Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How many buttons should I put on my control panel?  (Read 2101 times)

gms1975

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2022, 09:45:05 am
How many buttons should I put on my control panel?
« on: August 18, 2011, 04:46:43 pm »
I am planning on putting two joysticks each with four buttons and a trackball on my control panel.  I don't see playing street fighter too much.  Is there any other games I need more than four for?  I don't want the control panel to be overwhelmed with buttons, but if there is good reason to add another couple of buttons to each joystick then I might change my mind.  Thanks.

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
Re: How many buttons should I put on my control panel?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 08:24:41 pm »
I am planning on putting two joysticks each with four buttons and a trackball on my control panel.  I don't see playing street fighter too much.  Is there any other games I need more than four for?  I don't want the control panel to be overwhelmed with buttons, but if there is good reason to add another couple of buttons to each joystick then I might change my mind.  Thanks.

Outside of fighters, I don't think so. You can do a deluxe search on MAWS where you can set # of buttons to 5 and then 6 to see what you would be missing.
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

nitz

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 24, 2015, 07:57:29 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 10:38:12 pm »
If you don't play fighters, I wouldn't bother with more than 4 buttons. The only non-fighter games of note that I can think of that use more than 4 buttons are Defender and Stargate. And if you really wanted to play these games (or any other 5 or 6 button non 2 player simultaneous game) just map the extra buttons to the start buttons or player 2's buttons.

amendonz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2017, 04:33:57 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 10:51:26 pm »
I say go with 6. even if just for if friends come around and want to play street fighter or marvel series.

Crono22

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2014, 07:09:07 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 06:54:38 pm »
Same reason I put 6 on my bartop. I wanted to do 4 but when I mentioned the idea to buddies they all said what about SF etc.

nitz

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 24, 2015, 07:57:29 pm
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 11:35:12 pm »
I say go with 6. even if just for if friends come around and want to play street fighter or marvel series.

Same reason I put 6 on my bartop. I wanted to do 4 but when I mentioned the idea to buddies they all said what about SF etc.

Good point. Though I think it boils down to which would bug you more - not having the project exactly the way you want it, or having your friends be disappointed that they can't play Street Fighter (or whatever) when they come over. My opinion is, build the cab you want. If it's gonna bug you to have 6 buttons, don't do it for the odd time your friends play. Let them build their own damn cab. :lol ;)