Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Small Tabletop cabinet "Arcade Classics"....lets call it done.  (Read 62937 times)

Vidiot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 10:00:17 am
  • John 3:16
Hey guys. I've always wanted to build a small cabinet. I snagged a 9" LCD portable DVD player on eBay for $23 which I am going to try and harvest the LCD for this project. I don't have a name for this cab. To be honest I'm just trying to keep it generic with some cool retro artwork. I was very inspired by DrChek's WeeCade "Minicade" cabinet and I used his design for the control panel.  So far it's going to be a single joystick with either 3 buttons or 2 buttons and a spinner. I haven't decided that part yet. The joystick I've selected is the Sanwa JLW-TM-8 with a red bubbletop ball top from Paradise Arcade. The buttons are red IL buttons which I will set up with ggg microleafs. I plan to use ggg Novagem Insert Coin button on the front. The admin buttons will consist of a Player1 Start button and a black button used for pause. Pressing them together will perform the Exit function. The dimensions have the control panel at 11" wide and the sides reach 14" at their highest point and 15" deep. At her heart she'll be powered by the ASRock E350M1/USB3 mini/ITX mobo/cpu courtesy of newegg. I've got 4GB of DDR3 and I'll be running Mala on a tinyXP installation. The real goal here is to play the oldschool classics and nothing too modern. I think that hardware should be more than enough for that feat.

You'll need to excuse my lack of photoshopping / sketchup skills. I made up some art to show the basic idea of my design.  I'll try to post updates as this progresses.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 09:43:42 pm by Vidiot »

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
Re: Tabletop vertical cabinet project started
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 07:01:42 pm »
Unless you don't have any friends, make that pause button a player 2 start.

This is a one-player bartop, I don't really see the need for a player 2 start button. In any case he barely has enough room for a joystick and three buttons, where would the player 2 controls be?

Unless you're thinking about an external control panel for player 2, in which case the start button would be on that external cp anyway.

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 07:53:06 pm »
Yeah,
I'm designing this as a 1 player machine. I doubt that the exit function will be a problem as you will need to press both Start and Pause at the same time to exit a game. I want to keep the buttons as simple as I can.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 08:08:04 pm »
A lot of vertical classics have 2P alternating which is something to consider although I'm sure you could shift the P2 start button if you wanted. 

Nice design.  Can you provide details on how you are going to use the LCD from the DVD player?  Connections, etc.

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2017, 05:24:57 am
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 04:49:20 pm »
I like your design! :)

A lot of vertical classics have 2P alternating which is something to consider although I'm sure you could shift the P2 start button if you wanted. 

The CP on my build is strictly one player, but I put the second player button on there and added a USB port so I could plug in a gamepad.  My son really likes the cooperative play on some of the vertical games like Twin Cobra and Raiden.

Something to think about.

Complete mini arcade cabinet plans available.

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 10:46:09 pm »
Can you provide details on how you are going to use the LCD from the DVD player?  Connections, etc.

Oh yeah. I'll take some photos and explain everything as best I can when I get to that point in the build. So far I've de-cased the unit and tested the screen to make sure it works.

@Woodshop Flunky
I do plan to have 4 USB ports on the back so having a second player with a USB controller would be possible. Its a great idea but given the size on this cab, its really just ment to be a 1 player affair. Of course the idea of 2 players alternating turns would be totally doable I just dont see this cab being used for 2 players. I do have another larger cabinet that others can play on.

I'm really still on the fence about dropping one button and adding a spinner control. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I love the idea of playing tempest and Arkanoid on it but I dunno if thats worth the extra $80 or so a good spinner would cost.

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 02:11:05 pm »
It looks like I'm going to have to re-think my design. The screen that I got from the portable DVD player is not really 16:9 but something even wider. When I rotate that to a vertical position a large portion of the screen becomes obstructed by the marquee. :banghead: I guess it wouldn't be a problem as long as you were sitting directly in front of it but if you wanted to play standing up at a table it probably won't work. I'm thinking of changing the design to use a larger lcd in landscape mode and add another 3 buttons so I can include the fighters and other horizontal games. I'd like to keep the look of it faithful to my original design if I can. Right now I'm trying to find an affordable lcd that will fit good in there.

I sure am disappointed with myself. I really thought I had the measurements figured out. I hope I can get this back on track and make it turn out cool. I just need to slow down and start thinking things through better. :embarassed:

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 11:12:50 am »
I thought it was time for a small update. I've been thinking about how best to proceed with this build. I've decided on a slightly larger LCD to mount horizontally. This is the one I'm going with:

Pyle Home PLVW9IW 9.2-Inch InWall Mount TFT LCD Flat Panel Monitor

I've started roughing the cab together to get a feel for how things fit, line up, etc. I've learned a lot from all this. For one thing, a standard power supply will not fit in there. So it looks like I'll be spending more money and going with a PicoPSU power supply:

I'm using an old piece of vacuum tube cut in half for a backing to the marquee. I've covered it with reflective duct tape. Then I used a glue gun to attach a 12v LED strip I bought off eBay:

Here's where she sits right now. Starting to take some shape:

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:50:48 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 01:35:46 pm »
That tube idea is brilliant.

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 07:07:13 am »
That tube idea is brilliant.

Thanks man.

That tube idea is similar to what I was going to do, except I was gonna use poster board.   ;D  I'm very curious to see how that thing looks with a marquee in front of it as I'd rather not deal with a light fixture.

I'm really curious about how its gonna look too. It'll be a while before I find out though. The artwork will be the last thing I order. Maybe I can try and print up something on regular paper and light it up to see how it looks. I doubt it will look anything like the real thing but I can try to take a pic later. That will give me a chance to describe the method I'm using to attach the marquee. BTW, if anyone has any recommendations on where I should order my artwork from I'm open to suggestions.

I went ahead and ordered the screen and power supply yesterday. The more parts I get in the more motivated I am to make progress.

battlecat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 22, 2016, 12:53:40 pm
Re: Tabletop cabinet project started
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 11:23:00 am »
Hello:

Is there any chance that you would be willing to post your graphics for editing? I would love to use them for a small cab.

Thanks,
battlecat

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 11:35:53 am »
I'd be happy to. Let me know what file format you prefer and I can email it to you. Also, I've updated my artwork a little since my initial post. Here's what my new artwork is looking like now:

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
Progress report.... LOTS of pics...
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 08:53:23 pm »
Okay folks. Time for another progress report. First off I have made a few modifications to the artwork. I removed the lines from the bezel art because they don't look right with the lines on the control panel.

I've received my LCD from Amazon and connected a Molex connector to supply the 12v from the PC's power supply.

I've de-cased the USB speakers I'm using and started preparing them for my cabinet making everything somewhat modular in case I need to take the thing apart:

I got the speaker holes drilled and routered out a smaller inner section where I will have these speaker grills I've cut from a couple small sheets I picked up on eBay:

I've mounted the control panel using screw inserts and some black hex head screws which look pretty nice:

I ordered these awesome little buttons from arcadeshop.de that I'm using for my Start and Pause buttons. Red button in the frame for size comparison...

I printed a player 1 character on clear laser labels and attached him to the white button. Then I used a clear spray paint to hopefully seal the printed little guy to the button:

Here's a shot with a full sized Player 1 button for comparison:

I couldn't help but try to see what the little buttons will look like with the control panel art. I have a printout of my artwork to use to help me visualize things. I'm liking it so far...

« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:42:36 pm by Vidiot »

Nephasth

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 09:21:30 pm »
Great work so far! I was just looking at those exact 8-32 threaded inserts earlier tonight for the MiniBeast and another project of mine. Thanks for the nudge in the direction of woodworkingparts.com, cheaper than where I was looking at those. I like what you've done with the speakers as well. :applaud:

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 01:49:50 pm »
Great work so far! I was just looking at those exact 8-32 threaded inserts earlier tonight for the MiniBeast and another project of mine. Thanks for the nudge in the direction of woodworkingparts.com, cheaper than where I was looking at those. I like what you've done with the speakers as well. :applaud:

Thanks. I'm glad I had some extras. I had to drill out the holes a little bigger than I thought I would because I broke off one of the inserts with the hex wrench. That brass is really soft and will tear apart.

Well, I'm still making progress. Here's some more pics...

I got the edge on the control panel routered:

Also, I've been thinking about mounting the marquee. I found this edging stuff at Home Depot that should hold the marquee pretty good. Just need to paint it black.

I've got this little single socket travel surge protector that I've bastardized to connect to the power socket so I can connect one standard power cord to power the whole cabinet:

Also, I've been thinking about how I want to wire up the control panel. I found this surface mount box I had lying around and figured I could use CAT5 cable for my CP wiring. This way I can easily disconnect the control panel for removal if necessary:

« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:43:22 pm by Vidiot »

ScottoKong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2018, 08:57:46 am
Re: Tabletop cabinet project....making some progress
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 08:32:59 am »
Hey Vidiot - just stumbled across your thread.  Love the artwork/theme!

Finished yet?
Any updates?

Scotto

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 08:55:18 am »
Hey Vidiot - just stumbled across your thread.  Love the artwork/theme!

Finished yet?
Any updates?

Scotto

Thanks. Sad to say no not yet. I'm going to have some time off at Christmas so hopefully I'll be able to pull myself away from Skyrim and make some progress on it. Thanks for the interest. I'll try to get some new pics up soon.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 07:24:29 pm »
Looking good!
Hey, that edging you are using on your marquee... I like that idea, but I cant find it on home depot's site.
What is it called, exactly? A link would be nice.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 07:33:01 pm »
Is it called F Trim?
I found some on Lowes site, but I have to go look at it, it doesnt give the width of the channel.

link
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 07:48:46 pm by DaOld Man »

wizkid32

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2013, 07:27:03 pm
  • Portland Trailblazers, FTW!
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 07:56:42 pm »
Nice!  I really like custom graphics on the bezel!  I just wish it were a little taller!   :)
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your
(")_(") signature and help him on his quest for world domination.

Best,
Wizkid32

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 12:02:46 am »
DaOld Man, check out this link for corner guards, which you can find on an endcap near the hangtrack shelving aisle of you home depot providing it's set up the same as all the other ones seem to be.  This is the same or similar stuff to what is pictured in this build.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202061351/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Unless you really want clear for your build (I did) they sell aluminum angle bar in a variety of sizes in the hardware section for pretty cheap. 

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 11:11:12 am »
Is it called F Trim?
I found some on Lowes site, but I have to go look at it, it doesnt give the width of the channel.

link

Honestly I don't remember what its called but that sounds right. The pic in your link looks a little different though. I just walked around the store until I found it. I got mine from Home Depot but I have seen it at Lowes as well.

Nice!  I really like custom graphics on the bezel!  I just wish it were a little taller!   :)

Thanks. I had to make it smaller so the viewing angle to the screen would work.

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 10:19:10 pm
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 04:02:17 pm »
this would seem to be a great first cab for a dumb n00b like me. Is the design a complete custom project or is there a place where i can checkout some plans on how to build this myself? I also happened to have found a guy on youtube that made cabs that were quite similar. http://www.youtube.com/user/HurleyEntertainment1

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 05:46:22 pm »
Curious about your monitor choice....  The 9.2 is listed on the website as having a 16x9 aspect ratio but it is also listed as having 640x480 pixels which makes no sense...  I have the 10.4 version of that monitor that is listed at 4x3 with 800x640 (no typo) pixels when it is is actually a 4x3 with 640x480 pixels...  Can you verify the specs of the 9.2  thanks!

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 06:12:44 pm »
this would seem to be a great first cab for a dumb n00b like me. Is the design a complete custom project or is there a place where i can checkout some plans on how to build this myself? I also happened to have found a guy on youtube that made cabs that were quite similar. http://www.youtube.com/user/HurleyEntertainment1

Um. I'm not sure what that says about my project. :-\
This is a design I came up with myself. I don't have any plans made up. I borrowed some art ideas from DrChek's WeeCade "Minicade" cabinet. I definitely draw a lot of inspiration from many of the great projects on this board.

Curious about your monitor choice....  The 9.2 is listed on the website as having a 16x9 aspect ratio but it is also listed as having 640x480 pixels which makes no sense...  I have the 10.4 version of that monitor that is listed at 4x3 with 800x640 (no typo) pixels when it is is actually a 4x3 with 640x480 pixels...  Can you verify the specs of the 9.2  thanks!

It does use 640x480 but it stretches to fit. It doesn't look too bad but it could be much better. Its easy to mount though. I just couldn't find anything else that would fit in there good. I'm going to put a tint film over the screen to improve the contrast.

Cheers.

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 10:19:10 pm
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 06:31:08 pm »

This is a design I came up with myself. I don't have any plans made up. I borrowed some art ideas from DrChek's WeeCade "Minicade" cabinet. I definitely draw a lot of inspiration from many of the great projects on this board.

I'm sorry, I Didn't mean to offend you. Just had a look at your project and thought maybe i could do it too.  :-\

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 06:46:47 pm »

I'm sorry, I Didn't mean to offend you. Just had a look at your project and thought maybe i could do it too.  :-\

So much for the sincerest form of flattery, remember 404 you can't spell Vidiot without...
 :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2011, 07:24:19 pm »
It does use 640x480 but it stretches to fit. It doesn't look too bad but it could be much better. Its easy to mount though. I just couldn't find anything else that would fit in there good. I'm going to put a tint film over the screen to improve the contrast.

Cheers.

Did you check out the 10.4"?  It's not much bigger than the 9.2 and will give you a better aspect ratio.

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2011, 08:15:25 am »
Did you check out the 10.4"?  It's not much bigger than the 9.2 and will give you a better aspect ratio.

I really wanted to use the 10.4 version but I just didn't have the room for it. The 4:3 aspect would be perfect too. :cry:

It's cool. I'm not taking offense it just kinda sounded funny. No worries. I didn't mean to come across as an overly sensitive "idiot" either.

wizkid32

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2013, 07:27:03 pm
  • Portland Trailblazers, FTW!
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2011, 05:41:15 pm »
What did you use to make the speaker grills?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your
(")_(") signature and help him on his quest for world domination.

Best,
Wizkid32

AGarv

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2016, 07:29:18 pm
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2012, 09:24:08 pm »
Some very creative ideas in this thread - the miniature start button is brilliant!

I am in the planning stages of a single player bartop similar in size and your ideas have really helped me a lot.  Looking forward to any updates on this!

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2012, 09:43:49 pm »
Don't know how I missed this, I really like the innovation in this project, mini buttons, marquee light and the pics covering your work.  I know what you mean about Skyrim but you should keep going with it.

:cheers:

Ond

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2012, 06:10:45 pm »
Thanks for the compliments. I do apologize for the lack of updates for those who are interested. I've been taking a break from this project for a while now. Too long. I will be back on it soon though and I'll update this thread when I've made some more progress.

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2012, 05:29:46 pm »
Just a quick shot of the rear panel. I'm still hooking things up. And hoping everything works. lol Red button is power, black button is reset, then volume control, HDMI out, and network port, and 4 USB ports should handle any USB needs that I might have. ;)

AGarv

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2016, 07:29:18 pm
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2012, 07:30:42 pm »
That back panel i really well done - looks sharp!

Can you tell us where the panel and volume knob is from?

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2012, 07:14:05 am »
That back panel i really well done - looks sharp!

Can you tell us where the panel and volume knob is from?

Thanks. I used a 5.25" plastic cover from a black computer case for the panel. I had to router out the back panel to fit it in there. The volume knob came from Radio Shack. They sell that model in a 2 pack.

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2012, 10:18:54 am »
I wanted to post some more pics showing the most recent progress.

The back of the bezel and monitor:

The underside of the CP:

The back door:

These really show what a tight fit it's gonna be inside. I still need to clean up the wiring obviously:

A nice shot of the control panel:

She's starting to look like my artistic rendition: :)

Seith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2018, 10:50:41 am
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2012, 03:04:00 pm »
This is looking pretty wild I must say!  I really love that back panel, so sleek!

DrChek

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 10:41:01 pm
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 03:23:11 pm »
Don't know how this one flew under my radar for so long but really nice build. So tiny and compact, but the quality is top notch. Good job.  :applaud:

dextercf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2022, 05:26:18 pm
  • [thisispersonal]
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2012, 05:24:35 pm »
Love the use of CAT cables for the CP.. That sure is clean and sexy!