Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Any interest in original cab dimensions  (Read 91467 times)

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
Re:Any interest in original cab dimensions
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2003, 12:17:45 am »
Ms. Pac-Man / Galaga added

www.jakobud.com

Here's the tally so far:

Centipede
Defender
LuSid's Arcade Flashback
Mortal Kombat
Ms. Pac-Man / Galaga
Q*Bert

RetroJames

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2021, 05:26:38 pm
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2003, 11:12:34 pm »
I will send you Super Off Road in a couple days.  Is visio 2000 ok or would you prefer a jpg?  Sorry if it is in the thread already, but I jumped to the end.  

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2003, 12:17:36 am »
You can send me whatever you want as long as I can look at it.  For all I care you can draw it on a piece of paper and scan it and email it to me.

menace

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2023, 10:57:06 am
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2003, 12:15:31 pm »
too cool!! super offroad!!  awesome!
its better to not post and be thought a fool, then to whip out your keyboard and remove all doubt...

macattack

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 03, 2018, 05:35:16 pm
  • Cabinet builder to the stars!
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2003, 04:03:51 pm »
come on guys its gone quiet, just when its starting to get good.  Now who's got the details for a DK or Popeye machine, maybe a nice pacman/galaga cabaret machine.

any one thought of using these designs for side templates, makes life oh soooo much asier when it comes to actually cutting the bloomin things.
Pm me for custom cnc needs...

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2003, 03:37:28 am »
Well it is a little quiet.  Honestly it's been difficult for me to get people to send me dimensions of things.  And there is only so much I can find on the internet.  I'm still slowly working on a pacman/galaxian cabinet plan and I also found some 'semi-accurate' dragon's lair II plans... but they are slightly incomplete.  And I haven't been able to find tempest plans that are accurate and complete.

I 'have' been contacted by several people about using my plans as templates, mainly ms. pac-man/galaga simply because there is no easy way to cut/draw the long sweeping curves in the plans.  My plans give extremely accurate approximations of the true curves using radius', but thats difficult to draw and cut on a piece of wood without a template.  Anyways, all my drawings are to scale... pretty much all the plans are 1" = 1' (or 1:12) so if you simply scale the drawings up by a factor of 12 you will have their full size 1:1 cabinet template.

Anyone....ff you have cabinet plans PLEASE email them to me or Personal Message me.  I would love to get up as many plans as possible so that everyone can benefit.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 03:38:23 am by Jakobud »

tekfreak

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 15, 2003, 08:37:09 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2003, 07:32:30 pm »
I just want to say that I think what you are doing is very cool!  My Tron project would be in the building phase by now, but I'm having trouble getting the monitor bezel shipped to the UK, due to its size -

Sooooo in the mean time, can I request that someone (menace if you get the chance) measures the radius of the curves on a Tron machine. May as well get it as accurate as I possibly can.

I'd also be interested in which (exact replica) two player cabinet would make the best MAME machine? I'm toying with X-Men Children of the Atom, but would prefer something even more retro... (Has to be cool looking though -  to get past 'she who must be obeyed'  :) )

menace

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2003, 07:29:42 am »
Alright--next time i'm at my brothers (might be a couple of weeks depending on the real-life stuff) I will get your corner radii (as close as i can) and the inside layout of the tempest for jakobud.  I will also get the neo-geo cab done as these have a very roomy two player control panle and nice shape for a mame machine--it was my first choice but the cab i have now was free so you can't beat that.

Jakobud:
And I haven't been able to find tempest plans that are accurate and complete.

I'm confused, these plans may be incomplete but they are not inaccurate--let me know what you think is incorrect and I will double check the dimension.
its better to not post and be thought a fool, then to whip out your keyboard and remove all doubt...

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2003, 02:10:43 pm »

Jakobud:
And I haven't been able to find tempest plans that are accurate and complete.

I'm confused, these plans may be incomplete but they are not inaccurate--let me know what you think is incorrect and I will double check the dimension.

Sorry I mean't to say incomplete or inaccurate.  Your dimensions seem accurate but just missing quite a few parts regarding the maquee area, bezel angle, control panel angle, and kickpanel area.

dphirschler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2021, 10:32:54 am
    • dphirschler homepage
« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2003, 06:44:07 pm »
Here's Asteroids Deluxe.  If you are going for extreme accuracy, then I would suggest verifying these measurements... expecially the 33 1/2" measurement.

Darryl

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2003, 08:34:20 pm »
Thanks for the asteroids deluxe dimensions.... however they are very incomplete.... there is so much that they picture does not explain or show...  :(  There are several dimensions on there that are missing that would be needed to even draw the thing properly.  Like the height from the floor straight up the front to where it starts to flare outwords for example.  How could someone create that drawing and forget a simple dimension like that??

menace

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2003, 07:47:25 am »
what i find easiest is to start at the back corner and measure everything in terms of up and over from this one fixed reference point (or x/y for you math types)  like the front would be 0 up and 25 over or something like that.  With these numbers it draws itself.  All the corners are taken at the center where the edges would have met had they not been rounded off--this is inprecise but considering that we're only building cabinets (and not say rocket ships), I'm sure it's okay--just my .02 ;D

dphirschler

• Offline Offline
    • dphirschler homepage
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2003, 08:57:25 am »
I realize the Asteroids Deluxe dimensions are incomplete.  I took the measurements at an auction and later on noticed the glaring omissions.  Sorry.  Still I believe there is some value to the incomplete measurements.

To make the drawing you see there, I superimposed a side view of an Asteroids Deluxe cabinet on a grid.  Each grid square equals one inch.  I then stretched the grid until the measurements lined up with known values suce as the height and width of the side.  

Known problems:

1. The 33 1/2 measurement did not work out so I made the assumption that I had written it down in the wrong place.  I had originally written that measurement from the floor to the under side of the cpanel.

2. There was an angled piece of glass that prevented me from taking measurements behind it.  I drew it using a dotted line and approximated the lines behind the glass.

Anyways, that is all I have for now.  I am working on some more measurements of other cabs including Asteroids, Donkey Kong, Ms Pac, Galaga.  Those are all at a friends house and we just need to work out a time when we can get together.

Darryl

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2003, 02:11:01 pm »
Okay thanks dph.  I didnt realize that the Asteroids cabinet picture you posted was actually to scale.  That makes things a little easier.

Btw, I don't need Ms Pacman/Galaga, as I already have posted dimensionf for that cabinet on my website.

macattack

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 03, 2018, 05:35:16 pm
  • Cabinet builder to the stars!
« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2003, 03:00:29 pm »
ohhh Donkey Kong Pleassssssssssssssssssssssssssssssse

when your ready of course.

Pm me for custom cnc needs...

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2003, 04:28:52 pm »
Yeah I have contacted several different people about getting me either Popeye, DK, DK Jr or Mario Bros dimensions (as I believe they are all the same cabinet) but every single person I have asked this of has flaked... Hopefully someone will come through someday.

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2003, 08:41:59 pm »
Mortal Kombat dimensions. If these drawings aren't complete enough let me know. I have this cab now and can measure or take photos of anything that isn't clear.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/sugg3d/MAME/CabinetSketch.html

My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2003, 01:37:56 am »
thanks eightbit.... but i guess you didn't check the rest of the thread or my website cause i already have mortal kombat dimensions posted.  Thanks for the effeort though!  Those look like very good and complete dimensions.  Thanks again!

usedelectronics

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2019, 02:57:37 am
« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2003, 02:03:51 am »
Someone nearby has a gutted DLII cab I'd be willing to measure..
Do you have the specs on the Atari system II Sprint/paperboy cabs? If not I can grab those too.

NickS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 11, 2014, 06:59:58 am
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2003, 03:13:56 am »
Someone nearby has a gutted DLII cab I'd be willing to measure..
Do you have the specs on the Atari system II Sprint/paperboy cabs? If not I can grab those too.

That would be great to have the dimensions of both those cabs.

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2003, 12:48:51 pm »
Yes I second that.  I actually have a DLII cabinet almost completely drawn up but there were a lot of missing dimensions from my source.... so I had to let it sit until I could find another one to measure and finish up the drawings.

If you could measure both of those cabinets that would be very good.  Just email me or PM me as soon as you can about it.

southpaw13

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2020, 05:11:18 pm
  • Whatever!
« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2003, 03:47:23 am »
Great thread going here...
Do you think that we will ever see the dimensions of a Cliff Hanger Cab?   Thanks

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2003, 01:09:51 pm »
Perhaps.... that is if someone has access to one and was willing to send me dimensions for it.  I would totally draw it up.  This project relies a lot of people willing to take the time to take a few measurements and send them to me... but its harder to convince people to do that than you would think :)  I've sent messages to lots of people on this board who own original cabinets and they almost all have the same response "sure i'll measure it for you when i get around to it".... which appears to be never :)  Only a few people (you know who you are...thank you) have hooked me up :)  So to sum up, if anyone has a Cliff Hanger cabinet or has access to one I would draw it up immediately if they could send me the info.

southpaw13

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2020, 05:11:18 pm
  • Whatever!
« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2003, 11:57:27 pm »
Here are the only measurements that I have collected over the years for a Cliff Hanger Cab.
Marquee  22-7/8 x 6-3/4  in
CONTROL PANEL 22-7/8 x 7-3/4  in
Cabinet height 179 cm
Width of the side 81 cm

I'm not sure any of this will help, but it's a start!!!!

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2003, 03:32:25 am »
Yeah thats a start..... but there is a lot more to it than that...

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2003, 08:45:40 am »
Do you have this one yet? Dragons Lair 2 dimensions.
http://www.brightsight.com/Arcade/DL2/Cabinet/default.asp
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

mmmPeanutButter

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2020, 07:49:09 am
  • better living through gaming
« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2003, 01:19:46 pm »
Just curious--would anyone be interested in providing webspace to store original arcade cabinet dimensions?  i.e. you could build your own centipede, q-bert, pac-man etc. cab ala carsten's centipede--would anyone be interested in having those plans? (not by me exclusively as I only own 2 cabs)

I just thought that was a neat idea but difficult for people who don't have access to original cabs.

I could provide (upon serious request only):
q-bert
berzerk
tron
centipede
burgertime (peter pepper version)
turbo
pole position II
battlezone
fast freddie
tempest
neo-geo
asteroids (maybe)

Yea, menace, I am seriously interested in dimensions for the burgertime cab.  I am looking into making a (slightly modified) mame cabinet with the burgertime shape and artwork.  If you could provide the measurements, that would be much appreciated!!

Has anybody else shown interest in the Burgertime cab dimensions??

Thanks.

Jonathan

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2003, 03:29:10 pm »
Do you have this one yet? Dragons Lair 2 dimensions.
http://www.brightsight.com/Arcade/DL2/Cabinet/default.asp

Yeah I have DL2 plans about 90% done but there seems to be a couple missing dimensions from those plans.

menace

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2003, 03:52:20 pm »
nobody has asked about burgertime ( and i was hoping no one would-- i have no ide a how to measure peter's hat :-[ ???)  But i will give it a try--I'm going to my brother's this friday so i will get more tempest measurements and take a stab at burgertime for ya.

soslo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2012, 03:23:36 pm
  • The Governator
    • My website does not have a name yet
« Reply #109 on: November 19, 2003, 03:55:03 pm »
that would be cool jakobud. I've been to your site - it is great. It would be nice if there was one central place to go for cab plans...
5 MAME cabs and counting...

Ever wonder what full side art looks like?
http://www.aaronmurray.com

mmmPeanutButter

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2020, 07:49:09 am
  • better living through gaming
« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2003, 04:02:09 pm »
nobody has asked about burgertime ( and i was hoping no one would-- i have no ide a how to measure peter's hat :-[ ???)  But i will give it a try--I'm going to my brother's this friday so i will get more tempest measurements and take a stab at burgertime for ya.

I like to be as difficult as possible...  I don't know where you are located, but if you can get a good tracing and (snail) mail it to me, I can put it into autocad accurately for the plans.  As long as there is some reference to where the tracing begins (like the paper was held horizontally xx inches from the bottom of the cab and then traced - this way it can be done correctly)

I guess this request goes out to anyone who had a burgertime cab.  I'd prefer if Jacobud would do the bulk of the drawing - but I could take care of the hat part - if I can get the tracing supplied.  Just drop me a message if there are any takers.

Thanks.

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2003, 04:04:54 pm »
If you have a digital camera and could get a straight on shot of it with a ruler or something to show the scale in the picture you should be able to accurately reproduce it.

dphirschler

• Offline Offline
    • dphirschler homepage
« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2003, 04:07:07 pm »
To get Burgurtime's rouded top, you could draw out a grid of 1"x1" squares on plexi.  Then photograph it over the cab.

Darryl

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2003, 07:50:40 pm »
This is what he needs to do to get the tracing correct.  Just take some sheets of graphpaper and hold them up behind the curved part.  Then take a picture of the side up close so you can see the graph paper.  This will allow me to create the curves in Autocad quite accurately with only a photograph.  The graph paper would be there just for reference so I can tell the curvature of the panel.

menace, what cabinets do you have access to at your brothers?  Try to get all the plans you can get if you are going there in a few days.

depressd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2019, 04:29:33 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2003, 10:29:22 pm »
I have plans for a pacman cocktail table. Anyone interested in me sending it. I found it posted on a cabinet site a while back. I assume it's not copyrighted or anything. The two files are in pdf format.

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: November 21, 2003, 06:07:34 pm »
I think i already have the same ones but i just haven't had a chance to draw them up yet.  Send them to me and I'll make sure they are the same.

depressd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2019, 04:29:33 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #116 on: November 21, 2003, 09:35:41 pm »
The plans have been sent

menace

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: November 24, 2003, 05:05:23 am »
checked the burgertime cab--its just a ms.pacman /galaga cab with a small flourish where his hat is--if you want to accurately reproduce it get a picture of peter--superimpose it on the side of the cab extending it 6-8" above the top of the cab and approx. 3-4" to the front--then trace.  It would have taken way too long to accurately trace this just so someone could see what it looks like.--sorry

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: November 24, 2003, 10:26:16 am »
menace were you able to get any other dimensions of the other cabinets you have access to at your brothers?  Like the rest of the tempest and/or tron dimensions?

menace

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: November 24, 2003, 10:51:11 am »
Oh yeah, I did get the rest of the tempest--as much as there was anyways--the control panel is 7" deep at a slight incline (couldn't accurately measure) but it's likely 5-10 degrees.  I will post a pic to demonstrate.  there will be no more tron measurements coming since the enitire inside of the cab (from edge of control panel to top of monitor) is all plastic inserts that are pretty complex.  If someone wants to recreate those I would be quite surprised :)

I likely won't be getting anymore cabinet measurements unless they are by request--I feel like all I seem to be doing is keeping your website busy    :P So if someone wants one in particular--just ask.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2003, 10:55:03 am by menace »