Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Betson Imperial 27" Multisync - It's been a while...  (Read 6051 times)

Banacek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2017, 05:01:31 pm
Betson Imperial 27" Multisync - It's been a while...
« on: August 24, 2011, 11:51:19 pm »
After moving one too many times, the PC in my cab started the death process. Instead of trying to find old pieces to replace I just decided to replace the entire computer. From my reading here I think that GroovyMAME is definitely the way I want to go, but I just want to make sure I have everything right. My system components:

Betson Imperial 27" Multisync monitor
ArcadeVGA 3000
i3/8 GB/Win7 x64

I have Win7 and the ArcadeVGA drivers installed. My questions:

1) Do I need to install anything else besides GroovyMAME? I also have the Tri-Sync utility installed.
2) I don't need to run any resolution ini generator tools, correct? GroovyMAME should work without them.
3) What command-line options should I use? What is the correct -monitor value for my monitor?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 04:15:37 pm by Calamity »

krick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
Re: It's been a while...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 11:54:13 pm »
I think that Windows XP x64 is still the best option for arcade cabinets.

I gave up on Windows 7 for my arcade monitor for two reasons...

1) Vector games like asteroids ran at half-speed.  There's something weird going on in Windows 7 where the refresh rate for interlaced resolutions gets reported at half what it should be.  I suspect it would affect all interlaced games, not just vector games.

2) Windows 7 has issues when switching between interlaced and non-interlaced resolutions as reported on the Ultimarc website...
http://www.ultimarc.com/avgainst.html
Important note about Windows 7

There is currently a known issue with Windows 7 switching between resolutions.

If the desktop is running at an interlaced resolution (eg 640 x 480 on a standard-res monitor), When any game which uses a non-interlaced res is started (which is pretty much any Mame game), an error resuts "Unable to initialize directdraw".

Note this only happens if the desktop is running at an interlaced res, which is the case when using a standard res monitor (not a multi-frequency monitor).

There is a workaround for this: Run the desktop at a non-interlaced res such as 640 x 288. This might mean using a front end which has a 640 x 288 mode such as Mamewah.

The resolution can be switched using the Quickres icon.

Note to Mame devs: This issue does not arise if D3D is selected. But owing to not being able to disable stretching in D3D in Mame this results in a poor quality picture.

It's possible that GroovyMAME can work around #2 by using D3D mode because I think they implement stretching differently, but I don't know of any way to fix issue #1.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

Banacek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 01:00:24 pm »
Thanks for the reply. That sucks about Win7. I had to buy a new copy of windows, so I just went with Win7 since it was much easier to pick up. I guess I'll have to figure out a way to downgrade...

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 04:41:06 pm »
As krick mentioned, there is that known problem that affects interlaced modes in Win7. My advice is to use XP64 for CRT stuff. However, if yours is a multisync monitor you might avoid using interlaced modes and stay with Win7.

1) Do I need to install anything else besides GroovyMAME? I also have the Tri-Sync utility installed.
2) I don't need to run any resolution ini generator tools, correct? GroovyMAME should work without them.
3) What command-line options should I use? What is the correct -monitor value for my monitor?

1) You just need GroovyMAME if you're using an AVGA3000 (modified drivers are just for normal ATI cards).
2) GroovyMAME should select the right modes without any ini generator tools.
3) Use the -video d3d in your case and -syncrefresh -soundsync if you want to have perfect scrolling/no sound stuttering.

I can't remember if anyone has already used that monitor with GroovyMAME. If you have any documentation on that specific monitor we'll try get the right values for it.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Banacek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 09:04:33 pm »
As krick mentioned, there is that known problem that affects interlaced modes in Win7. My advice is to use XP64 for CRT stuff. However, if yours is a multisync monitor you might avoid using interlaced modes and stay with Win7.

1) You just need GroovyMAME if you're using an AVGA3000 (modified drivers are just for normal ATI cards).
2) GroovyMAME should select the right modes without any ini generator tools.
3) Use the -video d3d in your case and -syncrefresh -soundsync if you want to have perfect scrolling/no sound stuttering.

I can't remember if anyone has already used that monitor with GroovyMAME. If you have any documentation on that specific monitor we'll try get the right values for it.

Awesome, thank you so much for all your help. I included the manual for the monitor (you need the adobe Korean font to read it). The model version is KT-2914. If you want me to give you any feedback about the monitor and GroovyMAME let me know and I will do it. Thanks again!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 08:11:17 am »
Awesome, thank you so much for all your help. I included the manual for the monitor (you need the adobe Korean font to read it). The model version is KT-2914. If you want me to give you any feedback about the monitor and GroovyMAME let me know and I will do it. Thanks again!

Fine, all the required info is in page 8 of the manual. I'll figure the monitor_specs line when I have some time. However, as long as you use the AVGA3000, GroovyMAME won't recalculate the modes (unless you use GroovyArcade Linux) so our custom specs wouldn't be used anyway. So you probably can use the D9800 settings by now: GroovyMAME will use the multisync capabilities of your monitor by properly picking the right modes for the resolutions above the 15KHz range.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Banacek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 11:13:35 am »

Fine, all the required info is in page 8 of the manual. I'll figure the monitor_specs line when I have some time. However, as long as you use the AVGA3000, GroovyMAME won't recalculate the modes (unless you use GroovyArcade Linux) so our custom specs wouldn't be used anyway. So you probably can use the D9800 settings by now: GroovyMAME will use the multisync capabilities of your monitor by properly picking the right modes for the resolutions above the 15KHz range.

Sweet, thanks so much.