Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Ideal Arcade Interface  (Read 3112 times)

Ron_Michallick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 30, 2023, 09:14:14 pm
  • MK64 has newer software, if you are interested.
    • MK64
The Ideal Arcade Interface
« on: June 20, 2002, 06:42:20 pm »
I'm working on the second generation MK product line.

Here's a sneak peek of the some of the features.

50 digital inputs
Supports two 12 position rotary switches using just 6 of the digital inputs
Supports two trackballs and two spinners.
Can hot switch EPROM keymap with  two RAM keymaps "instantly".
Connects to computer using a single USB cable.
I'm going to use screw terminals and may even use the ones that can be unplugged with out unscrewing every wire connection.

It's obviously not the ideal interface, yet. So what other features would you like to see added?  How much would you pay?

By the way, I'm selling my current inventory at very competitive pricing.

http://www.arcade66.homestead.com/files/
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

x-wing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2003, 10:40:37 pm
  • I Built My Own Arcade Controls!!
Re: The Ideal Arcade Interface
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2002, 08:18:46 pm »
First, I must say EXCELLENT!  I haven't had the opportunity to use your interfaces yet, but you may consider adding LED support if it isn't already included in your current interfaces.  I'm guessing that you already have this, but it was missing from your list.

As for the pricing....  I'd say 90% of the mame cab'ers fall into 2 categories:
1.) Basic - 2 joysticks, 6 action buttons or less each, and the regular P1/P2/Coin buttons.
2.) Extreme - Everything they can fit onto one (or multiple) control panel(s).
There's the occasional single stick project, cocktail, convert a jamma & add a trackball/spinner project, etc. but those are definitely the minority.

Obviously, your new interface will appeal more to the #2 type builder.  A combination of comparitively priced interface products that give the same/similar device controls puts you in the neighborhood of $180 or so.  I'm sure you've done your homework and are aware of what is already out there and what they sell for.

It's not likely that you can get your price down to where the #1 builders would be tempted to go with Ultimate Interface rather than a MK40 "just in case" they want to add more devices in the future (I'm sure there are those that would, but I believe them to be a great minority).  So, if you undercut this magic $180 number too much, you are just cutting your own throat, so to speak, and losing potential profit from the #2 builders.

On the flipside, if it is too much more than this $180 number, then the #2 builders will most likely go with separate interface components.  However, you are offering something nobody can compare to:  a single USB interface.  Now that is something that people may be willing to shell out some extra $ for.

I'm curious how a PC treats multiple devices using a single USB interface.  I mean, if two trackballs are connected/detected as a single USB device, can MAME distinguish between the two?  Would one be automatically assigned to P1 and the other to P2?  Would a special mame derivative/port be required, or would your interface take care of everything?  Ahhh, so many questions you have sparked in my mind!  :)

Great work, Ron!  I'm sure this will turn into nearly the longest thread on the message board so far.  :)

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2002, 02:21:41 am »
I'm curious how a PC treats multiple devices using a single USB interface.  I mean, if two trackballs are connected/detected as a single USB device, can MAME distinguish between the two?  Would one be automatically assigned to P1 and the other to P2?  Would a special mame derivative/port be required, or would your interface take care of everything?

Short answers: no, yes but can be changed (in derivative), yes, no because of OS limits.

Long answers to these questions:

First of all, standard (windows) mame can't tell the difference between multiple trackballs/spinners.  They are all assigned to player one.  Doesn't matter if it's USB, ps/2, or serial.

dMame can tell the difference between 2 serial trackballs/spinners or between 1 serial and 1 ps/2.  If you have the right drivers (and not a dos window run from windows).

My pet project, mame:Analog+, can tell the difference between two or more USB trackballs/spinners/mice if you have win98 or winMe, and directX 8 or higher.  

In winXP or win2000, Analog+ acts like standard mame: all mouse devices are seen as one device for player 1.  It doesn't work because of a microsoft OS "feature".

Back to win98/Me and Analog+:  It can see multiple mice attached to one USB hub most of the time.  It does on my hub, but I had one user have problems when he tried going through the hub he had.  (I assume the one USB connection is basically a hub connected to the other devices?)  

In Analog+, you can assign which player gets which trackball if you don't like the default.  The default is the one whose driver was installed in windows first gets player1, the USB mouse/trackball/spinner that was installed second get player2, installed third = player 3, etc.

Check out mame:Analog+ at http://www.urebelscum.speedhost.com/
Robin
Knowledge is Power

Nohup

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2010, 10:31:38 pm
  • This is taking longer than I thought
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2002, 09:08:43 pm »
I'd need more than 50 buttons, 72 would be the absolute minimum for me.

Home Grown

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2002, 09:29:19 pm »
I'd need more than 50 buttons, 72 would be the absolute minimum for me.

Heh... 72, that's a lot.  Are you really sure about that 72?  That's more than a 4 player cab needs.   ::)

If you really need that many, check out hagstrom electronics or possibly piggy-backing ipacs....

H.G. Kilo   8)