Main > Software Forum

Legal roms

(1/2) > >>

SirPoonga:
Which roms are legal.  I think HowardC said Capsom games over 3 years are legal.  Any others?

Someone wants me and my friend to put out flash frontend in a design contest.  I only want to put legal roms in the demo.

tom61:
This is a gray area, for the most part.

There are some roms that the manufacturer gives everyone a license to use it, as long as they do not charge for them. You can find these on Mame.net

There are some roms where the copyright on them is now gone, usually by the company dieing. You can find these on Mame.net

Any game you own you can emulate legally, pending you you copy the roms yourself, and do not circumvent any copy protection(the last item is because of the DCMA).

You can get license to some games. Capcom rom licenses can be bought from Hanaho, by buying one of their 'Coin-Op  Classics' discs (which actually run Mame). Using Capcom roms without buying licenses is illegal, no matter how old they are.

SirPoonga:
Yyeah, I know all that, my main point was are there games like the Capcoms out there.  HC gets the Capcom newsletter.  He said they said technically a copywrite is on the game but they aren;t going to enforce you having roms older than 3 years old unless you try and make money off of them.

since I am doing it for a demo that is exactly what I need.

tom61:
If all you're worried about is enforcement, I don't think any company is currently going after end users.

SirPoonga:
In my own house I'm not quite as nal about it.  But I was wondering if other companies have the same policy Capcom, that's an official non-enforcement policy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version