Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Any interest in original cab dimensions  (Read 91496 times)

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
Re:Any interest in original cab dimensions
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2003, 02:21:08 am »
So, Jakobud. Basically, if I go measure up my cabinets, and then make some basic drawings, and send you the info, then you can make up some plans?

Right on! With your OK, I will start measuring my Midway 8080 cabinet tommorrow.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Carsten Carlos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2014, 05:06:25 am
  • Projects: Centipede extended, Asteroids
    • Carlos' Centipede-extended
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2003, 04:41:19 am »
So, Jakobud. Basically, if I go measure up my cabinets, and then make some basic drawings, and send you the info, then you can make up some plans?

Yep, he helped me with drawing the sides of my Centipede-cab 18 months ago, thanx again! As you can see the final product turned out well :)

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2003, 03:35:10 pm »

Right on! With your OK, I will start measuring my Midway 8080 cabinet tommorrow.

Yeah exactly.  I can draw up whatever you want.  And then on my website I could easily make a little section dedicated to hosting all these plans.  I can host an actual Autocad file for each plan, and also maybe a PDF and JPEG or some vector format that everyone can read.

Birdtales

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2020, 10:00:31 am
  • You won't like me when I'm angry.
    • Birdtales
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2003, 03:46:16 pm »
I was going to try to do the autocad thing to the dimensions for the Joust Cocktail Edgedamage measured for us. I just can't seem to find the time. The measurements are here if you want to try to draw them out Jakobud.

http://www.birdtales.com/edge

Coming Soon

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2003, 09:47:17 pm »
Birdtales,

I'm afraid I'm gonna need a little more than that.... or something different at least... In almost all those pictures I can't tell what part it is and I can't tell from where you are measuring from.. the easier thing to do would be to just draw some basic dimensions on a piece of paper, scan it and send it to me.  I will look again through those drawings but at first glance I couldnt tell what was what.

Birdtales

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2020, 10:00:31 am
  • You won't like me when I'm angry.
    • Birdtales
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2003, 10:01:04 pm »
Not my pics. Edgedamage needed some place to put them. I'll try to decypher them again I guess. :)

Coming Soon

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2003, 05:59:19 pm »
I have a page for this at  http://www.arcadecontrols.org/arcade_cabinet_plans.shtml#dimensions -- I'd be happy to host your cad files if you'd like, or  equally as well if you'll give me a heads up I'll link to your page from the page above and post news blurbs when you make updates?  Looking forward to seeing them!

--- saint

Okay so I used to do a lot of AutoCAD for a living and could easily draw up all of these plans in a standard format that anyone could use and read easily.  And then I could host them on my website (cause wading thru this thread, I can't tell where these things are being hosted).  I could do some major cleanup work on these drawings and if anyone wanted me to draw up some plans from scratch I could easily do that too.  I could host the Autocad files and maybe PDF conversions of everything too.  Would anyone be interested in me doing this?
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2003, 04:34:49 am »
I noticed something, Even though many of these are JAMMA cabinets they use standard units, not metric.  Everything comes out to an even measurement in standard.  I noticed that with my Dynamo cabinet too.  BTW, I have almost all the measurements just I don;t have CAD skills right now.  I'm not sure if I will get my mini cabinet done fore the contest.

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2003, 11:56:58 pm »
I think I can make Autocad automatically adjust the units to SI or US units.  I can post two versions of cad files if necessary.

CGRemakes

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2008, 12:52:09 pm
  • Free Frogger clone! (click on my sig)
    • Classic Game Remakes
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2003, 12:08:40 am »
I don't want to step on anyones toes, but if you are interested I would be happy to host your website (I can put it together as well, no problems), and have an extra domain name that can be used.  If you are interested, just send an email to webmaster@classic-game-remakes.com

MinerAl

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2023, 07:11:28 am
  • duck
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2003, 12:18:19 am »
Maybe there could be a set of mirror sites so if one goes down the others have the info.  I know every time I NEED something from a hobby web site, the sitre goes down about 2 seconds before I finish typing the address.  

Probably not necessary, but if we establish this as a "no one entity owns it" movement from the beginning we won't have the it-used-to-be-free-but-now-it's-$20 problem later.

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2003, 02:13:55 am »
Hehe...well if it makes you feel any better, just because i have them hosted, i wouldn't ever charge money for dimensions of these cabs.  I'm not here for money.  Just for the hobby.

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2003, 11:02:12 pm »
http://kineplex.tzo.com/cabinetplans.htm

Apparently a site that has Dragons Lair, Tron, Space Duel and Asteroids!!!!
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

tbombaci

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 01:01:26 am
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2003, 02:29:53 pm »
This site has awesome Autocad DWG's and PDF's of Galaga, Dragons Lair, Tempest, a cocktail and a generic. I am using the Galaga for a mini Ms Pacman for my son! I just scaled the drawing in Autocad for my needs (65%). The author used real dimensions, so they scaled as well.

http://www.mameworld.net/massive/How-to/Cabinet_Plans/cabinet_plans.html

The drawing files are zipped at the bottom of the page.

-tom

tekfreak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 15, 2003, 08:37:09 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2003, 04:10:11 pm »
I'd be VERY interested in TRON dimensions and drawings, I'm trying to build a replica cabinet as it costs twice the US cost of an old TRON machine to ship it from the US to the UK.
I've been buying old components, but until I can get the plans for a cabinet I can't even think about putting the bits together.
My intention is to put up a website on how I built this thing once it's complete, as it's going to have a MAME PC inside instead of an old flakey board set. So any help I can get will be duly noted. And I'd be happy to either host plans or have links to other pages.

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2003, 11:30:19 pm »
Okay guys, I have added a Cabinet Plans section to my website.  I am going to make available DWF, PDF, and JPG versions of cabinet plans.  So far the only thing I have put together are some Centipede plans.  I am going to be adding more.  If you guys have any plans you want me to draw up just email me (hopefully you have some dimensions in some sort of form for me to use).

Go there: www.jakobud.com

Start sending me links and cabinet plans for whatever you want drafted :)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2003, 11:33:42 pm by Jakobud »

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2003, 04:48:05 pm »
Q*Bert and Defender added

menace

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2023, 10:57:06 am
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2003, 09:45:53 am »
nicely done!

Intent to measure-Tempest and tron this week sometime--i will detail tron a bit since someone is seriously looking to build a replica.  an others?

available:

berzerk
asteroids
fast freddie
battlezone
turbo
pole position
its better to not post and be thought a fool, then to whip out your keyboard and remove all doubt...

JLR2000

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2021, 02:49:16 pm
  • There is NO Sanctuary...
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2003, 12:10:58 pm »
Anyone have access to dimensions for a Battlezone Cabaret?  I'd be interested in the regular Battlezone dimensions as well, but a cabaret would be super-sweet.

Thanks in advance.  This thread is a great idea, Mame is to preserve the games, the dimensions archive can preserve the actual cabinet designs....

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2003, 12:13:20 pm by JLR2000 »

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2003, 01:17:59 pm »
nicely done!

Intent to measure-Tempest and tron this week sometime--i will detail tron a bit since someone is seriously looking to build a replica.  an others?

available:

berzerk
asteroids
fast freddie
battlezone
turbo
pole position

menace if you could come up with some dimensions for all of those cabinets I would love to draft them and put them up.  When you draw up some dimensions it would be fine if you just drew up sketches on a piece of paper and fax it to send to me.  Don't worry about making it all neat.

NickS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 11, 2014, 06:59:58 am
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2003, 02:03:31 pm »
Does anyone have an upright Atari Star Wars that they could measure up the dimensions for ?. I have been collecting all the parts and would love to be able to put them in a cabinet that is replica of the original.

menace

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2003, 02:38:42 pm »
jakobud--can i send you a quick microstation file instead?  I will try and get some measurements next time I'm at my brother's--won't be all at once since we have to pull them out to measure but I'll trickle them in as they come.
its better to not post and be thought a fool, then to whip out your keyboard and remove all doubt...

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2003, 04:28:42 pm »
I don't know what Micostation is.   Some sort of CAD program i take it? I 'might' be able to figure out how to read that in to Autocad... maybe there is a plugin or something. Feel free to send it. But all you need to do is quickly sketch out the rough shape of the cabinet on a piece of paper and draw some dimensions, scan it and email it to me.  You obviously dont need to worry about it being to scale or anything like that.  Heck you could draw it with crayon if you had too as long as the dimensions were legible.

update: yeah go ahead and send me a microstation file if you want.  *.DGN filetype, right?  I think I can find a way to get that into autocad.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2003, 06:41:02 pm by Jakobud »

tekfreak

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2003, 05:23:15 pm »
nicely done!

Intent to measure-Tempest and tron this week sometime--i will detail tron a bit since someone is seriously looking to build a replica.

Things have moved on further in the last couple of days, I've now got an original tron coin door and monitor bezel to add to my control board, I've tracked down most of the parts apart from the artwork behind the bezel. I've also agreed a price with an extremely talented patern maker I know to make the custom panels.  ;D
In a nutshell any plans you guys can come up with will be absolutley brilliant, because I have the equivelant of one of those 5000 piece jigsaws and no box!

A huge thank you in advance...

Daryl

microwrx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2008, 09:22:02 am
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2003, 05:41:40 am »
Hi folks

Does anybody know where I can get my hands on plans/dimensions for a dedicated Gyruss machine?

thanks

macattack

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 03, 2018, 05:35:16 pm
  • Cabinet builder to the stars!
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2003, 01:51:23 pm »
Guys, another offer to host anything you want (plans, graphic scans etc).  website is under construction right now, but more than happy to setup the ftp site for you.

I have built a pacman based on the plans found the on the net both upright and cocktail and they are spot on.  Looking at starting to sell finished cabs in the UK also.

attached is an old pic of the pacman cabinet before the joystick and coin door went on

Would like to especially find the plans /dimensions for a Nintendo cab (DK, popeye etc)

www.arcades-r-us.com
www.arcades-r-us.com\cabinets
« Last Edit: October 15, 2003, 01:53:23 pm by macattack »
Pm me for custom cnc needs...

menace

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2003, 08:29:44 am »
Here's Tron and Tempest--As always corners are all rounded to allow for t-molding (straight lines drawn for simplicity)  the tron has no sharp angles whatsoever except at the floor.  I didn't measure any bezels or anything because they are a standard package (and would be a ---smurfette--- to measure)  The same applies to tempest--where t-molding goes around a corner, that corner is curved.  Enjoy!  And post pics of finished products!

menace

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2003, 08:30:23 am »
And tempest...

menace

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2003, 08:37:46 am »
Just as a courtesy folks--if you use the plans and then post them on a website--could you give the guy who originally measured and posted the plans a nod (i.e me)--nobody likes it when you pass off someone else's work as your own ;D

dphirschler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2021, 10:32:54 am
    • dphirschler homepage
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2003, 11:34:05 am »
I measured an "Asteroids Deluxe" cabinet about a year ago.  I can post my drawings if there is any interest.  

I also have decent dimensions for "Loco Motion" - a standard Konami cabinet I believe (same as used for Phoenix).  My measurements were interpolated from the width/height dimensions posted on their flyer, and a good side angle photograph.  I am building a MAME cabinet based on those dimensions.

Also, a hint for the rounded corners:  I cut straight angles.  Then later I used a Pepsi bottle cap for the small rounded corners, and a spray paint can for the larger rounded corners.  Worked out pretty well.

Darryl

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2003, 01:47:05 pm »
Sweet, Tempest and Tron....two designs I have had a hard time finding.  Thanks a bunch menace.  I will post those right away.  And I will add credit to the respective people too. Good suggestion.  I am also toying with the idea of offering SVG (scalable vector graphics) on top of all the other formats I am offering.... that is, if I can find a DWG2SVG converter...

I'm working on a couple other drawings at the moment.  I'll have them up soon.

Guys if you have dimensions for ANY cabs, please feel free to send them to me and I will post them.  I'm trying to start an archive and its gonna take some time but I know a lot of people here have access to cabs.  There is actually an arcade about 2 hours from where I live with pretty much every single classic in it.  I'm thinking about driving all the way there just to measure them all :)  Anyways, send me your dimensions.  Goto my website for details.

tekfreak

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2003, 02:29:11 pm »
Thanks again Menace.

I'll post pics of the cab as soon as it's built.

soslo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2012, 03:23:36 pm
  • The Governator
    • My website does not have a name yet
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2003, 01:47:56 pm »
this is great, keep em coming  ;D
5 MAME cabs and counting...

Ever wonder what full side art looks like?
http://www.aaronmurray.com

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2003, 04:19:09 pm »
I added Lusid's Arcade Flashback drawings to my site last night.  I'll add a few more tonight.

www.jakobud.com

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2003, 08:50:02 pm »
I added Lusid's Arcade Flashback drawings to my site last night.  I'll add a few more tonight.

www.jakobud.com

You are the BOMB man! Keep up the good work!
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

Hyperion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2010, 01:03:14 pm
  • Titan of Light!
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2003, 10:38:52 am »
Does anyone have any cabaret cabinet dimensions?

]-[yperion

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2003, 12:13:35 am »
Mortal Kombat cabinet added.

www.jakobud.com

Ghoul

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2004, 08:59:06 am
  • Karate Fish Master
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2003, 06:42:06 pm »
A ms. pac cocktail would be great to have detailed drawings on. Basically:

- The sides

- Where to place speaker panels/coin door/cps

- Dimensions for the wood that surrounds the cp

- How far recessed the panels are on the ms. pac. Ms. Pac cocktails' side panels went out farther than their front panels.

- For the top there are already detailed drawings floating around

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2003, 07:38:49 pm »
Okay if you can point me to some of the plans out there for a MS Pacman cocktail then I would be happy to draw them up.

I am currently working on both Pacman/Galaxian and Ms Pacman/Galaga cabinets but I'm finding it difficult to create dimensions for the long curved shapes in them.  Its hard to create dimensions for the curves in a way that someone else can look at it and understand how to exactly reproduce the same curvature...

Ghoul

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2004, 08:59:06 am
  • Karate Fish Master
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2003, 07:44:01 pm »
Okay if you can point me to some of the plans out there for a MS Pacman cocktail then I would be happy to draw them up.

I am currently working on both Pacman/Galaxian and Ms Pacman/Galaga cabinets but I'm finding it difficult to create dimensions for the long curved shapes in them.  Its hard to create dimensions for the curves in a way that someone else can look at it and understand how to exactly reproduce the same curvature...

I would love to, but unfortunately I don't have access to the game. I know there's tons of people out there with that style of midway cocktail, just no one seems to have really documented it.