Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Purple MAME ..... name change.... was UV MAME  (Read 10122 times)

madmatt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2015, 08:47:54 am
Purple MAME ..... name change.... was UV MAME
« on: September 05, 2011, 05:41:14 pm »
Hello,

I know I should have started this log about a year ago, but it's better late then never.

For the past 10 years I want to build/buy an arcade machine.  I live in a little town with no access to arcade
machines since 2001; (we had an small arcade at my locate mall, but it was taken out by a hurricane Katrina).

Anyway, one day my friend ("Steve") found two Tempest cabs. and was nice to give me one.

My cab was in bad shape.
- no motherboard
- no power supply
- burnt monitor
- no cp.   :angry:
- side art was pretty crappy
- and no back door.

+ the wood was in ok shape
+ Free
+ marquee was good

So, I decided to make it my first MAME machine. :applaud:  

Happy! Happy!  Joy!  Joy!

MM

Part 2

First was the hardware:

Old computer : p4, 2Gigs of ram , 80gig harddrive, and old Voodoo 4 AGP
Monitor:         LCD 19" Dell
Arcade CP:   X-gamings Tankstick; ( i know some hate on the Tankstick but it a good place for beginnings to start)
Other items:  two N64 controls and usb adapter.

Second was software:

Windows 2000 pro with MAME .109 and roms, nes, snes, GBA, Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Game Gear, Lynxx, TG16, atari 2600, 7800, and N64.  With M.A. running everything on-top.

After several month i came to the conclusion that Windows 2000 pro and M.A. don't play together well. :banghead:

So I upgrade the computer to windows xp with AMD +3500, 1.5 Gigs of ram, Nvidia 7600GS, cooling fans,
and WD 1TB SATA harddrive.  This work much better.  

Still not perfect.  No matter what I did, the Tankstick did not play nicely with M.A.  I hooked the stick via a usb-hub, NO!  Via usb on the back of the tower, NO!!  Via PS/2 and mouse port, NO!!! :banghead: :banghead:
M.A. would see the stick and all button and then stop working randomly. :angry:
The only solution I found was to hook-up an old Logitech usb gamepad and control ALL functions of M.A. with it.  This has worked perfect.....more or less  :laugh:

Part 3

Another one of my friends help me cut the cab a bit and add a deep draw to drop my Tankstick into.
It came out good.  It's a little bit off-center, but it's hard to tell when you are playing.

I dragged it outside...... filled in holes with wood putty, sanded the HELL out of it, primed and painted; two coats of flat black.

In addition I added a sub- frame and wheel to make my life a little easier.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:26:18 pm by madmatt »

portugese pirate

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2019, 05:51:25 pm
Re: My first try.... UV Mame
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 08:26:12 pm »
check the maximus section.....there is a work around for the tank stick...............wish mameseer comeback to solve all these lil problems......also wish xgaming could come up with solutions for various emulators with the the alt and shift problems

madmatt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 08:55:52 pm »
I did try some work arounds.... but adding another controller worked best for me.

MM

P.S.  I wish they would come out with an update to M.A.  But I know that is not going to happen since it is pretty much dead.  :(
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 06:05:24 am by madmatt »

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 09:18:38 am »
you could get a keyboard (ipac 2) or joystick encoder (gpwiz), and rewire your tankstick - $40 would solve your controls problems.   

madmatt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 10:41:53 pm »
Part 4:

After painting, i ripped out all the old T-molding and replaced it with nice, new 3/4" purple molding from T-molding.com.  The only place that I found
that had purple, not blue, but real, dark purple.  I think it looks great against the black. 

Lighting:

I wanted this cab to glow purple (UV).  So, i bought 4 sets on 12" UV CC lights (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811989010). 
Next, I lined the bottom of the cab with tint-fold and attached all 8 pieces via wire guides.  ( I tried velcro and that didn't work)  I managed to send all wiring into the bottom of the cab though one small hole.  All lights are powered by a hacked 400 watt pc psu controlled via switch.  This gave me the glow that I was wanting. The uv light makes a 1' purple circle around the base of the cabs.  Nothing crazy but a nice glow.  It's very hard to see in pictures.... but i promise it's there.(I will try to post some pics soon of the glow.)  Keeping with the UV color, I bought some UV colored led "lazers" that I mounted under the CP.(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811994017)  I thought is would make the under-side of the CP glow..... but i was wrong. :hissy:

But it does turn my paints glow purple!! :laugh2:

The last bit of UV I added was two 24" black lights to the back of the cab.  So, when placed against a wall it will produce a nice, large purple glow.  This may sound a little crazy, a little flashy; but it's not.  It's smooth and soft lighting... to have an overall feeling that you stepped back into an 80's arcade without redoing my whole room.  (Again, I will try to post pics soon)

Side note:  I don't remember if I stated it but I did away with the LCD monitor for an old school 20" CRT.  Just couldn't do it after all the slams on LCD..... which I agree with mostly.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:06:56 pm by madmatt »

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 11:13:56 pm »
And you can get a tan while you work on your skills!

Need pics though!

madmatt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 10:25:16 pm »
Has of late, I've been going through the games and testing each on out.  Man what a pain in the  :censored:!!!

I've done:
32x
Sega CD
Pocket Neo Geo (or whatever it's real name is)
Lynx
and Nebula. 

Testing takes sooo much damn time.................  :banghead:  Oh well, i guess it's my "labor of love."  ;D

I also re mapped all the games in Nebula so i could use my bottom button on my Tankstick to have a true Neo Geo button layout; so much easier to fight in Samurai Shodown and KOF.

I also had to add a second power strip to the cab; man do I have alot of crap to plug in.

:dunno  I was going to post some more pics today, but ran out of time.  Will try for tomorrow

MM   Out.

P.S.  Thanks for reading.  Hopefully I can teach someone something....... :cheers:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:27:27 pm by madmatt »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 09:01:11 am »
Pocket Neo Geo (or whatever it's real name is)

Neo Geo Pocket and Neo Geo Pocket Color.

I have one, it rules.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

madmatt

• Offline Offline
Re: Purple MAME ..... name change.... was UV MAME
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 10:12:03 am »
Update.....

I decided to add a Dreamcast to my cab via a "vga box" and KVM switch.  I know.. I know... there are
emulations but there are a pain in the  :angry:( my feelings only). Also, Disc Juggles is great.

I've finally take more pics and will post later today.

Game testing N64 as we speak.

MM
Out

madmatt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 09:54:40 pm »
Ok here are some pictures.

So first pic is the cab painted, T-molded, and wheels.

Second close up of the front.... I need to add bezal soon.

Third.... purple leds at the waist level and bottom.

Forth and Five... back of the cab.

Sixth... kinda blurry.  I was trying to catch the glow of the black lights.  I need to try again with a tripod.

More to come

MM

out
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 09:56:45 pm by madmatt »

madmatt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 10:36:26 pm »
Update....

Finished game checking for now. 

Add dreamcast to cab via Dreamcast DV VGA box and KVM switch. 

My problem is the KVM switch will not work unless both items( computer and dreamcast) are powered on.
Meaning, I have to leave the power to my Dreamcast on even when I'm just using the computer.  :banghead:  :angry: :badmood: 

So, what should I do people???  Should I  leave the Dreamcast in and run it all the time or just not use it at all.   :dunno

I would like to run it, but I fear I would "burn it up" or something; I'm not sure how hardly the DC is.  I know the NES can run to Hell and back with no problem.... but this is a DC, it has lots of moving parts. :dizzy:

Thanks again for your input...

MM

Out

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 11:50:35 pm »
only hook the DC up when you want to use it.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

madmatt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 10:07:55 am »
I will try tonight.... but I doubt it.   :dunno

MM

out

Shun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2020, 06:57:33 pm
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 04:18:10 pm »
Update....

My problem is the KVM switch will not work unless both items( computer and dreamcast) are powered on.
Meaning, I have to leave the power to my Dreamcast on even when I'm just using the computer.  :banghead:  :angry: :badmood: 

What happens when the Dreamcast isn't powered on? Is it just the video that doesn't work or sound and input as well?
It doesn't sound like the KVM switch is working as it should do. Have you thought about returning it.
This is the one I have:

http://www.ebuyer.com/117146-belkin-switch2-2-ports-ps-2-kvm-switch-f1df102puk

I'm pretty sure they do a USB one.

My PC and Dreamcast are powered by a smart power strip. When the PC is switched on, the other plugs are then powered, however the Dreamcast won't turn on until I switch it on. The PC has to be on because of the smart strip but the Dreamcast can be powered independently.

I keep meaning to create a video of my cab in action showing how the cab switches between the Dreamcast and PC. I will post one on my project thread soon.
Work In Progress:
Two Phase Bartop With Flush Mounted Dreamcast. 75% Complete
Pac-Man Cabaret scratch build: & BYOAC Project thread

madmatt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 05:45:13 pm »
Shum

It's just the video.  I can hear my backround music from M.A. fine. 

I have thought about returning it... but I'm thinking that's how it is make.  I'm going to call IO tonight.

Malenko:  I did try disconnection the DC.. and it still don't work.  DAM IT!!   :banghead:

Thanks,

MM

out

madmatt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 03:02:04 pm »
SCORE!!!!!  I got it to work with the DC off.  Thanks to Debbie at IO Gear :applaud:, I needed to plug in the USB plugs; they supply the power to the switch.    All is good...... for now.

MM

out

madmatt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 07:13:49 am »
Hello people,

Sorry it's been some time since I had a chance to update my little log here.

Changed the orientation of my computer case.  I rotated the case 90 degs. so the front face
of the case is facing down and the back is straight up.  I'm keeping it in place with one small piece of wood
for now.   In the future I plan on making a back door and this will help with the air flow. greatly.

Took off the coin door and nuts, sanded them a little, with my palm sander, and spray painted them with
Rust-Oleum Hammered black.  I did about 4 layers, turned out pretty well.
   I added lighting to my coin door.  Thanks to http://retroblast.arcadecontrols.com/articles/coindoor.html it was
soooo easy.  Just ran the wires from my second psu to the door to a switch.

Well I'm out of time this morning, more to come.  Also, don't forget to look for my up coming project, Robocop Lives.

MM

Out :afro:

Dervacumen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2019, 10:11:11 pm
  • Home of Three Squares dice game
    • Beaker Games
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 01:43:50 pm »
This brings back memories.  I like what you've got going on here, I had a heck of a time fitting a monitor in my tempest-turned-MAME cabinet because of the slope.  There just wasn't a lot of room to fit anything.  Are you sticking with the X-arcade or are you going to build a custom control panel?  How are you attaching it?
Bringing to life a child's imagination.

madmatt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 08:50:27 pm »
Dervacumen,

Thanks for checking out my little project.  Fitting the monitor wasn't a problem after I "opened" the hole by
a few inches with my Jigsaw.  My next problem is how the hell to mount and fit the bezel?  If you don't mind
could you post some pictures of your MAMEed Tempest, so I can get a feel on how to mount the bezel.

X-arcade... yea yea I know.  I'm going to kept it for now.  It's not that bad, but it's not that great. 
Down the road I will rip it out and make a real custom control panel.  Right now I'm doing two restores...... so after those I'll think about it.

The X-arcade was attached by cutting the cab a little (around the former CP) and adding two pieces of 1/2" wood support to the side of the cab.  Not the best looking, but it's strong and stable.

Thanks again,

MM

OUT    :afro:

P.S.  Coming soon..... Robocop Lives in the restore section.

racecar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2012, 01:36:27 am
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 09:12:17 pm »
I Love my tankstick. But I have stripped it all out an use it to control my xbox an coinops  :)

Looking to somehow add my ps2 in there so I can have the adapter ready to play some tekken etc.

;D

Dervacumen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2019, 10:11:11 pm
  • Home of Three Squares dice game
    • Beaker Games
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 11:29:06 pm »
If you don't mind
could you post some pictures of your MAMEed Tempest, so I can get a feel on how to mount the bezel.

X-arcade... yea yea I know.  I'm going to kept it for now.  It's not that bad, but it's not that great. 

OUT    :afro:

P.S.  Coming soon..... Robocop Lives in the restore section.
I just made a crappy beveled $2 bezel from a piece of black poster board.  I can't find a pic, though.  If you search for $2 bezel you should see a thread with the info.  I taped it on, and it shows - but not bad under the smoked Plexiglas.  But when you're playing it makes no difference.  This is an old pic and I've learned since, but I still love this cabinet.

I started with an X-arcade.  Seriously, you're like my doppelganger or something weird.
Bringing to life a child's imagination.