56-5.00, with 2.65 x 3.25 inches mini-marquees, requiring an LCD display around 4.2 inches diagonal.

In any case, I don't remember where I got it, but attached is a high-resolution single-slot (space for one mini-marquee) Neo-Geo marquee graphic. It's a PNG file so there's no artifact and it's gonna be easy to modify if you need to move things around a bit or redraw the mini-marquee rectangle and cutout.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 03:56:37 pm by Yvan256 »

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2011, 03:33:54 pm »
There is no room up there... It is actually smaller than it looks...  Not to mention that is a MV1C so the cartridges sit vertically, and you would need space above it to remove the cartridges.  Plus the wall on the left above the PCB is where I was planning on wiring the audio amp so i'd have easy access to adjust the volume if necessary.  Above the Power Supply will be terminal blocks for the 5 and 12v supply.  Between the PBC and the power supply will be the air intake fan.  It's funny, the camera really distorts the image.   The Marquee's visible area will be 16" wide by 3.25 high.  I have all the artwork for the cab printed out already... just working on the wood filling, sanding, priming, sanding, painting, sanding, painting, sanding, painting, sanding painting......... uhh.... Next time I'm going with laminated MDF!!!

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2011, 03:57:12 pm »
Never mind the whole LCD mini-marquees idea, I just remembered your 3D-printed marquee light holders.   :-[

As for "next time"... If I had access to that CNC, I would simply re-cut the panels again with laminated MDF.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 04:14:47 pm by Yvan256 »

nordemoniac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 02:41:28 am
  • Weee! Hahaha...
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2011, 04:37:21 pm »
I'm about to start a similar project. Will mostly be NES-games, and only 8 inch. Just because I have about all of the hardware laying around + a couple of Bubble Bobble stickers that will fit nicely (25cm wide)

Nice inspiration on this thread. Thanks!

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2011, 04:52:10 pm »
I'm about to start a similar project. Will mostly be NES-games, and only 8 inch. Just because I have about all of the hardware laying around + a couple of Bubble Bobble stickers that will fit nicely (25cm wide)

Nice inspiration on this thread. Thanks!

Cool.. What are you going to use for the monitor that's 8"?

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2011, 11:48:25 pm »
As for "next time"... If I had access to that CNC, I would simply re-cut the panels again with laminated MDF.
THIS!!!  I've had it!!!!  Going to the plywood store tomorrow and buying a sheet of laminated mdf!  Spent all day sanding and painting and sanding and painting and it still looks like ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---!   AHHHHHHHHHHHHJ!

pathartl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2014, 01:10:17 am
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2011, 04:06:40 am »
That's a sick CNC mill! May I ask what its main purpose is? (Other than arcades of course :D)

Cab's looking great by the way. It looks like it's fitting together even better than most official cabinets!

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2011, 04:52:33 pm »
THIS!!!  I've had it!!!!  Going to the plywood store tomorrow and buying a sheet of laminated mdf!  Spent all day sanding and painting and sanding and painting and it still looks like ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---!   AHHHHHHHHHHHHJ!

Can you film it all again? Even a video at 5-10 times the normal speed would be fun to watch.

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2011, 05:15:27 pm »
will do!

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
So I was originally planning to recut everything on black combi-core Duramine but when I got to the plywood store on Saturday I realized I reft my truck bed cover on so I'll have to push everything back to this coming weekend.  Also it will give me time to re-tool path all the pieces since I have to adjust for the new thickness which is true 3/4" (.75") rather than 3/4" plywood which is actually 23/32 or appx .72".  While I'm waiting to get back to the plywood store I decided to play around with a new design for my next cab.  We have some 1/2" Duramine scrap sheets lying around so I decided to try out a bartop galaxian (pacman) shape cab.  It's a little big for the 10" screen I have for it... I'll be making some more adjustments for the monitor mounts and control panel.  But what you see in the profile shot is a perfect 1/2 scale of the top half of the cab.  The white duramine cuts real nice.  I'll be throwing a 60 in 1 board in there, so I'm debating what kind of artwork to go with... galaxian artwork or some generic multicade artwork.  I haven't really found any multicade style artwork that i REALLY like.  I may try and make my own if I end up going this route...

This is just a mock up to see how things will fit...  I'll probably start a new thread when I actually get going on this cab...

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
This is just a mock up to see how things will fit...  I'll probably start a new thread when I actually get going on this cab...

Your mock-ups have better cuts than my cabs.  :cry:

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2021, 06:14:23 am
That white cab looks really cool. The only trouble with that style cab for Galaxian or Ms.Pacman is that the monitor is laid practically flat. I think the tilt just matches the control panel so the whole thing is flat as it goes up. But that's only if you're going for real authenticity. Personally I'd tilt the monitor way up more for ease of viewing plus the fact it gives you way more space to fit stuff inside. Just depends how accurate a representation you want the bartop to be.

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
That white cab looks really cool. The only trouble with that style cab for Galaxian or Ms.Pacman is that the monitor is laid practically flat. I think the tilt just matches the control panel so the whole thing is flat as it goes up. But that's only if you're going for real authenticity. Personally I'd tilt the monitor way up more for ease of viewing plus the fact it gives you way more space to fit stuff inside. Just depends how accurate a representation you want the bartop to be.

You are correct!  There is no way to do a true scaled down version of this style cab because of the angle of the monitor.  At full scale the screen is best viewed with your head practically inside the cab.  This is not an option at 1/2 scale.  The monitor angle I'm going for with this cab will be parallel with a line from the corner of the side panel nearest the joystick and the corner nearest the marquee. 

On a separate note, I just wanted to say that I really admire your work!  Your DK cab is the nicest bartop I have seen.  You have set the bar very high!  A 1/2 scale Nintendo bartop cab is on my short list.  Thanks for the inspiration!    :notworthy:

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
So I recut the parts today!  Everything turned out really well except for the fact that the laminate is crazy sharp!  It's like working with razor blades.  I have cuts and scratches all over my arms and hands.  I videoed the entire cut process and will put the video up on YouTube later.

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
BTW here is the laminated wood I'm working with.  The people I picked it up from calls it Duramine and it is awesome... It cuts nicely, and it feels strong.  It has a plywood core sandwiched by a layer of MDF with a melamine exterior.  Check it out when you build your next cab.

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
BTW here is the laminated wood I'm working with.  The people I picked it up from calls it Duramine and it is awesome... It cuts nicely, and it feels strong.  It has a plywood core sandwiched by a layer of MDF with a melamine exterior.  Check it out when you build your next cab.
Seems like a very nice material indeed. The filename says Combicore, but you say it's called Duramine... what's the real name? Or are they both similar products from two different companies, hence the two names?

And do you have more photos of the new parts?

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
Duramine or Roseburg Duramine is the laminate, and combi-core is what they call the substrate.  I'll take more pics of the new parts.

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
Here is a small update for some progress I made over the weekend.  I recut all the panels, assembled it, and installed the finished control panel.  Here is a couple of pics of the control panel closed and open.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
Re: Bartop Neo-Geo cab, ** Progress is slow, but oh so sweet! :) **
« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2011, 06:10:22 pm »
Super-duper! Can we see the bottom of the control panel too?  :cheers:

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2011, 06:17:06 pm »
Nice the way it pivots for access. Looks great  :applaud:

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2011, 06:41:40 pm »
Super-duper! Can we see the bottom of the control panel too?  :cheers:

That's a tough picture to get!  This is the best I could do.  It's hard to see, but you may notice the cp overlay wrapping from the top, tucked under the button nuts, around over the top and front of the CP and wrapped around the bottom and  tucked under the piano hinge. I'm not doing any type of lexan or acrylic cover for the CP.  The control panel was printed by Basement Arcade Grafx with an adhesive back and an emerytex vinyl overcoat.  It costs a little more but it's awesome!  

" Emerytex UV is a pressure-sensitive, non-glare, scuff-resistant PVC (vinyl) overlaminating film with pebble finish. The high tack solvent acrylic adhesive deters tunneling; the scuff resistant finish makes this laminating film ideal for applications where extensive handling may be involved. Finish is similar to velvet matte Lexan™. SUGGESTED APPLICATIONS: Excellent for laminating mounted prints that will be placed in high-traffic indoor display areas including trade show graphics and exhibits. It is also suitable for laminating mouse pads, counter graphics and other similar applications."

« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 08:13:05 pm by Unstupid »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2011, 07:06:15 pm »
Thanks! Great to have the CGA->VGA card menu buttons accessible by flipping the panel open as well.  :applaud:

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2011, 07:14:34 pm »
Thanks! Great to have the CGA->VGA card menu buttons accessible by flipping the panel open as well.  :applaud:
That's the plan :) .  Although it needs to fit under the joystick so I'm looking for some 1/4 pcb standoffs to mount it.

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2011, 02:13:29 am »
Can you film it all again? Even a video at 5-10 times the normal speed would be fun to watch.

Here you go....

On another note... I have the cab all up and working...  It is close to being finished, just waiting for the side art.  Also have to finish up a little bit of wiring..  Also I ended up scrapping the CCFL holders for the marquee.  The lights ended up flickering when the power supply was taxed.  I ended up putting a single 12" m5 bulb in there and it is actually brighter than the 2 15" ccfl lights!   :dunno 

SNAAKE

• Offline Offline
Re: Bartop Neo-Geo cab, ** Progressing very slowly! :) **
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2011, 05:53:36 am »
^ awesome video :burgerking:

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2011, 02:53:03 pm »
Loved the speeded up video.  :applaud: :applaud:

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2011, 07:53:54 pm »
That video was great.  You do realize that line on the floor says DO NOT CROSS.  LOL.  At least that's what I think it says.  Would you happen to have the cnc cut file?  Or DXF or whatever you used.

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2011, 03:52:48 am »
That video was great.  You do realize that line on the floor says DO NOT CROSS.  LOL.  At least that's what I think it says.  Would you happen to have the cnc cut file?  Or DXF or whatever you used.

That line on the floor is for everyone else...  I don't like people walking inside when it is running because they don't know when and how the machine is going to move.  I don't want to have to worry about them being in the wrong place at the wrong time when I should be worrying about myself.   I shouldnt be grabbing parts off the table while it is cutting, its easy to get complacent the more you use the machine.  I have the 3d files in rhino and mastercam.   I can try and convert them to dxf.  I'm not sure the G-code would do you any good.  They are pretty machine specific.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 04:28:03 am by Unstupid »

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 10:19:10 pm
« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2011, 09:22:47 am »
I can try and convert them to dxf.  I'm not sure the G-code would do you any good.  They are pretty machine specific.

or you can start selling CNC'd bartop kits to forum members  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2011, 06:29:31 pm »
Thanks for the video, finally a CNC cutting something else than 3D plaques and boring furniture!  :cheers:

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
Re: Bartop Neo-Geo cab, ** Things Going Together! :) **
« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2011, 02:09:05 pm »
I haven't updated in a while so I though you guys may like to see some assembly photos...  When I built what is not the mockup, I used a combination of cam locks and dowels,  but while putting it together the 3/8" dowels were so tight that the cam locks were completely unnecessary.  So in the final cuts on the melamine/combicore material I decided to remove the cam locks and just use dowels.

Here you can see the 2 sides with dowels already glued in.  If you watched the video earlier of when I was cutting you would see it scribing some lines.  Those lines were guides for the doweling jig to align the drill bit to cut into the side of the panels. 

Add in the monitor frame

speaker panel

top panels

finished assembly.  I didn't have time to take pics in between these steps.  I had to work fast to get everything tight before the glue dried

Fire away with any questions...

SNAAKE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2011, 04:31:54 pm »
id buy one of these for the cuteness factor :cheers:

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2011, 04:35:14 pm »
I like the look of this countertop a lot.  It's small and cute and all that but most importantly it looks like an actual arcade cabinet.  I know the Wee-Cades are popular but they look like a laptop in a box to me.

So how much shipped for one of these flat packed for your BYOAC friends?

Wow!  Thanks for the compliment!  A couple of people contacted me asking how much a flat pack would run...  I'll look into it but it may be pretty expensive since I'm in Hawaii... I was thinking I could give the plans to someone who can cut stuff on the mainland like Dptwiz on the KLOV forums and you could buy it from him... I'd have to rework the design a little since they only have 3 axis CNC machines...  Let me check some things...

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2011, 08:33:50 pm »
I like the look of this countertop a lot.  It's small and cute and all that but most importantly it looks like an actual arcade cabinet.  I know the Wee-Cades are popular but they look like a laptop in a box to me.

So how much shipped for one of these flat packed for your BYOAC friends?

Wow!  Thanks for the compliment!  A couple of people contacted me asking how much a flat pack would run...  I'll look into it but it may be pretty expensive since I'm in Hawaii... I was thinking I could give the plans to someone who can cut stuff on the mainland like Dptwiz on the KLOV forums and you could buy it from him... I'd have to rework the design a little since they only have 3 axis CNC machines...  Let me check some things...

I have to completely agree with pinballjim here. Credit where it's due however; The weecade plans are what got me started into planning a mini cab but it simply does not even remotely look like the arcades i remember. I love this design it looks so much like the arcades i remember growing up and I'm not even a big neo geo fan.

If the inside was big enough to fit the internals that I wanted, i would be interested in buying one of these too (or better yet, a two player model). You can probably find quite a few fans of this design that would be interested in buying one at the neo-geo.com forums

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2011, 08:58:35 pm »
Yea I'm on the Neo forums already... don't really want to tell them about it until everything is done (in 10 days).  The wife has given me the eviction notice from the dining room table!  So look for the reveal video on 12/12 :)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2011, 02:59:00 pm »
maybe you can send one to Keith Apicary for some shameless advertising

SNAAKE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2011, 05:28:22 pm »
 :laugh2:

wizkid32

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2013, 07:27:03 pm
  • Portland Trailblazers, FTW!
« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2011, 08:40:16 pm »
What encoder are you using for your CP?  Am I correct in assuming that you are using a generic Joystick/Keyboard encoder?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your
(")_(") signature and help him on his quest for world domination.

Best,
Wizkid32

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2011, 12:46:44 pm »
What encoder are you using for your CP?  Am I correct in assuming that you are using a generic Joystick/Keyboard encoder?

It's a JAMMA cabinet, so no encoder.

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2011, 01:14:29 pm »

This is correct.  I decided a few months ago that since i only wanted it to play neogeo games the best route would be to go with a real arcade board.  I found a couple on eBay for > $100 each.  I also picked up one of those 161-in-1 cartridges.  So for about $250 I could pretty much replace the whole computer.

As far as sending one to Keith Apicary for free advertising, I would love to see what he would do with it,  but I really don't want to sell these.  I don't live in a place where it would make any sense to start mass producing these.  Shipping costs will negate any possible profits.  The only reason I built this was to see if I could.  I'm going to build a couple more cabs just for fun (and maybe Christmas presents).   

Stay tuned!  I'll be posting the final video for this project in about a week!  It will be very interesting, I promise!

wizkid32

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2011, 07:39:50 pm »

I see.  Definitely a more authentic arcade experience then.  ;D
(\__/)

Best,
Wizkid32

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: December 12, 2011, 02:12:27 pm »
Well, I'm all done... I was planning on posting the reveal video today but I just realized that I left the battery for my camcorder at work...  I'll grab it today and shoot the video tonight and maybe there will be something for you guys to look at when you wake up in the morning!

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: December 12, 2011, 07:19:46 pm »
looking forward to the video. shame you won't be selling this kit. Would have bought one from you in a heartbeat!

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: December 12, 2011, 07:22:36 pm »
looking forward to the video. shame you won't be selling this kit. Would have bought one from you in a heartbeat!

I'll try and find someone to reproduce them on the mainland if it gets a good response.   How do you know the final product doesn't look like a turd*?  Hahaha.

*I tried not to build a turd!

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: December 12, 2011, 07:27:04 pm »

I'll try and find someone to reproduce them on the mainland if it gets a good response.   How do you know the final product doesn't look like a turd*?  Hahaha.

*I tried not to build a turd!

Let's put it this way. I've seen your  progress pics and its 1000000x better than anything i can make. I'm still debating whether to take another shot at making a cab myself but even if by some miraculous streak i complete one on my own, i doubt it will ever come out as cool as that one.  :cheers:

wizkid32

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: December 12, 2011, 09:33:22 pm »
Indeed.  I'd be flattering myself if I said that my cab. will look half as good as yours...
(\__/)

Best,
Wizkid32

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: December 13, 2011, 04:40:43 pm »
10 more minutes on the video encode then it on to Youtube...   So look for it within the hour!  Sorry it took so long!

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
Re: Bartop Neo-Geo System ***FINISHED*** Video Uploaded
« Reply #110 on: December 13, 2011, 06:22:03 pm »
Well, 3 months after I started I am finally finished...    Here is the video I promised you 2 days ago...  I hope you find it interesting.  Hit me up with any questions!

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #111 on: December 13, 2011, 06:39:17 pm »
Really impressed with your double cab 2 player setup.   :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: Your build ROCKS!

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: December 13, 2011, 06:43:03 pm »
Really impressed with your double cab 2 player setup.   :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: Your build ROCKS!
Thanks Bob....  Big fan of your work too!

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: December 13, 2011, 06:54:36 pm »
In the video I forgot to talk about the breakout controller.  It's basically regular Neo Geo joystick but with the same angles as the bartop...

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #114 on: December 13, 2011, 07:01:52 pm »
Lots of great things I love about this project.
- I love that you're using real hardware for this.  This gets mad-props from me. I'm really impressed that you went this route.
- I love the power entry, and organized wiring.
- I love the homage to a full-sized stand-up design. A lot of people make theme'd bartop cabinets that only pertain to their theme through artwork alone. They don't bother trying to make it shaped like the original cabs.
- The choice for a DB25 and the double cabinet is just so pimp!
- Hinged CP, very nice!

All in all, this rocks hard!
If you haven't already, you might want to take a look into a Unibios for your MVS motherboard. It could give you some access to better multiplayer features for some games, and consolized options.

Amazing job!
 :applaud:

edit:  Whoops, just read that the MV-1C is more difficult to install the Unibios, 'cause of the chip being soldered to the board. But if you're handy with a solding iron (seeing that you got stereo output) then this might not be a big deal.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 07:23:16 pm by opt2not »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: December 13, 2011, 07:06:22 pm »
lol, I was watching the video thinking "This thing is just perfect."
Then you take it even farther!  :cheers:

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #116 on: December 13, 2011, 07:24:39 pm »
damn.  :applaud:

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: December 13, 2011, 07:40:37 pm »
Lots of great things I love about this project.
- I love that you're using real hardware for this.  This gets mad-props from me. I'm really impressed that you went this route.
- I love the power entry, and organized wiring.
- I love the homage to a full-sized stand-up design. A lot of people make theme'd bartop cabinets that only pertain to their theme through artwork alone. They don't bother trying to make it shaped like the original cabs.
- The choice for a DB25 and the double cabinet is just so pimp!
- Hinged CP, very nice!

All in all, this rocks hard!
If you haven't already, you might want to take a look into a Unibios for your MVS motherboard. It could give you some access to better multiplayer features for some games, and consolized options.

Amazing job!

edit:  Whoops, just read that the MV-1C is more difficult to install the Unibios, 'cause of the chip being soldered to the board. But if you're handy with a solding iron (seeing that you got stereo output) then this might not be a big deal.

Thanks

- in this instance it was a lot easier to use a MV1C than it would be to use a computer and mame...
- I still have to get in there and spend an hour cleaning up the wiring
- Yea the lines I got off a real Neo cab on jakobud's site and adjusted their lengths to fit while still preserving the angles...
- building second cab is easy... building the first one is hard!
- the hinged CP was a nightmare...  hardest part of the build!  for the next cabs I'm doing a removable floor route(at least the part of the floor under the CP)

I have a buddy XianXi on the neo-geo forums that does the unibios mods... he's my goto guy for soldering on PCB's.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: December 13, 2011, 07:49:20 pm »
just unbelievable. great job on everything! I'm completely speechless.

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #119 on: December 13, 2011, 10:45:47 pm »
I was watching the video, thinking "woah, this is a really, really nice bartop cabinet, there's no way it can get any better than - woah holy crap, a dual bartop system for the two-players setup!"  :o

All I can say is congratulations on the whole setup, it looks like a real MVS cabinet. Especially with real MVS hardware inside.  ;D

:cheers:

amendonz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2017, 04:33:57 pm
« Reply #120 on: December 13, 2011, 11:31:21 pm »
godlike build  :notworthy:

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #121 on: December 14, 2011, 01:07:18 am »
Fantastic!   :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: Well done all the way around, wonderful craftsmanship!

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #122 on: December 14, 2011, 02:09:35 am »
All I can say is congratulations on the whole setup, it looks like a real MVS cabinet. Especially with real MVS hardware inside.  ;D

Hey thanks!  Actually the single slot machines don't use the MVS tags because they are not "M"ulti machines that's why my cab says system since its only a 1 slot PCB.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #123 on: December 14, 2011, 02:12:36 am »
I'm speechless.  :notworthy:

Did you consider adding the SLG3000 into the main unit to add scanlines?

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #124 on: December 14, 2011, 02:23:51 am »
I'm speechless.  :notworthy:

Did you consider adding the SLG3000 into the main unit to add scanlines?

I ordered 2 of them... They were back ordered for the past week or
So.... But they shipped last thursday and should be here soon... Not sure how long mail takes from Denmark.  We need a reseller in the states!

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: December 14, 2011, 02:32:13 am »
Oh those would be perfect to finish these off!  :applaud:

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #126 on: December 14, 2011, 04:36:28 am »

I ordered 2 of them... They were back ordered for the past week or
So.... But they shipped last thursday and should be here soon... Not sure how long mail takes from Denmark.  We need a reseller in the states!

You might be able to just put one after the CGA-VGA card in the "mother cab".

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: December 15, 2011, 06:15:14 pm »
You might be able to just put one after the CGA-VGA card in the "mother cab".

Yea actually I was only going to use 1 on the main machine because I was planning on taking the other one and reverse engineering it ;) .  The dual cabs would take 2 SLG 300's because I'm going in to the encoder with CGA and it is outputting 2 VGA signals.   Each of those VGA signals will require a separate SLG3000.  I'm probably not going to keep the second cab.  All along this was just a test to see if I could build it.  I'll probably stick another MV1C in the second cab (which I already have) and sell it (locally).  But I'll keep it as a set unitl atlease after the holidays!

Hi-TEK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2012, 05:11:58 pm
  • Video Game Addict
« Reply #128 on: December 15, 2011, 11:54:08 pm »
Just watched the video and what an epic build. I love all the expandable options for adding on a second player especially the dual linked cabinets. Great work all the way around.
"Don't just stand there! Shoot something!" - Duke Nukem
The Invader Bartop - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=116345.0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #129 on: December 16, 2011, 10:38:40 am »
So at the end of the video it says to please post your questions and comments. My question is, when do I get one of these?  ;D

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: December 16, 2011, 04:31:19 pm »
Yay....  Look what showed up at my office today!  Gonna stick this thing on one of my cabs when I get home and see if we can do a side by side comparison.  I hear great things about this scan line generator.  We'll see if it ives up to its reputation.  BTW this is the SLG3000 v2.  I really don't know what is the difference between V1 and V2.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 07:32:57 pm by Unstupid »

• Offline Offline
« Reply #131 on: December 18, 2011, 03:48:45 pm »
I got the itch to give a project like this a shot. Any chance you could put up some dimensions of your cab?

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2012, 09:39:36 pm »
I got the itch to give a project like this a shot. Any chance you could put up some dimensions of your cab?

They are each 17.5" wide, 17.8" deep and 22.1" high.  Is that the dimensions you wanted or do you want the dimensions for each part so you can sut your own?

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: January 06, 2012, 07:16:32 am »
Hey, did you get the SLG3000 installed and what did you think?

• Offline Offline
« Reply #134 on: January 07, 2012, 09:20:52 am »

They are each 17.5" wide, 17.8" deep and 22.1" high.  Is that the dimensions you wanted or do you want the dimensions for each part so you can sut your own?

Yeah i actually met a cabinet maker over the holiday season that may be able to make one for me so the dimensions would have been great. However, i forked over way too much money over the Christmas holidays so that's going to have to go on hold for now.

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: January 09, 2012, 01:13:46 pm »
Hey, did you get the SLG3000 installed and what did you think?

The SLG3000 makes a huge difference...  It looks a lot better with the scan lines...  but it is not perfect.  See the monitor is native 1024x768 but the SLG3000 is made to work on a monitor 640x480 or 800x600.  So I have the gonbes video encoder set to output at 640x480 then I run it into the SLG3000 then into the monitor.  Now because the video being input is 640x480 it has to do some scaling within the monitor.  When it does that it also scales the scan lines as well which results in a strange banding effect... that makes some horizontal lines across the screen.  But it still looks better than no scan lines at all..  I did plug it into my 10" monitor that is a native 640x480 screen and that looks awesome!  I may consider scaling the whole cabinet down another 30% and using this smaller monitor, but that's going to get real tight.  Another strange thing that I'm running into, is that after 20 minutes or so the monitor will shut off...  But if I run without the SLG3000 then the monitor does not shut off...  I'm wondering is somehow the SLG3000 is stressing the monitor causing it to work harder and overheat?  i dunno....

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #136 on: January 09, 2012, 01:37:58 pm »
Check the monitor doesn't have any inbuilt powersave options. It could be that the way the signal is being interpreted means that it may be going into powersave.  Does the power completely cut out or just the image?

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: January 09, 2012, 01:42:16 pm »
complete power out.... it goes dead for like 10 minutes then comes back on...  tested power while monitor goes out and it stays steady 12v..  something internal to the monitor is knocking off.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: January 10, 2012, 01:58:57 am »
Too bad the monitor's acting up. Did you try running the SLG3000 at a less intense scanline setting and see if it still cuts out? IIRC, the SLG3000 is powered by the sync signal, you can try hooking it up to the PSU's +5V and see if this fixes the "rolling blackouts". :)

nordemoniac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 02:41:28 am
  • Weee! Hahaha...
« Reply #139 on: January 10, 2012, 04:30:01 am »
Is that parallell plug the only way to get two player on different machines?

I'm going to build a small bubble bobble cabinet, and was thinking of making two (one in another theme), and be able to hook them up together.

I was hoping to use a LAN-connection with static IPs on both computers.

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2012, 12:11:49 pm »
Is that parallell plug the only way to get two player on different machines?

I'm going to build a small bubble bobble cabinet, and was thinking of making two (one in another theme), and be able to hook them up together.

I was hoping to use a LAN-connection with static IPs on both computers.

In my situation I needed 23 pins to connect the 2 machines because the second machine is just a "dumb" controller because it has no computer or PCB inside.  I needed everything (audio, video, controller) to be pushed over the parallel port.  If you are going to be putting a computer in the second cabinet you can probably get away with using an Ethernet jack and a cross connect cable depending on the software you are using for your emulation (I never looked into that option but it seems feasable).

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2012, 12:23:05 pm »
I only skimmed though this (at work; on the down low) but what I have seen and read is nothing short of 'excellent'. So many great ideas I may have to steal borrow for my plans.  I particularly love the "dummy bartop" for two player action without cramping. Such a great idea.  Love it.

Cable Tech

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 22, 2013, 10:48:30 pm
« Reply #142 on: February 21, 2012, 10:37:09 pm »
I have been lurking here for a while but I wanted to join in and tell you how amazing that cabinet is. It is such a simple design and yet complex at the same time. The construction of it just flows together so good.  My soon to be built cabinet is going to be an exact duplicate in design to yours. I hate to copy it but after looking at all the cabs out there, yours is the one I keep coming back to.  Any chance we all could get some dimensions of each part to cut our own? 

Thanks and good job!!

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2012, 10:53:29 pm »
I'll see what I can throw together...  If I find the Rhino file could you work with that?

Cable Tech

• Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: February 23, 2012, 09:30:00 pm »
I don't have Rhino and have never used it before :dunno

Can you export the file to an Autocad .dwg file maybe? I'm not going to need it for a cnc like you have, just use a good table saw!

Just export it to something that will display the pieces and dimensions. Even a simple jpeg showing would work.

If all else fails, i'll take the Rhino file.. :lol

Thanks in advance for your time.

macattack

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 03, 2018, 05:35:16 pm
  • Cabinet builder to the stars!
« Reply #145 on: February 24, 2012, 08:39:45 am »
schweet, i love it. no i need one :)

yeah would love a copy of the plans to attempt one of these myself.
i can probably get away with using the rhino files if its easier.

thanks.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 08:49:23 am by macattack »
Pm me for custom cnc needs...

• Offline Offline
« Reply #146 on: February 24, 2012, 08:53:20 am »
I'll see what I can throw together...  If I find the Rhino file could you work with that?

Sent you a pm about the plans some time ago. hope you put them up somewhere. :)

I don't have Rhino and have never used it before :dunno

Can you export the file to an Autocad .dwg file maybe? I'm not going to need it for a cnc like you have, just use a good table saw!

Just export it to something that will display the pieces and dimensions. Even a simple jpeg showing would work.

If all else fails, i'll take the Rhino file.. :lol

Thanks in advance for your time.

Pretty sure you can export Rhino to other popular formats.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #147 on: February 24, 2012, 11:07:34 am »
I'm sure if you uploaded the Rhino files someone else here could convert it into a more popular format.

Your cabinet is very impressive.  It really looks like a Neo Geo cab that came out of the factory.   :cheers:

hotman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2012, 05:46:48 am
« Reply #148 on: February 24, 2012, 12:02:02 pm »
Very nice job mate if mine turns out half as good as yours I will be happy

hotman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2012, 05:46:48 am
« Reply #149 on: February 24, 2012, 12:04:32 pm »
Very nice job mate if mine turns out half as good as yours I will be happy

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #150 on: February 24, 2012, 04:27:43 pm »
Just pulling everything together... The pieces were cut/toolpathed indiviidually so I'm trying to compile all the latest files... also when sending to mastercam to toolpath not everything in the drawing was cut as swawn up... in some cases I has a 1/4" hole drawn but when i got it into mastercam I changed it to a 3/8" hole.  I did a lot of 11th hour changes like that so these drawings may not be very good for toolpathing.  Also youll notice that there are a lot of cuts done at obscure angles... that was done because I had the 5 axis router to make those cuts... it will be pretty dificult to recreate this cab without a CNC machine.  You probably won't be able to do the dowel assembly like I did because that requires precide drilling on the side panels, but you should be able to recreate the cab with blocking.  Don't want to scare any of you off from trying it, just want to give you an idea of what i been working with... here is my assembly:

http://www.unstupid.com/myimages/neocabexploded.jpg

Look for a link in a bit that has all the rhino files...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 04:34:08 pm by Unstupid »

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #151 on: February 24, 2012, 04:57:34 pm »
heres some files in 3DM and DWG

DWG Files 3.77meg
3DM Files 1.16meg

Good luck... Let me know how they turn out, or if you need any help!

Turambar

• And I don't watch Fox news or use Happ joysticks.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2021, 11:10:13 pm
  • Owner of Wayback's Arcade
    • Wayback's Arcade
« Reply #152 on: February 24, 2012, 05:01:49 pm »
Unstupid, this is, as everyone has stated, an incredibly beautiful build.  For the uninitiated, what does a five axis CNC machine like the one you are using cost?

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: February 24, 2012, 05:03:59 pm »
Unstupid, this is, as everyone has stated, an incredibly beautiful build.  For the uninitiated, what does a five axis CNC machine like the one you are using cost?
About $300,000...  It's a thermwood Model 90 with a single 10'x5' table and a 36" z-stroke.  You can see more here:  http://www.thermwood.com

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #154 on: February 24, 2012, 06:18:31 pm »
About $300,000...  It's a thermwood Model 90 with a single 10'x5' table and a 36" z-stroke.  You can see more here:  http://www.thermwood.com

That's it?  Hmmm... I might have to buy a couple of them then.

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #155 on: February 24, 2012, 06:55:18 pm »
That's it?  Hmmm... I might have to buy a couple of them then.
Nice... Let me know if you want me to run em for you!  I'll work cheap...say $100/hour? ;) 

Turambar

• And I don't watch Fox news or use Happ joysticks.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2021, 11:10:13 pm
  • Owner of Wayback's Arcade
    • Wayback's Arcade
« Reply #156 on: February 24, 2012, 07:18:43 pm »
I've often wondered about the DIY CNC machines that give you 3 axis.  Obviously it is still expensive to set up and build, but if you can do it for 3-5k would it be worth it (also assuming you had the place to store it :) )

Cable Tech

• Offline Offline
« Reply #157 on: February 26, 2012, 12:53:57 pm »
Unstupid, I've recreated your cabinet using Sketchup. I hope you don't mind. Most woodworkers are using this now and of course it is free. I imported all the files from the dwg's you supplied and converted it all over. The measurements are dead on accurate for anyone wanting to reproduce this cabinet exactly. I used Sketchup 7 on this. All you have to do is open it up and explode the panels. I really appreciate you supplying these files.

I agree on the dowel assembly. I tried and couldn't get it lined up exact. I just went ahead and started using Kreg pocket screws.

Thanks again!!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 01:09:46 pm by Cable Tech »

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #158 on: February 26, 2012, 10:28:51 pm »
Hey. Nice work on the sketch up model.  Couple things to note, that monitor panel was specific for my monitor and is set to make the monitor flush with the rest of the panel allowing a 1/4" space behind the speaker panel all they way down behind the control panel.  This slot is there for the plexiglass to protect the monitor.  Of course you will have to use a different size hole for whatever monitor you are using. Also there are spaces where the control panel and back door attaches to the cabinet.  There's are for the piano hinges and will also change depending on what ever hinge you use.

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: February 26, 2012, 10:33:36 pm »

I agree on the dowel assembly. I tried and couldn't get it lined up exact. I just went ahead and started using Kreg pocket screws.

Thanks again!!

Wow have you already started building one of your own?  If so I'd love to see some pictures.  If I can be of any help let me know!

• Offline Offline
« Reply #160 on: February 28, 2012, 10:45:27 am »
Unstupid, I've recreated your cabinet using Sketchup. I hope you don't mind. Most woodworkers are using this now and of course it is free. I imported all the files from the dwg's you supplied and converted it all over. The measurements are dead on accurate for anyone wanting to reproduce this cabinet exactly. I used Sketchup 7 on this. All you have to do is open it up and explode the panels. I really appreciate you supplying these files.

Thanks again!!

Great, thanks for the sketchup file. Awesome to hear that someone else is making one. Make me one too! LOL!  :angel:

Cable Tech

• Offline Offline
« Reply #161 on: February 28, 2012, 09:25:01 pm »
Couple things to note, that monitor panel was specific for my monitor and is set to make the monitor flush with the rest of the panel allowing a 1/4" space behind the speaker panel all they way down behind the control panel.  This slot is there for the plexiglass to protect the monitor.  Of course you will have to use a different size hole for whatever monitor you are using.
Yeah I figured that. I just wanted to recreate yours exactly, for the fun of it! Thats why thats the last panel I'll put in. I have to see how all my hardware is gonna fit first.
Also there are spaces where the control panel and back door attaches to the cabinet.  There's are for the piano hinges and will also change depending on what ever hinge you use.
I just put the panels together in the Sketchup model. I knew without the exact dimensions of the hinges, i couldn't place the panels exact. I just had to do some adjusting as I put the hinges on.

Here's some pics so far:

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #162 on: February 28, 2012, 10:49:40 pm »
Wow that look great!  those kreig jig joints look pretty tight...  Umm your joystick configuration has too many buttons!  That there be a Neo Geo cab...  You can't put a street fighter button config on a Neo Geo cab!  that's sacreligious!   :D  Oh  one thing I for got to mention... that top panel and speaker panel is 3/4" thick but the Happ Marquee retainer only covers like 1/2" so you'll end up with a funny shadow cast on the marquee glass... you may want to shave down the underside of that front lip about 1/4 inch

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #163 on: February 28, 2012, 10:59:20 pm »
Too many buttons... not red... so confused.  Looking good man, I'm sure it'll come together and we'll all see the light. 

Cable Tech

• Offline Offline
« Reply #164 on: February 28, 2012, 11:38:44 pm »
Oh  one thing I for got to mention... that top panel and speaker panel is 3/4" thick but the Happ Marquee retainer only covers like 1/2" so you'll end up with a funny shadow cast on the marquee glass... you may want to shave down the underside of that front lip about 1/4 inch

I wondered why you did that? That explains all...

Umm your joystick configuration has too many buttons!  That there be a Neo Geo cab...  You can't put a street fighter button config on a Neo Geo cab!  that's sacreligious!

LOL..Well...um....i'm still debating on that.  I'm just building a standard mame cab.  :dunno This will just be a one player cab. I just want to make sure I have enough buttons if I come across a game I like later....I just fell in love with your design the moment I seen it. Sorry if it's not gonna be a Neo Geo cab :cry:  please guys....don't be hatin'...

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #165 on: February 29, 2012, 05:36:01 am »
Oh  one thing I for got to mention... that top panel and speaker panel is 3/4" thick but the Happ Marquee retainer only covers like 1/2" so you'll end up with a funny shadow cast on the marquee glass... you may want to shave down the underside of that front lip about 1/4 inch

I wondered why you did that? That explains all...

Sorry, by your answer I could tell that we are talking about different things.  what I'm talking about shaving down is the wood panels.  You need to cut or plane down the underside of the top and speaker panel because they are thicker than the retainer will cover causing weird shadows.  I attached a picture.  Plane them down like where the green line is.  A dremmel door planer works well for this task.

Ai think what you were talking about was why I trimmed the marquee retainer.  I took off 1/8" of the lower retainer short lip where it contacts the marquee because the lower retainer is oriented at an angle it would stick out further than the top one if I didn't trim it.  There are soooo many small details like that that I keep forgetting to mention...

Cable Tech

• Offline Offline
« Reply #166 on: February 29, 2012, 05:46:31 pm »
Yeah I was talking about the angles on the edge panels, not the retainers. I didn't include those angles in my drawing. I assumed it had something to do with how the marquee fit, but haven't got that far yet!

As you can see by the pics I started to use plywood and then added some mdf melamine panels (just had laying around).  I was originally just gonna formica the whole thing but then I read about you using that Emerytex laminated vinyl. Unfortunately my local guys I use for printing don't have anything like that. Just like luck I usually get going good on a project and then I run into lots of little details that slow me down.  I have a feeling this is gonna be a long process... :banghead:

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #167 on: March 05, 2012, 05:07:05 am »
Did you make any progress this weekend?

Cable Tech

• Offline Offline
« Reply #168 on: March 05, 2012, 07:29:51 pm »
Actually I did! It's moving slowly but surely...

I mounted the control panel and rounded it over. I also finished the marquee. As you can see from the pics I just used aluminum angle for the holders. it's cheaper than the plastic holder stuff and readily available. I will either paint it black or wrap it in vinyl when I do the rest of the cab.

I also fabricated a test control panel with the exact dimensions of the real one. I am just testing out how it's all gonna feel before I make my final holes. I'm still debating on the button placement. Does that joystick look familiar? Also my ipac2 works perfectly and is programmed and ready to go. I'm going wrap it all in vinyl once I get it from my supplier. I might as well wait and do that before I install everything..

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:32:44 pm by Cable Tech »

BurgerKingDiamond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #169 on: April 10, 2012, 02:39:37 pm »
Really nice project dude, but why on Earth did you spend so much on your monitor? You could have got like 4 or 5 for that price...

Hey, where did you get your red laminate from and what color is it? I looked at one website that had like 12 shades of red and I'm having trouble picking. Yours looks like a good match.

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #170 on: April 10, 2012, 04:23:15 pm »
I wanted a monitor that would be easy to mount so I bought an industrial monitor that included the bezel and basically built the cabinet around the monitor.

The NeoGeo red everyone uses is Behr Grenadine.  You can get a swatch at Home Depot.  I mailes a swatch to John at Basement arcade graphics and asked him if he could color match it for my artwork.  He did a great job!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 04:33:33 pm by Unstupid »

BurgerKingDiamond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #171 on: April 10, 2012, 04:58:22 pm »
Thanks dude. Grenadine was actually one of the colors I was considering. So I guess I'll go with that.

Cable Tech

• Offline Offline
« Reply #172 on: May 02, 2012, 11:15:29 pm »
I mailes a swatch to John at Basement arcade graphics and asked him if he could color match it for my artwork.  He did a great job!

I emailed John and got no reply. I heard on the forum that he pulled out and isn't printing anymore. Do you have another source for this?

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #173 on: May 02, 2012, 11:23:13 pm »
I mailes a swatch to John at Basement arcade graphics and asked him if he could color match it for my artwork.  He did a great job!

I emailed John and got no reply. I heard on the forum that he pulled out and isn't printing anymore. Do you have another source for this?

I do not... infact I'm trying to find someone to print some overlays for the control panels for my cocktail cab.  I removed his name/link from the youtube video.  If you find someone else to print it for you and need the artwork I can post the files...  let me know.

TaylorBalbi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2012, 09:07:42 pm
« Reply #174 on: May 30, 2012, 08:14:24 pm »
Beautiful end-product Unstupid. Do you think you'd be able to answer some questions for me. I recently dug up a Neo Geo MV-1C myself and decided to do a bartop.

I currently have almost everything I need, but I'm stuck at the wiring. I have a Happ Power Pro Power Switch and an EFI Switch as well as a JAMMA harness. Any chance you could walk me through how you wired your system up to power? I'd like to test my setup before building the enclosure (want to test a few monitors first).

What I have:
Neo Geo MV-1C
161-in-1 Catridge
1 Joystick
6 Button (red, yellow, green, blue, white[player 1 start], coin button)
JAMMA Harness
CGAtoVGA converter (same one you have)
Happ Power Switch (Looks to be the same as yours)

This is my first time doing anything involving hooking up power that didn't include a molex connector and I'd rather not mess it up :)

You can e-mail me at taylor@bioware.com

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #175 on: May 30, 2012, 08:24:30 pm »
Beautiful end-product Unstupid. Do you think you'd be able to answer some questions for me. I recently dug up a Neo Geo MV-1C myself and decided to do a bartop.

I currently have almost everything I need, but I'm stuck at the wiring. I have a Happ Power Pro Power Switch and an EFI Switch as well as a JAMMA harness. Any chance you could walk me through how you wired your system up to power? I'd like to test my setup before building the enclosure (want to test a few monitors first).

What I have:
Neo Geo MV-1C
161-in-1 Catridge
1 Joystick
JAMMA Harness

This is my first time doing anything involving hooking up power that didn't include a molex connector and I'd rather not mess it up :)

It's pretty straight forward... The jamma harness should have 3(or 4) wires coming off fd it that are a little thicker than the rest... those go to the power supply.  Red goes to the +5v, Yellow to the +12v, and Black to the Ground.  If there is a blue one it usually goes to the -5v but that's not needed with the MV-1C so you can leave it disconnected.  As far as power into the power supply you should have 3 wires coming from the cord you plug into the wall.  2 are AC and 1 is Field Ground (FG).  Those plug into the power supply where it is labeled.  You'll probably want to put some type of switch in line on the AC so that you can power it off when not in use....

TaylorBalbi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2012, 09:07:42 pm
« Reply #176 on: May 30, 2012, 08:53:47 pm »

What I have:
Neo Geo MV-1C
161-in-1 Catridge
1 Joystick
JAMMA Harness

It's pretty straight forward... The jamma harness should have 3(or 4) wires coming off fd it that are a little thicker than the rest... those go to the power supply.  Red goes to the +5v, Yellow to the +12v, and Black to the Ground.  If there is a blue one it usually goes to the -5v but that's not needed with the MV-1C so you can leave it disconnected.  As far as power into the power supply you should have 3 wires coming from the cord you plug into the wall.  2 are AC and 1 is Field Ground (FG).  Those plug into the power supply where it is labeled.  You'll probably want to put some type of switch in line on the AC so that you can power it off when not in use....

Great thanks! This will help me with my anxiety of hooking it up wrong :) I'll start a new thread for the project once I have it testable.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #177 on: May 31, 2012, 08:22:53 am »
Great job Unstupid!!
I like the ability to connect the two together for player 2.
Good video too, however I cringed every time you moved the machine. (Scraping nails on a chalkboard never bothered me, but the sound of the foot pads rubbing that glass table... ouch!) LOL.
Outstanding work man, both machines turned out looking great and very professional.
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #178 on: June 01, 2012, 04:00:25 pm »
Great job Unstupid!!
I like the ability to connect the two together for player 2.
Good video too, however I cringed every time you moved the machine. (Scraping nails on a chalkboard never bothered me, but the sound of the foot pads rubbing that glass table... ouch!) LOL.
Outstanding work man, both machines turned out looking great and very professional.
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Thanks Old Man!  Sorry about the audio torture!

soontobeawesome

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 27, 2012, 12:57:35 am
« Reply #179 on: June 23, 2012, 01:42:23 am »
Can you please make more and sell them? How much would you sell one for?

mike boss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
« Reply #180 on: June 25, 2012, 07:04:09 am »
WOW ! AMAZING !

They look great, can't say enuff good things.
Simply awesome.

This site inspires me and makes me want to expand my collection !

Awesome stuff

bytestorm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2020, 09:09:49 am
  • Arcade collector from sweden!
« Reply #181 on: November 11, 2012, 06:03:03 am »
Hi! I am mighty impressed by your work! Hands down the best neo geo bartop i have ever seen! I could not pm you for some reason, but could you please send the artwork files used for the cab? CP, marqee, sideart etc.. and also what type of material it is printed on and where you got it done? I would be so happy if you could help me so i can start building one of my own as soon as possible!! Best Regards from sweden / Stefan

nordkvist.stefan@gmail.com

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #182 on: November 11, 2012, 01:20:03 pm »
Hi! I am mighty impressed by your work! Hands down the best neo geo bartop i have ever seen! I could not pm you for some reason, but could you please send the artwork files used for the cab? CP, marqee, sideart etc.. and also what type of material it is printed on and where you got it done? I would be so happy if you could help me so i can start building one of my own as soon as possible!! Best Regards from sweden / Stefan

Thanks,  the artwork was printed by basement arcade grafx but I think that the guy running it has closed up shop.  The sideart and CP were printed with an emerytex laminate overlay but I'm sure others have something similar... Check with game on graphics....  I'll try and get you the artwork files.  My old laptop took a dump so ill see if I had them backed up somewhere...

bytestorm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #183 on: November 11, 2012, 03:01:13 pm »

Thanks,  the artwork was printed by basement arcade grafx but I think that the guy running it has closed up shop.  The sideart and CP were printed with an emerytex laminate overlay but I'm sure others have something similar... Check with game on graphics....  I'll try and get you the artwork files.  My old laptop took a dump so ill see if I had them backed up somewhere...

Thank for the info! hmm too bad about the laptop.. I thought I read in some post that someone else also wanted the artwork.. maybe I could try there too.. But please see if you can find it.
I will try and locate any place who could process the parts for me... Otherwise I guess the good ol saw will have to do ;(

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #184 on: November 11, 2012, 06:21:51 pm »
Thanks,  the artwork was printed by basement arcade grafx but I think that the guy running it has closed up shop.

They did shut down :angry:, but Firebat138, the graphic artist who used to work wih him, is still on the forums and mght be able to dig up the files.

Scott

Cable Tech

• Offline Offline
« Reply #185 on: November 11, 2012, 07:15:48 pm »
Hey Unstupid,

Long time talkin to ya!. Here is a pic of my Bartop cabinet using your design!! I hope you like it.

I've got to get a monitor mounted and install the computer but other than that i'm almost finished. Thanks again for all your help on my build.

bytestorm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #186 on: November 12, 2012, 12:00:59 am »
Thanks,  the artwork was printed by basement arcade grafx but I think that the guy running it has closed up shop.

They did shut down :angry:, but Firebat138, the graphic artist who used to work wih him, is still on the forums and mght be able to dig up the files.

Scott

Thanks!! I sent him a pm.. lets hope for the best :)

bytestorm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #187 on: November 12, 2012, 12:28:09 am »
BTW, Unstupid, whats the thickness of the laminated MDF you are using? I thought I could start buying the parts for now atleast :)

Thanks!

By the way.. the more I watch this thread, the more I realize I will need 2 units... hahaha

BUT... and thats a quite big BUT... I reallyreallyreally want to try and put "shortneck" 14" crt inside.. I wonder if thats possible.....

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #188 on: November 12, 2012, 12:37:34 am »
I used 3/4" laminated combicore... Also I did the artwork myself and never sent it to firebat138.  I haven't really looked for the artwork yea.. Just jot home from golfing.

bytestorm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #189 on: November 12, 2012, 01:28:20 am »
I used 3/4" laminated combicore... Also I did the artwork myself and never sent it to firebat138.  I haven't really looked for the artwork yea.. Just jot home from golfing.

Oh :)
I really hope you have a backup of this masterpiece artwork :)

thanks in advance for looking m8! :notworthy:

best regards Stefan

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #190 on: November 12, 2012, 02:11:08 am »
I found it... There really is not that much to it.... Just the regular snk logos and stripy things...  I converted to jpg from psd so it would be easier to download.... It's really high res so its still pretty big... 4gb something... Download it here:  http://www.unstupid.com/myimages/neogeoartwork.zip

bytestorm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #191 on: November 12, 2012, 02:53:37 am »
I found it... There really is not that much to it.... Just the regular snk logos and stripy things...  I converted to jpg from psd so it would be easier to download.... It's really high res so its still pretty big... 4gb something... Download it here:  http://www.unstupid.com/myimages/neogeoartwork.zip

Thank you!!!

This is going to be so awesome!
Just found a source for black laminated MDF 3/4" also!
The hardest part will be to find a company willing to mill me some units...

Also, Behr Grenadine... could not find any type in sweden matching, but the colourcode in the jpeg should do??

Worst case, I will buy tools and do my best by hand... but the fancy speaker grills will probably have to go then.. :( and the perfectionist I am
that would be really sad..

WOW 4gb??? But these high quality JPEG´s should be enough to send the printing company i think.
Thou I wonder how big they would be if RARéd at max?

Thanks once again for all help!!

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
Bartop Neo-Geo System ***FINISHED*** Video Uploaded
« Reply #192 on: November 13, 2012, 01:33:36 am »
I found some great speakers and grills that would be perfect for the cab.  Google Visaton FRS8.  When i was building the cab i couldnt find small (>4") speaker grills, which is why i had to cut the grills into the speaker panel.  If I had to do it all again I'd use the FRS8 speakers and corresponding grills.  Also that red in the jpg files is not close to the actual red.... You should really visit your local paint store and grab a bunch of swatches and take em to an actual machine and match em up as much as possible.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 01:36:08 am by Unstupid »

bytestorm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #193 on: November 13, 2012, 01:48:29 am »
I found some great speakers and grills that would be perfect for the cab.  Google Visaton FRS8.  When i was building the cab i couldnt find small (>4") speaker grills, which is why i had to cut the grills into the speaker panel.  If I had to do it all again I'd use the FRS8 speakers and corresponding grills.  Also that red in the jpg files is not close to the actual red.... You should really visit your local paint store and grab a bunch of swatches and take em to an actual machine and match em up as much as possible.

Nice! I just found the speakers here in sweden! They are really cheap also :) should i buy 4 or 8 ohms?
About the red color... I dont have any machine to match it with.. :( So a comparison will be difficult.

Havent actually seen a regular mvs cab here in sweden at all... only electrocoins and candys. hmm...
Maybe someone has the correct colourcode here on the forums?

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #194 on: November 14, 2012, 05:20:53 pm »
depend on the amp you are using.... If you are going with real Neo hardware then use 8ohm....  check out the forum at neo-geo.com i think I seen the paint codes listed there in the past.... not sure how accurate they are or if they are paint type/retailer specific.

Cable Tech

• Offline Offline
« Reply #195 on: December 18, 2012, 08:53:34 pm »
If I had to do it all again I'd use the FRS8 speakers and corresponding grills.

Hey Unstupid thanks for the tip!  I order from Parts Express all the time. I just ordered the speakers and grills. Will take pics when I get them installed.

bytestorm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #196 on: December 20, 2012, 12:04:51 pm »
depend on the amp you are using.... If you are going with real Neo hardware then use 8ohm....  check out the forum at neo-geo.com i think I seen the paint codes listed there in the past.... not sure how accurate they are or if they are paint type/retailer specific.

Hmm I am going to use a 14" crt in my bartop. Is there any good way to shield these speakers? I thought I d buy a couple of them this weekend, but I am worried that they will distort my crt in such a small space bartop? Any thoughts?

ric_rock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2014, 02:34:18 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #197 on: November 02, 2013, 08:08:00 am »
Hi,

I would like to thanks Unstupid (excellent job) for the project, and show my version (parcial results) of a Bartop NeoGeo:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,114435.0.html

I edited the project to use 2 players. Basically, I expand the size to have 20´´ (instead 16 of the original) using the SketchUp and the monitor has 19´´ in format 5x4.

I hope you enjoy.

Excuse my poor english, I´m writing from Brazil.

Ricardo

ric_rock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #198 on: November 03, 2013, 12:04:40 pm »

CthulhuLuke

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 06:42:43 pm
  • old school
    • CthulhuLuke's Arcade Parodius

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
Re: Unstupid's Bartop Neo-Geo System - Update 3 years in the making...
« Reply #201 on: February 01, 2014, 09:22:16 pm »
So I haven't done much with these machines in over 3 years because I been too busy making cocktail tables.  Well I had some inspiration and an idea.  I should be done later tonight (tomorrow for you peeps since I live in the past) Here are the cut parts.  Can you guess what it is?

• Offline Offline
Re: Unstupid's Bartop Neo-Geo System - The 3 year update...
« Reply #202 on: February 01, 2014, 09:59:04 pm »
call me crazy but it almost looks like a stand/pedestal...

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #203 on: February 01, 2014, 10:34:50 pm »
First thing that jumped in my mind was an 80's/90's macintosh.

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #204 on: February 02, 2014, 04:18:25 pm »
You are crazy, and correct!  Up until today the main cab has been sitting on a Dora the Explorer table.  I recently moved it to my sons room, but he was against the table so I decided to make a custom stand for him that would still look like a real Neo-Geo.  This is what I came up with:

I here's the stand itself.  I added the coin door so that I could get access inside the cab and fill it with weights if necessary.  Also my son can use it as a piggy bank, or a lock box to hide things from his sister.
More Pictures:

It's a little small to play standing up, even smaller than the real Neo Geo 2-13!

But he likes to sit down and play anyways!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #205 on: February 02, 2014, 04:20:42 pm »
You know, that's the first bartop pedestal stand I've ever seen done RIGHT. Excellent job!  :cheers:

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #206 on: February 02, 2014, 05:44:32 pm »
Yeah, that's kickass. :cheers:

• Offline Offline
« Reply #207 on: February 02, 2014, 05:52:16 pm »
You are crazy, and correct!  Up until today the main cab has been sitting on a Dora the Explorer table.  I recently moved it to my sons room, but he was against the table so I decided to make a custom stand for him that would still look like a real Neo-Geo.  This is what I came up with:

But he likes to sit down and play anyways!

I'm sooo Jealous now  :hissy:

great job as usual.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2022, 02:21:38 pm
« Reply #208 on: February 03, 2014, 05:29:14 am »
Looks really nice!

How stable is it? It looks as if you just put the bartop on pedestal, or did you actually fix the two together?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #209 on: February 03, 2014, 08:39:58 am »
thats pretty great.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #210 on: February 03, 2014, 11:49:26 am »
Thanks guys!
How stable is it? It looks as if you just put the bartop on pedestal, or did you actually fix the two together?
It's very stable!  The base and the bartop are actually screwed together.  Being built with 3/4 inch combicore and with the coindoor the thing weighs what feels like 50 pounds.  I also flared the thing out a few inches in the front (see metal kick plate) just to add a bit more stability and to keep it from tipping forward, although it probably would have been stable even without it!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #211 on: February 03, 2014, 11:53:45 am »
Again, looks great. Usually, a pedestal for a bartop looks like an afterthough, but that really integrates well.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2022, 02:21:38 pm
« Reply #212 on: February 03, 2014, 02:59:04 pm »
Again, looks great. Usually, a pedestal for a bartop looks like an afterthough, but that really integrates well.

That's because most people tend to make a full size stand for a small bartop, whereas with this one the stand is proportional to the bartop.  :applaud:

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #213 on: February 04, 2014, 07:22:19 pm »
True!  It would have been nice to build a 30" pedestal for the bartop which would allow me to stand up and play it, but after overlaying a line drawing of a 4-25 v2 cab (my favorite) I realized to make it look proportional I could only go with a 18" pedestal. 

My Favorite!

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #214 on: February 05, 2014, 03:10:24 am »
Looks really good!  :applaud:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #215 on: February 05, 2014, 09:45:14 am »
True!  It would have been nice to build a 30" pedestal for the bartop which would allow me to stand up and play it, but after overlaying a line drawing of a 4-25 v2 cab (my favorite) I realized to make it look proportional I could only go with a 18" pedestal. 

My Favorite!

I'm glad you did that. Others would have said "Screw it!" and would have done a 30" and ended up with something really odd looking. Rep for you.  :cheers:

subalot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2016, 08:17:05 am
« Reply #216 on: February 14, 2014, 11:31:01 am »
 jo unstupid!

:drool amazing lookin pice of art! Impressive.

i was wondering if u could provide the files of the sideart as well. i would like to rebuild one of these 4 my gameroom-i was hooked when i found this thread 2 month ago...(or did i miss a link somwhere in the thread?)

thanx 4 sharing your work:-)

hav a nice one over there,

cheers

sub

JimmyU

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:38:09 am
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #217 on: February 16, 2014, 06:20:39 pm »
That's some fine work Unstupid.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #218 on: February 16, 2014, 06:50:53 pm »
i was wondering if u could provide the files of the sideart as well.

Welcome aboard, Subalot.

If you're looking for artwork, there's a list of sites here that might have what you're looking for.   :cheers:

Scott

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #219 on: February 16, 2014, 08:06:01 pm »
That is friggin' fantastic!  It looks so good on that pedestal!  :applaud:

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #220 on: February 19, 2014, 07:55:31 pm »
i was wondering if u could provide the files of the sideart as well. i would like to rebuild one of these 4 my gameroom-i was hooked when i found this thread 2 month ago...(or did i miss a link somwhere in the thread?)
The artwork died with one of my computers a couple years ago...  Although, you should have no problem recreating using the links subalot posted earlier.  Only one youll have a problem with is the "S" in the square before the SNK...  For somereason it is not available anywhere.
That is friggin' fantastic!  It looks so good on that pedestal!  :applaud:
Thanks Man! ;)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #221 on: February 20, 2014, 02:13:27 am »
Only one youll have a problem with is the "S" in the square before the SNK...  For somereason it is not available anywhere.

I think Joymonkey has it here on his paysite.

"Neo Geo System SNK Sideart" preview thumbnail

Scott

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #222 on: February 20, 2014, 07:17:48 pm »
Here are some good ones too: http://www.thesupergun.com/tools/neo-geo-side-art-decals/attachment/neo-geo-logos/

Too bad they weren't around 3 years ago... would have made my life a lot easier! :D

subalot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2016, 08:17:05 am
« Reply #223 on: March 02, 2014, 03:10:45 pm »
hey!

bro, thanx 4 the welcom ;D

i´ll hav a l00k at them linx too...thanx 4 the referral...appreciate that!

wish ya  nice one out ther :cheers:

ric_rock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #224 on: March 03, 2014, 10:26:30 pm »
Hi, Unstupid

Very cool! Awesome!

I like to share my project on this topic because it is a copy of your arcade, with the difference that it is for 2 players ...

There are still some details, such as sound and light.

I hope you enjoy and comment.

Unstupid, thanks again for sharing your thoughts. The bartop is doing successfully at home.

"http://www.flickr.com/photos/21502808@N05/sets/72157635076583834/

Have a nice day.
Ricardo

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #225 on: March 03, 2014, 11:36:22 pm »
Hi, Unstupid

Very cool! Awesome!

I like to share my project on this topic because it is a copy of your arcade, with the difference that it is for 2 players ...

There are still some details, such as sound and light.

I hope you enjoy and comment.

Unstupid, thanks again for sharing your thoughts. The bartop is doing successfully at home.

"http://www.flickr.com/photos/21502808@N05/sets/72157635076583834/

Have a nice day.
Ricardo

Cool... Looks nice... but... Red, Yellow, Green, Blue!  :D

BlueScreenTT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2014, 02:47:40 am
« Reply #226 on: March 13, 2014, 08:28:00 am »
Just brilliant !
want to make a set my self   however i'm missing a vital part
how did you do the connection between the 2 consoles
is there a wireing diagram ?
in the video you say they are identical on the inside   
but i cant find any info on the net to link up 2 MVS boards  or did you only link up the video, sound and buttons

Greets
Thomas

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #227 on: March 13, 2014, 07:02:37 pm »
Im a bit late, but I also have to say it anyway. That's a very nice stand for your bartop! In fact, while we know it's made from two pieces, most people will assume it's a single-piece mini-cabinet.

I'm still jealous of your huge industrial CNC though.  :lol

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #228 on: March 14, 2014, 04:30:02 am »
Just brilliant !
want to make a set my self   however i'm missing a vital part
how did you do the connection between the 2 consoles
is there a wireing diagram ?
in the video you say they are identical on the inside   
but i cant find any info on the net to link up 2 MVS boards  or did you only link up the video, sound and buttons

Greets
Thomas
They are only physically identical.  The main (player 1) cab houses the MVS board and the Gonbes cga-VGA encoder.  Threw Gonbes has dual VGA output so one went to the screen in the player 1cab, the other went to the player 2 cab via the 25 pin connector.  The stereo audio and the joystick inputs were wired to the 25 pin connector as well. 

On another note, you can actually link up MVS boards (well not the boards but the cartridges),  there are 2 games that had what looked like headphone jacks on the cartridge.  Riding hero and league bowling.  League bowling would even allow you to daisy chain up to 4 cartridges for 8 player simultaneous play.  Not real net to your build... Just a fun fact!

BlueScreenTT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #229 on: March 14, 2014, 07:09:11 pm »
That was what i suspected
I couldn't find any info on other linking than the cartridge linking  also i thought there was to boards  not just one     
but with only one board it makes it alot easier !
hoped you had done some serious hacking :-)
Thanks for the answer !
now i just have to get the parts  and im totaly using your cad files  just love the form on the cabs

did you make any files for the stand ?
Greets
Thomas

BlueScreenTT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #230 on: March 18, 2014, 06:02:59 pm »
your build got me sooo inspired i just couldent wait
had to get my own  so today i got this one

im still building a copy of your bartops when i can get the cad files to work
about that  could you please post back what scale i should use for the files
Greets
Thomas

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #231 on: March 19, 2014, 02:11:39 pm »
Not sure about the scale thing.  I usually work in inches, but if sounds like you are printing out in millimeters.  Try scaling everything by 25.4 before you print.

BlueScreenTT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #232 on: March 19, 2014, 04:02:59 pm »
im printing it in what ever is needet for it to work !
we tryed 1:1 (printed the files as is)  but they were only about an inch in total 
so either i dont know my way around cad or im using the wrong program or it is all about the scaling ! ??
what size did you make the plans in  or is it scale(less)

Greets
Thomas

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #233 on: March 19, 2014, 04:18:21 pm »
I didn't provide plans... I did provide a 3d model.  I don't print plans when I make stuff.  3d model -> cam software -> cnc router. 

BlueScreenTT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #234 on: March 24, 2014, 12:19:42 pm »
ahh   maybe that is the problem !  as i said  im not good with cad ! :-)
Thanks again

BlueScreenTT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #235 on: March 31, 2014, 02:17:56 pm »
Ok  one last question
what programs did you make the files in ?
and what program did you use to make the gcodes for the router

(just got me a 3 axis router)
Then ill never bother you again :-)

Greets
Thomas

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #236 on: March 31, 2014, 08:03:46 pm »
I built the 3d model in Rhino3D, and I used Mastercam to generate the g-codes for our router.  Rhino 3D is pretty cheap, around $1,000, but the version of Mastercam Router/5-axis that we use cost around $20,000. 

No worry about bothering me,  I like answering questions re. the bartop neo geo.   :D

BlueScreenTT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #237 on: April 02, 2014, 12:55:42 pm »
Thank you    ill give it a try
Greets
Thomas

BlueScreenTT

• Offline Offline

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #239 on: April 21, 2014, 06:37:12 pm »
isnt this your design ??
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEOGEO-MVS-THEMED-BARTOP-ARCADE-MACHINE-1-PLAYER-FLATPACK-KIT-HYPERSPIN-MAME-/161266445819?pt=UK_Video_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ&hash=item258c3aadfb

Actually, I think it is based off of Harumans' NeoGeo bar top that he mentioned he was doing in this thread here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,130522.msg1365414.html#msg1365414 .   I wouldn't say he stole that from me though... It may look similar, but there is all kinds of wrong with that kit!

BlueScreenTT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #240 on: April 26, 2014, 02:40:38 pm »
ok

SirRey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2021, 05:30:30 pm
« Reply #241 on: September 09, 2014, 04:55:15 pm »
Fantastic Build.  I was going to try my hand at one of these and this would be my first build.   In your first post I saw your list of parts inside the cabinet but your video shows quite a bit more in the cabinet than you list out.   Do you have a list of whats in it and maybe better photos of the inside? I see a wiring Block and still trying to figure out what JAMMA boards you are using. 

Thanks
Ray

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #242 on: September 09, 2014, 05:21:33 pm »
isnt this your design ??
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEOGEO-MVS-THEMED-BARTOP-ARCADE-MACHINE-1-PLAYER-FLATPACK-KIT-HYPERSPIN-MAME-/161266445819?pt=UK_Video_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ&hash=item258c3aadfb

Actually, I think it is based off of Harumans' NeoGeo bar top that he mentioned he was doing in this thread here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,130522.msg1365414.html#msg1365414 .   I wouldn't say he stole that from me though... It may look similar, but there is all kinds of wrong with that kit!

Yeah that guy...  he copied my design, down to where I placed the vent holes.  I've seen that before   ::)

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #243 on: September 09, 2014, 05:36:57 pm »
Yeah that guy...  he copied my design, down to where I placed the vent holes.  I've seen that before   ::)

And "your design" was a complete rip off of the real thing.  So congrats on your ingenuity.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #244 on: September 09, 2014, 06:21:04 pm »
GOTTA

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #245 on: September 11, 2014, 07:31:30 am »
And "your design" was a complete rip off of the real thing.  So congrats on your ingenuity.

Hey, it's not a complete rip-off. In fact, it looks nothing like the real thing. (There you go, Haruman. I'm lookin' out for ya, buddy!)

>:D

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #246 on: September 14, 2014, 03:23:17 am »
I see a wiring Block and still trying to figure out what JAMMA boards you are using. 

The Jamma Board is a Neo Geo MV1C.  It's the single slot top load cartridge board.  The wiring block is just to distribute 110v, 12v and 15v to everything that needs it.  Everything I listed is in there, nothing more.

SirRey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2021, 05:30:30 pm
« Reply #247 on: September 19, 2014, 01:13:18 pm »

Are you using a standard Jamma Harness with this? Sorry.. First Build and learning all I can about the Neo-Geo's.

Ray

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #248 on: September 20, 2014, 05:49:31 pm »
Yes, I'm using a regular jamma harness.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #249 on: September 23, 2014, 10:15:37 pm »
I gotta stop leaving for weeks on end... That pedestal base is ---smurfing--- cool.  :applaud:

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #250 on: September 25, 2014, 10:45:27 pm »
I gotta stop leaving for weeks on end... That pedestal base is ---smurfing--- cool.  :applaud:
Thx man!

rohan_king2003

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2015, 01:36:02 am
« Reply #251 on: January 28, 2015, 05:15:32 am »
Is there a 2-player overlay panel for this? I love this build :D

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
« Reply #252 on: February 05, 2015, 02:12:43 pm »
Is there a 2-player overlay panel for this? I love this build :D
I never built one.  The control panel was too narrow to fit 2 players.  Also, the whole reason I built the second cab was for the second player.  Also I can plug in a gamepad or fightstick if I want to do 2 players.