Main > Software Forum

hard-diskless mame cab?

(1/2) > >>

Keith O.:
Is it possible to make a hard-diskless mame cab? My current set-up is Game Launcher/Mame/Dos. I think it would be neat to have everything on a cd-rom so I could use my hard disk elsewhere.

flemming:

--- Quote ---Is it possible to make a hard-diskless mame cab? My current set-up is Game Launcher/Mame/Dos. I think it would be neat to have everything on a cd-rom so I could use my hard disk elsewhere.
--- End quote ---

There is a project to make a bootable XMAME CD.  You can find more info on it at: http://www.phased.co.uk/xmame/

It's Linux based but it does answer your question.

Robert

u_rebelscum:

--- Quote ---Is it possible to make a hard-diskless mame cab? My current set-up is Game Launcher/Mame/Dos. I think it would be neat to have everything on a cd-rom so I could use my hard disk elsewhere.
--- End quote ---

Yes, but note that you won't be able to change any settings if you use a cd.  Just make sure you already have the mame.ini, cfg/*.cfg, and nvcfg.*cfg files setup as you want them before burning the cd.

The rest is getting the cd bootable, like previous post noted.  You can also burn bootable windows cds.  Look up  "bootable CD windows" on google, there are hundreds of sites.

StephenH:
Yes, its possible.  Create a bootable CD with your front-end, MAME, ROMs, DOS, and anything else you need in an auto boot configuration.  

The only issue is that you will not be able to save settings, high scores, battery RAM, NVRAM, or the like.

JMDickson:
Just for fun...
 How about using a DOC or a CF2IDE adaptor to store settings?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version